hard disk longevity if pc never off?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Longer than if it was turned on and off a dozen times every day.

I have a 30gig drive I put into a machine about 3 years ago, its on 24/7 and still running fine. I have an old 700meg drive from early 1991 that ran 24/7 in the file server for about 5 years (and was run after that in a test environment). It's still installed and worked last time I turned it on (within the past year.)

Outside of abuse (dropping, hitting with hammer, closed up in a hot place with a Prescott :evil: , etc.), just about any drive will last thru the effective life of the system, whether its turned off every evening, or left on 24/7. If you turn it on/off a dozen times or so a day, then the spindle motor may wear out sooner, but once its running, it's not going to stop...

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
24/7 hurts electronic equipment the same way as it does hurt semi truck - no-how, it is built to work that way. It makes no difference for it's longevity any way you turn it. What does make it to go tits up is heat and/or heating/cooling process (on/off during short periods of time).

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My laptop gets on/off switch pushed about 5-7 times a day on avarage (usually 3-4 sometimse 10-15) and the drive is working just fine since I got the machine USED 3 years ago.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had Deskstar (or Deathstar) 40Gz for over 2 years which was used that way (5-10 on/offs a day sometimes) and was sold and STILL working (2 more years to add) although it is not switched on so often any more.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, it is bad for me, caz now I have to argue with whole buncha peepel about it :eek:>

<i><font color=white>...am i, hehe..</font color=white></i>