System problems with date set >27 July

Not sure if this is a MB problem or a Windows XP problem. The problem is
that when booting this system (on a 3-client LAN) on 28 July, all kinds of
problems were experienced--no Internet connection, couldn't talk to the
router, some programs would not work, and so on. I have conducted 2 days of
experimentation so far like replacing the boot drive, restoring recent drive
images, re-flashing the BIOS, re-installing LAN "card" drivers, and probably
a bunch of other troubleshooting procedures I have since fogotten.

The weird thing is that if I change the system date in Windows or in the
BIOS setup back to 27 July or earlier, the system works fine. When I change
the date back to a date greater than 27 July, the problems return.

I checked the system with the latest (28 July) NAV def files, and also with
AntiVir--nothing found. Checked for spyware using Pest Patrol and Ad-Aware.
PP found one item called Actual Spy--removed that. Ad-Aware found an item
called WEBHANCER which I removed. This had no effect on the problem.

As long as the date on this system is set at greater than 27 July, it cannot
access the Internet through the router/DSL modem, and the other problems
mentioned above are experienced. Funny thing is that this system can
communicate with the other clients on the LAN. I completely redid the
router-client setup from scratch and that did not correct the problem with
this system. The other clients are working perfectly with Internet
connection and no problems.

Appreciate any ideas, 'cause I'm about to replace the whole stinkin' system
and the router if I can't find the cause of this problem soon.:(

Thanks, Larry
================
Three client LAN
This particular system is:
ASUS P4B533-E MB (BIOS 1014e--latest non-beta BIOS)
2.4 GHz P4 CPU
1 GB memory
2 large HD's
On-board Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet
LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (using embedded DHCP)
1.5 mbps DSL

Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates
7 answers Last reply
More about system problems date july

    "Larry Roberts" <Lmroberts@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this is a MB problem or a Windows XP problem. The problem is
    > that when booting this system (on a 3-client LAN) on 28 July, all kinds of
    > problems were experienced--no Internet connection, couldn't talk to the
    > router, some programs would not work, and so on. I have conducted 2 days
    of
    > experimentation so far like replacing the boot drive, restoring recent
    drive
    > images, re-flashing the BIOS, re-installing LAN "card" drivers, and
    probably
    > a bunch of other troubleshooting procedures I have since fogotten.
    >
    > The weird thing is that if I change the system date in Windows or in the
    > BIOS setup back to 27 July or earlier, the system works fine. When I
    change
    > the date back to a date greater than 27 July, the problems return.
    >
    > I checked the system with the latest (28 July) NAV def files, and also
    with
    > AntiVir--nothing found. Checked for spyware using Pest Patrol and
    Ad-Aware.
    > PP found one item called Actual Spy--removed that. Ad-Aware found an item
    > called WEBHANCER which I removed. This had no effect on the problem.
    >
    > As long as the date on this system is set at greater than 27 July, it
    cannot
    > access the Internet through the router/DSL modem, and the other problems
    > mentioned above are experienced. Funny thing is that this system can
    > communicate with the other clients on the LAN. I completely redid the
    > router-client setup from scratch and that did not correct the problem with
    > this system. The other clients are working perfectly with Internet
    > connection and no problems.
    >
    > Appreciate any ideas, 'cause I'm about to replace the whole stinkin'
    system
    > and the router if I can't find the cause of this problem soon.:(
    >
    > Thanks, Larry
    > ================
    > Three client LAN
    > This particular system is:
    > ASUS P4B533-E MB (BIOS 1014e--latest non-beta BIOS)
    > 2.4 GHz P4 CPU
    > 1 GB memory
    > 2 large HD's
    > On-board Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet
    > LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (using embedded DHCP)
    > 1.5 mbps DSL
    >
    > Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates

    Have you tried running all that scanning in "safe mode"? -- there
    are a number of "thingies" that can mask themselves but show
    up in safe mode. It certainly has the smell of some sort of
    malware - especially since no one else seems to be reporting
    it. On the other hand, maybe the "Thursday bit" is set -- I have
    seen that also -- no good explanation for whatever it is.
    Make sure you run your scans in safe mode. You might also
    try a different scanner like Trendmicro or others.

    mikey

    Worms, trojans and virus's can sit quietly on your computer and trigger on a
    designated date, or on the same day each month.

    Install a good firewall - one that blocks unwanted outbound traffic as well
    as unwanted inbound traffic. Then when something tries to connect, out of
    the ordinary, you will be flagged. At that point you can disallow that
    particular instance either once or permanently. A good FREE firewall is
    available here:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?lid=dbtopnav_za

    Then check you system for infestations of viruses, spyware, dialers, key
    loggers etc.

    Download, install, update and run the following from *safe* mode:

    If you don't have any antivirus installed, AVG Antivirus (free) from
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

    Ad-Aware (free) from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

    SpyBot Search and Destroy (free) from

    Microsoft Anti Spyware (free) from

    Don't ever go clicking things just because a web site, e-mail, popup or
    rogue desktop tells you to! If you are not 101% certain what an action will
    do - don't perform that action. Control your clicking finger!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

> [...]
    > > Three client LAN
    > > This particular system is:
    > > ASUS P4B533-E MB (BIOS 1014e--latest non-beta BIOS)
    > > 2.4 GHz P4 CPU
    > > 1 GB memory
    > > 2 large HD's
    > > On-board Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet
    > > LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (using embedded DHCP)
    > > 1.5 mbps DSL
    > >
    > > Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates
    >

    > Have you tried running all that scanning in "safe mode"? -- there
    > are a number of "thingies" that can mask themselves but show
    > up in safe mode. It certainly has the smell of some sort of
    > malware - especially since no one else seems to be reporting
    > it. On the other hand, maybe the "Thursday bit" is set -- I have
    > seen that also -- no good explanation for whatever it is.
    > Make sure you run your scans in safe mode. You might also
    > try a different scanner like Trendmicro or others.

    Thanks for the ideas Mikey. I will run some scans in Safe mode. I would
    agree that it looks like the work of some sort of bad guy, but I have been
    unable to discover what. As I mentioned, I run NAV with updates installed
    automatically, and also run a couple of anti-spyware programs in real time,
    and periodically so it would be strange if something got by those. In
    addition, I ran an on-line TrendMicro check and nothing was found. But I'll
    give safe mode a try.

    Can you explain what you mean by the "Thursday bit" may be set? I suspect
    that could be related to the problem. I did a Drive Image Thursday (27 Jul)
    about 7:00 PM and I guess that could have messed up a date bit. Reason I
    think that may be involved is that I can change the system date/time to 27
    Jul/12:00 and the system works fine. If I change it to 27 Jul/ 20:00, the
    problems return. If you can elaborate on how I can check for the "bit"
    problem, that would be very helpful.

    Larry

    Thanks for the suggestions Richard. I am running NAV which is updated
    automatically. I run Zonealarm Pro, SpywareBlaster and PestPatrol in
    real-time. I run Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware manually periodically. In addition
    to NAV, I ran a check with AntiVir and did an on-line scan at TrendMicro.
    Nothing has been found.

    As Mikey suggested, the problem may have to do with a mis-set date bit
    somewhere. If you read my reply to him you will see why I say that. If you
    have any ideas relating the date bit possibility I would greatly appreciate
    it.

    Larry

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > communicate with the other clients on the LAN. I completely redid the
    > > router-client setup from scratch and that did not correct the problem
    with
    > > this system. The other clients are working perfectly with Internet
    > > connection and no problems.
    > >
    > > Appreciate any ideas, 'cause I'm about to replace the whole stinkin'
    > > system
    > > and the router if I can't find the cause of this problem soon.:(
    > >
    > > Thanks, Larry
    > > ================
    > > Three client LAN
    > > This particular system is:
    > > ASUS P4B533-E MB (BIOS 1014e--latest non-beta BIOS)
    > > 2.4 GHz P4 CPU
    > > 1 GB memory
    > > 2 large HD's
    > > On-board Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet
    > > LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (using embedded DHCP)

    For those following this thread, this is what was causing this problem.
    Unfriggin' believable!! Three wasted days to diagnose this problem. It will
    be a cold day in Hell before I install any APC or Sun software again.

    Java Runtime Environment expiration
    Problem Summary

    In order for PowerChute Business Edition to remain functional, users must
    upgrade to any version of 7.x. Due to expiration of the Sun Java Runtime
    Environment certificate, versions 6.x of PowerChute Business Edition will
    cease to operate normally as of July 27, 2005. Failure to upgrade will
    result in PowerChute Business Edition no longer providing monitoring and
    graceful shutdown of your system.

    Impact

    Customers running PowerChute Business Edition 6.x after July 27, 2005 will
    have the following experience: When a power event occurs, such as a power
    failure, PowerChute Business Edition will perform a graceful shutdown. When
    power is restored, the UPS will reboot and the Operating System will be
    restored. At this juncture, the PowerChute Business Edition service will no
    longer provide monitoring and graceful shutdown of your system. Users must
    upgrade to PowerChute Business Edition 7.x.

    ======================
    "Larry Roberts" <Lmroberts@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this is a MB problem or a Windows XP problem. The problem is
    > that when booting this system (on a 3-client LAN) on 28 July, all kinds of
    > problems were experienced--no Internet connection, couldn't talk to the
    > router, some programs would not work, and so on. I have conducted 2 days
    of
    > experimentation so far like replacing the boot drive, restoring recent
    drive
    > images, re-flashing the BIOS, re-installing LAN "card" drivers, and
    probably
    > a bunch of other troubleshooting procedures I have since fogotten.
    >
    > The weird thing is that if I change the system date in Windows or in the
    > BIOS setup back to 27 July or earlier, the system works fine. When I
    change
    > the date back to a date greater than 27 July, the problems return.
    >
    > I checked the system with the latest (28 July) NAV def files, and also
    with
    > AntiVir--nothing found. Checked for spyware using Pest Patrol and
    Ad-Aware.
    > PP found one item called Actual Spy--removed that. Ad-Aware found an item
    > called WEBHANCER which I removed. This had no effect on the problem.
    >
    > As long as the date on this system is set at greater than 27 July, it
    cannot
    > access the Internet through the router/DSL modem, and the other problems
    > mentioned above are experienced. Funny thing is that this system can
    > communicate with the other clients on the LAN. I completely redid the
    > router-client setup from scratch and that did not correct the problem with
    > this system. The other clients are working perfectly with Internet
    > connection and no problems.
    >
    > Appreciate any ideas, 'cause I'm about to replace the whole stinkin'
    system
    > and the router if I can't find the cause of this problem soon.:(
    >
    > Thanks, Larry
    > ================
    > Three client LAN
    > This particular system is:
    > ASUS P4B533-E MB (BIOS 1014e--latest non-beta BIOS)
    > 2.4 GHz P4 CPU
    > 1 GB memory
    > 2 large HD's
    > On-board Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet
    > LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (using embedded DHCP)
    > 1.5 mbps DSL
    >
    > Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates

    You would think that they (APC) would send e-mail's to all registered users,
    wouldn't you?

    --

> [...]
    >> communicate with the other clients on the LAN. I completely redid the
    >> router-client setup from scratch and that did not correct the problem
    >> with
    >> this system. The other clients are working perfectly with Internet
    >> connection and no problems.
    >>
    >> Appreciate any ideas, 'cause I'm about to replace the whole stinkin'
    > system
    >> and the router if I can't find the cause of this problem soon.:(
    >>
    >> Thanks, Larry
    >> ================
    >> Three client LAN
    >> This particular system is:
    >> ASUS P4B533-E MB (BIOS 1014e--latest non-beta BIOS)
    >> 2.4 GHz P4 CPU
    >> 1 GB memory
    >> 2 large HD's
    >> On-board Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet
    >> LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (using embedded DHCP)

    They did for me!

    And it is not "truly" APC's fault, since they rely on Sun's Java run-time
    modules.

> [...]
    >> cannot
    >>> access the Internet through the router/DSL modem, and the other problems
    >>> mentioned above are experienced. Funny thing is that this system can
    >>> communicate with the other clients on the LAN. I completely redid the
    >>> router-client setup from scratch and that did not correct the problem
    >>> with
    >>> this system. The other clients are working perfectly with Internet
    >>> connection and no problems.
    >>>
    >>> Appreciate any ideas, 'cause I'm about to replace the whole stinkin'
    >> system
    >>> and the router if I can't find the cause of this problem soon.:(
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Larry
    >>> ================
    >>> Three client LAN
    >>> This particular system is:
    >>> ASUS P4B533-E MB (BIOS 1014e--latest non-beta BIOS)
    >>> 1 GB memory
    >>> 2 large HD's
    >>> On-board Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet
    >>> LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (using embedded DHCP)
    >>> 1.5 mbps DSL
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates

Windows XP