Windows Defender Definition Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I know I've read about this before, but I haven't been able to hit upon the right keywords to find the solution...
Basically, Windows Update keeps installing the latest Windows Defender definition updates over and over and over ad infinitum, every time I check for updates (or it checks automatically). I think there's some temp file or registry key I'm supposed to delete/modify to get it to "reset" and recognize that it already has the latest definitions. Best Answer to whoever correctly remembers the process first!

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Great program! It's an instant addition to my digital-Swiss-Army-knife "Utilities" folder. So far, so good. After FixWin did its thing, it told me to reboot. When the computer came back up, it downloaded the definition update one more time. (Expected, since Defender had just been reset.) After that, and another reboot, "There are no updates available for your computer"! I'll wait 24hrs just to make sure it's fixed, but preliminary results look good.

I thought so too! That group also has a couple of other useful programs targeted at specific applications or Windows components like Windows Update and Internet Explorer. They are also worth checking out. They've saved my bacon at work a number of times already when I had users with really obscure problems...

robjohnston

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

While you mention Windows Defender, have you tried Microsoft Security Essentials? which basically replaces Defender.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Yes, I have. I like it as an AV, but I like Panda Cloud better. Right now I use Win7's built-in firewall, Windows Defender, Panda Cloud Antivirus, and UAC set to its default security level. I know it's not the most secure setup, but it's light on resources and boot times. I'm careful about where I surf and what I download (and use Firefox).

Status
Not open for further replies.