Adding wireless to existing network

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
July 27, 2004 3:12:22 PM

I have a Linksys DSL router already installed and
computers/printers connected and working. I purchased a
MN-700 wireless router and MN-720 wireless notebook
adapter. I want to add wireless capabilities to my
network without removing my Linksys router and
filtering/forwarding rules.

A. Can this be done (easily)?
B. If so, how? I was able to install the MN-700 directly
to the DSL modem and connect wirelessly using the MN-720,
but when I reset the MN-700 to be an access point, I
couldn't get it to work (I put a cable from one port on
the existing router and into the "To Modem" port on the
MN-700.

Thanks for any help,
Glenn
glenn_lanier@netzero.REMOVE.net
July 27, 2004 4:45:12 PM

Dear Glenn,

I have done exactly this. I'm using a Linksys BE-series
router directly from my ADSL modem. I have a WinXP
webserver and desktop cabled to it.

I cabled my MN-700 directly to the Linksys BE-router as
part of this LAN. It receives an IP from the Linksys.

Within the wireless "sub-LAN" the MN-700 is in ROUTER,
not access point, mode. It's DHCP server in turns
assigns IPs to two notebooks, a PS2, and a dedicated
telescope PC for remote operation.

All PCs share files and a common network drive.

So, just attach the "Modem" cable of your MN-700 to a
free port on your Linksys router. Keep the MN-700 in
ROUTER mode.

You can, as I did, change the MN-700's IP and DHCP range,
for another bit of security.

Good luck!

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 27, 2004 4:50:46 PM

If you use the correct security key, it is amazing how
many things work properly. Didn't realize that the wizard
generated a new one when I changed the router to access
point only. Changed that on the laptop and all is good.

--G

Related resources
July 27, 2004 9:36:49 PM

Only run multiple routers if you want to have networking problems.

Ken wrote:
> Dear Glenn,
>
> I have done exactly this. I'm using a Linksys BE-series
> router directly from my ADSL modem. I have a WinXP
> webserver and desktop cabled to it.
>
> I cabled my MN-700 directly to the Linksys BE-router as
> part of this LAN. It receives an IP from the Linksys.
>
> Within the wireless "sub-LAN" the MN-700 is in ROUTER,
> not access point, mode. It's DHCP server in turns
> assigns IPs to two notebooks, a PS2, and a dedicated
> telescope PC for remote operation.
>
> All PCs share files and a common network drive.
>
> So, just attach the "Modem" cable of your MN-700 to a
> free port on your Linksys router. Keep the MN-700 in
> ROUTER mode.
>
> You can, as I did, change the MN-700's IP and DHCP range,
> for another bit of security.
>

> Good luck!

July 28, 2004 11:54:02 AM

Ya. problem-solving helps me learn ;-)