Sites

In article <vxBxe.105476$75.4711270@news4.tin.it>, <<< Rian Scotti >>>,
rianscotti@virgilio.it Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Do you now some urls of online shop that sell OOP miniatures???
>
> TXS

Try http://www.bartertown.org

They have lots of folks who are often selling OOP minis. Post a 'want
ad' if there's something in particular that you're looking for.

Hope that helps,

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

Don't get conned.........

There are massive numbers of Citadel castings out there. Even the late 70's
stuff turns up with a little ingenuity at the right price.

I'll not tell you how but sit down with a cuppa and give it some thought and
you'll find a few places that you can find so called rare and classic
figures for pennies.

Snarf' wrote:
> Thank you for that most useful and topical missive. Have a nice
> day...........

Well, at least you managed not to top post that time, so I suppose we're
making some degree of progress (however infinitesimal). Keep up the good
work. In a spirit of continued goodwill, I will refrain from pointing out
that an ellipsis is only 3 dots rather than the 10 to 20 you seem to prefer.

In any event, people would probably still appreciate the vintage miniature
buying technique you obliquely mentioned in your earlier post. Or did you
just mean he should check eBay? Seriously, if you've got a good method for
finding the older stuff I'm sure that the original poster and other people
on the group would like to know it. I'm not really looking for any of the
older minis, but I know a lot of people here are.

--
Ken Coble

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
-Trevor Goodchild, _Aeon Flux_

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Snarf' wrote:
>> Thank you for that most useful and topical missive. Have a nice
>> day...........
>
> Well, at least you managed not to top post that time, so I suppose we're
> making some degree of progress (however infinitesimal). Keep up the good
> work. In a spirit of continued goodwill, I will refrain from pointing out
> that an ellipsis is only 3 dots rather than the 10 to 20 you seem to
> prefer.
>
> In any event, people would probably still appreciate the vintage miniature
> buying technique you obliquely mentioned in your earlier post. Or did you
> just mean he should check eBay? Seriously, if you've got a good method
> for finding the older stuff I'm sure that the original poster and other
> people on the group would like to know it. I'm not really looking for any
> of the older minis, but I know a lot of people here are.
>
> --
> Ken Coble
>
> That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
> -Trevor Goodchild, _Aeon Flux_

In the U.K the Nottinghamshire area and the areas where the original 6 GW
stores wete opened still yield the majority of older models... I know of at
least one guy who has an old outhouse FILLED and I mean that , full of pre
slotta lead... I have been buying from it for 9 years and it's still got
loads more to yield.

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Snarf' wrote:
>> Thank you for that most useful and topical missive. Have a nice
>> day...........
>
> Well, at least you managed not to top post that time, so I suppose we're
> making some degree of progress (however infinitesimal). Keep up the good
> work. In a spirit of continued goodwill, I will refrain from pointing out
> that an ellipsis is only 3 dots rather than the 10 to 20 you seem to
> prefer.
>
> In any event, people would probably still appreciate the vintage miniature
> buying technique you obliquely mentioned in your earlier post. Or did you
> just mean he should check eBay? Seriously, if you've got a good method
> for finding the older stuff I'm sure that the original poster and other
> people on the group would like to know it. I'm not really looking for any
> of the older minis, but I know a lot of people here are.
>
> --
> Ken Coble
>
> That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
> -Trevor Goodchild, _Aeon Flux_

Okay...

I have picked up and continue to pick up miniatures for pennies...

I don't offer a price, I don't refer to them as classic, rare etc...because
they are not in fact that rare. They are as rare as the seller and buyer
agree.........

I advise putting a conventional advert in the wargaming press...that's right
folks in a magazine.

It costs a couple of quid and you would be amazed at how many old school
wargamers have a stock of fantasy figures that they purchased as a dalliance
in the 70's and 80's. Frankly if you ask them for specifics you'd find they
would not be able to name many of them because at the time it did not
matter, so sometimes it's a bit of an effort to I.d stuff, but quite often
you'll get a big box of 1-200 figures for £50. Quite often a lot less.

Then you strip and sell on the stuff you don't want via sites such as Ebay
and in the end have the stuff you want for free.

For example I picked up the ORIGINAL Citadel Giant, Citadel Imperial Dragon
(from cover of original A5 catalogue), Asgard Dragon, Asgard Giant, Ral
Partha Imp Dragon and 2500 other figures for £800.00.

The seller named the price and I was amazingly satisfied when I kept all
the big stuff and still turned £850.00 on the rest.

Snarf' wrote:
> Okay...
>
> I have picked up and continue to pick up miniatures for pennies...
>
> I don't offer a price, I don't refer to them as classic, rare
> etc...because they are not in fact that rare. They are as rare as the
> seller and buyer agree.........
>
> I advise putting a conventional advert in the wargaming
> press...that's right folks in a magazine.
>
> It costs a couple of quid and you would be amazed at how many old
> school wargamers have a stock of fantasy figures that they purchased
> as a dalliance in the 70's and 80's. Frankly if you ask them for
> specifics you'd find they would not be able to name many of them
> because at the time it did not matter, so sometimes it's a bit of an
> effort to I.d stuff, but quite often you'll get a big box of 1-200
> figures for £50. Quite often a lot less.
> Then you strip and sell on the stuff you don't want via sites such as
> Ebay and in the end have the stuff you want for free.
>
> For example I picked up the ORIGINAL Citadel Giant, Citadel Imperial
> Dragon (from cover of original A5 catalogue), Asgard Dragon, Asgard
> Giant, Ral Partha Imp Dragon and 2500 other figures for £800.00.
>
> The seller named the price and I was amazingly satisfied when I kept
> all the big stuff and still turned £850.00 on the rest.

Cool. That's a pretty useful technique, and I appreciate the pointer. I do
something similar to the "bulk buy, pick the best and resell the rest" thing
with old sci-fi paperback books, and while I don't tend to make any
appreciable amount of money on them, I usually wind up getting the books I
really wanted for free, with the resold stuff paying for the initial
purchase. But I wouldn't have thought about applying this technique to
minis, and I wouldn't have thought about the advertising part either. This
is a good tip.

Thanks, man.
--

> Snarf' wrote:
>> Okay...
>>
>> I have picked up and continue to pick up miniatures for pennies...
>>
>> I don't offer a price, I don't refer to them as classic, rare
>> etc...because they are not in fact that rare. They are as rare as the
>> seller and buyer agree.........
>>
>> I advise putting a conventional advert in the wargaming
>> press...that's right folks in a magazine.
>>
>> It costs a couple of quid and you would be amazed at how many old
>> school wargamers have a stock of fantasy figures that they purchased
>> as a dalliance in the 70's and 80's. Frankly if you ask them for
>> specifics you'd find they would not be able to name many of them
>> because at the time it did not matter, so sometimes it's a bit of an
>> effort to I.d stuff, but quite often you'll get a big box of 1-200
>> figures for £50. Quite often a lot less.
>> Then you strip and sell on the stuff you don't want via sites such as
>> Ebay and in the end have the stuff you want for free.
>>
>> For example I picked up the ORIGINAL Citadel Giant, Citadel Imperial
>> Dragon (from cover of original A5 catalogue), Asgard Dragon, Asgard
>> Giant, Ral Partha Imp Dragon and 2500 other figures for £800.00.
>>
>> The seller named the price and I was amazingly satisfied when I kept
>> all the big stuff and still turned £850.00 on the rest.
>
> Cool. That's a pretty useful technique, and I appreciate the pointer. I
> do something similar to the "bulk buy, pick the best and resell the rest"
> thing with old sci-fi paperback books, and while I don't tend to make any
> appreciable amount of money on them, I usually wind up getting the books I
> really wanted for free, with the resold stuff paying for the initial
> purchase. But I wouldn't have thought about applying this technique to
> minis, and I wouldn't have thought about the advertising part either.
> This is a good tip.
>
> Thanks, man.
> --
> Ken Coble
>
> That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
> -Trevor Goodchild, _Aeon Flux_

No problem..

You coald also stick an advert in the local 'Free Ad's' papers and visit
'Toy Fairs' where you pick up stuff for pennies because they have done a
house clearance for the dolls and G.I Joes but don't know the first thing
about gaming...