Adding a used second hard drive

Gutowski

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004
I just recently put together a new computer for myself, with a brand new hard drive (one drive). I have a few older hard drives from other past computers, and I want to get information off of them.

The thing is, Im not sure how to go about doing this. Could I just hook them up on the same cable as my other drive ? Should I set my main drive as Master and the older drive as Slave ?

I know the older drives have operating systems on them (Windows 95 on one, and 98 on other), will this interfere with my current setup of XP ?

When I connect the other drive on the cable, what should I expect to happen when I turn the power on ? Should XP automatically see the drive, and set it up as D:/ so I can just access the files off of the drive ?

Sorry, but I really can't find any information about this anywhere. I'm hoping you guys could help me out. Thanks.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Your drive as master, the other drive as slave. Don't worry about the OS. XP will just boot and you should be able to access the other drive no problem. Get what you want off the drives and format them if you want to use them for storage.

<font color=red><pre> _ ___
#_~`--'__ `===-,
`.`. `#.,//
,_\_\ ## #\
`__.__ `####\
~~\ ,###'~
\##'
</pre><p>