Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Volume icon in taskbar

Tags:
  • Taskbar
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:25:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I ahve been trying to get the volume icon back on my taskbar so I can raise
and lower the volume. I went to the notification area where you can choose
to place the icon on the taskbar, but it's greyed out and I can't change the
gray so that I can highlight. The compaq people have me uninstall a driver
and that didn't help. We selected default setting s and that didn't help. I
found instructions on Microsoft.help but they work only if you've got the cd.
My Windows XPHome ed. was preinstalled. Does anyone know what to do?

More about : volume icon taskbar

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:25:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

First, have you tried going to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and see if you can
click to place a checkmark in the box to the left of the option: Place Volume Icon on the
Taskbar? If it is grayed out there: Have you gone to the Compaq web site to see if the
audio driver for your system is available for download? Have you looked in Device Manager
to see if it's integrated sound, where the driver can be downloaded from a third party
like Intel? If none Of the above helps: Is it possible that your Compaq system is one
that is capable of creating Recovery CDs from a hidden partition on your hard drive?
Check that out at (the address was so long that I made a tinyurl link for it):

http://tinyurl.com/ce9xv
--
I am just curious: If Compaq tech cannot solve a simple problem like helping you restore
the Volume icon to the Notification Area, what is going to happen when you encounter a
really difficult tech problem? I tell people to avoid Compaq and HP systems like the
plague. They are to this decade what Packard Bell was in the 1990's, the nadir of quality
in name brand PCs.


T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply






"Volume Icon" <Volume Icon @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1D5D16CA-7335-4A4E-ADD9-DEFDB6287B49@microsoft.com...
> I ahve been trying to get the volume icon back on my taskbar so I can raise
> and lower the volume. I went to the notification area where you can choose
> to place the icon on the taskbar, but it's greyed out and I can't change the
> gray so that I can highlight. The compaq people have me uninstall a driver
> and that didn't help. We selected default setting s and that didn't help. I
> found instructions on Microsoft.help but they work only if you've got the cd.
> My Windows XPHome ed. was preinstalled. Does anyone know what to do?
July 30, 2005 5:30:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You are speaking of the Notification Area:

Restore Volume and Net Icon to Notification Area (Line 320)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume

Volume Icon Is Displayed Incorrectly in the Notification Area After the
Computer Resumes from Standby
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828694&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"Volume Icon" <Volume Icon @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1D5D16CA-7335-4A4E-ADD9-DEFDB6287B49@microsoft.com...
>I ahve been trying to get the volume icon back on my taskbar so I can raise
> and lower the volume. I went to the notification area where you can
> choose
> to place the icon on the taskbar, but it's greyed out and I can't change
> the
> gray so that I can highlight. The compaq people have me uninstall a
> driver
> and that didn't help. We selected default setting s and that didn't help.
> I
> found instructions on Microsoft.help but they work only if you've got the
> cd.
> My Windows XPHome ed. was preinstalled. Does anyone know what to do?
Related resources
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:57:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thank you. The audio device was grayed out. i went to the Compaq web site
and found a new driver for audio tek. That took away the gray and let me put
the icon on the task bar. Two days later, it disappeared. I'm not sure
about the integrated sound so I went to the site you rec. and Im going to try
that. Thanks.

"t.cruise" wrote:

> First, have you tried going to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and see if you can
> click to place a checkmark in the box to the left of the option: Place Volume Icon on the
> Taskbar? If it is grayed out there: Have you gone to the Compaq web site to see if the
> audio driver for your system is available for download? Have you looked in Device Manager
> to see if it's integrated sound, where the driver can be downloaded from a third party
> like Intel? If none Of the above helps: Is it possible that your Compaq system is one
> that is capable of creating Recovery CDs from a hidden partition on your hard drive?
> Check that out at (the address was so long that I made a tinyurl link for it):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ce9xv
> --
> I am just curious: If Compaq tech cannot solve a simple problem like helping you restore
> the Volume icon to the Notification Area, what is going to happen when you encounter a
> really difficult tech problem? I tell people to avoid Compaq and HP systems like the
> plague. They are to this decade what Packard Bell was in the 1990's, the nadir of quality
> in name brand PCs.
>
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Volume Icon" <Volume Icon @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1D5D16CA-7335-4A4E-ADD9-DEFDB6287B49@microsoft.com...
> > I ahve been trying to get the volume icon back on my taskbar so I can raise
> > and lower the volume. I went to the notification area where you can choose
> > to place the icon on the taskbar, but it's greyed out and I can't change the
> > gray so that I can highlight. The compaq people have me uninstall a driver
> > and that didn't help. We selected default setting s and that didn't help. I
> > found instructions on Microsoft.help but they work only if you've got the cd.
> > My Windows XPHome ed. was preinstalled. Does anyone know what to do?
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 8:22:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

None of your links opened. I tried typing them in and that didn't work
either. What am I doing wrong?

"Kelly" wrote:

> You are speaking of the Notification Area:
>
> Restore Volume and Net Icon to Notification Area (Line 320)
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume
>
> Volume Icon Is Displayed Incorrectly in the Notification Area After the
> Computer Resumes from Standby
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828694&Product=winxp
>
> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
>
>
> "Volume Icon" <Volume Icon @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1D5D16CA-7335-4A4E-ADD9-DEFDB6287B49@microsoft.com...
> >I ahve been trying to get the volume icon back on my taskbar so I can raise
> > and lower the volume. I went to the notification area where you can
> > choose
> > to place the icon on the taskbar, but it's greyed out and I can't change
> > the
> > gray so that I can highlight. The compaq people have me uninstall a
> > driver
> > and that didn't help. We selected default setting s and that didn't help.
> > I
> > found instructions on Microsoft.help but they work only if you've got the
> > cd.
> > My Windows XPHome ed. was preinstalled. Does anyone know what to do?
>
>
>
August 8, 2005 1:45:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Volume Icon wrote:

> None of your links opened. I tried typing them in and that didn't work
> either. What am I doing wrong?
>
> "Kelly" wrote:

<snip>

Copy the link to the browser address bar if clicking on them doesn't work.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:50:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hey. I have tried all that people have wrote...replacing the sondvolume.exe
archive, creating a restore point, downloaded the registry entries to be
modified... all
You know what really worked? I unistalled the soundboard device software and
re-installed it.
But I re-installed all the software in the CD. LAst time I had installed
only the drivers, and was after that when the volume icon never appeared on
it's own again.
Then I decide to install all, even those anoying free programs...
After that, all my incons of the system tray started to work again as told
on the behavior list...
Well, after almost 3 days of trying that was the only thing that brought my
lovely sound icon back for me!
NICE!

"Volume Icon" wrote:

> I ahve been trying to get the volume icon back on my taskbar so I can raise
> and lower the volume. I went to the notification area where you can choose
> to place the icon on the taskbar, but it's greyed out and I can't change the
> gray so that I can highlight. The compaq people have me uninstall a driver
> and that didn't help. We selected default setting s and that didn't help. I
> found instructions on Microsoft.help but they work only if you've got the cd.
> My Windows XPHome ed. was preinstalled. Does anyone know what to do?
!