I want to restore my system32 back to the original state, i have tried system
restore but each time I do a system restore it tells me it cannot restore my
pc to that date, i have gone as far back as i can, the earliest time i can
restore my pc, it does not help restore my system32. can anyone help me do
this, the reason i need to restore my system32 folder is a corrupt file and i
cannot run any dos cmd's, i am getting the dos16bit error, i have no
c:/Documnet and Settings/?????????/????

kelly

You seem to be starting in the middle here.....

Suggestions without knowing more:

1. Error Message: MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

This installaton program will reinstall the missing or corrupt Windows XP
system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt. The absence or
corruption of one or more of these files causes a "16 Bit Subsystem" error.

XP_Fix.EXE by TRF Systems, Inc.
http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe

TrojanDownloader.Win32.Dia.a,
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe@posting.google.com

Manual Removal:
http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/t/trojandownloader_win32_dia_a.asp

2. To fix the "windows\system32\config\system file is mising or corrupt"
where Xp wont boot:

Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren system.alt systemalt.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
exit

Recover from a Corrupted Registry Preventing Win XP from Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545

~~~

In the Recovery Console:

Type cd sytem32\config , and then press ENTER.
Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

Depending on your error message, use as follows:

Next type: ren software software.bak and then press ENTER.

or:

type ren system system.bak and then press ENTER.

Next type:

copy c:\windows\repair\software , and then press ENTER.

or:

copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

Exit, reboot.

More info here:

Recovering XP using the Recovery Console (Line 333) right hand side

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)