I've a Segate 80 GB HDD partioned into two NTFS partitions with the primary
and bootable partion loaded with Windows XP Professional SP2 [This is the
C:]. I also have got a Samsung 40 GB HDDwith two partitions which has Windows
ME. Windows ME is installed on the logical partion. Both the partitions on
this 40 GB are in FAT 32. Now my question is: I have the 80 GB HDD connected
to Primary Master IDE and I want to connect the 40 GB. Where do I connect
it... possiblyt Primary Slave and also will Win XP detect it and if so what
about Win Me. Should I format it once I load XP from My Computer or format
via fdisk and all that? The real problem is that MS recommends installing win
me like system before win xp. So will me boot if i booted xp first or will xp
boot if i loaded me first.

Try about ½ way down this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q217210

You'll be looking for this text string: How to Install Windows 95, Windows
98, or Windows Me in a Windows XP, Windows 2000, and MS-DOS, or a Windows NT
and MS-DOS Multiple-Boot Configuration

Good Luck!

"aeromach" wrote:

> I've a Segate 80 GB HDD partioned into two NTFS partitions with the primary
> and bootable partion loaded with Windows XP Professional SP2 [This is the
> C:]. I also have got a Samsung 40 GB HDDwith two partitions which has Windows
> ME. Windows ME is installed on the logical partion. Both the partitions on
> this 40 GB are in FAT 32. Now my question is: I have the 80 GB HDD connected
> to Primary Master IDE and I want to connect the 40 GB. Where do I connect
> it... possiblyt Primary Slave and also will Win XP detect it and if so what
> about Win Me. Should I format it once I load XP from My Computer or format
> via fdisk and all that? The real problem is that MS recommends installing win
> me like system before win xp. So will me boot if i booted xp first or will xp
> boot if i loaded me first.

No, the real problem is that in order to dual boot XP and ME, the boot
partition must be FAT 32. If you do not want to start all over, you could
make the 40 GB drive primary master and reinstall XP on the 80 GB as primary
slave or secondary master or slave.

Or, instead of reinstalling XP, simply copy the Ntdetect.com, Ntldr, and
boot.ini files to the 40 GB drive. Then edit boot.ini to point to the
correct partitions for ME and XP. However, any applications or settings
with depend on drive paths will have to be reconfigured or reinstalled.

You will not be able to view/access NTFS partitions from ME and you will not
have drive letters for those partitions in ME; you will be able to
view/access all partitions from XP and all partitions will have drive
letters.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"aeromach" <aeromach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've a Segate 80 GB HDD partioned into two NTFS partitions with the
primary
> and bootable partion loaded with Windows XP Professional SP2 [This is the
> C:]. I also have got a Samsung 40 GB HDDwith two partitions which has
Windows
> ME. Windows ME is installed on the logical partion. Both the partitions on
> this 40 GB are in FAT 32. Now my question is: I have the 80 GB HDD
connected
> to Primary Master IDE and I want to connect the 40 GB. Where do I connect
> it... possiblyt Primary Slave and also will Win XP detect it and if so
what
> about Win Me. Should I format it once I load XP from My Computer or format
> via fdisk and all that? The real problem is that MS recommends installing
win
> me like system before win xp. So will me boot if i booted xp first or will
xp
> boot if i loaded me first.

kelly

How to Install Windows 98 or ME after Installing Windows XP
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)