[WFB] All of the new wood elves?

jockelinde wrote:
> http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/woodelves/catalog/default.htm
>
> --
> Joakim

Orion: huge improvement, and nice to see the hounds even if they do
look more like sheep. 4.

Drycha: Interesting - are we getting Drycha as a Forest Spirits special
character? They've succeeded in getting the
woman-emerging-from-her-tree look the 'Evil Dryad' plastics don't quite
manage. 5.

Mounted Lord: Nice, but I'm not keen on the helmet. At least shields
still seem to be in the list, but the iconography looks almost Chaotic.
Love the horse.

Spellsinger: There's a fourth one here I hadn't seen before, who looks
really weird - more like a Nurgle jester than a Wood Elf Mage. Female
Spellsingers: 3. Male Spellsingers: 2.

Wardancer Lord: Not helped by an appallingly garish paint scheme, but
considering what we get with the normal Wardancers this fellow's a real
disappointment. Reposing the spear arm should help somewhat, but this
just isn't in the same league as the others. 3.

Eternal Guard: There are some nice poses here, though the overhead one
isn't the best. As with the mounted Lord I'm not a fan of the new WE
helmet style. 3.5. Except for the running Champion (what sort of pose
is that for the unit) I love the command group, though: 4.5.

Wardancer Command: Excellent, as are the other dancers. 5.

Wild Riders: So we are getting separate models after all. Very strange
poses and the helmet design for the horse is as weird as that for the
riders. 3.

We're still missing Durthu (whose model has been shown elsewhere), the
new Eagle (the HE version is now listed as a Classic Great Eagle,
indicating that a new one is on the way), the stag rider and any
mounted Spellsingers.
Of the models I plan on using, only the Wild Riders really disappoint.

Philip Bowles

>And why are most of them metal?

I think only the Brets and Ogres got as many as four plastic sets when
the main range was released so that's nothing unusual; with 3 the Wood
Elves still have more plastics than the Dwarfs, Dark Elves or Vampire
Counts, and as many as the Lizardmen, Tomb Kings or Chaos (including
Beastmen). There's scope here for later replacing the Eternal Guard
with plastics, maybe eventually the Treeman, Treekin, Wild Riders and
Warhawks too (incidentally, the Treeman doesn't look nearly as bad
here, but it's still no keeper). I think I'd rather have the plastics
we get rather than, say, plastic Eternal Guard instead of plastic
Dryads. Mostly I'm happy: armies as a whole will be cheaper with the
staple infantry and cavalry now in plastic sets (and looking infinitely
better than the old plastic Archers), we get a decent and varied
character selection (including two characters with the dragon, both of
whom are posed in a way that allows them to be used as infantry heroes,
and extremely good ones at that) and although both are among the weaker
models in the range, the Wild Riders and Treekin add new units that are
here to stay, and whose models can therefore be revisited and hopefully
improved in future.

Philip Bowles

On 30 Jun 2005 02:07:09 -0700, "pbowles@aol.com" <pbowles@aol.com>
wrote:

>>And why are most of them metal?
>
>I think only the Brets and Ogres got as many as four plastic sets when
>the main range was released so that's nothing unusual; with 3 the Wood
>Elves still have more plastics than the Dwarfs, Dark Elves or Vampire
>Counts, and as many as the Lizardmen, Tomb Kings or Chaos (including
>Beastmen).

And if you want to do a proper Orc army without Gobbos, you're looking
at a big healthy *one* plastic regiment.
-Erik

In article <42c385d5_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, elfbard wrote:
> And why are most of them metal?

In order to drain your wallet in a more efficient fashion.

--
Joakim