Sign in with
Your question

New monitor on older pc and nvida geforce2 mx400

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 1, 2009 10:17:35 PM

I've been using a 21 inch Sony Trinitron flat screen CRT on my older pc (2003) with a nvidia geforce 2 mx400 card. My monitor is being looked at by a monitor repair shop because the image has gone concave on the sides. If they can't repair it, and I have to get a new monitor, my question is this: will a new lcd digital monitor be able to work with my nvidia card? I see an extra hookup that looks different from the analog hookup on the nvidia slot on the back side of my pc, but I'm not sure if that means I can use a more modern monitor or will I have to find another CRT. Thanks in advance for nay help.
September 22, 2009 12:03:57 PM

I think what your talking about is VGA and DVI imputs, if you get a new lcd monitor it will most probably come with a DVI imput, where your card has a VGA imput (I googled your card, its blue colored around it, right?) Anyways, I found you a Female DVI to Male VGA imput for you. Female DVI -> Male VGA $12. Baisically just put that between where your monitor plugs in to the card and it should work fine. But you could always look into a new card as well. your card -looks- like it is connected via a PCI x16 slot. So just about any card should plug in as long as its compatable, But thats a whole new thing. Anyways, Theres the long answer.

*Edit*

Oh wow, I didn't notice how old this question was. Well, if your still around the answer is relevant!
September 22, 2009 12:06:26 PM

Thanks very much!
September 22, 2009 12:08:25 PM

I'm shocked nobody answered this early.. I actually have the opposite, I have a lcd monitor from about 2004 that came with a dell package and I have to use a VGA -> DVI imput =( But its okay, its my secondary monitor.
!