Sign in home page

Charlie

My correct sign in page is http://www.yahoo.com. My ISP is
swbell.net and I was on the phone with their support for
45 minutes earlier today with the following problem and
they referred me to an 800 number for Microsoft.

When I open Microsoft Internet Explorer instead of taking
me to yahoo.com it opens a page called
http:/www.bigwebportal.com and the web page shows
HOTWEBSEARCH. Also a status bar now appears for
bigwebsearch and several items that I never added to
favorites appear. The added items in bigwebsearch toolbar
& favorites sites are: DATING; ENHANCE LIFE; GAMES; HOW TO
MAKE MONEY; SEARCH & SOFTWARE.

I need to remove bigwebportal and all of the associated
items under Toolbars & Favorites, since some items are
inappropriate. I don't want are need any of these sites
and definitely don't want my grand children accessing
them.

try to uninstall it from add/ remove program

Sounds like this should be posted to the Internet Explorer newsgroup.

"Charlie" <brooksjr@swbell.net> wrote in message
> My correct sign in page is http://www.yahoo.com. My ISP is
> swbell.net and I was on the phone with their support for
> 45 minutes earlier today with the following problem and
> they referred me to an 800 number for Microsoft.
>
> When I open Microsoft Internet Explorer instead of taking
> me to yahoo.com it opens a page called
> http:/www.bigwebportal.com and the web page shows
> HOTWEBSEARCH. Also a status bar now appears for
> bigwebsearch and several items that I never added to
> favorites appear. The added items in bigwebsearch toolbar
> & favorites sites are: DATING; ENHANCE LIFE; GAMES; HOW TO
> MAKE MONEY; SEARCH & SOFTWARE.
>
> I need to remove bigwebportal and all of the associated
> items under Toolbars & Favorites, since some items are
> inappropriate. I don't want are need any of these sites
> and definitely don't want my grand children accessing
> them.

joker

This is spyware/adware. This newsgroup is only for the Microsoft
Broadband networking hardware, NOT the Internet in general.

I'd recommend downloading both ad-aware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com
and Spybot Search & Destroy. You can find the second one on a google
search.

Once again this is an Internet explorer issue & it should have been
posted over there because that is where the people who know IE hang out.

You just got lucky that I answered and know something.

Charlie wrote:

> My correct sign in page is http://www.yahoo.com. My ISP is
> swbell.net and I was on the phone with their support for
> 45 minutes earlier today with the following problem and
> they referred me to an 800 number for Microsoft.
>
> When I open Microsoft Internet Explorer instead of taking
> me to yahoo.com it opens a page called
> http:/www.bigwebportal.com and the web page shows
> HOTWEBSEARCH. Also a status bar now appears for
> bigwebsearch and several items that I never added to
> favorites appear. The added items in bigwebsearch toolbar
> & favorites sites are: DATING; ENHANCE LIFE; GAMES; HOW TO
> MAKE MONEY; SEARCH & SOFTWARE.
>
> I need to remove bigwebportal and all of the associated
> items under Toolbars & Favorites, since some items are
> inappropriate. I don't want are need any of these sites
> and definitely don't want my grand children accessing
> them.

I am having the same problem as "charlie",but on 2 other computers in
our home. On mine, I have spyware. On the others I don't. I've read
some other posts but they are not helpful.
I hope someone replies to "CHARLIE" of 8/24/04 soon!!!
FYI- I went into Tools, INternet Options and changed home page. That
DID NOT work.
FYI -I went into Tools, INternet options - Security and put
bigwebportal on a restricted site. That DIDN't HELP either.

go here
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

follow all the steps

--