[40k] Which FW Wave Serpent kits to purchase?

It will be a way down the road, but I've decided that the "official" Wave
Serpent is horrible enough that I am willing to buy _no more than two_ of
the Forge World conversion kits; one for the Falcon that came with my Eldar
box and a second one for when I grab another Falcon on sale; by doing this I
should only be paying $5-$10US more for my complete Wave Serpents and I
won't be tempted to smash them with big mallets for being aesthetic
abominations.

But I'd like some help selecting _which_ conversion sets to get, since these
will be A) some of the most expensive things I ever plan on buying for this
hobby and B) probably the only two of these kits I'll ever purchase. I'm
currently leaning towards a twin starcannon for Marine hunting (and I figure
I'd put Banshees or Scorps in this one) and either twin EMLs or brightlances
for heavy-armor killing (perhaps with a squad of Fire Dragons onboard). The
brightlances look like they'd do a better job of armor-killing, but the EMLs
give me more flexibility. I also think the EML turret looks a tiny bit
better, but not enough for that to be the deciding factor unless it's a
complete tie between these two options.

I'm still going to make up my own Craftworld fluff (Iybreasil), but based on
the models I've been acquiring piecemeal I think I'll field them using
Swordwind rules and play them as a fast, mechanized "blitzkrieg" force. If
it helps the analysis, right now the only Hvy choices I have are two
Wraithlords. I have 10-strong units of Banshees, Scorps, Dragons, and
Spiders, as well as 2 units of Guardians and a weapons platform for each. I
also have 6 jetbikes (I may convert these into a 5-man Shining Spear unit
and a Farseer on jetbike) and a single Vyper. My only "Swordwind style" FA
is a Hawk unit, which I why I'm considering converting those jetbikers into
Spears (despite their high point cost and questionable utility).

I haven't really decided how to arm the Wraithlords or Guardian weapons
platforms yet, but I have several optional weapons to pick from there;
whereas I don't really want to buy a ton of extra Wave Serpent turrets at £9
a pop. I do think that down the road I will buy one more tank, either a
Falcon or Fire Prism, and possibly 2 more Vypers to fill out that squadron.

I know this might be a bit of an open-ended question, for which I apologize.
If there's any other info that would help you guys help me decide, let me
know and I'll be glad to provide it. Thanks in advance.

--
Ken Coble

"Got tight last night on absinthe. Did knife tricks." -Hemingway

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> It will be a way down the road, but I've decided that the "official" Wave
> Serpent is horrible enough that I am willing to buy _no more than two_ of
> the Forge World conversion kits; one for the Falcon that came with my
> Eldar box and a second one for when I grab another Falcon on sale; by
> doing this I should only be paying $5-$10US more for my complete Wave
> Serpents and I won't be tempted to smash them with big mallets for being
> aesthetic abominations.
>
> But I'd like some help selecting _which_ conversion sets to get, since
> these will be A) some of the most expensive things I ever plan on buying
> for this hobby and B) probably the only two of these kits I'll ever
> purchase. I'm currently leaning towards a twin starcannon for Marine
> hunting (and I figure I'd put Banshees or Scorps in this one) and either
> twin EMLs or brightlances for heavy-armor killing (perhaps with a squad of
> Fire Dragons onboard). The brightlances look like they'd do a better job
> of armor-killing, but the EMLs give me more flexibility. I also think the
> EML turret looks a tiny bit better, but not enough for that to be the
> deciding factor unless it's a complete tie between these two options.

Go for the brightlances, the EML is too expensive points-wise for it's
ability. Personally, I'd probably go for all Starcannon on both, but I like
starcannon and play against a lot of drop-pod Marines.

>> It will be a way down the road, but I've decided that the "official" Wave
>> Serpent is horrible enough that I am willing to buy _no more than two_ of
>> the Forge World conversion kits; one for the Falcon that came with my
>> Eldar box and a second one for when I grab another Falcon on sale; by
>> doing this I should only be paying $5-$10US more for my complete Wave
>> Serpents and I won't be tempted to smash them with big mallets for being
>> aesthetic abominations.
>
>> But I'd like some help selecting _which_ conversion sets to get, since
>> these will be A) some of the most expensive things I ever plan on buying
>> for this hobby and B) probably the only two of these kits I'll ever
>> purchase. I'm currently leaning towards a twin starcannon for Marine
>> hunting (and I figure I'd put Banshees or Scorps in this one) and either
>> twin EMLs or brightlances for heavy-armor killing (perhaps with a squad of
>> Fire Dragons onboard). The brightlances look like they'd do a better job
>> of armor-killing, but the EMLs give me more flexibility. I also think the
>> EML turret looks a tiny bit better, but not enough for that to be the
>> deciding factor unless it's a complete tie between these two options.
>

>Go for the brightlances, the EML is too expensive points-wise for it's
>ability.

Odd, I tend to say exactly the reverse - the bright lance simply isn't
worth its cost for a weapon with such restricted utility; not only does
it have the weaknesses of tank-hunting one-shot weapons like the
lascannon, it isn't even all that good at tank-hunting, being no better
than the longer-ranged EML against anything but Predators, Hammerheads,
Leman Russ or Land Raiders. You'll also get more utility out of
twin-linking a blast weapon than a single-shot one (though not much
with the weakened blast weapon rules). I might even be heretical and
suggest that shuriken cannon and scatter lasers aren't useless on such
a fast vehicle, and their multiple shots do benefit most from the
rerolls, but unless you're stretched for points they also don't do
anything starcannon can't.

Philip Bowles

I haven't played a lot of eldar armies with the new rules, I have to admit.
And since I only own a wave serpent for a very short time have not fielded
one of them until now.

But generally I can say, that star cannons are perfect against any kind of
infantry and light vehicles. They give a good amount of shots with a nice
strength and DS2, probably the most flexible heavy gun of the eldar, the
most flexible anti-infantry for sure.

If you want to build a serp for tank hunting only, the bright lances are
number one, I guess. However if you want it to carry a group of fire
dragons, they can take the job of tank hunting, but will be needing some
support to protect them from infantry. So I've heard of many eldar players,
fielding their dragons in an anti-infantry equipped serpent. The tank
moving forward would clear the field from dangerous infantry, the exiting
dragons then take on the enemy tanks.

For the infantry platforms, I'm not to fond of bright lances with them. My
guardians have a terrible tendency to miss with them. So I'm usually using
weapons that give me several shots, mostly star cannons or pulse lasers,
and leave the tank hunting to other units (storm guardians for example).

Wraithlords. He has a BS of 4, meaning he can carry a bright lance and
actually hit something. This version makes him a deadly tank hunter. Rocket
launcher or star cannon allow him a certain flexibility while a shuriken
cannon, as always, has the advantage of being low cost, yet still pretty
effective against infantry.

I will stop here now since I'm nearly falling asleep in my chair. Read ya
later.

--
This is Lukkai

pbowles@aol.com wrote:
> Odd, I tend to say exactly the reverse - the bright lance simply isn't
> worth its cost for a weapon with such restricted utility; not only
> does it have the weaknesses of tank-hunting one-shot weapons like the
> lascannon, it isn't even all that good at tank-hunting, being no
> better than the longer-ranged EML against anything but Predators,
> Hammerheads, Leman Russ or Land Raiders.

I'm curious; what's the best Eldar response for heavy armor units? I know
most of the stuff on that list has thinner side or rear armor (which does
look like an argument for just going with another twin-linked starcannon
like Craig mentioned), but the LRs are AV14 all the way around. While the
others vehicles probably call for swift maneuvering to be able to hit the
sides (or rear if I get super-lucky), what's the smart play for an Eldar
faced with the heavy iron?

Right now all I can think of are Fire Dragons, putting brightlances on the
BS4 Wraithlords (like Lukkai mentioned), or looking for a Fire Prism on
sale. I am actually doing that last thing even as we speak; I figure I can
build the FP turret and build the Falcon turrets that I won't be using on my
Wave Serpents and swap them out as the game warrants.

> You'll also get more utility
> out of twin-linking a blast weapon than a single-shot one (though not
> much with the weakened blast weapon rules). I might even be heretical
> and suggest that shuriken cannon and scatter lasers aren't useless on
> such a fast vehicle, and their multiple shots do benefit most from the
> rerolls, but unless you're stretched for points they also don't do
> anything starcannon can't.

Yeah... I'm thinking that if I don't go with either the Brightlance or the
EML I'll just get 2 starcannon turrets. I figure in any game where I'll be
using 2 Wave Serpents I can come up with 15 spare points someplace. I've
read that a lot of players feel too many starcannon = cheese, but if I go
this route I probably won't be fielding starcannon on too many other units
in the list anyway. Ok, maybe the 3 Vypers...

--
Ken Coble

Friend, tell the Spartans that on this hill we lie obedient to them still.
-Epitaph for the Spartan dead at the Battle of Thermopylae, by
Simonides (trans. Michael Dodson)

Kenneth Coble wrote:
<snip>
> Right now all I can think of are Fire Dragons, putting brightlances
> on the BS4 Wraithlords (like Lukkai mentioned), or looking for a Fire
> Prism on sale. I am actually doing that last thing even as we speak;
> I figure I can build the FP turret and build the Falcon turrets that
> I won't be using on my Wave Serpents and swap them out as the game
> warrants.

By the way, I realize I didn't write that well: I mean I'll be swapping the
Falcon turrets onto the Fire Prism, not the Wave Serpents. I know it has a
different probe thingy on the undercarriage, but if that's not something I
can make swappable I don't think it's so obtrusive that people will
complain. At the very least, it'll be a lot less obtrusive than using them
on the WS modified hulls.

--

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Go for the brightlances, the EML is too expensive points-wise for it's
> >ability.

Actually I'd favor the EML, for flexibility. Remember, the EML blast is plasma,
not frag, and an AP4 blast is quite handy at mopping up any troops that aren't
in power armor.

> Odd, I tend to say exactly the reverse - the bright lance simply isn't
> worth its cost for a weapon with such restricted utility; not only does
> it have the weaknesses of tank-hunting one-shot weapons like the
> lascannon, it isn't even all that good at tank-hunting, being no better
> than the longer-ranged EML against anything but Predators, Hammerheads,
> Leman Russ or Land Raiders.

There's also the Necron Monolith. Thanks to the living metal rule, the Monolith
is another argument for the EML.

> You'll also get more utility out of
> twin-linking a blast weapon than a single-shot one (though not much
> with the weakened blast weapon rules). I might even be heretical and
> suggest that shuriken cannon and scatter lasers aren't useless on such
> a fast vehicle, and their multiple shots do benefit most from the
> rerolls, but unless you're stretched for points they also don't do
> anything starcannon can't.

Under the new rules, don't forget the shuricannon upgrade. The default TL
shuricat won't do much good, but if you've got the points, a wave serpent can
move 12", fire off its TL main weapon and still add three S6 shuricannon shots
as well... That's useful against anything except the heaviest tanks.
--
- Ward.
wardcb at earthlink dot net

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn
by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out
for themselves." - Will Rogers

Kenneth Coble wrote:
> pbow...@aol.com wrote:
>> Odd, I tend to say exactly the reverse - the bright lance simply isn't
>> worth its cost for a weapon with such restricted utility; not only
>> does it have the weaknesses of tank-hunting one-shot weapons like the
>> lascannon, it isn't even all that good at tank-hunting, being no
>> better than the longer-ranged EML against anything but Predators,
>> Hammerheads, Leman Russ or Land Raiders.

> I'm curious; what's the best Eldar response for heavy armor units? I know
> most of the stuff on that list has thinner side or rear armor (which does
> look like an argument for just going with another twin-linked starcannon
> like Craig mentioned), but the LRs are AV14 all the way around. While the
> others vehicles probably call for swift maneuvering to be able to hit the
> sides (or rear if I get super-lucky), what's the smart play for an Eldar
> faced with the heavy iron?

> Right now all I can think of are Fire Dragons, putting brightlances on the
> BS4 Wraithlords (like Lukkai mentioned), or looking for a Fire Prism on
> sale. I am actually doing that last thing even as we speak; I figure I
> can build the FP turret and build the Falcon turrets that I won't be using
> on my Wave Serpents and swap them out as the game warrants.

>An old one is of course the khaindar exarch with rocket launcher. With a BS
>of 5 and a skill that allows him two shots per round, he has a good chance
>to score a hit.

Fire Dragon Exarch with firepike isn't to be underestimated either, and
it just so happens he and his squaddies fit in a Wave Serpent to get
them into range. The crucial point about all of these choices is that
they're versatile - they're as good against other armoured targets as
they are against Land Raiders, while the bright lance is *only* really
of use against Land Raiders.

>Then there's the warp cannon. Drawback here as with many to most eldar
>weapons: Short range.

With the 'units no longer block line of sight' rule there's also the
V-Cannon, though that's more vulnerable than ever to counter-attacks
since it requires line of sight itself. D-Cannon are underrated, though
- true they can't move and fire in the same turn, but if they're going
to be out of range anyway you may as well move them, so if anything
they have a practical mobility advantage over, say, Dark Reapers, who
sacrifice shots by moving if they're within 48".

>Lastly I want to mention the Wraithguard. However they also have that one
>problem: the range.

Cost doesn't help either.

There's just one you forgot: pulse laser. The Falcon's back to being a
good tank with its ability to fire secondary weapons on the move (and
the fact that it treats immobilised as immobilised if moving slowly),
and I'd rather have the range and chance of extra shots over a mere +1
to the AP roll - one thing about the bright lance is that, while it's
better per shot than an EML or pulse laser against Land Raiders, it's
still not very good against them, glancing on a 5 and penetrating on a
6. Given the odds, the more shots you have at it the better - it simply
isn't worth investing in a specifically anti-LR weapon that only
bothers it a third of the time it's fired and only has one shot a turn.
Firepike, D-Cannon, vibro-cannon and pulse laser are the best options
(unless you can get close enough to stick haywire grenades to the
thing). Personally, I'd just tend to ignore the fact that Land Raiders
exist and take generally useful weapons rather than take something just
to deal with the possibility that someone will take a well-armoured but
overcosted Marine tank, not least because the standard LR isn't even
much of a threat - 250pts for a couple of lascannon and a heavy bolter?
Come on, even with rerolls that's pretty pitiful.

Philip Bowles

Kenneth Coble wrote:

> pbowles@aol.com wrote:
>> Odd, I tend to say exactly the reverse - the bright lance simply isn't
>> worth its cost for a weapon with such restricted utility; not only
>> does it have the weaknesses of tank-hunting one-shot weapons like the
>> lascannon, it isn't even all that good at tank-hunting, being no
>> better than the longer-ranged EML against anything but Predators,
>> Hammerheads, Leman Russ or Land Raiders.
>
> I'm curious; what's the best Eldar response for heavy armor units? I know
> most of the stuff on that list has thinner side or rear armor (which does
> look like an argument for just going with another twin-linked starcannon
> like Craig mentioned), but the LRs are AV14 all the way around. While the
> others vehicles probably call for swift maneuvering to be able to hit the
> sides (or rear if I get super-lucky), what's the smart play for an Eldar
> faced with the heavy iron?
>
> Right now all I can think of are Fire Dragons, putting brightlances on the
> BS4 Wraithlords (like Lukkai mentioned), or looking for a Fire Prism on
> sale. I am actually doing that last thing even as we speak; I figure I
> can build the FP turret and build the Falcon turrets that I won't be using
> on my Wave Serpents and swap them out as the game warrants.

Storm Guardians with pulse mines are a way to kill tanks. I've experienced
that they are often ignored on the battlefield, as long as they aren't
blocking the way. However an opponent will only fall for that one once.
OTOH my opponents now are very careful with storm guardians. Since they
never know, whether or not I equipped them with mines, they usually pull
their tanks back and/or concentrate senseless amounts of firepower on them
when they come near their lines. That gives my other, more important
troops, some more time.

Warlocks are a way to deal with tanks too. A Hagun Zar triples it's
carriers' strength against a vehicle, same for the runespear which even can
be thrown. Works pretty good against vehicles if you can get close enough.

War Walkers can also take the role of tank hunters (although I prefer
anti-infantry equippment on them. But then my usual opponents don't field
that many heavy tanks). Also: Many players tend to ignore them as long as
there is a Wraithlord on the field an instead attack the latter with all
force. A fatal mistake.

pbowles@aol.com wrote:

>>Lastly I want to mention the Wraithguard. However they also have that one
>>problem: the range.
>
> Cost doesn't help either.

True that. But they have been of great help to me in smaller battles,
usually accompanied by a warlock with the khaine's xxx force (forgot the
English name, sorry. The one that gives a +1 on WS and I). However they are
lost on open ground.

> There's just one you forgot: pulse laser. The Falcon's back to being a
> good tank with its ability to fire secondary weapons on the move (and
> the fact that it treats immobilised as immobilised if moving slowly),
> and I'd rather have the range and chance of extra shots over a mere +1
> to the AP roll - one thing about the bright lance is that, while it's
> better per shot than an EML or pulse laser against Land Raiders, it's
> still not very good against them, glancing on a 5 and penetrating on a
> 6. Given the odds, the more shots you have at it the better - it simply
> isn't worth investing in a specifically anti-LR weapon that only
> bothers it a third of the time it's fired and only has one shot a turn.
> Firepike, D-Cannon, vibro-cannon and pulse laser are the best options
> (unless you can get close enough to stick haywire grenades to the
> thing). Personally, I'd just tend to ignore the fact that Land Raiders
> exist and take generally useful weapons rather than take something just
> to deal with the possibility that someone will take a well-armoured but
> overcosted Marine tank, not least because the standard LR isn't even
> much of a threat - 250pts for a couple of lascannon and a heavy bolter?
> Come on, even with rerolls that's pretty pitiful.

True that as well. The pulse laser is the perfect weapon to kill light and
medium vehicles. I often use one on a vyper to hunt down enemy artillery or
get a rear shot at Predators or Leman Russ's.
And it's true that Land Raiders are often greatly overestimated. Sure they
are very hard to kill. But they're not invincible. And they're not like a
well placed Demolisher, who can kill up to an entire unit with one shot if
he gets a clear shot.

By the way: Land Raiders don't like skorpions with pulse mines. Neither do
they like warlocks with runespears. Talking from experience here. :)

--
This is Lukkai

Lukas "Lukkai" Buergi wrote:
> pbowles@aol.com wrote:

<snip>
>> There's just one you forgot: pulse laser. The Falcon's back to being
>> a good tank with its ability to fire secondary weapons on the move
>> (and the fact that it treats immobilised as immobilised if moving
>> slowly), and I'd rather have the range and chance of extra shots
>> over a mere +1 to the AP roll - one thing about the bright lance is
>> that, while it's better per shot than an EML or pulse laser against
>> Land Raiders, it's still not very good against them, glancing on a 5
>> and penetrating on a
>> 6. Given the odds, the more shots you have at it the better - it
>> simply isn't worth investing in a specifically anti-LR weapon that
>> only bothers it a third of the time it's fired and only has one shot
>> a turn. Firepike, D-Cannon, vibro-cannon and pulse laser are the
>> best options (unless you can get close enough to stick haywire
>> grenades to the thing). Personally, I'd just tend to ignore the fact
>> that Land Raiders exist and take generally useful weapons rather
>> than take something just to deal with the possibility that someone
>> will take a well-armoured but overcosted Marine tank, not least
>> because the standard LR isn't even much of a threat - 250pts for a
>> couple of lascannon and a heavy bolter? Come on, even with rerolls
>> that's pretty pitiful.
>
> True that as well. The pulse laser is the perfect weapon to kill
> light and medium vehicles. I often use one on a vyper to hunt down
> enemy artillery or get a rear shot at Predators or Leman Russ's.
> And it's true that Land Raiders are often greatly overestimated. Sure
> they are very hard to kill. But they're not invincible. And they're
> not like a well placed Demolisher, who can kill up to an entire unit
> with one shot if he gets a clear shot.

Good point. I did secure a Fire Prism, and I will indeed be building an
'alternate' Falcon turret for it as well. And you're both right, I probably
am worrying too much about phantom Land Raiders. I guess part of the
problem is that I know that a lot of my gaming will be with friends using my
own armies, and I have a LR for my Daemonhunters/GKs as well as one for my
Word Bearers. So part of my problem is I'm considering a primary gaming
environment with an artificially high number of LRs.

> By the way: Land Raiders don't like skorpions with pulse mines.
> Neither do they like warlocks with runespears. Talking from
> experience here. :)

The more I think about it, the less I want to make my jetbikes into Shining
Spears and the more I want to convert them into a Farseer and 5 Warlocks,
all on jetbikes. I can model up a few with singing spears and/or
witchblades for anti-armor work and generally looking cool. I know this
might not be a great idea, but I think I can work up some fluff to go behind
it, and I think it would be fun to model and paint up. The only section of
the "Swordwind-style" FOC where I have any room is the HQ part anyway...

--
Ken Coble

Then, feeling wonderful over all this sin they had just abolished, the
aldermen went a little further and made it unlawful for a male citizen
to carry a gun, fight, drink, gamble, swear, disturb the peace, expose
himself indecently, or "be seen in the company of a prostitute not his
wife or some other relative." -Leon Claire Metz, _The Shooters_

Lukas "Lukkai" Buergi wrote:
> Kenneth Coble wrote:
>>pbowles@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>>Odd, I tend to say exactly the reverse - the bright lance simply isn't
>>>worth its cost for a weapon with such restricted utility; not only
>>>does it have the weaknesses of tank-hunting one-shot weapons like the
>>>lascannon, it isn't even all that good at tank-hunting, being no
>>>better than the longer-ranged EML against anything but Predators,
>>>Hammerheads, Leman Russ or Land Raiders.
>>
>>I'm curious; what's the best Eldar response for heavy armor units? I know
>>most of the stuff on that list has thinner side or rear armor (which does
>>look like an argument for just going with another twin-linked starcannon
>>like Craig mentioned), but the LRs are AV14 all the way around. While the
>>others vehicles probably call for swift maneuvering to be able to hit the
>>sides (or rear if I get super-lucky), what's the smart play for an Eldar
>>faced with the heavy iron?
>>
>>Right now all I can think of are Fire Dragons, putting brightlances on the
>>BS4 Wraithlords (like Lukkai mentioned), or looking for a Fire Prism on
>>sale. I am actually doing that last thing even as we speak; I figure I
>>can build the FP turret and build the Falcon turrets that I won't be using
>>on my Wave Serpents and swap them out as the game warrants.
>
> Storm Guardians with pulse mines are a way to kill tanks. I've experienced
> that they are often ignored on the battlefield, as long as they aren't
> blocking the way. However an opponent will only fall for that one once.
> OTOH my opponents now are very careful with storm guardians. Since they
> never know, whether or not I equipped them with mines, they usually pull
> their tanks back and/or concentrate senseless amounts of firepower on them
> when they come near their lines. That gives my other, more important
> troops, some more time.

I don't have a copy of the Codex, but wouldn't pulse mines be something
that should really be WYSIWYGged? I know in practice people don't tend
to worry too much about grenades on models, but I usually list a unit's
kit when I deploy it, to avoid confusion later.

--
=/\= Lt. Cmdr. Jim =/\=
By our chocolate, shall they know us.

>Lt. Cmdr. Jim wrote:
>> I don't have a copy of the Codex, but wouldn't pulse mines be something
>> that should really be WYSIWYGged? I know in practice people don't tend
>> to worry too much about grenades on models, but I usually list a unit's
>> kit when I deploy it, to avoid confusion later.
>

>I'm not sure about the fourth edition right now, but in 3rd, grenades don't
>fall under wysiwyg, since they're small enough to be carried hidden.

And in any case the Guardian sprue includes a haywire grenade, so I'm
not sure where the problem lies anyway.

Philip Bowles

pbowles@aol.com wrote:

>>Lt. Cmdr. Jim wrote:
>>> I don't have a copy of the Codex, but wouldn't pulse mines be something
>>> that should really be WYSIWYGged? I know in practice people don't tend
>>> to worry too much about grenades on models, but I usually list a unit's
>>> kit when I deploy it, to avoid confusion later.
>>

>>I'm not sure about the fourth edition right now, but in 3rd, grenades
>>don't fall under wysiwyg, since they're small enough to be carried hidden.
>
> And in any case the Guardian sprue includes a haywire grenade, so I'm
> not sure where the problem lies anyway.

It does include grenades.

But I'm not using the new storm guardians minis, but the old metal
guardians, equipped with cc-weapons.

But since I answer any questions of my opponents, regarding the equipment of
my units, I don't see a problem here with grenades.
Of course they often forget to ask, simply assuming something. But that's
their fault in the end, not mine. ;)

--
This is Lukkai