[POLL] Favourite models

Last response: in Video Games
July 2, 2005 1:03:01 AM

Despite my best efforts (I've been starting any number of threads with
"Review" in the title...) the group's pretty dead at the moment - I
suppose it's summer for everyone on the wrong side of the world... Oh,
well, in an attempt to liven things up, and with one of GW's strongest
WFB ranges on the way, what do people think are the best models in each
GW range (either WFB or 40k)? Which are the ones you regard as the
'must-haves' in each army? To start things off, here's my list for WFB
(some armies have no must-haves - Ogres and Beastmen, obviously, also
Dwarfs and Orcs. The Vampires don't really, but I've included one just
to be generous).

BRETONNIA

The Green Knight

CHAOS

Archaeon, Lord of the End Times
Lord of Nurgle
Champion of Nurgle
Mounted Slaaneshi Lord
Champion of Slaanesh
Champion of Tzeentch

Best: Mounted Slaaneshi Lord

DARK ELVES

Executioners
Mengil Manhide's Manflayers
Reaper Bolt Thrower

Best: Reaper Bolt Thrower

DOGS OF WAR

Albion Truthsayer
Albion Dark Emissary
Pizarro's Lost Legion
Braganza's Besiegers

Best: Albion Truthsayer

EMPIRE

Valten on foot (Limited Edition)
Empire Knightly Order
Empire Cannon
Greatswords
Teutogen Guard
Steam Tank

Best: Steam Tank

HIGH ELVES

Eltharion
High Elf Hero with sword, shield and Phoenix helm
High Elf Hero with bow
High Elf Silver Helms
Dragon Princes
Phoenix Guard

Best: Eltharion

KISLEV

Tzar Boris

LIZARDMEN

Slann Mage-Priest
Skink Chief with blowpipe
Skink Chief with Cloak of Feathers

Best: Skink Chief with Cloak of Feathers

SKAVEN

Screaming Bell

TOMB KINGS

Tomb King with great weapon
Ushabti

Best: Tomb King with great weapon

VAMPIRE COUNTS

Wraiths

WOOD ELVES

The Sisters of Twilight
Drycha
Highborn with great weapon
Glade Guard
Glade Riders
Dryads
Wardancers

Best: Wardancers

Over to everybody else...

Philip Bowles

More about : poll favourite models

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:17:21 AM

>pbow...@aol.com wrote:
>> Which are the ones you regard as the 'must-haves' in each army?

>Didn't we do this already?

Don't remember it if we did.

>> (some armies have no must-haves - Ogres and Beastmen, obviously, also
>> Dwarfs and Orcs. The Vampires don't really, but I've included one just
>> to be generous).
>
>> BRETONNIA: The Green Knight

Got this; Men at Arms are passable.

There are plenty of things that are more than passable that I haven't
put in the list, a lot of them better than Men-at-Arms.

>> DARK ELVES
>> Mengil Manhide's Manflayers
>

>Mengele is a DoW!

In shops he's in the Dark Elf range. Mainly because there isn't a DoW
one on general sale. Anyway, if you're classing him as DoW you'll also
have to concede that the Slayer axe-thrower is DoW, and do you really
want that shame?

>Also, Black Guard beats Executioners.

I'm not thrilled by the helmets - the proportions just look slightly
wrong, which prevents them getting in my list.

>> DOGS OF WAR: Braganza's Besiegers
>

>Got this. Albion isn't exciting.

I love the character to the Albion models, especially the Truthsayer.
The other DoW I listed are very good historicals, but to me they just
don't have the same presence. Agreed that the Besiegers are the best of
them, though - I'm seriously thinking of ordering their boxed set when
I place the Wood Elf army book advance order.

>> EMPIRE
>> Empire Knightly Order
>> Empire Cannon
>> Greatswords
>> Steam Tank
>>
>> Best: Steam Tank
>

>Yup. Gottem, along with the old infantry.

To me the old infantry, even the Militia, are starting to look their
age, especially in the facial department, and I was never keen on the
poses of the swordsmen.

>> HIGH ELVES
>> High Elf Silver Helms
>> Dragon Princes
>> Phoenix Guard
>> Best: Eltharion
>
>No way. Dragon Princes are better than the Warden of Tor Yvesse.

The White Sword of Hoeth is better than the Warden of Tor Yvresse - the
Griffon rider wasn't the Eltharion I was including. Maybe it's because
I've got Eltharion (and the Silver Helms) but not the Dragon Princes -
the Princes look good in the component list on GW's site, but not a
match for these or the Phoenix Guard.

>> SKAVEN
>> Screaming Bell
>

>No way. Doomwheel.

It's fun, but I love the character of the current Bell - really suits
the army feel. The Doomwheel's a good model, but it's too much of a
comedy model.

>> WOOD ELVES
>> The Sisters of Twilight
>> Drycha
>> Highborn with great weapon
>> Glade Guard
>> Glade Riders
>> Dryads
>> Wardancers
>>
>> Best: Wardancers
>

>All of the plastics are good, especially the Dryads.

I'd actually say they're the weakest of the plastics, simply because
the Glade Guard and Glade Riders are so good. The facial expressions in
the close-ups I've seen of the Dryads don't look brilliantly-executed.
Drycha, the metal Dryad, is extremely good, though.

> I don't really
>like the new Wardancers.

Aside from the Lord I think they're great, especially the champion with
two swords (as opposed to the one with sword and swordstaff)

>I think that you list Kislev,

I've told you before that I like the bear...

> Lizardmen,

They've got good models too. Kroak would be up there if he lost that
stupid death mask - there's an unmasked version in this month's WD
which looks infinitely superior. I nearly included the Saurus Warriors
too, but their hand weapon (and to a lesser extent shield) design lets
them down.

>Skaven,

Only one.

> and Vampire Counts

That's a questionable one anyway - the Wraiths aren't as good as the
other models I listed, and if the VC had anything else of note I
wouldn't have counted Wraiths as must-haves. I thought the VC deserved
some recognition for not totally stinking, though.

> at
>all shows you've been standing on your head for much too long.

I really think you ought to take a closer look at the Lizardmen range,
preferably not painted by GW - it might surprise you,

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:08:31 AM

pbowles@aol.com wrote:
> Which are the ones you regard as the 'must-haves' in each army?

Didn't we do this already?

> (some armies have no must-haves - Ogres and Beastmen, obviously, also
> Dwarfs and Orcs. The Vampires don't really, but I've included one just
> to be generous).
>
> BRETONNIA: The Green Knight

Got this; Men at Arms are passable.

> CHAOS: Mounted Slaaneshi Lord (Best)

Got this; Nurgle isn't special.

> DARK ELVES
> Mengil Manhide's Manflayers

Mengele is a DoW! Also, Black Guard beats Executioners.

> DOGS OF WAR: Braganza's Besiegers

Got this. Albion isn't exciting.

> EMPIRE
> Empire Knightly Order
> Empire Cannon
> Greatswords
> Steam Tank
>
> Best: Steam Tank

Yup. Gottem, along with the old infantry.

> HIGH ELVES
> High Elf Silver Helms
> Dragon Princes
> Phoenix Guard
> Best: Eltharion

No way. Dragon Princes are better than the Warden of Tor Yvesse.

> SKAVEN
> Screaming Bell

No way. Doomwheel.

> WOOD ELVES
> The Sisters of Twilight
> Drycha
> Highborn with great weapon
> Glade Guard
> Glade Riders
> Dryads
> Wardancers
>
> Best: Wardancers

All of the plastics are good, especially the Dryads. I don't really
like the new Wardancers.

I think that you list Kislev, Lizardmen, Skaven, and Vampire Counts at
all shows you've been standing on your head for much too long.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:45:39 PM

pbow...@aol.com wrote:
>> DOGS OF WAR
>>

>> Albion Truthsayer
>> Albion Dark Emissary
>> Pizarro's Lost Legion
>> Braganza's Besiegers
>>

>> Best: Albion Truthsayer
>
>No real favs here. Long Drongs are alright in a comical way,

They're fun, but not must-haves to me.

Pizarro's
>boys are pretty good, but if I had to pick one, it would have to be the
>ones in the Spartanlike armor (is it the Alcanti Fellowship or
>Rico's?).

Alcatini Fellowship.

>> EMPIRE
>>

>> Valten on foot (Limited Edition)
>> Empire Knightly Order
>> Empire Cannon
>> Greatswords
>> Teutogen Guard
>> Steam Tank
>>

>> Best: Steam Tank
>
>Actually, one of my favorites would have to be the Free Company (not
>least of all because one of the heads is a dead-on likeness of yours
>truly),

I really like those models and I almost put them in the list - plus
they're still GW's most detailed plastic set - but they are starting to
show their age, I feel. The weapons are oversized compared with more
modern releases, the swords too chunky and the poses not the best.

>although Greatswords and (some)Flagellants would be up there as
>well.

I really don't like the Flagellants, especially their gormless
expressions - IMO GW's only good Flagellant models are the Mordheim
ones.

>> HIGH ELVES
>>

>> Eltharion
>> High Elf Hero with sword, shield and Phoenix helm
>> High Elf Hero with bow
>> High Elf Silver Helms
>> Dragon Princes
>> Phoenix Guard
>>

>> Best: Eltharion
>

>I like most of their heroes, esp. the newer ones. The mage holding the
>sphere is my personal fav.

Certainly the best of the mages, but I can't get terribly excited about
any of those.

>> LIZARDMEN
>>

>> Slann Mage-Priest
>> Skink Chief with blowpipe
>> Skink Chief with Cloak of Feathers
>>

>> Best: Skink Chief with Cloak of Feathers
>

>I've finally gotten used to the new range, but the old Sallies and
>Kroxies are still my favorites.

I definitely prefer the old ones to the current models for these units
- I've got used to the new Kroxigor and they aren't bad models, they
just don't seem like Kroxigor to me. The Slann, Saurus and Skinks have
a lot of common design elements with their predecessors that the new
Krox seem to lack. In my army back in the UK the Krox and Sallies are
the only 5th Ed. models I use.

>>> SKAVEN
>>

>> Screaming Bell
>

>Yeah, but I also like the newer rat ogres.

The new ones? Ugh, can't stand them. I really liked the early 6th Ed.
Rat Ogres that everyone else hates, though - they got the unit's
cobbled-together Frankenstein's Monster character absolutely spot on,
while the new ones are just plastic Ogres with rat heads and fur.

> I liked the Vermin Lord,
>although he's not officially part of the range anymore.

I'd still have included him if I thought he was good enough, but I'm
not convinced he is - though I thought he was great at the time. GW
models seem to date badly; I can think of very few 4th or 5th (let
alone earlier) models that have lasted well enough to compare with the
better current releases.

>> TOMB KINGS
>

>> Tomb King with great weapon
>> Ushabti
>> Best: Tomb King with great weapon
>
>Catapult,

Great model, but I think it would have been better without the mummies
tied to the struts and without the skeletal Cold Ones as the base of
the catapult.

> Ushabti,

They're in there...

> Settra

Don't like his pose.

>While we're on the subject, I think VC, O&G, and Dwarf ranges all have
>the same problem. It's not that they're bad ranges,

The VC one is...

there's just
>nothing that really stands out as superb.

To a large extent this is true of the Lizardmen as well - I see a few
individual character standouts, but no standout units (though Saurus
Warriors are damn good plastics in the, well, plastic), and yet there
isn't a single *bad* model in the current range (save perhaps the
Salamander. Oh, and the swarms look *really* dated now - with
Tenenhuain's swarm focus they really should have taken the opportunity
to redo these). The Brets are another range that's much the same - some
of the figures are decent, but none stand out are there are a couple of
low points (Trebuchet, Grail Reliquary).

Nicely painted blocks of
>Skellies, Gobbos, Warriors, et al, look good on the tabletop, but the
>individual models don't really stand out. Of course, that is the idea
>for rank-and-file troops but still...

>Beastmen
>
>Shaggoth

I just don't like the Ogre parts - and the dragon forelimbs are a bit
scrawny.

>O&G
>

>The old Marauder Giant

The old Giant? I rather like the new one.

>the new Fanatics

Not fussed.

>Rock Lobber

Good, but having looked at it on GW's site while considering Orc
standouts, I decided not that good.

>Dwarves
>

>None really. Some of the Slayers are OK, as well as some of the heroes,
>but nothing to write home about.

Slayers? They're ridiculous like other old Dwarf models. The Flame
Cannon, Thunderers, Anvil of Doom and King Alrik are all good IMO, but
not good enough.

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:15:42 PM

pbow...@aol.com wrote:
>>>Which are the ones you regard as the 'must-haves' in each army?

>>>Didn't we do this already?
>>

>> Don't remember it if we did.
>

>Per your Bear comment, yes, we did.

Oh, yes, the thing about relative rankings for models. But that didn't
involve the whole group.

>>> Got this; Men at Arms are passable.
>>

>> There are plenty of things that are more than passable that I haven't
>> put in the list, a lot of them better than Men-at-Arms.
>

>I recently painted the Sorcoress. Aside from the wierd stick, she's a
>really delicate model. Shame on you for not listing her.

The fleur-de-lys on her head is silly.

>>>Mengele is a DoW!
>>

>> In shops he's in the Dark Elf range.
>

>By the rules, he's a DoW RoR.

He's also a Special choice for Dark Elves rather than a DoW choice for
them, and he's listed as being part of both ranges on GW's site. See
what I mean about needing to clear this sort of thing up?

>So where are Pizarro's boys? Lizardmen?

Mail Order (now known as "Direct Sales"). Yes, GW really is classing
things it puts back in its mail order catalogue as "New Releases". In
practice this means they become slightly cheaper than they were in the
archive, but that's it. Even Tichi-Huichi's Raiders don't get a general
release even though there's a Lizardmen range to put them in.

>I'm already stuck with the Giants, and you say the Hewer is materially
>worse?

Good point.

>>>Got this. Albion isn't exciting.
>>

>> I love the character to the Albion models, especially the Truthsayer.
>

>So I've got you on record for the Giants of Albion and Hengus the
>Druid???

Albion models as in those that came out with the Albion campaign -
currently sold as a 3-model set in the mail order DoW range. For some
reason Hengus is no longer in the DoW range, though his giants are.

>> Agreed that the Besiegers are the best of them, though - I'm
>> seriously thinking of ordering their boxed set when
>> I place the Wood Elf army book advance order.
>

>They are great models, but very inefficient for their points.

Oh, who cares? I'm getting to the stage in my WFB 'career' (and with
financial constraints) that I'm starting to think of shifting my focus
from getting armies to just collecting - as far as I know there are no
gaming clubs round here anyway, and since I don't often play even at
home there's not an enormous amount of point my having 4+ armies when I
might just as well buy only the models I really like from each. Though
I admit I like constructing and converting armies as well, and a new
Lizardmen army in paticular would be good because the only model
overlap between that and my existing army would be Skink Skirmishers
(of which you can never have too many anyway).

>>>No way. Dragon Princes are better than the Warden of Tor Yvesse.
>>

>> The White Sword of Hoeth is better than the Warden of Tor
>> Yvresse - the Griffon rider wasn't the Eltharion I was including.
>

>Oh. Still, you can understand my confusion.

Not really. You didn't think I was referring to the old Dragon Princes
when I mentioned those, did you?

>> Maybe it's because I've got Eltharion (and the Silver Helms)
>> but not the Dragon Princes - the Princes look good in the
>> component list on GW's site, but not a match for these or
>> the Phoenix Guard.
>

>I've got Dragon Princes & Phoenix Guard. I think the Black Guard are
>better-looking than the Phoenix Guard, which seem a bit plain from what
>I think they should be.

>From my view of them on GW's website, the PG look to be exceptionally
well-detailed.

>>>SKAVEN
>>>Screaming Bell
>>>
>>>No way. Doomwheel.
>>

>> It's fun,
>

>That's the point!

And the Screaming Bell's sinister, which is the point of that model...

>Speaking of Skaven, I wonder if they'd paint well as possums... Hmm...
> The brown scheme just doesn't work for me.

Rats come in other colours too...

>>>All of the plastics are good, especially the Dryads.
>>

>> I'd actually say they're the weakest of the plastics, simply because
>> the Glade Guard and Glade Riders are so good. The facial expressions in
>> the close-ups I've seen of the Dryads don't look brilliantly-executed.
>> Drycha, the metal Dryad, is extremely good, though.
>
>The Dryads are an impressive redesign - I like them and how they've been
>reconcepted.

The design is great, although I'm not sure they should look quite that,
well, evil. I just think the Elf plastics are better still.

>>>I don't really like the new Wardancers.
>>
>> Aside from the Lord I think they're great, especially the champion with
>> two swords (as opposed to the one with sword and swordstaff)
>

>Tho you have to bundle in the hyper special models, which takes the
>range down.

They're actually very well-done models, it's just the posing that's
absurd (and even then I like the one who isn't polevaulting).

>Anyhow, top of the range really is the Forest Dragon. It's awesome.

This is true, of course, and its new riders do anything but hurt it in
that regard (the sprites, though...). Kudos to GW for keeping the best
models from the last two editions (Forest Dragon and the Green Knight)
in the 6th Ed. ranges. I really like the Wardancers, though.

>>>Skaven,
>>
>> Only one.
>

>And yet, you didn't stretch for the Gnoblars.

I don't much like the Gnoblars - their poses and 'weapons' let them
down.

>>>at all shows you've been standing on your head for much too long.
>>
>> I really think you ought to take a closer look at the Lizardmen range,
>> preferably not painted by GW - it might surprise you,
>

>If someone were to paint Lizardmen after actual lizards, they wouldn't
>look nearly as bad.

If someone were to paint Lizardmen in any colour combination other than
bright light blue and bright red they wouldn't look nearly as bad (yes,
even if they were painted white and purple...) - there's probably a
reason the GW Studio Slann looks so much better than the rest. Check
out GW's website in the Lizardmen section - there's a nicely-done green
Skink Chief with cloak of feathers there. Any Lizardmen model that can
still look good even in GW's blue-and-red paintscheme can't be anything
short of exceptional, and IMO two of the new Skinks fit the bill.

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:39:07 PM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea pbowles@aol.com said

> Despite my best efforts (I've been starting any number of threads with
> "Review" in the title...) the group's pretty dead at the moment - I
> suppose it's summer for everyone on the wrong side of the world... Oh,
> well, in an attempt to liven things up, and with one of GW's strongest
> WFB ranges on the way, what do people think are the best models in each
> GW range (either WFB or 40k)? Which are the ones you regard as the
> 'must-haves' in each army? To start things off, here's my list for WFB
> (some armies have no must-haves - Ogres and Beastmen, obviously, also
> Dwarfs and Orcs. The Vampires don't really, but I've included one just
> to be generous).

I refuse to play if that's your attitude.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

pbowles@aol.com wrote:
>>>Which are the ones you regard as the 'must-haves' in each army?
>
>>Didn't we do this already?
>
> Don't remember it if we did.

Per your Bear comment, yes, we did.

>>>(some armies have no must-haves - Ogres and Beastmen, obviously, also
>>>Dwarfs and Orcs. The Vampires don't really, but I've included one just
>>>to be generous).
>>
>>>BRETONNIA: The Green Knight
>
> Got this; Men at Arms are passable.
>
> There are plenty of things that are more than passable that I haven't
> put in the list, a lot of them better than Men-at-Arms.

I recently painted the Sorcoress. Aside from the wierd stick, she's a
really delicate model. Shame on you for not listing her.

>>>DARK ELVES
>>>Mengil Manhide's Manflayers
>>
>>Mengele is a DoW!
>
> In shops he's in the Dark Elf range.

By the rules, he's a DoW RoR.

> Mainly because there isn't a DoW one on general sale.

So where are Pizarro's boys? Lizardmen?

> Anyway, if you're classing him as DoW you'll also have to
> concede that the Slayer axe-thrower is DoW, and do you really
> want that shame?

I'm already stuck with the Giants, and you say the Hewer is materially
worse?

>>Also, Black Guard beats Executioners.
>
> I'm not thrilled by the helmets - the proportions just look
> slightly wrong, which prevents them getting in my list.

I don't like the Executioner swords.

>>>DOGS OF WAR: Braganza's Besiegers
>>
>>Got this. Albion isn't exciting.
>
> I love the character to the Albion models, especially the Truthsayer.

So I've got you on record for the Giants of Albion and Hengus the
Druid??? I'm never going to let you live this down! ;)

> The other DoW I listed are very good historicals, but to me they just
> don't have the same presence.

That is because the game is Fantasy, not Ancient.

> Agreed that the Besiegers are the best of them, though - I'm
> seriously thinking of ordering their boxed set when
> I place the Wood Elf army book advance order.

They are great models, but very inefficient for their points.

>>>EMPIRE
>>>Empire Knightly Order
>>>Empire Cannon
>>>Greatswords
>>>Steam Tank
>>>
>>>Best: Steam Tank
>>
>>Yup. Gottem, along with the old infantry.
>
> To me the old infantry, even the Militia, are starting to look their
> age, especially in the facial department, and I was never keen on the
> poses of the swordsmen.

Better than the Spearmen...

>>>HIGH ELVES
>>>High Elf Silver Helms
>>>Dragon Princes
>>>Phoenix Guard
>>>Best: Eltharion
>>
>>No way. Dragon Princes are better than the Warden of Tor Yvesse.
>
> The White Sword of Hoeth is better than the Warden of Tor
> Yvresse - the Griffon rider wasn't the Eltharion I was including.

Oh. Still, you can understand my confusion.

> Maybe it's because I've got Eltharion (and the Silver Helms)
> but not the Dragon Princes - the Princes look good in the
> component list on GW's site, but not a match for these or
> the Phoenix Guard.

I've got Dragon Princes & Phoenix Guard. I think the Black Guard are
better-looking than the Phoenix Guard, which seem a bit plain from what
I think they should be.

>>>SKAVEN
>>>Screaming Bell
>>
>>No way. Doomwheel.
>
> It's fun,

That's the point!

> The Doomwheel's a good model, but it's too much of a
> comedy model.

Speaking of Skaven, I wonder if they'd paint well as possums... Hmm...
The brown scheme just doesn't work for me.

>>>WOOD ELVES
>>>The Sisters of Twilight
>>>Drycha
>>>Highborn with great weapon
>>>Glade Guard
>>>Glade Riders
>>>Dryads
>>>Wardancers
>>>
>>>Best: Wardancers
>>
>>All of the plastics are good, especially the Dryads.
>
> I'd actually say they're the weakest of the plastics, simply because
> the Glade Guard and Glade Riders are so good. The facial expressions in
> the close-ups I've seen of the Dryads don't look brilliantly-executed.
> Drycha, the metal Dryad, is extremely good, though.

The Dryads are an impressive redesign - I like them and how they've been
reconcepted.

>>I don't really like the new Wardancers.
>
> Aside from the Lord I think they're great, especially the champion with
> two swords (as opposed to the one with sword and swordstaff)

Tho you have to bundle in the hyper special models, which takes the
range down.

Anyhow, top of the range really is the Forest Dragon. It's awesome.

>>I think that you list Kislev,
>
> I've told you before that I like the bear...

Yes.

>>Lizardmen,
>
> They've got good models too. Kroak would be up there if he lost that
> stupid death mask - there's an unmasked version in this month's WD
> which looks infinitely superior. I nearly included the Saurus Warriors
> too, but their hand weapon (and to a lesser extent shield) design lets
> them down.

OK, I have to admit I like the Stegadon.

>>Skaven,
>
> Only one.

And yet, you didn't stretch for the Gnoblars.

>>and Vampire Counts
>
> That's a questionable one anyway - the Wraiths aren't as good as the
> other models I listed, and if the VC had anything else of note I
> wouldn't have counted Wraiths as must-haves. I thought the VC deserved
> some recognition for not totally stinking, though.

I wouldn't have stretched. The Zombies and Skeletons are the closest to
passable.

>>at all shows you've been standing on your head for much too long.
>
> I really think you ought to take a closer look at the Lizardmen range,
> preferably not painted by GW - it might surprise you,

If someone were to paint Lizardmen after actual lizards, they wouldn't
look nearly as bad.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
July 3, 2005 12:58:24 AM

SNIP

> >> Screaming Bell
> >

> >Yeah, but I also like the newer rat ogres.
>
> The new ones? Ugh, can't stand them. I really liked the early 6th Ed.
> Rat Ogres that everyone else hates, though - they got the unit's
> cobbled-together Frankenstein's Monster character absolutely spot on,
> while the new ones are just plastic Ogres with rat heads and fur.

I might be getting them confused, or is there a Mordheim or special
character Rat Ogre that I might be thinking of?

> > I liked the Vermin Lord,
> >although he's not officially part of the range anymore.
>
> I'd still have included him if I thought he was good enough, but I'm
> not convinced he is - though I thought he was great at the time. GW
> models seem to date badly; I can think of very few 4th or 5th (let
> alone earlier) models that have lasted well enough to compare with the
> better current releases.
>
> >> TOMB KINGS
> >

> >> Tomb King with great weapon
> >> Ushabti
> >> Best: Tomb King with great weapon
> >
> >Catapult,
>
> Great model, but I think it would have been better without the mummies
> tied to the struts and without the skeletal Cold Ones as the base of
> the catapult.
>
> > Ushabti,
>
> They're in there...
>
> > Settra
>
> Don't like his pose.
>
> >While we're on the subject, I think VC, O&G, and Dwarf ranges all have
> >the same problem. It's not that they're bad ranges,
>
> The VC one is...

Really? I don't have a problem with the core troops (skellies,zombies,
ghouls, and even dire wolves). I will agree, though, that where the
line really breaks down is the disappointing special troops; Black
Knights and Grave Guard are both just awful.

> there's just
> >nothing that really stands out as superb.
>
> To a large extent this is true of the Lizardmen as well - I see a few
> individual character standouts, but no standout units (though Saurus
> Warriors are damn good plastics in the, well, plastic), and yet there
> isn't a single *bad* model in the current range (save perhaps the
> Salamander. Oh, and the swarms look *really* dated now - with
> Tenenhuain's swarm focus they really should have taken the opportunity
> to redo these). The Brets are another range that's much the same - some
> of the figures are decent, but none stand out are there are a couple of
> low points (Trebuchet, Grail Reliquary).
>
> Nicely painted blocks of
> >Skellies, Gobbos, Warriors, et al, look good on the tabletop, but the
> >individual models don't really stand out. Of course, that is the idea
> >for rank-and-file troops but still...
>
> >Beastmen
> >
> >Shaggoth
>
> I just don't like the Ogre parts - and the dragon forelimbs are a bit
> scrawny.
>
> >O&G
> >

> >The old Marauder Giant
>
> The old Giant? I rather like the new one.

I do too, but the old one just has an ugly puppy appeal to it.

> >the new Fanatics
>
> Not fussed.
>
> >Rock Lobber
>
> Good, but having looked at it on GW's site while considering Orc
> standouts, I decided not that good.

The more recent additions have been better; what the army really needs
is new boars and wolves.

> >Dwarves
> >

> >None really. Some of the Slayers are OK, as well as some of the heroes,
> >but nothing to write home about.
>
> Slayers? They're ridiculous like other old Dwarf models. The Flame
> Cannon, Thunderers, Anvil of Doom and King Alrik are all good IMO, but
> not good enough.
>
> Philip Bowles

At least you can admit, though, that the latest incarnation of the
stunties is much better than the last.

Pat
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:36:21 AM

pbowles@aol.com wrote:

>>>Don't remember it if we did.
>>
>>Per your Bear comment, yes, we did.
>
> Oh, yes, the thing about relative rankings for models. But that didn't
> involve the whole group.

Oh.

>>>There are plenty of things that are more than passable that I haven't
>>>put in the list, a lot of them better than Men-at-Arms.
>>
>>I recently painted the Sorcoress. Aside from the wierd stick, she's a
>>really delicate model. Shame on you for not listing her.
>
> The fleur-de-lys on her head is silly.

[WFB5] Sorcoress, not [WFB6] Damsel. Tho the Damsel (i.e. Sorcoress
with *more* everything: hair, cloak, staff, jewelry) isn't a bad model
at all.

>>>In shops he's in the Dark Elf range.
>>
>>By the rules, he's a DoW RoR.
>
> He's also a Special choice for Dark Elves rather than a DoW
> choice for them,

So? Many of the human RoR are Specials for most armies. Ruglund is
Special for Orks. Tinkiwinky is Special for Lizardmen. Being For Hire
as a Special isn't a good criteria, unless you're going to argue that
the Vendetta are part of Chaos, Skaven, Lizardmen, *and* Tomb Kings.

> and he's listed as being part of both ranges on GW's site. See
> what I mean about needing to clear this sort of thing up?

I see that GW ought to compile all DoW stuff into a single book if even
you can't keep the armies straight. ;)

>>So where are Pizarro's boys? Lizardmen?
>
> Mail Order (now known as "Direct Sales"). Yes, GW really is classing
> things it puts back in its mail order catalogue as "New Releases". In
> practice this means they become slightly cheaper than they were in the
> archive, but that's it. Even Tichi-Huichi's Raiders don't get a general
> release even though there's a Lizardmen range to put them in.

Yes.

>>I'm already stuck with the Giants, and you say the Hewer is
>>materially worse?
>
> Good point.

>>>I love the character to the Albion models, especially the Truthsayer.
>>
>>So I've got you on record for the Giants of Albion and Hengus the
>>Druid???
>
> Albion models as in those that came out with the Albion campaign -

Nice try on the save. ;)

> currently sold as a 3-model set in the mail order DoW range. For some
> reason Hengus is no longer in the DoW range, though his giants are.

1 down, 2 to go.

>>>Agreed that the Besiegers are the best of them,

>>They are great models, but very inefficient for their points.
>
> Oh, who cares?

If you're playing to win over looks, you might care.

> I'm getting to the stage in my WFB 'career' (and with
> financial constraints) that I'm starting to think of shifting my focus
> from getting armies to just collecting

Good choice. Now you've just got one more stage, in which you only buy
what you're going to field, after everything is painted / sold.

That's where I am, and why I'm not buying Wood Elves.

>>>The White Sword of Hoeth is better than the Warden of Tor
>>>Yvresse - the Griffon rider wasn't the Eltharion I was including.
>>
>>Oh. Still, you can understand my confusion.
>
> Not really. You didn't think I was referring to the old Dragon Princes
> when I mentioned those, did you?

No, because you referenced the website, and I own what should be the
current models. Until you mentioned a FDL on the Bret Sorcoress, I
wasn't aware that she'd been redone.

>>>It's fun,
>>
>>That's the point!
>
> And the Screaming Bell's sinister, which is the point of that model...

Oh?

>>Speaking of Skaven, I wonder if they'd paint well as possums... Hmm...
>> The brown scheme just doesn't work for me.
>
> Rats come in other colours too...

Yes, but somehow the army of NIMH doesn't work well, either.

>>The Dryads are an impressive redesign - I like them and how they've been
>>reconcepted.
>
> The design is great, although I'm not sure they should look quite that,
> well, evil.

Why not? 200-300 years ago, the great forests of Europe were justly
feared as a source of death. I like the new Dryads.

>>Tho you have to bundle in the hyper special models, which takes the
>>range down.
>
> They're actually very well-done models, it's just the posing that's
> absurd (and even then I like the one who isn't polevaulting).

Posing are a big part of the models. Witness the new Striking Scorpions
as how a bad pose can ruin a model.

>>Anyhow, top of the range really is the Forest Dragon. It's awesome.
>
> This is true, of course, and its new riders do anything but hurt it in
> that regard (the sprites, though...). Kudos to GW for keeping the best
> models from the last two editions (Forest Dragon and the Green Knight)
> in the 6th Ed. ranges.

I suppose...

> I really like the Wardancers, though.

They're better, but don't quite work for me. Probably need to see a 3rd
party paint job.

>>And yet, you didn't stretch for the Gnoblars.
>
> I don't much like the Gnoblars - their poses and 'weapons' let them
> down.

Bah. Clearly top of the range.

>>If someone were to paint Lizardmen after actual lizards, they wouldn't
>>look nearly as bad.
>
> If someone were to paint Lizardmen in any colour combination other than
> bright light blue and bright red they wouldn't look nearly as bad

True.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
July 4, 2005 6:08:52 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Doctor Rock said

> Dwarf With Inferiority Complex was pretty good.

Thanks to kaine I have that and Slayer with Dragon head.

I recently picked up the Dwarf Queen as well.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:36:12 AM

>>>I recently painted the Sorcoress. Aside from the wierd stick, she's a
>>>really delicate model. Shame on you for not listing her.
>

>> The fleur-de-lys on her head is silly.
>

>[WFB5] Sorcoress, not [WFB6] Damsel.

Oh. The one in a wavy pose holding a grail?

>>>In shops he's in the Dark Elf range.

>> He's also a Special choice for Dark Elves rather than a DoW
>> choice for them,
>

>So? Many of the human RoR are Specials for most armies. Ruglund is
>Special for Orks.

Quite. He's an Ork unit. He's even in an Ork army list (Grimgor's
'Ardboyz).

Tinkiwinky is Special for Lizardmen. Being For Hire
>as a Special isn't a good criteria, unless you're going to argue that
>the Vendetta are part of Chaos, Skaven, Lizardmen, *and* Tomb Kings.

They need to stop doing things like that - why bother putting a DoW
Rare entry in every book if some RoRs are going to flout it completely?
The Vendetta should be Rare for every non-DoW/Tilean army - get rid of
the For Hire rules, include racial RoRs in their own army list and the
DoW rule will just mean they can be taken using the DoW entry in each
army book (which in my formulation would be Rare for non-Tilean armies,
Special for Tilea) - in any case I'd do away with units like Vespero
anyway since they're just Hero-led versions of basic units, and up the
basic unit leader option (not quite to Hero status, but above normal
Champion stats - certainly +1Ld, maybe +1S and/or +1W over normal
Champions too).

>> and he's listed as being part of both ranges on GW's site. See
>> what I mean about needing to clear this sort of thing up?
>

>I see that GW ought to compile all DoW stuff into a single book if even
>you can't keep the armies straight. ;)

Never gonna happen.

>>So where are Pizarro's boys? Lizardmen?

>> Mail Order (now known as "Direct Sales"). Yes, GW really is classing
>> things it puts back in its mail order catalogue as "New Releases". In
>> practice this means they become slightly cheaper than they were in the
>> archive, but that's it. Even Tichi-Huichi's Raiders don't get a general
>> release even though there's a Lizardmen range to put them in.
>

>Yes.

Not that that's too bad a thing - they really are ugly models. Still,
with only 10 units in the main army list the Lizards have the smallest
list of all, and would benefit from all the extra unit types they can
get. I'd be pretty confident that some form of Skink Cohort and the
Engine of the Gods will be on the cards for the next incarnation of the
main book (which is far enough off that they should be able to
accommodate a model as large as the Arcanodon), even if the Horned One
Riders are excluded fluffily.

>> I'm getting to the stage in my WFB 'career' (and with
>> financial constraints) that I'm starting to think of shifting my focus
>> from getting armies to just collecting
>

>Good choice. Now you've just got one more stage, in which you only buy
>what you're going to field, after everything is painted / sold.

I was going to plan on that basis (hence planning a Lizardmen army that
would use every one of the models I bought, and a Hgh Elf one largely
so that I'd be able to use the Hero I have in Australia), but I won't
wait until I've painted all my models before buying more, simply
because I'll be investing in new and unfamiliar paints and a limited
edition High Elf is probably not the best figure to start on in that
regard. Plus he'll require a dozen or more paints many of which I
probably won't use much of in other armies, and it seems a waste to buy
them just to paint one High Elf. I'd probably end up buying units of
Dragon Princes and Phoenix Guard into the bargain to have something to
paint...

>>>Oh. Still, you can understand my confusion.
>>

>> Not really. You didn't think I was referring to the old Dragon Princes
>> when I mentioned those, did you?
>

>No, because you referenced the website, and I own what should be the
>current models. Until you mentioned a FDL on the Bret Sorcoress, I
>wasn't aware that she'd been redone.

I'm sure I've mentioned Eltharion's revision quite often in our
discussions on model quality, since I do regard him as among the best
figures in current GW ranges.

>>>It's fun,
>>

>>>That's the point!
>>

>> And the Screaming Bell's sinister, which is the point of that model...
>

>Oh?

In case you're wondering, I'm thinking of the 6th Ed. Screaming Bell,
not the 4th Ed. one... The ramshackle, towering one with an evil,
foreboding look to it.

>>>The Dryads are an impressive redesign - I like them and how they've been
>>>reconcepted.
>>
>> The design is great, although I'm not sure they should look quite that,
>> well, evil.
>

>Why not?

Look at it this way - when I first saw them I thought "chop off the
twigs and those would make *excellent* Banshees". I know GW wants to
emphasise the more ambiguous nature of the Wood Elves rather than the
shiny, squeaky-clean one, and I applaud the change in direction, but
these things look as though they'd scare Bloodletters.

> 200-300 years ago, the great forests of Europe were justly
>feared as a source of death.

Oh yes, the character's absolutely perfect for the models. Just not
quite as perfect for the rest of the army (including the distinctly
lacklustre metal tree-things). Drycha's more in the style of the army.

> I like the new Dryads.

I never said I didn't - they are, after all, in my 'must haves'.

>>>Tho you have to bundle in the hyper special models, which takes the
>>>range down.
>>
>> They're actually very well-done models, it's just the posing that's
>> absurd (and even then I like the one who isn't polevaulting).
>

>Posing are a big part of the models. Witness the new Striking Scorpions
>as how a bad pose can ruin a model.

Well, the helmets, oversized mandiblasters and too-large armour plates
would ruin those anyway. In any case I wouldn't quite call the Mail
Order Wardancer poses 'bad', any more than I'd call the drunken Dwarf
poses 'bad' - it's just that they're novelty models rather than
something you'd want to use in an army.

>> I really like the Wardancers, though.
>

>They're better, but don't quite work for me.

What do you think they're missing? The weapons are better-scaled, the
poses are better and the hairstyles better than their predecessors, and
to my mind that's all that needed fixing.

> Probably need to see a 3rd
>party paint job.

I don't know - there's a limit to the variety in paintschemes possible
in a mostly-naked Elf model... I probably won't go with the yellow GW
has, though - I'm thinking probably brown clothing with red and green
streamers etc.

>>>And yet, you didn't stretch for the Gnoblars.
>>>
>>> I don't much like the Gnoblars - their poses and 'weapons' let them
>> down.
>

>Bah. Clearly top of the range.

Top of the Ogre Kingdoms range (Gnoblar Trappers, anyway). How much is
that saying?

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:55:25 AM

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> Despite my best efforts (I've been starting any number of threads with
> "Review" in the title...) the group's pretty dead at the moment - I
> suppose it's summer for everyone on the wrong side of the world...

[snip]

'Tis not something I can answer myself, just getting back into it after a
hobby holiday.

But I'm finding the traditional tactica of Goblinoid armies just as
effective as they always were. :)

And some of my vintage models cause a stir.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

pbowles@aol.com wrote:

>>>The fleur-de-lys on her head is silly.
>>
>>[WFB5] Sorcoress, not [WFB6] Damsel.
>
> Oh. The one in a wavy pose holding a grail?

It looks like a bird head on a stick.

>> Being For Hire as a Special isn't a good criteria, unless
>> you're going to argue that the Vendetta are part of Chaos,
>> Skaven, Lizardmen, *and* Tomb Kings.
>
> They need to stop doing things like that - why bother putting
> a DoW Rare entry in every book if some RoRs are going to flout
> it completely?

Most DoW and RoRs aren't worth a Rare slot, and the placeholder is of
some value for units that don't specify.

> I'd do away with units like Vespero anyway since they're just
> Hero-led versions of basic units,

Aside from a minor Magic item and not-quite-standard unit stats/options,
sure.

> and up the basic unit leader option (not quite to Hero status,
> but above normal Champion stats - certainly +1Ld, maybe +1S
> and/or +1W over normal Champions too).

Basic DoW units should have both basic Champions DoW armies should have
a further option for sub-Hero Champions with limited Wargear access to
the Armoury.

>>I see that GW ought to compile all DoW stuff into a single book
>>if even you can't keep the armies straight. ;)
>
> Never gonna happen.

Yes, I know. :(

> I'd be pretty confident that some form of Skink Cohort and the
> Engine of the Gods will be on the cards for the next incarnation of the
> main book

OK.

>>Now you've just got one more stage, in which you only buy
>>what you're going to field, after everything is painted / sold.
>
> I was going to plan on that basis (hence planning a Lizardmen army that
> would use every one of the models I bought, and a Hgh Elf one largely
> so that I'd be able to use the Hero I have in Australia),

OK.

> but I won't wait until I've painted all my models before buying
> more, simply because I'll be investing in new and unfamiliar paints

FWIW, my pop-top Citadel Colour paints are still going strong. I just
re-thinned them (I like them to be a little thicker than milk), as it's
been a few years since I've done so, some have started to thicken up a
bit. I still haven't broken open my Vallejos yet.

> and a limited edition High Elf is probably not the best figure
> to start on in that regard.

Why not? I'd feel comfortable jumping in on any of my models. Heck, I
just painted my first Warmachine Slayer, and I feel like he turned out
quite nicely -- better than either reference scheme.

> Plus he'll require a dozen or more paints many of which I probably
> won't use much of in other armies, and it seems a waste to buy
> them just to paint one High Elf.

You don't yet own a full range of paint?

> I'd probably end up buying units of Dragon Princes and Phoenix
> Guard into the bargain to have something to paint...

OK, tho I think if you start with the Core units and work you way up
through the Specials and Rares to the Characters and Lords, you'll be
just fine, regardless of what models you have.

I, on the other hand tend to start with a single "key" model and
extrapolate from there...

>>No, because you referenced the website, and I own what should be the
>>current models. Until you mentioned a FDL on the Bret Sorcoress, I
>>wasn't aware that she'd been redone.
>
> I'm sure I've mentioned Eltharion's revision quite often in our
> discussions on model quality, since I do regard him as among the best
> figures in current GW ranges.

I probably just didn't pay attention. Sorry.

>>>And the Screaming Bell's sinister, which is the point of that model...
>>
>>Oh?
>
> In case you're wondering, I'm thinking of the 6th Ed. Screaming Bell,
> not the 4th Ed. one... The ramshackle, towering one with an evil,
> foreboding look to it.

They redid the Screaming Bell?

-dig, dig-

Oh. So they did. It looks like it'd tip over in an instant.

>>>The design is great, although I'm not sure they should look quite that,
>>>well, evil.
>>
>>Why not?
>
> Look at it this way - when I first saw them I thought "chop off the
> twigs and those would make *excellent* Banshees". I know GW wants to
> emphasise the more ambiguous nature of the Wood Elves rather than the
> shiny, squeaky-clean one, and I applaud the change in direction, but
> these things look as though they'd scare Bloodletters.

That's *good*, IMO.

>>200-300 years ago, the great forests of Europe were justly
>>feared as a source of death.
>
> Oh yes, the character's absolutely perfect for the models. Just not
> quite as perfect for the rest of the army (including the distinctly
> lacklustre metal tree-things). Drycha's more in the style of the army.

Actually, I'm more disappointed the rest of the tree stuff doesn't match
up to the Dryads.

>> I like the new Dryads.
>
> I never said I didn't - they are, after all, in my 'must haves'.

:)

>>Posing are a big part of the models. Witness the new Striking Scorpions
>>as how a bad pose can ruin a model.
>
> Well, the helmets, oversized mandiblasters and too-large armour plates
> would ruin those anyway. In any case I wouldn't quite call the Mail
> Order Wardancer poses 'bad', any more than I'd call the drunken Dwarf
> poses 'bad' - it's just that they're novelty models rather than
> something you'd want to use in an army.

OK.

>>>I really like the Wardancers, though.
>>
>>They're better, but don't quite work for me.
>
> What do you think they're missing? The weapons are better-scaled, the
> poses are better and the hairstyles better than their predecessors, and
> to my mind that's all that needed fixing.

Maybe it's the paint scheme?

>>Probably need to see a 3rd
>>party paint job.
>
> I don't know - there's a limit to the variety in paintschemes possible
> in a mostly-naked Elf model... I probably won't go with the yellow GW
> has, though - I'm thinking probably brown clothing with red and green
> streamers etc.

Tattoos / warpaint?

>>>down.
>>
>>Bah. Clearly top of the range.
>
> Top of the Ogre Kingdoms range (Gnoblar Trappers, anyway).
> How much is that saying?

You mentioned Wraiths.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
July 5, 2005 4:07:21 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea pbowles@aol.com said

>> No your opinion that Dwarfs have no must haves. What about drunk
>> Dwarfs, Bugman's cart, Chef Dwarf, Samurai Dwarf, Running Dwarf et
>> al.
>
> Well, I didn't go all through Stuff of Legends, and I only recognise a
> few of these - bar Bugman's Cart they're comedy models, which I
> wouldn't rate as 'must-haves' save for novelty value (though I do
> quite like the drunk Dwarfs).

Perhaps but you're obviously crazy. Any real WFB would have recognized
that the Forge is a must have, and I don't remember you mentioning the
Empire Steam 'F' Tank.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:49:20 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea pbowles@aol.com said

> Despite my best efforts (I've been starting any number of threads with
> "Review" in the title...) the group's pretty dead at the moment - I
> suppose it's summer for everyone on the wrong side of the world...

Don't be blaming the group for your poor technique. Here's a few
suggestions

"[Poll] Favourite WFB Model, if you're not a an American with all your
taste in your arse."

"[Poll] Favourite WFB Model, if you live in a real country where you can
buy them."

"[Poll] Favourite WFB Model, and aren't Canadians ridiculous!"

"[Poll] WFB Model you'd least like shoved up your jacksy."

"[Poll] How many WFB Models could you stick in Myr's hair?"

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:54:53 AM

Robert Singers wrote:
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea pbowles@aol.com said
>
>> Despite my best efforts (I've been starting any number of threads
>> with "Review" in the title...) the group's pretty dead at the moment
>> - I suppose it's summer for everyone on the wrong side of the
>> world...
>
> Don't be blaming the group for your poor technique. Here's a few
> suggestions
>
> "[Poll] Favourite WFB Model, if you're not a an American with all your
> taste in your arse."
>
> "[Poll] Favourite WFB Model, if you live in a real country where you
> can buy them."
>
> "[Poll] Favourite WFB Model, and aren't Canadians ridiculous!"
>
> "[Poll] WFB Model you'd least like shoved up your jacksy."
>
> "[Poll] How many WFB Models could you stick in Myr's hair?"

YES! See, Philip, something like this would have jarred me out of my
midsummer slumber lots earlier than the two days it took me to finally post
my thoughts on the 40k part of your question (somewhere lower down on this
thread, by now).

"[Poll] Which 40k model can hold a candle to the wonderful Tau Battlesuits,
which should totally be the centerpiece of any Tau army?"

Something like that might have fired people up as well...

--
Ken Coble

That's what you get for pretending the danger's not real
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well-trodden corridors into the valley of steel
-Pink Floyd, "Sheep"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:12:13 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Kenneth Coble said

> "[Poll] Which 40k model can hold a candle to the wonderful Tau
> Battlesuits, which should totally be the centerpiece of any Tau army?"
>
> Something like that might have fired people up as well...

I think you're right. Holding a candle to a plastic Tau battlesuit would
cause it to melt and drip. Causing one to yell and drop the candle,
setting the plastic on fire and whatever body part it landed on.

And we all know what the people on this NG do to a burnt animal shaped
lump.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:26:53 AM

In article <Xns968A82888EC2Crsingers@IP-Hidden>, Robert Singers,
rsingers@finger.hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea pbowles@aol.com said
>
> > Despite my best efforts (I've been starting any number of threads with
> > "Review" in the title...) the group's pretty dead at the moment - I
> > suppose it's summer for everyone on the wrong side of the world...

<snip>

> "[Poll] How many WFB Models could you stick in Myr's hair?"

Ha, the answer is quite simple - send me all your minis and I'll let you
know.

Myr :)

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

July 5, 2005 6:38:19 AM

Robert Singers wrote:

> And we all know what the people on this NG do to a burnt animal shaped
> lump.

I think I know this one. It's "pyronecrobestiality," right?

God, I _have_ been here too long.
--
Ken Coble

That's what you get for pretending the danger's not real
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well-trodden corridors into the valley of steel
-Pink Floyd, "Sheep"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:41:07 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

>> "[Poll] How many WFB Models could you stick in Myr's hair?"
>
> Ha, the answer is quite simple - send me all your minis and I'll let you
> know.

A better game would be to throw them at you and see if they stick.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
July 5, 2005 12:42:15 PM

"Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said
>
>>> "[Poll] How many WFB Models could you stick in Myr's hair?"
>>
>> Ha, the answer is quite simple - send me all your minis and I'll let you
>> know.
>
> A better game would be to throw them at you and see if they stick.

Nahhh

[40k/whfb] Which model has as much hair as Myr?

--
estarriol
Anonymous

In article <2Hlye.118212$XQ.1870493@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Kenneth Coble wrote:

> DARK ELDAR
> Uh.

What about the Incubi?

> ORKS
> Sorry, I just don't like this range. I got that one box of Ork Boyz cheap
> that I'm using as Big Mutants in my LatD army, but they'll be fairly heavily
> converted.

Dread, kans, burna boyz, and grotz.

--
Joakim
Anonymous

jockelinde wrote:
> In article <2Hlye.118212$XQ.1870493@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
> Kenneth Coble wrote:
>

>> DARK ELDAR
>> Uh.
>
> What about the Incubi?

Actually they're my favorite part of the DE line. I like everything about
them - except for their pointy Tormentor Helms. If those were toned down a
little bit I could say I like the models; as it is they're just passable.

>> ORKS
>> Sorry, I just don't like this range. I got that one box of Ork Boyz
>> cheap that I'm using as Big Mutants in my LatD army, but they'll be
>> fairly heavily converted.
>
> Dread, kans, burna boyz, and grotz.

Well, like I said I'm just not an big Ork fan, which is why I refrained from
any more specific comments since I didn't figure I'd be a good judge of the
range. I guess the grotz have a certain loony charm to them (I like the one
with the giant revolver), but the few people I know that play orks don't
seem to use them, so they didn't really come to mind. The dreads and kans
don't do anything for me though.

I guess maybe saying that I "don't like the range" may have been a bit
strong: it's made up of a lot of minis I feel neutral towards, and it
possibly has fewer disappointing minis than other armies I like better from
a fluff standpoint - Chaos, for example. I love my slowly (oh so slowly)
completing Word Bearers army, but the vast majority of the models will be
basic CSMs (even my Raptors are converted from CSM and Berzerker parts with
SM jumppacks). But the Termies will be converted from Grey Knights instead
of the oh-so-pointy GW offering, and I am still trying to figure out if
there's any good-but-simple way for me to come up with an alternate
Obliterator (perhaps the new SM Termies with a ton of spare weapons bitz and
some judicious green stuff use?)

--
Ken Coble

That's what you get for pretending the danger's not real
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well-trodden corridors into the valley of steel
-Pink Floyd, "Sheep"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:23:22 PM

In article <oKsye.119220$XQ.1904699@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Kenneth Coble wrote:
> jockelinde wrote:
>> In article <2Hlye.118212$XQ.1870493@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
>> Kenneth Coble wrote:

>>> ORKS
>>> Sorry, I just don't like this range. I got that one box of Ork Boyz
>>> cheap that I'm using as Big Mutants in my LatD army, but they'll be
>>> fairly heavily converted.
>>
>> Dread, kans, burna boyz, and grotz.
>
> Well, like I said I'm just not an big Ork fan, which is why I refrained from
> any more specific comments since I didn't figure I'd be a good judge of the
> range. I guess the grotz have a certain loony charm to them (I like the one
> with the giant revolver), but the few people I know that play orks don't
> seem to use them, so they didn't really come to mind.

The reason you are not seeing any metal grotz used is probably because
grotz should be fielded in units of 30. Who wants to pay an entire
boatload of cash for a unit worth 90 points?

I just bought 40+ of the 2nd ed plastic gretchin. This means that I
can now field 3, possibly 4, full grot mobs :-D

> I guess maybe saying that I "don't like the range" may have been a bit
> strong: it's made up of a lot of minis I feel neutral towards, and it
> possibly has fewer disappointing minis than other armies I like better from
> a fluff standpoint - Chaos, for example. I love my slowly (oh so slowly)
> completing Word Bearers army, but the vast majority of the models will be
> basic CSMs (even my Raptors are converted from CSM and Berzerker parts with
> SM jumppacks). But the Termies will be converted from Grey Knights instead
> of the oh-so-pointy GW offering, and I am still trying to figure out if
> there's any good-but-simple way for me to come up with an alternate
> Obliterator (perhaps the new SM Termies with a ton of spare weapons bitz and
> some judicious green stuff use?)

Qrab converted a couple of obliterators. I think the photos are on the
rgmw-genbus.

--
Joakim
Anonymous

It was a cold day in September when Kenneth Coble entered the world pub
known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> Robert Singers wrote:
>
> > And we all know what the people on this NG do to a burnt animal shaped
> > lump.
>
> I think I know this one. It's "pyronecrobestiality," right?
>
> God, I _have_ been here too long.

DING, DING, DING! Look we have a win...where in the hell did that bell come
from?
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:42:07 PM

"estarriol" <estarriol@blueyonder.jeansNtshirt.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D addkm$66e$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...

> "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

>>> Ha, the answer is quite simple - send me all your minis and I'll let you
>>> know.
>>
>> A better game would be to throw them at you and see if they stick.
>>
> Nahhh
>
> [40k/whfb] Which model has as much hair as Myr?

The Beastmen
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:18:28 PM

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> Despite my best efforts (I've been starting any number of threads with
> "Review" in the title...) the group's pretty dead at the moment

Yeah, well, I know I've been busy, infants are pretty high-maintenance (as
I'm sure plenty here would agree) plus my temporary work permit finally came
through, so I'm job hunting. In between times, I'm also getting the batreps
for the rest of my BFG campaign sorted out (I have notes from 7 battles I
need to work up). As for your reviews, I don't buy White Dwarf, and I've not
seen either movie, though I do want to see Batman Begins.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:19:05 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea estarriol said

> [40k/whfb] Which model has as much hair as Myr?

Wouldn't that involve models that will not be mentioned which rumour has it
were modeled after him in his seventies phase.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:22:54 AM

"jockelinde" <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message
> In article <2Hlye.118212$XQ.1870493@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
> Kenneth Coble wrote:
>

>> DARK ELDAR
>> Uh.
>
> What about the Incubi?

The armor design is ok but the half-squat poses make them all
look like they're taking dumps inside their suits. Plus the body
proportions seem off. The special character Master of Blades
incubi is ok.

The DE Haemonculi are the only figures from the range I'd buy
with the special character one being the best.

--

-smithdoerr
Anonymous

pbow...@aol.com wrote:
>>> Being For Hire as a Special isn't a good criteria, unless
>>> you're going to argue that the Vendetta are part of Chaos,
>>> Skaven, Lizardmen, *and* Tomb Kings.
>>
>> They need to stop doing things like that - why bother putting
>> a DoW Rare entry in every book if some RoRs are going to flout
>> it completely?
>

>Most DoW and RoRs aren't worth a Rare slot,

No, but the point is to revise the RoRs in the process - the Rare slot
isn't because DoW units are especially good anyway, it's because of the
flexibility armies have in selecting units outside their normal
selection and the fact that most are led by Hero-level characters.

and the placeholder is of
>some value for units that don't specify.

>> and up the basic unit leader option (not quite to Hero status,
>> but above normal Champion stats - certainly +1Ld, maybe +1S
>> and/or +1W over normal Champions too).
>

>Basic DoW units should have both basic Champions DoW armies should have
>a further option for sub-Hero Champions with limited Wargear access to
>the Armoury.

This isn't 40k - there's no generic wargear armoury selection and most
magic items are of limited use to relatively weak unit leader
characters (that's why the magic item allowances for various armies'
unit champions are no big deal).

>FWIW, my pop-top Citadel Colour paints are still going strong.

Really old ones or new ones? I presume the former - if the latter it's
not much surprise since they've barely been out a year if that, and
I've had the notorious screwtops last longer than that. Not that it
matters unduky to me - when I get to painting models in earnest I tend
to go through the pots fairly quickly. Of course that brings up the
point that GW pots are too small for their price...

>> and a limited edition High Elf is probably not the best figure
>> to start on in that regard.
>

>Why not?

I don't know either the formulations or how the exact colours match
what I expect them to look like - colour charts are all very well, but
mail order has its disadvantages.

>> Plus he'll require a dozen or more paints many of which I probably
>> won't use much of in other armies, and it seems a waste to buy
>> them just to paint one High Elf.
>

>You don't yet own a full range of paint?

Not in Australia, and in any case those I have back in the UK are GW
ones, which are simply horribly expensive considering that my financial
situation isn't terribly secure at the moment - even sufficient Vallejo
ones will be pushing it at somewhere in the region of AU$5 a pot, given
how many I'll need just to get started on one or two models.

>>>200-300 years ago, the great forests of Europe were justly
>>>feared as a source of death.
>>
>> Oh yes, the character's absolutely perfect for the models. Just not
>> quite as perfect for the rest of the army (including the distinctly
>> lacklustre metal tree-things). Drycha's more in the style of the army.
>

>Actually, I'm more disappointed the rest of the tree stuff doesn't match
>up to the Dryads.

Oh, absolutely, but more in model quality than theme to me (though
Dryad-style heads rather than the horrible wood-dinosaur heads they
seem to have gone for would have been a distinct improvement) -
remember the tree things will usually be fielded in an Elf army (and
not a Dark Elf one), so they can't look *too* nasty.

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:33:48 AM

"Robert Singers" <rsing...@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Ha, the answer is quite simple - send me all your minis and I'll let you
>>> know.
>>

>> A better game would be to throw them at you and see if they stick.
>

>Nahhh
>
>[40k/whfb] Which model has as much hair as Myr?

The Yhetee.

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:20:55 PM

In article <1120620204.c07d98c2530ca921f30fa2c38b030cdc@teranews>, smithdoerr wrote:

> "jockelinde" <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message
>> In article <2Hlye.118212$XQ.1870493@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
>> Kenneth Coble wrote:
>>

>>> DARK ELDAR
>>> Uh.
>>
>> What about the Incubi?
>
> The armor design is ok but the half-squat poses make them all
> look like they're taking dumps inside their suits.

If you had just bought a brand new suit of armour, with a whole bunch
of nifty features, wouldn't you want to show off the "Go Anywhere"
built-in waste management plant?

--
Joakim
Anonymous

A few of the 40k models from each army I like in no particular
order:

Chaos Marines:
Space Marine Daemon Prince - 'cause he's a big ugly mutated space
marine. Though like all of GW's large sized models it's a bit
pricy even by GW standards.
Horrors and Flamers of Tzeentch - I like how alien they look

Daemonhunters:
Grey Knight Terminators - Large knightly terminators are cool.
Default color scheme is a bit boring though.
The Autosavant henchman guy that comes in the Torquemada Coteaz
box set. Too bad they don't sell this guy separately (other than
mail order).

Dark Eldar:
Haemonculi - Like the Hellraiser look and unlike most of he DE
they're nicely proportioned. The Urien special character has the
best, least flat, pose of the three.

Eldar:
I like all of the Exarchs with the Swooping Hawk and Banshee
being my faves. They have just enough "extra stuff" to make them
stand out from their aspect squads without being cluttered.
Grav Tank - GW managed to design a model that looks fast and
sleek yet still retains lots of detail and texture. Unlike the
Tau vehicles...

Imperial Guard:
Techpriest Enginseers - cool minis, stupid name.
Plastic Cadians - All around great "space armymen".

Necrons:
Lord, Immortal, and Warriors - I like skeletons and I like
robots. But I don't like mixed media in my miniatures so I would
definitely paint the plastic rods.

Orks:
All three Nobs in Mega Armor - Large multi part figures with
loads of cluttered detail. Very orky. Plus the visor things
obscure the goofy cartoon-like mouths the latest orks all have.

Space Marines:
Plastic Tac Box - these guys still look good even after 5 years
(or is it 6 now?). Multi-part plastics with tons of conversion
possibilities.
Devastators - same as above only with big-ass weapons.

Tau:
Plastic Fire Warriors - Nice looking medium-armored troops.
Didn't care for the hoofed feet at first but they've grown on me.
Multi-part plastics for infinite posing.
Plastic Kroot - Semi-primitive rasta aliens. Did I mention I
like multi-part plastics?

Tyranids:
Like most of the new models but the new Carnifex is the best -
Big hulking plastic model with lots of bits options!

Witch Hunters:
Limited edition Inquisitor Lorr - I like him because he looks
like the old comic book character Grimjack. Too bad he's only
mail order (if he's even still available).

--

-smithdoerr
Anonymous

I'm back from my long weekend just in time to post late to this.

Bretonnia:

The Green Knight - of course

The Sorceress (that comes on foot and on horse - I like her on foot best,
but use her on the horse the most)

Orc & Goblins

The (older, metal) Savage Orc Boar Boyz, especially the feather-wearing
Shaman.

The old giant (who can hang a man from his belt)

Stupidest Bretonnian: the knights with the lady on their head - makes the
knights with the duck on their head look normal. ("You've got a lady on
your head" "It's better than having a duck on yer head" "At least duck
rhymes")

janet
--
The nuclear family is the building block of American society, and the
social, religious, educational and economic institutions of society are

John Hwang wrote:
> pbowles@aol.com wrote:
> > most are led by Hero-level characters.
>
> That's an argument for why RoRs in a non-DoW army should cost a Hero slot.
>
> >>Basic DoW units should have both basic Champions DoW armies
> >>should have a further option for sub-Hero Champions with
> >>limited Wargear access to the Armoury.
> >
> > This isn't 40k
>
> The basic idea holds. DoW Veterans would be OK with up to, say, 20 pts
> of wargear, and that would be somewhat distinctive without intruding too
> greatly on the RoR Captains.
>
> > - there's no generic wargear armoury selection and most
> > magic items are of limited use to relatively weak unit leader
> > characters (that's why the magic item allowances for various
> > armies' unit champions are no big deal).
>
> Which is why it's bizarre that the DoW Champions cannot take wargear.
> Out of all the armies, the DoW should have this kind of access to
> individualize and personalize each regiment.

I can see the logic - not every mercenary unit is going to be a
hard-bitten personalised RoR, the bulk of the army will be fairly basic
grunts - hired manpower supplied with weapons from their employer's
armoury. Maybe a scheme like Saurus with Sacred Spawnings - the unit
leader may take magic itesm but if doing so Core units become Special?

> > when I get to painting models in earnest I tend
> > to go through the pots fairly quickly.
>
> How is that possible? I don't recall you as being a particularly
> prolific painter.

The pots are small and the current paints don't need thinning, and on
the rare occasions when I do start painting I tend to paint a lot in
one go. As an example, a Devilfish, Ethereal, 4 Gun Drones and 24 Fire
Warriors used up over 2/3 of my latest pot of Dark Angels Green.

> > which are simply horribly expensive considering that my financial
> > situation isn't terribly secure at the moment - even sufficient
> > Vallejo ones will be pushing it at somewhere in the region
> > of AU$5 a pot, given how many I'll need just to get started
> > on one or two models.
>
> Vallejo in quantity is about $2.50 USD each, and they make a High Elf
> set of 6 for $16 USD that would seem to be perfect for you. $5 AUD is a
> bit on the high side, like full retail.

The site I checked had them at something like $4.45, which is basically
equivalent to the price of GW paints in the UK - though I imagine the
pots are somewhat larger. I'd rather have smaller, cheaper pots than
larger better-value ones, though, since I don't paint all that much and
don't plan on collecting a huge number of models out here.

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 2:25:41 AM

smithdoerr wrote:
>> A few of the 40k models from each army I like in no particular
>> order:
>>
>> Chaos Marines:
>> Space Marine Daemon Prince
>

>I've really cooled on him, and the range in general, but maybe when I
>get around to building him, I'll like him more then.

The crouching pose is wrong and the gun-arm seems oversized, but the
value of this model is in providing the componenrs for some great
conversions.

>I'm also very happy with the Wraithlord and Avatar models.

Don't like the WL and the Avatar's like the Daemon Prince or the
original Orion - the potential's there for a truly great model, but not
without substantial reposing and perhaps some conversion. The one GW
always always showcases is a brilliant model, but it's been reposed and
IIRC midly converted.

>> Imperial Guard:
>> Techpriest Enginseers -
>

>This is a good model.

Can't stand the backpack, but it's certainly a lot better than the SM
Techpriest.

>> Witch Hunters:
>> Limited edition Inquisitor Lorr
>

>I like the Witchhunter Crusaders - awesome!

Too static for my liking, and too generic knight in appearance -
they're good models, but lack character.

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 6:13:42 AM

In article <1120653032.772853.312990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
pbowles@aol.com, pbowles@aol.com Varfed out the following in Timo
speak...
<snippage>

> >TYRANIDS
> >Well, bear this in mind: I prefer a lot of the old 3rd ed models to their
> >new replacements. The gaunts/gants are nice basic models for a swarm-type
> >army: fairly easy to assemble, and so far they've been easy to paint up in
> >my ham-fisted fashion. The new Tyrant is pretty sweet, I'll admit, and I
> >think I may have to break down and buy one rather than going with a Warrior
> >HQ. The Warrior modles are still nice, although I think they only really
> >look right with Scything Talons and either a Barbed Strangler or Venom
> >Cannon.
>
> Not so sure about looking good only with the heavy weapons, since I
> like them with deathspitters, but agreed that you just can't use them
> with more useful rending claws simply because the models look wrong
> without talons.

The funny part is that apparently GW must agree in it's own way. In the
new Nids codex is an example warrior - the 'Huntsmen' - with rending
claws and a deathspitter. Of course the accompanying illustration shows
a warrior with *talons* and a deathspitter - go figure.

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

July 7, 2005 7:42:14 AM

pbowles@aol.com wrote:
> most are led by Hero-level characters.

That's an argument for why RoRs in a non-DoW army should cost a Hero slot.

>>Basic DoW units should have both basic Champions DoW armies
>>should have a further option for sub-Hero Champions with
>>limited Wargear access to the Armoury.
>
> This isn't 40k

The basic idea holds. DoW Veterans would be OK with up to, say, 20 pts
of wargear, and that would be somewhat distinctive without intruding too
greatly on the RoR Captains.

> - there's no generic wargear armoury selection and most
> magic items are of limited use to relatively weak unit leader
> characters (that's why the magic item allowances for various
> armies' unit champions are no big deal).

Which is why it's bizarre that the DoW Champions cannot take wargear.
Out of all the armies, the DoW should have this kind of access to
individualize and personalize each regiment.

>>FWIW, my pop-top Citadel Colour paints are still going strong.
>
> Really old ones or new ones? I presume the former

Yup. The paint is now 5-6 years old, and still good.

> when I get to painting models in earnest I tend
> to go through the pots fairly quickly.

How is that possible? I don't recall you as being a particularly
prolific painter.

Most of my paints aren't even halfway consumed, I probably only have a
couple pots (Boltgun Metal and Elf Grey) below the halfway points, now
that they've been rethinned. My Floquil Engine Black and Reefer Grey
have gotten a lot of use and are also below half, but I don't see either
as being in danger of running out.

> I don't know either the formulations or how the exact colours match
> what I expect them to look like - colour charts are all very well, but
> mail order has its disadvantages.

But why does that matter? The colors merely need to be close, and you
can get the rest via highlighting, shading, and washing.

>>You don't yet own a full range of paint?
>
> Not in Australia, and in any case those I have back in the UK
> are GW ones,

Ahh. OK.

> which are simply horribly expensive considering that my financial
> situation isn't terribly secure at the moment - even sufficient
> Vallejo ones will be pushing it at somewhere in the region
> of AU$5 a pot, given how many I'll need just to get started
> on one or two models.

Vallejo in quantity is about $2.50 USD each, and they make a High Elf
set of 6 for $16 USD that would seem to be perfect for you. $5 AUD is a
bit on the high side, like full retail.

>>Actually, I'm more disappointed the rest of the tree stuff doesn't match
>>up to the Dryads.
>
> Oh, absolutely, but more in model quality than theme

Both for me.

> remember the tree things will usually be fielded in an Elf army (and
> not a Dark Elf one), so they can't look *too* nasty.

Why not? Elves can be scary.

\-|-/