ntuser.dat file size

Hello all,

I run windows xp professional edition and I wanted to know if there any way
that I can decrease the file size of the ntuser.dat file because it is taking
up a lot of my hard drive.

Thanks a lot.
9 answers Last reply
More about ntuser file size

    Hi

    What you mean by a lot of your hard drive? ntuser.dat is just over 3 MBs
    here for my own Account.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Neo" <Neo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I run windows xp professional edition and I wanted to know if there any
    > way
    > that I can decrease the file size of the ntuser.dat file because it is
    > taking
    > up a lot of my hard drive.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    "Neo" <Neo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I run windows xp professional edition and I wanted to know if there any
    > way that I can decrease the file size of the ntuser.dat file because it
    > is taking up a lot of my hard drive.

    What does "a lot of your hard drive" mean exactly?
    There is no "ntuser.dat" file on my machines exceeding the size of 6 MB.

    --
    d-d

    My %homepath%\NTUSER.DAT is 10.0 MB. I would consider that big.

    Time to run NTREGOPT again.

    [[In Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP, there is no longer a limit to
    the registry based on paged pool. Views of the registry files are now mapped
    in the computer cache address space. Therefore, regardless of the size of
    the hive, it is not charged for more than 4 megabytes (MB) of space.]]
    From...
    Registry Size Limit functionality has been removed from Windows Server 2003
    and from Windows XP
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292726/

    [[Windows XP does not have a limit on the size of the registry. ]]
    From...
    "% Registry Quota In Use" counter does not apply to Windows XP
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300510

    [[Windows cannot start new hardware devices because the system hive is too
    large (exceeds the Registry Size Limit). (Code 49)]]
    [[The system hive has exceeded its maximum size and new devices cannot work
    until the size is reduced. The system hive is a permanent part of the
    registry associated with a set of files that contains information related to
    the configuration of the computer on which the operating system is
    installed. Configured items include applications, user preferences, devices,
    and so on. The problem might be specific devices that are no longer attached
    to the computer but are still listed in the system hive.]]
    From...
    Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Microsoft Windows
    XP Professional
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium)
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123

    I wish they would make up my mind. Does or doesn't the XP registry have
    a size limit?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:47bb4fc8d5772d81550444d27feec938@d-d.mvps.org,
    Detlev Dreyer <detdreyer@flashmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    In news:uCREilTlFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> typed:

    > My %homepath%\NTUSER.DAT is 10.0 MB. I would consider that
    > big.

    It's all a matter of perspective. At today's hard drive prices,
    10MB is typically something under $.01-worth. I'd consider that
    small.

> [...]

    > • Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium)
    > • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123
    >
    > I wish they would make up my mind. Does or doesn't the XP
    > registry
    > have
    > a size limit?
    >

    > In news:47bb4fc8d5772d81550444d27feec938@d-d.mvps.org,
    > Detlev Dreyer <detdreyer@flashmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> "Neo" <Neo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I run windows xp professional edition and I wanted to know if
    >>> there
    >>> any way that I can decrease the file size of the ntuser.dat
    >>> file
    >>> because it is taking up a lot of my hard drive.
    >>
    >> What does "a lot of your hard drive" mean exactly?
    >> There is no "ntuser.dat" file on my machines exceeding the

    Hi Ken,

    In my case it may be closer to $0.75, I have a 10GB hard drive. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OvaLICUlFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> hunted and pecked:

    In news:eouabdUlFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> typed:

    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > In my case it may be closer to $0.75, I have a 10GB hard drive.
    > ;-)

    Yikes! Still not a lot of money, but with such a small drive,
    yes, even a few megabytes saved can be important.

> [...]

    >>> information related to the configuration of the computer on
    >>> which the
    >>> operating system is installed. Configured items include
    >>> applications,
    >>> user preferences, devices, and so on. The problem might be
    >>> specific
    >>> devices that are no longer attached to the computer but are
    >>> still
    >>> listed in the system hive.]]
    >>> From...
    >>> Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in
    >>> Microsoft
    >>> Windows XP Professional
    >>> APPLIES TO
    >>> • Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium)
    >>> • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >>> • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123
    >>>
    >>> I wish they would make up my mind. Does or doesn't the XP

    No, it isn't the money. :-)

    If I could decide on the rest of the parts that I need to buy, I'd finish my
    new machine.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:e80dVuUlFHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,

    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    > [[Windows cannot start new hardware devices because the system hive is
    > too large (exceeds the Registry Size Limit). (Code 49)]]

    Wes, the system hive is not part of the "ntuser.dat" file. See also
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/registry_hives.asp

    > I wish they would make up my mind. Does or doesn't the XP registry have
    > a size limit?

    Well, there are limits within the registry. Regarding the *total* size,
    there is no limit AFAIK.

    --
    d-d

    Thanks Detlev. I did totally miss that. I didn't even see the word system,
    just the word hive.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM

    SYSTEM

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:a61d6256de474ad61830def88536ceb4@d-d.mvps.org,
    Detlev Dreyer <detdreyer@flashmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> [[Windows cannot start new hardware devices because the system hive is
    >> too large (exceeds the Registry Size Limit). (Code 49)]]
    >
    > Wes, the system hive is not part of the "ntuser.dat" file. See also

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/registry_hives.asp

    >> I wish they would make up my mind. Does or doesn't the XP registry have
    >> a size limit?
    >
    > Well, there are limits within the registry. Regarding the *total* size,
    > there is no limit AFAIK.
    >
    > --
    > d-d

File Size Microsoft Windows XP Product