Adding wireless to existing network

I have a Linksys DSL router already installed and
computers/printers connected and working. I purchased a
MN-700 wireless router and MN-720 wireless notebook
adapter. I want to add wireless capabilities to my
network without removing my Linksys router and
filtering/forwarding rules.

A. Can this be done (easily)?
B. If so, how? I was able to install the MN-700 directly
to the DSL modem and connect wirelessly using the MN-720,
but when I reset the MN-700 to be an access point, I
couldn't get it to work (I put a cable from one port on
the existing router and into the "To Modem" port on the
MN-700.

Thanks for any help,
Glenn
glenn_lanier@netzero.REMOVE.net
4 answers Last reply
More about adding wireless existing network

    Dear Glenn,

    I have done exactly this. I'm using a Linksys BE-series
    router directly from my ADSL modem. I have a WinXP
    webserver and desktop cabled to it.

    I cabled my MN-700 directly to the Linksys BE-router as
    part of this LAN. It receives an IP from the Linksys.

    Within the wireless "sub-LAN" the MN-700 is in ROUTER,
    not access point, mode. It's DHCP server in turns
    assigns IPs to two notebooks, a PS2, and a dedicated
    telescope PC for remote operation.

    All PCs share files and a common network drive.

    So, just attach the "Modem" cable of your MN-700 to a
    free port on your Linksys router. Keep the MN-700 in
    ROUTER mode.

    You can, as I did, change the MN-700's IP and DHCP range,
    for another bit of security.

    Good luck!

    If you use the correct security key, it is amazing how
    many things work properly. Didn't realize that the wizard
    generated a new one when I changed the router to access
    point only. Changed that on the laptop and all is good.

    --G

    Only run multiple routers if you want to have networking problems.

    Ken wrote:
    > Dear Glenn,
    >
    > I have done exactly this. I'm using a Linksys BE-series
    > router directly from my ADSL modem. I have a WinXP
    > webserver and desktop cabled to it.
    >
    > I cabled my MN-700 directly to the Linksys BE-router as
    > part of this LAN. It receives an IP from the Linksys.
    >
    > Within the wireless "sub-LAN" the MN-700 is in ROUTER,
    > not access point, mode. It's DHCP server in turns
    > assigns IPs to two notebooks, a PS2, and a dedicated
    > telescope PC for remote operation.
    >
    > All PCs share files and a common network drive.
    >
    > So, just attach the "Modem" cable of your MN-700 to a
    > free port on your Linksys router. Keep the MN-700 in
    > ROUTER mode.
    >
    > You can, as I did, change the MN-700's IP and DHCP range,
    > for another bit of security.
    >

    > Good luck!

    Ya. problem-solving helps me learn ;-)

Routers Wireless Networking