Disappearing CD-ROM

July 30, 2005 7:40:02 AM

My CD-ROM is recognized (found) when booting up, but when XP is up and
running it does not show up and therefore cannot be accessed. HELP!!!! DO NOT
KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

More about : disappearing rom

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:33:06 PM

Is this a new issue i.e., has this happened after a recent incident or just
from first when you installed Windows XP?

If you insist on not talking about that your hardware is compatible with XP
you may go here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

In brief, what you have to do is,
open registry editor(by Start>Run>type "regedit")
Then find this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Now, before chaning it you can save it for future reference(click "Export"
from "File" menu and save in any name in any place)

Now find and delete "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" of type "REG_MULTI_SZ".
Now reboot and if needed reinstall cd drive from device manager.

This should help. If cannot, you may have the driver incompatibility issue.

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"b4genesis" wrote:

> My CD-ROM is recognized (found) when booting up, but when XP is up and
> running it does not show up and therefore cannot be accessed. HELP!!!! DO NOT
> KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 9:58:29 PM

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer