[WH40K] Khorne Kill Team

Its my first kill team I've ever though of building, I have most of
the parts so I figured I'd put it up here for suggestions and help.

So far looks ok point wise

Kill Team - Khorne Berkerskers
Camo Gear - 10 Points
Aspiring Champion with Mark of Khorne - 32 points
Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxe - 1 point
With Rage of Khorne - 15 Points
With Counter Attack - 2 Points
Krak and Frak Grenades - 3 points

3x Khorne Berkerkers - 57 points
Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxes - 3 point
Krak and Frak Grenades - 9 points

1x Khorne Berkerker - 19 points
Khornate Chainaxe and Heavy Bolter - 6 points
Krak and Frak Grenade - 3 points

Total - 160

Suggestions or Comments?

Scoot wrote:
> Its my first kill team I've ever though of building, I have most of
> the parts so I figured I'd put it up here for suggestions and help.
>
> So far looks ok point wise
>
> Kill Team - Khorne Berkerskers
> Camo Gear - 10 Points
> Aspiring Champion with Mark of Khorne - 32 points
> Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxe - 1 point
> With Rage of Khorne - 15 Points
> With Counter Attack - 2 Points
> Krak and Frak Grenades - 3 points
>
> 3x Khorne Berkerkers - 57 points
> Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxes - 3 point
> Krak and Frak Grenades - 9 points
>
> 1x Khorne Berkerker - 19 points
> Khornate Chainaxe and Heavy Bolter - 6 points
> Krak and Frak Grenade - 3 points
>
> Total - 160
>

> Suggestions or Comments?

I've played a bunch of games of kill-team. You will run into a lot of
Space Marine brute squads. You'll probably want to trade in a couple of
those Khornate Chainaxes for power weapons and/or plasma weapons.

Scoot wrote:
> Its my first kill team I've ever though of building, I have most of
> the parts so I figured I'd put it up here for suggestions and help.
>
> So far looks ok point wise
>
> Kill Team - Khorne Berkerskers
> Camo Gear - 10 Points
> Aspiring Champion with Mark of Khorne - 32 points
> Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxe - 1 point
> With Rage of Khorne - 15 Points
> With Counter Attack - 2 Points
> Krak and Frak Grenades - 3 points
>
> 3x Khorne Berkerkers - 57 points
> Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxes - 3 point
> Krak and Frak Grenades - 9 points
>
> 1x Khorne Berkerker - 19 points
> Khornate Chainaxe and Heavy Bolter - 6 points
> Krak and Frak Grenade - 3 points
>
> Total - 160
>

> Suggestions or Comments?

Well, all Kill-teams automatically get frag grenades or their equivalent for
free (main rulebook, p. 217) so you don't have to pay that one point. Also,
I'm not sure what you'd take the krak grenades for since your opponents will
be Brute squads of some sort or another, with no vehicles. Now I guess you
could try to work out some special scenarios with your opponents, but for a
'regular' Kill-team game the krak grenades won't do you any good.

Also, you have one of your Berserkers carrying a Hvy Bolter. But per the
current CSM Codex, p.47, Berserkers in power armor can only use bolt pistols
or plasma pistols, so the Hvy Bolter is right out.

With those points gone, you have 20 spare points; that's enough to add
another Berserker with chainaxe if you want. Or if you prefer you could
give the AspChamp and one of the other Berserkers Plasma Pistols.

Hope that helps,

--
Ken Coble

"The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale."

- A.E. Housman, from "Last Poems: IX (The chestnut casts his flambeaux)"

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Scoot wrote:

> Also, you have one of your Berserkers carrying a Hvy Bolter. But per the
> current CSM Codex, p.47, Berserkers in power armor can only use bolt
> pistols or plasma pistols, so the Hvy Bolter is right out.

technically he CAN give him a heavy bolter, but it breaks immutable rule #7
and mutable law #5 - handing his opponent 3 extra brute squads and 35 extra
points ... not really a very good pro/con tradeoff in my opinion.

then there's also the fact that giving models with the mark of khorne heavy
weapons is way out of character even for kill-team :p

Doctor Rock wrote:
> "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Scoot wrote:
>
>> Also, you have one of your Berserkers carrying a Hvy Bolter. But
>> per the current CSM Codex, p.47, Berserkers in power armor can only
>> use bolt pistols or plasma pistols, so the Hvy Bolter is right out.
>
> technically he CAN give him a heavy bolter, but it breaks immutable
> rule #7 and mutable law #5 - handing his opponent 3 extra brute
> squads and 35 extra points ... not really a very good pro/con
> tradeoff in my opinion.
> then there's also the fact that giving models with the mark of khorne
> heavy weapons is way out of character even for kill-team :p

Ah, I see what you mean now. Yes, you're right: Immutable Rule #7 says
"Kill-teams can choose only the weapon upgrades in the unit entry they are
chosen from." So technically, if you're willing to break this rule you
could go so far as to field Kroot with bolters, or IG with shuriken
catapults.

At first I thought this was stupid, but I guess I see the point: these
groups are the type likely to be armed outside of their normal weapons list,
or using captured enemy weapons. And you really, really have to pay for it.

Still, I agree that the other Berserkers will be making fun of the
long-range guy.

--
Ken Coble

"The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale."

- A.E. Housman, from "Last Poems: IX (The chestnut casts his flambeaux)"

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

"Scoot" <Scoot@spam.ca> wrote in message
> Its my first kill team I've ever though of building, I have most of
> the parts so I figured I'd put it up here for suggestions and help.
>
> So far looks ok point wise
>
> Kill Team - Khorne Berkerskers
> Camo Gear - 10 Points
> Aspiring Champion with Mark of Khorne - 32 points
> Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxe - 1 point
> With Rage of Khorne - 15 Points
> With Counter Attack - 2 Points
> Krak and Frak Grenades - 3 points
>
> 3x Khorne Berkerkers - 57 points
> Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxes - 3 point
> Krak and Frak Grenades - 9 points
>
> 1x Khorne Berkerker - 19 points
> Khornate Chainaxe and Heavy Bolter - 6 points
> Krak and Frak Grenade - 3 points
>
> Total - 160
>

> Suggestions or Comments?

LMAO - "Berkerkers"

That's as good as "Blood Angles" et. al
--
chris/bass/idoru
'idoru' website: http://www.idoru.com.au

First off, thanks for that catch, as I do not want those brutes to get
any more tough

>Well, all Kill-teams automatically get frag grenades or their equivalent for
>free (main rulebook, p. 217) so you don't have to pay that one point. Also,
>I'm not sure what you'd take the krak grenades for since your opponents will
>be Brute squads of some sort or another, with no vehicles. Now I guess you
>could try to work out some special scenarios with your opponents, but for a
>'regular' Kill-team game the krak grenades won't do you any good.

See I thought that was the case, and I must of been too tried to read
it.

> so the Hvy Bolter is right out.

true, I just had one lying around, but maybe keep it around for
something else. Chain Axes should be more nasty anyways...

>With those points gone, you have 20 spare points; that's enough to add
>another Berserker with chainaxe if you want. Or if you prefer you could
>give the AspChamp and one of the other Berserkers Plasma Pistols.

Could I give the AspChamp a power weapon? It looked like from the book
I could not- only termies and independant characters, but Army Builder
is saying I could with a normal squad. (the book says they are a
character but I always felt they were an attached one)

So would this list now work?

Kill Team - Khorne Berkerskers
Camo Gear - 10 Points
Aspiring Champion with Mark of Khorne - 32 points
Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon - 10 point
With Rage of Khorne - 15 Points
With Counter Attack - 2 Points

3x Khorne Berkerkers - 57 points
Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxes - 3 point

1x Khorne Berkerker - 19 points
Khornate Chainaxe and Plasma Pistol - 11 points

Total - 159

Scoot wrote:
> First off, thanks for that catch, as I do not want those brutes to get
> any more tough

No problem. As Doc Rock points out, you could sneak that Hvy Bolter in
there if you really wanted to by breaking Immutable Rule #7, but it's not
really characterful for Berserkers, and besides you've got a 1/3 chance of
just charging rather than shooting each turn anyhow (per the Blood Frenzy
rule), so really tooling up their hand-to-hand is the way to go.

<snip>
>> With those points gone, you have 20 spare points; that's enough to
>> add another Berserker with chainaxe if you want. Or if you prefer
>> you could give the AspChamp and one of the other Berserkers Plasma
>> Pistols.
>
> Could I give the AspChamp a power weapon? It looked like from the book
> I could not- only termies and independant characters, but Army Builder
> is saying I could with a normal squad. (the book says they are a
> character but I always felt they were an attached one)

Sure, you can give your AspChamp a power weapon. The 'normal' CSM squad
AspChamps have access to the Chaos Armory per Codex: CSM p. 28, and the
Khornate Berserker AspChamp don't lose that ability. The last entry in the
heading "Weaponry of the Followers of Khorne" on C:CSM p 47 says
"Independent Characters and Aspiring Champions may select from the armoury
as normal" so you'd be perfectly fine giving him a power weapon. Heck, for
5 points more you could give him an Axe of Khorne, which is a power weapon
that keeps getting additional attacks as long as you keep rolling 6s to hit!
Add that to the extra chances from Rage of Khorne and you could be looking
at some real h2h unpleasantness. Of course, I don't know where you could
pull those extra 5 points from, unless you dumped the plasma pistol.

> So would this list now work?
>
> Kill Team - Khorne Berkerskers
> Camo Gear - 10 Points
> Aspiring Champion with Mark of Khorne - 32 points
> Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon - 10 point
> With Rage of Khorne - 15 Points
> With Counter Attack - 2 Points
>
> 3x Khorne Berkerkers - 57 points
> Bolt Pistol & Khornate Chainaxes - 3 point
>
> 1x Khorne Berkerker - 19 points
> Khornate Chainaxe and Plasma Pistol - 11 points
>
> Total - 159

Well, while rule-wise you can take Camo Gear, bear in mind that every turn
you have a 1/3 chance of charging the nearest enemy (Blood Frenzy again!) so
the utility you'll get from it with Berserkers is more limited since Camo
relies on your team spending a turn motionless. There's also a question of
how in-character it would be for a squad of Berserkers to lurk in the
shadows instead of charging forward, but I'd be willing to hand-wave that by
saying that these Berserkers were chosen for this mission primarily for
their strength of will; their particular ability to postpone the
bloodletting and skulltaking until the perfect moment, as opposed to their
more... shall we say _enthusiastic_ brethren. In any event, you'll have to
decide if you think it's worth those ten points when it won't work a third
of the time. "Backstabbers" might be more apporpriate; the rationale could
be not so much that your Berserkers are super-stealthy, just that their
attack is so brutal and overwhelming that the Brute squad never gets a
chance to sound the alarm before they're all winging their sad way to the
Brass Throne of Khorne.

Hope that helps.

--
Ken Coble

"The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale."

- A.E. Housman, from "Last Poems: IX (The chestnut casts his flambeaux)"

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:36:15 GMT, "Kenneth Coble"
<flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote:

>Scoot wrote:
>> First off, thanks for that catch, as I do not want those brutes to get
>> any more tough
>>

>No problem. As Doc Rock points out, you could sneak that Hvy Bolter in
>there if you really wanted to by breaking Immutable Rule #7, but it's not
>really characterful for Berserkers, and besides you've got a 1/3 chance of
>just charging rather than shooting each turn anyhow (per the Blood Frenzy
>rule), so really tooling up their hand-to-hand is the way to go.

Yah I'll keep it to hand to hand.

I also noticed that Backstabber and Camo Gear are upgrades after the
160 limit and more for a kill team campaign (so again I have 11 points
to spend), therefore I could try the Axe of Khorne. However, do I need
to upgrade my AspChamp to Terminator Honors to get that weapon?

And does a pick exist of it? (Might pick it up at conflict next week)

> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:36:15 GMT, "Kenneth Coble"
> <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>

> I also noticed that Backstabber and Camo Gear are upgrades after the
> 160 limit and more for a kill team campaign (so again I have 11 points
> to spend), therefore I could try the Axe of Khorne. However, do I need
> to upgrade my AspChamp to Terminator Honors to get that weapon?

buh? there's no terminator honors in the CSM list. only chosen
terminators. and as the name suggests, that upgrade is only available to
units of chosen...

In article <rp_ze.139793$Vj3.112125@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Doctor
Rock, malafex@blueyonder.co.uk Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

> "Scoot" <Scoot@spam.ca> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:36:15 GMT, "Kenneth Coble"
> > <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> > I also noticed that Backstabber and Camo Gear are upgrades after the
> > 160 limit and more for a kill team campaign (so again I have 11 points
> > to spend), therefore I could try the Axe of Khorne. However, do I need
> > to upgrade my AspChamp to Terminator Honors to get that weapon?
>
> buh? there's no terminator honors in the CSM list. only chosen
> terminators. and as the name suggests, that upgrade is only available to
> units of chosen...

I'm sure he's thinking along the lines of the Standard Vanilla
Marines - IIRC by making an 'Asp Champ'/ giving mark of Khorne he's
accomplished the same thing and given that model access to the armory
which is what he's really asking about. Oddly enough he's apparently
trying to field a legal army list - he'll never make it into a White
Dwarf battle report thinking like that.

Myr :)

--
You can get blood from a stone, you just have to throw
it hard enough.

- Garrett Whelan

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

Scoot wrote:

> Yah I'll keep it to hand to hand.
>
> I also noticed that Backstabber and Camo Gear are upgrades after the
> 160 limit and more for a kill team campaign (so again I have 11 points
> to spend), therefore I could try the Axe of Khorne. However, do I need
> to upgrade my AspChamp to Terminator Honors to get that weapon?

Nope. Simply paying to make a trooper an Aspiring Champion gives them
access to the Chaos armoury. I guess you could say that Aspiring Champion
is the Chaos equivalent to Termie Honors - it give +1A and +1 Ld over the
basic CSM statline and access to the armoury, just like Loyalist Marines get
with Termie Honors.

> And does a pick exist of it? (Might pick it up at conflict next week)

It's the kind of thing you'd have to convert up, I'd guess. I posted
something here a few weeks back about a possible Berserker Kill team, and I
was thinking about using a spare plastic Space Wolf axe on one of the
'spare' minis; I figure with a judicious paint job you could pass it off as
either a regular power weapon or an Axe of Khorne. If not that, maybe you
could try and take two Khornate chainaxes and make a two-headed one?

--
Ken Coble

"The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale."

- A.E. Housman, from "Last Poems: IX (The chestnut casts his flambeaux)"

> I'm sure he's thinking along the lines of the Standard Vanilla
>Marines - IIRC by making an 'Asp Champ'/ giving mark of Khorne he's
>accomplished the same thing and given that model access to the armory
>which is what he's really asking about. Oddly enough he's apparently
>trying to field a legal army list - he'll never make it into a White
>Dwarf battle report thinking like that.
>
> Myr :)

heheheh, so true, but it must be the little rule troll in me to try
and get it looking right. I know kill teams are supposed to be more
fun and my friends are trying to get me to lighten up.