Disappearing CD-ROM

My CD-ROM is recognized (found) when booting up, but when XP is up and
running it does not show up and therefore cannot be accessed. HELP!!!! DO NOT
KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!
2 answers Last reply
More about disappearing

    Is this a new issue i.e., has this happened after a recent incident or just
    from first when you installed Windows XP?

    If you insist on not talking about that your hardware is compatible with XP
    you may go here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    In brief, what you have to do is,
    open registry editor(by Start>Run>type "regedit")
    Then find this key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

    Now, before chaning it you can save it for future reference(click "Export"
    from "File" menu and save in any name in any place)

    Now find and delete "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" of type "REG_MULTI_SZ".
    Now reboot and if needed reinstall cd drive from device manager.

    This should help. If cannot, you may have the driver incompatibility issue.

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "b4genesis" wrote:

    > My CD-ROM is recognized (found) when booting up, but when XP is up and
    > running it does not show up and therefore cannot be accessed. HELP!!!! DO NOT
    > KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

    Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    b4genesis wrote:

    > My CD-ROM is recognized (found) when booting up, but when XP is up and
    > running it does not show up and therefore cannot be accessed. HELP!!!! DO NOT
    > KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP