A few months ago I loaded Windows XP Pro on a computer that had been running
Windows ME. The XP
Activated without any problem. This week, while attempting to update, it did
a Validation check which failed. The error message was, "Validation Failure:
Invalid Product Key". If the Product Key was "Invalid", why did XP activate?

Don

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:15:04 -0500, "Don Madsen"
<donald-madsen@uiowa.edu> wrote:

>A few months ago I loaded Windows XP Pro on a computer that had been running
>Windows ME. The XP
>Activated without any problem. This week, while attempting to update, it did
>a Validation check which failed. The error message was, "Validation Failure:
>Invalid Product Key". If the Product Key was "Invalid", why did XP activate?
>
>Don

I think microsoft might have to give up the wga piracy protection. It
becoming a pain even for preinstalled systems.

I hope you xp your bought is legit.

You key might have got messed up during install-it does happens. Use
the same key you used to install windows xp.

Create a system restore point (Just in case it does not work-you can
restore this from windows safe mode-F8 twice)

Don’t not do this in safe mode!
Make sure you do this from an administrator account

Connect to the Internet
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
Version\WPAEvents
In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the run box, type the following command, and then click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
activate Windows, and then click Next.

Click Change Product key to the key you installed.

Type the product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later
DON’T reboot.

In the run box, type the following command, and then click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Chose internet than activate. You will need to allow connection from
your firewall.

In the run box, type the following command

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

And you will see this message.

Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.

reboot

This should allow wga to work.

Greg R

One more thing before your run the valadation again
If this is a file called LegitCheckControl.dll is there

regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll

then delete it.

You might want to do this first.

Greg Ro