Glad I don't own a Gateway !!!

According to the latest news Gateway is sliding downhill fast. The new
warranty on systems purchased after April 1 2004 will only cover parts
no labor. Laptops will be mail in only no onsite service. They are also
linking tech support to the warranty and if you have, say a 1 year, that
is all the tech support you get for free no more lifetime support. They
are also moving their headquarters again and the stores are all up for
sale or will be closed.

--
Steve

More about glad gateway

    Steve W. wrote:
    > According to the latest news Gateway is sliding downhill fast. The
    > new warranty on systems purchased after April 1 2004 will only cover
    > parts no labor. Laptops will be mail in only no onsite service. They
    > are also linking tech support to the warranty and if you have, say a
    > 1 year, that is all the tech support you get for free no more
    > lifetime support. They are also moving their headquarters again and
    > the stores are all up for sale or will be closed.

    Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in the
    computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer newbies
    in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    They are their own worst enemy.

    Total BS.

    Just goes to show that anyone with an internet connection and a keyboard
    can't spout boundless drivel. Quite frankly, Gateway was a consistent
    innovator that made some mistakes, however, they never made second rate
    machines. All OEMs use the same parts anyway, idiot! Get your facts in
    order before you insert your foot in your big mouth and make yourself look
    like an illiterate putz!

    As for Dell, they're starting to make some of the same mistakes; it's known
    in business circles as the maturation of a company. It happens to the best
    of them.

    > Steve W. wrote:
    > > According to the latest news Gateway is sliding downhill fast. The
    > > new warranty on systems purchased after April 1 2004 will only cover
    > > parts no labor. Laptops will be mail in only no onsite service. They
    > > are also linking tech support to the warranty and if you have, say a
    > > 1 year, that is all the tech support you get for free no more
    > > lifetime support. They are also moving their headquarters again and
    > > the stores are all up for sale or will be closed.
    >
    > Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in the
    > computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    > enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer newbies
    > in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    > and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    > 1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    > fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    > They are their own worst enemy.

    > Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in the
    > computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    > enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer newbies
    > in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    > and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    > 1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    > fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    > They are their own worst enemy.

    But their machines are still more reliable than Dell's.

    Really? What statistics can you share to support this bizarre contention?

    Tom
    "EdH" <mainelites@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in the
    > > computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    > > enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer newbies
    > > in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    > > and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    > > 1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    > > fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    > > They are their own worst enemy.
    >
    > But their machines are still more reliable than Dell's.

    I'm sure there's a reason for this thread being in this group. I just
    haven't figured it out.

    Rocky

    > Really? What statistics can you share to support this bizarre contention?
    >
    > Tom
    > "EdH" <mainelites@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in
    the
    > > > computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    > > > enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer
    newbies
    > > > in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    > > > and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    > > > 1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    > > > fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    > > > They are their own worst enemy.
    > >
    > > But their machines are still more reliable than Dell's.

    "EdH" <mainelites@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in the
    > > computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    > > enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer newbies
    > > in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    > > and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    > > 1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    > > fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    > > They are their own worst enemy.
    >
    > But their machines are still more reliable than Dell's.

    Stanky troll bait.

    HA HA April Fool, right

    EdH wrote:

    >> Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in
    >> the computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate
    >> machines, they enlarged their business on the dollars of
    >> unsuspecting computer newbies in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp
    >> the concepts of quality control and quality assurance that other
    >> marketers instituted in the late 1990's. The marketed entire new
    >> lines of computers that had fundamental defects that should never
    >> have passed the prototype stage. They are their own worst enemy.
    >
    > But their machines are still more reliable than Dell's.

    Dell never has, to my knowledge, which is not much, had to recall entire
    lines of newly-marketed computers. Well, Gateway didn't either, but had
    their offices been accessible there would have been mobs breaking down
    the doors. Having owned both Dell and Gateway, at work and at home,
    Dell is far more reliable than Gateway and Dell's service is so much
    better that a comparison is ludicrous. Frankly, I think Gateway just
    went to Taiwan and bought quantities of whatever they could get most
    cheaply without any in-company QA process. Their laptops are junk.
    Their desktops are little better. They earned their difficulties.

    TB wrote:
    > Total BS.
    >
    > Just goes to show that anyone with an internet connection and a
    > keyboard can't spout boundless drivel. Quite frankly, Gateway was a
    > consistent innovator that made some mistakes, however, they never
    > made second rate machines. All OEMs use the same parts anyway,
    > idiot! Get your facts in order before you insert your foot in your
    > big mouth and make yourself look like an illiterate putz!
    >
    > As for Dell, they're starting to make some of the same mistakes; it's
    > known in business circles as the maturation of a company. It happens
    > to the best of them.

    >> Steve W. wrote:
    >>> According to the latest news Gateway is sliding downhill fast. The
    >>> new warranty on systems purchased after April 1 2004 will only cover
    >>> parts no labor. Laptops will be mail in only no onsite service.
    >>> They are also linking tech support to the warranty and if you have,
    >>> say a 1 year, that is all the tech support you get for free no more
    >>> lifetime support. They are also moving their headquarters again and
    >>> the stores are all up for sale or will be closed.
    >>
    >> Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in
    >> the computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate
    >> machines, they enlarged their business on the dollars of
    >> unsuspecting computer newbies in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp
    >> the concepts of quality control and quality assurance that other
    >> marketers instituted in the late 1990's. The marketed entire new
    >> lines of computers that had fundamental defects that should never
    >> have passed the prototype stage. They are their own worst enemy.

    Right. Gateway closed their own usenet support groups in 1998 simply
    because many of their new offerings were failed right out of the box and
    their one-time purchaser customer base was revolting. Several of their
    "innovations", the Gateway Solo 9100xl (1997/8) and the D600 (I believe
    that is the designation, 2001) were abject reliability failures, despite
    glowing report from CNET and the rest of that bunch. Mainboards and
    video chips on the former had lifetimes of hours, and the latter had a
    power key capacitor that prevented it from booting a second time and GW
    simply could not admit the problem. Both of these were flagship products
    that demonstrated, according to Gateway, the company's technical
    prowess. Neither were inexpensive. The former was $4K, the latter $3K.
    Both made nifty doorstops. These are just two examples. BTW, Gateway
    made none of their computers, they just sent the sales address to Taiwan
    as do other vendors. Their problems were not the components, but
    fundamentals like contracting a reliable mainboard.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > I'm sure there's a reason for this thread being in this group. I just
    > haven't figured it out.
    >
    > Rocky

    It's so Tom Scales can beat the Dell drum. I just wish he hadn't reneged on
    his pledge a few months ago to post less.

    Being in denial is a debilitating psychological condition though I guess.

    Let me know if you're planning any more ad hominem attacks, so I can save
    time by putting you in my kill file right away.

    Rocky

    "Glenn Banwell" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm sure there's a reason for this thread being in this group. I just
    > > haven't figured it out.
    > >
    > > Rocky
    > >

    > It's so Tom Scales can beat the Dell drum. I just wish he hadn't reneged
    on
    > his pledge a few months ago to post less.
    >
    > Being in denial is a debilitating psychological condition though I guess.

    You quote Rocket and then attack me? I didn't promise not to be Pro-Dell, I
    promised not to attack posters.

    And I haven't.

    Too bad YOU didn't keep the pledge.
    "Glenn Banwell" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm sure there's a reason for this thread being in this group. I just
    > > haven't figured it out.
    > >
    > > Rocky
    > >

    > It's so Tom Scales can beat the Dell drum. I just wish he hadn't reneged
    on
    > his pledge a few months ago to post less.
    >
    > Being in denial is a debilitating psychological condition though I guess.

    puny squirrel brain thinks he's big squirrel on campus when he's just road
    kill. stick it where the sun don't shine rodent face.

    > Let me know if you're planning any more ad hominem attacks, so I can save
    > time by putting you in my kill file right away.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "Glenn Banwell" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm sure there's a reason for this thread being in this group. I just
    > > > haven't figured it out.
    > > >
    > > > Rocky
    > > >

    > > It's so Tom Scales can beat the Dell drum. I just wish he hadn't
    reneged
    > on
    > > his pledge a few months ago to post less.
    > >
    > > Being in denial is a debilitating psychological condition though I
    guess.

    They pulled completely out the NZ market (& most of Asia-Pacific) - glad I
    don't own one here.

    "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message

    > According to the latest news Gateway is sliding downhill fast. The new
    > warranty on systems purchased after April 1 2004 will only cover parts
    > no labor. Laptops will be mail in only no onsite service. They are also
    > linking tech support to the warranty and if you have, say a 1 year, that
    > is all the tech support you get for free no more lifetime support. They
    > are also moving their headquarters again and the stores are all up for
    > sale or will be closed.
    >
    > --
    > Steve

    I think Dell is facing some loss of market share as well. I service PC's and
    many people who have bought Dell within the past year have not been happy.
    Dell's customer service has become a mere joke. You are lucky if you call
    and get someone who can even speak English. For desktop PC's, I recommend a
    custom built PC. As for Laptops, I recommend Toshiba and IBM. Both are much
    better built machines than the Dell laptops.

    Kevin
    > Steve W. wrote:
    > > According to the latest news Gateway is sliding downhill fast. The
    > > new warranty on systems purchased after April 1 2004 will only cover
    > > parts no labor. Laptops will be mail in only no onsite service. They
    > > are also linking tech support to the warranty and if you have, say a
    > > 1 year, that is all the tech support you get for free no more
    > > lifetime support. They are also moving their headquarters again and
    > > the stores are all up for sale or will be closed.
    >
    > Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in the
    > computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    > enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer newbies
    > in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    > and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    > 1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    > fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    > They are their own worst enemy.

    Well, there's a surprise post coming from Tom Scales (aka: Tom Dell)!
    > Really? What statistics can you share to support this bizarre contention?
    >
    > Tom
    > "EdH" <mainelites@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in
    the
    > > > computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    > > > enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer
    newbies
    > > > in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    > > > and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    > > > 1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    > > > fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    > > > They are their own worst enemy.
    > >
    > > But their machines are still more reliable than Dell's.

    I asked a legitimate question. Do YOU have such statistics.
    "Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com> wrote in message
    > Well, there's a surprise post coming from Tom Scales (aka: Tom Dell)!
    > > Really? What statistics can you share to support this bizarre
    contention?

    > > Tom
    > > "EdH" <mainelites@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

    > the
    > newbies
    > > >
    > > > But their machines are still more reliable than Dell's.

    Tom, close your eyes and repeat ten times: "Dell is not perfect"!
    > I asked a legitimate question. Do YOU have such statistics.
    > "Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com> wrote in message
    > > Well, there's a surprise post coming from Tom Scales (aka: Tom Dell)!
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > Really? What statistics can you share to support this bizarre
    > contention?
    > > >
    > > > Tom
    > > > "EdH" <mainelites@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > the
    > they
    > > newbies
    > control
    > stage.

    you truly need to re-read your posts if you believe that is my position.
    > Tom, close your eyes and repeat ten times: "Dell is not perfect"!
    > > I asked a legitimate question. Do YOU have such statistics.
    > > "Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com> wrote in message
    > > > Well, there's a surprise post coming from Tom Scales (aka: Tom Dell)!
    > > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > contention?

    > in
    > > > the
    > > they
    > > > newbies
    > > control
    > > stage.

    Perhaps Tom has never had the 'pleasure' as we Canadians do of having to
    call Dell Support.

    For us, the answer (when we can understand it because of the accent) is
    always 'Do a complete reinstall'.

    Need I add where we get directed to for support?

    Thought not..............

    --
    David Nimon
    dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    "Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com> wrote in message
    > Tom, close your eyes and repeat ten times: "Dell is not perfect"!

    What the hell did I do to start getting abused? Do you even know anything
    about my posts?

    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Perhaps Tom has never had the 'pleasure' as we Canadians do of having to
    > call Dell Support.
    >
    > For us, the answer (when we can understand it because of the accent) is
    > always 'Do a complete reinstall'.
    >
    > Need I add where we get directed to for support?
    >
    > Thought not..............
    >
    > --
    > David Nimon
    > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
    >

    > "Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com> wrote in message
    > > Tom, close your eyes and repeat ten times: "Dell is not perfect"!

    I'm in the US and have had the pleasure of not understanding the Tech's
    accent. I hung up immediately and emailed my problem. It got resolved
    within a work week. The tech who came to correct the problem spoke with
    an Ohio accent. :-)

    You know if everyone stopped complaining about calling and getting tech
    voice support from (which truly most of us cannot understand the accent)
    India, and we chose to email instead, maybe Dell would get the message
    we can't understand them.

    Griping on the newsgroup about it, makes me wonder if too many of us
    have too much time on their hands, and no problems with their Dell
    system. :-)

    Dell Tech has never told me to reinstall the OS. I only call when I
    know I have a hardware problem. Software is not their problem, unless
    you didn't install anything and the system is not working properly, that
    will usually show up immediately or within the 30 days, send it back and
    order another one. It will never work properly.

    Joan

    David Nimon wrote:
    > Perhaps Tom has never had the 'pleasure' as we Canadians do of having to
    > call Dell Support.
    >
    > For us, the answer (when we can understand it because of the accent) is
    > always 'Do a complete reinstall'.
    >
    > Need I add where we get directed to for support?
    >
    > Thought not..............

    Unless the software is Dell's own Media Experience where, one day, it
    refused to run with a message that file such and such was missing. The call
    to support gave the suggested solution: reinstall.

    I chose to do without Media Experience instead.

    --
    David Nimon
    dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
    "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > I'm in the US and have had the pleasure of not understanding the Tech's
    > accent. I hung up immediately and emailed my problem. It got resolved
    > within a work week. The tech who came to correct the problem spoke with
    > an Ohio accent. :-)
    >
    > You know if everyone stopped complaining about calling and getting tech
    > voice support from (which truly most of us cannot understand the accent)
    > India, and we chose to email instead, maybe Dell would get the message
    > we can't understand them.
    >
    > Griping on the newsgroup about it, makes me wonder if too many of us
    > have too much time on their hands, and no problems with their Dell
    > system. :-)
    >
    > Dell Tech has never told me to reinstall the OS. I only call when I
    > know I have a hardware problem. Software is not their problem, unless
    > you didn't install anything and the system is not working properly, that
    > will usually show up immediately or within the 30 days, send it back and
    > order another one. It will never work properly.
    >
    > Joan
    >

    > David Nimon wrote:
    > > Perhaps Tom has never had the 'pleasure' as we Canadians do of having to
    > > call Dell Support.
    > >
    > > For us, the answer (when we can understand it because of the accent) is
    > > always 'Do a complete reinstall'.
    > >
    > > Need I add where we get directed to for support?
    > >
    > > Thought not..............

    I would of too. Most of that stuff is junk programs. Didn't you get
    the program on one of Dell's CD's?

    Joan

    Joan Hansen wrote:
    > I'm in the US and have had the pleasure of not understanding the
    Tech's
    > accent. I hung up immediately and emailed my problem. It got
    resolved
    > within a work week. The tech who came to correct the problem spoke
    with
    > an Ohio accent. :-)
    >
    > You know if everyone stopped complaining about calling and getting
    tech
    > voice support from (which truly most of us cannot understand the
    accent)
    > India, and we chose to email instead, maybe Dell would get the message
    > we can't understand them.
    >
    > Griping on the newsgroup about it, makes me wonder if too many of us
    > have too much time on their hands, and no problems with their Dell
    > system. :-)
    >
    > Dell Tech has never told me to reinstall the OS. I only call when I
    > know I have a hardware problem. Software is not their problem, unless
    > you didn't install anything and the system is not working properly,
    that
    > will usually show up immediately or within the 30 days, send it back
    and
    > order another one. It will never work properly.
    >
    > Joan

    I tried that, and the e-mail tech was very quick - sent me a script to
    try, none of which applied, then confirmed what I knew (DVDRW drive as
    shot, less than a month old).

    Unfoirtunately, in Canada e-mail support cannot authorise anything
    because they're in the US. So, I had to call... Took me 40 minutes to
    convince the "tech" - reading from a script that I needed a new drive.

    He had trouble understanding me and me him. He simply could not
    understand that the drive read/wrote CD but did nothing with DVD. I
    explained it to him 4 times and told him e-mail support had confirmed I
    need a new drive.

    I don't know what these guys get to see when I tell them my service tag
    and name and address - obviously not a profile of my PC since this guy
    could alos not comprehend that I had a DVDRom and DVDRW and therefore
    could easily verify that there was nothing wrong with the 12 different
    DVDs that I had tried. I followed him and deleted some stuff in the
    registry which screwed up many many other things. I was running a
    system restore back to immediately before I called him when I was giving
    him my address *again* to get the drive sent to me.

    But, eventually a new drive was sent to me and I replaced it and all is
    well. (I had the old one over a month before I convinced Dell that I
    was going to throw it out if they didn't want it back because they never
    ssent me the return envelope for it - but that's another issue and was
    finally done with Canadian web support)

    I pity the newbies who don't know enough to back up - restore point,
    before they call support (he didn't even tell me to back up my registry
    before deleting keys in it). This was so obviously not a software
    issue. I was actively waiting for him to tell me reinstall XP.
    --
    Cynthia

    Please delete REMOVE to reply directly
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Yes, Joan, I did ....but the support guy said I'd need to do a reinstall of
    XP itself when I hung up (politely, though <g>).

    --

    > I would of too. Most of that stuff is junk programs. Didn't you get
    > the program on one of Dell's CD's?
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    David, I do feel sorry for computer newbies, but we all had to learn the
    hard way, especially if you bought your first computer back in the late
    80's. I still do many things in dos and the Win dos prompt. Old habits
    die hard I guess. :-)

    Joan

    David Nimon wrote:
    > Yes, Joan, I did ....but the support guy said I'd need to do a reinstall of
    > XP itself when I hung up (politely, though <g>).

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Wow Cynthia, I would think Dell had email support on the web site where
    you purchased PC's from in Canada. Bummer :-(

    Joan

    Cynthia G wrote:

> [...]
    > DVDs that I had tried. I followed him and deleted some stuff in the
    > registry which screwed up many many other things. I was running a
    > system restore back to immediately before I called him when I was giving
    > him my address *again* to get the drive sent to me.
    >
    > But, eventually a new drive was sent to me and I replaced it and all is
    > well. (I had the old one over a month before I convinced Dell that I
    > was going to throw it out if they didn't want it back because they never
    > ssent me the return envelope for it - but that's another issue and was
    > finally done with Canadian web support)
    >
    > I pity the newbies who don't know enough to back up - restore point,
    > before they call support (he didn't even tell me to back up my registry
    > before deleting keys in it). This was so obviously not a software
    > issue. I was actively waiting for him to tell me reinstall XP.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I would disagree with the comments about the Solo 9100xl. I have one and
    have no problems. It is about 4 1/2 years old and I still use it. I did
    buy a dell 600 m and have been less than satisfied with it, as well as dell
    support. The only reason I replaced the Solo is because of the age - it was
    just getting too slow. The only reason I replaced with Dell was the rumors
    about Gateway going under...and I wanted warranty repairs if needed. My
    next laptop will be a Gateway if they are still around. It seem blue
    screens are a way of life with the 600m. I have reloaded and still
    frequently get blue screens...Never did get a resolution from Dell support.

    > TB wrote:
    > > Total BS.
    > >
    > > Just goes to show that anyone with an internet connection and a
    > > keyboard can't spout boundless drivel. Quite frankly, Gateway was a
    > > consistent innovator that made some mistakes, however, they never
    > > made second rate machines. All OEMs use the same parts anyway,
    > > idiot! Get your facts in order before you insert your foot in your
    > > big mouth and make yourself look like an illiterate putz!
    > >
    > > As for Dell, they're starting to make some of the same mistakes; it's
    > > known in business circles as the maturation of a company. It happens
    > > to the best of them.
    > >

    > > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in
    > >> the computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate
    > >> machines, they enlarged their business on the dollars of
    > >> unsuspecting computer newbies in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp
    > >> the concepts of quality control and quality assurance that other
    > >> marketers instituted in the late 1990's. The marketed entire new
    > >> lines of computers that had fundamental defects that should never
    > >> have passed the prototype stage. They are their own worst enemy.

    > Right. Gateway closed their own usenet support groups in 1998 simply
    > because many of their new offerings were failed right out of the box and
    > their one-time purchaser customer base was revolting. Several of their
    > "innovations", the Gateway Solo 9100xl (1997/8) and the D600 (I believe
    > that is the designation, 2001) were abject reliability failures, despite
    > glowing report from CNET and the rest of that bunch. Mainboards and
    > video chips on the former had lifetimes of hours, and the latter had a
    > power key capacitor that prevented it from booting a second time and GW
    > simply could not admit the problem. Both of these were flagship products
    > that demonstrated, according to Gateway, the company's technical
    > prowess. Neither were inexpensive. The former was $4K, the latter $3K.
    > Both made nifty doorstops. These are just two examples. BTW, Gateway
    > made none of their computers, they just sent the sales address to Taiwan
    > as do other vendors. Their problems were not the components, but
    > fundamentals like contracting a reliable mainboard.

  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Joan Hansen wrote:
    > Wow Cynthia, I would think Dell had email support on the web site
    where
    > you purchased PC's from in Canada. Bummer :-(
    >
    > Joan

    I would had thought so too. But the link warns that it's taking you to
    US support, but I thought that they could at least e-mail Canada and
    tell them what's what, but no luck.

    I eventually found a customer service e-mail address on the Canadian
    site (it was well buried) but had to fill out a form and none of the
    pre-selected categories fit my problem (still had their broken drive and
    wanted to give it back to them). After three replies of use the form on
    page... I finally got someone to understand that the form didn't fit and
    if they told they didn't want it I would throw it out.
    --
    Cynthia

    Please delete REMOVE to reply directly
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Hardly a newbie here, Joan....I was TEACHING computer courses in high school
    in 1970!

    Having said that, all that experience has taught me to know enough to know
    when I don't know enough!!

    Ah DOS, them were the days..............

    --
    > David, I do feel sorry for computer newbies, but we all had to learn the
    > hard way, especially if you bought your first computer back in the late
    > 80's. I still do many things in dos and the Win dos prompt. Old habits
    > die hard I guess. :-)
    >
    > Joan
    >
    > David Nimon wrote:
    > > Yes, Joan, I did ....but the support guy said I'd need to do a reinstall
    of
    > > XP itself when I hung up (politely, though <g>).

  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Kevin M" <kmiles@directUS.com> wrote in message news:<106s70ofmnh6k47@corp.supernews.com>...
    > I think Dell is facing some loss of market share as well. I service PC's and
    > many people who have bought Dell within the past year have not been happy.
    > Dell's customer service has become a mere joke. You are lucky if you call
    > and get someone who can even speak English. For desktop PC's, I recommend a
    > custom built PC. As for Laptops, I recommend Toshiba and IBM. Both are much
    > better built machines than the Dell laptops.

    i had a custom pc built with the following:
    antec sonata case with 380watt antec power supply
    intel d865perll mainboard with latest p14 bios
    sony 16x dvd-rom drive, liteon 52x32x52 cdrw
    crucial.com ddr 3200 ram
    crucial.com radeon 9600pro 128meg video card with latest ati.com
    drivers
    western digital 80gig 8meg cache hard disk
    sound blaster pci 128 sound card
    internal usr performance pro modem v.92 with latest usr drivers
    xp pro full version

    been getting intermittent blue screens as described at the following
    link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314492

    i did a reformat and reinstall of xp pro and still get the
    intermittent bad pool caller errors.

    so much for having a computer custom built. seems like blue screens
    follow me from new computer to new computer on custom built ones.

    am considering my next computer from www.buympc.com or
    www.falcon-nw.com. what i like about either of these companies is the
    first one is cheaper than dell when configuring online and both allow
    selecting of exact components.
    i've read that at buympc.com that the same technician on the phone is
    assigned to a customer's computer problems.

    so is my blue screen error likely faulty drivers, bad software or bad
    hardware?

    i had a toshiba pcx2600 modem attached via ethernet cat 5e cabling &
    that was the last thing i had added hardware wise. since then ive
    removed it and gone back to the rented cable modem from the cable
    company. could it be the toshiba modem even though it was connected
    via ethernet was causing the problem?

    most other people that i know of with either almost one year old dell
    computers or newer dell computers dont have blue screen errors. also,
    people that i know that have custom built pc's don't have these
    problems.

    any insights?
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Cynthia G wrote:

    > Joan Hansen wrote:
    >
    >>Wow Cynthia, I would think Dell had email support on the web site
    >
    > where
    >
    >>you purchased PC's from in Canada. Bummer :-(
    >>
    >>Joan
    >>

    > I would had thought so too. But the link warns that it's taking you to
    > US support, but I thought that they could at least e-mail Canada and
    > tell them what's what, but no luck.
    >
    > I eventually found a customer service e-mail address on the Canadian
    > site (it was well buried) but had to fill out a form and none of the
    > pre-selected categories fit my problem (still had their broken drive and
    > wanted to give it back to them). After three replies of use the form on
    > page... I finally got someone to understand that the form didn't fit and
    > if they told they didn't want it I would throw it out.

    Did you eventually get it straightened out with email? US'form asks the
    same, but gives you a place to explain your problem. My 8300 has no
    screws in the system and the little green plastic clamp holding the PCI
    cards would not stay clamped down. I just kept asking for screws in the
    message that would work, cause the holes are there. :-) My return email
    said we are sending a tech to replace your motherboard. Ouch :-( Tech
    agreed I didn't need the motherboard, he ordered the clamp and was back
    out the next day to install it. You know between the hard to understand
    accent when you call, and email, Dell pays a lot of money to these Tech
    Companies for servicing. Two trips because Dell doesn't stock any items
    with the tech company they use. Dell pays for next day delivery. :-(

    But at least with all the Dell's I have purchased 6 in all, I really
    haven't had any hardware problems to speak of. They are all still in use.

    Joan
  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    If DOS and cosmic consciousness would return, life couldn't be better...

    Rocky

    > Hardly a newbie here, Joan....I was TEACHING computer courses in high
    school
    > in 1970!
    >
    > Having said that, all that experience has taught me to know enough to know
    > when I don't know enough!!
    >
    > Ah DOS, them were the days..............
    >
    > --
    > David Nimon
    > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
    > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > > David, I do feel sorry for computer newbies, but we all had to learn the
    > > hard way, especially if you bought your first computer back in the late
    > > 80's. I still do many things in dos and the Win dos prompt. Old habits
    > > die hard I guess. :-)
    > >
    > > Joan
    > >
    > > David Nimon wrote:
    > > > Yes, Joan, I did ....but the support guy said I'd need to do a
    reinstall
    > of
    > > > XP itself when I hung up (politely, though <g>).

  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ah yes fella's dos. I still have two systems 486 3.1 & Dos, Pentium
    Win98SE reboots to dos. I will never give up my Tex Murphy series of
    games. :-) I'm 71 and I think I will be covered with dos and Tex for
    rest of my life, I hope!!

    Joan

    Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:

    > If DOS and cosmic consciousness would return, life couldn't be better...
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hardly a newbie here, Joan....I was TEACHING computer courses in high
    >
    > school
    >
    >>in 1970!
    >>
    >>Having said that, all that experience has taught me to know enough to know
    >>when I don't know enough!!
    >>
    >>Ah DOS, them were the days..............
    >>
    >>--
    >>David Nimon
    >>dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
    >>"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>David, I do feel sorry for computer newbies, but we all had to learn the
    >>>hard way, especially if you bought your first computer back in the late
    >>>80's. I still do many things in dos and the Win dos prompt. Old habits
    >>>die hard I guess. :-)
    >>>
    >>>Joan

    > reinstall
    >
    >>of

  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Joan Hansen wrote:
    > Cynthia G wrote:
    >
    >> Joan Hansen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wow Cynthia, I would think Dell had email support on the web site
    >>
    >> where
    >>
    >>> you purchased PC's from in Canada. Bummer :-(
    >>>
    >>> Joan
    >>>

    >> I would had thought so too. But the link warns that it's taking you
    >> US support, but I thought that they could at least e-mail Canada and
    >> tell them what's what, but no luck.
    >>
    >> I eventually found a customer service e-mail address on the Canadian
    >> site (it was well buried) but had to fill out a form and none of the
    >> pre-selected categories fit my problem (still had their broken drive
    and
    >> wanted to give it back to them). After three replies of use the form
    on
    >> page... I finally got someone to understand that the form didn't fit
    and
    >> if they told they didn't want it I would throw it out.
    >
    > Did you eventually get it straightened out with email? US'form asks
    the
    > same, but gives you a place to explain your problem. My 8300 has no
    > screws in the system and the little green plastic clamp holding the
    PCI
    > cards would not stay clamped down. I just kept asking for screws in
    the
    > message that would work, cause the holes are there. :-) My return
    email
    > said we are sending a tech to replace your motherboard. Ouch :-(
    Tech
    > agreed I didn't need the motherboard, he ordered the clamp and was
    back
    > out the next day to install it. You know between the hard to
    understand
    > accent when you call, and email, Dell pays a lot of money to these
    Tech
    > Companies for servicing. Two trips because Dell doesn't stock any
    items
    > with the tech company they use. Dell pays for next day delivery. :-(
    >
    > But at least with all the Dell's I have purchased 6 in all, I really
    > haven't had any hardware problems to speak of. They are all still in
    use.

    > Joan

    Not to replace the drive - that took a (long) call. But to give them
    back the bad drive, they were supposed to send a purolator return
    envelope for it - I specifically asked for it from the tech - who said
    yes, but clearly had no idea what I was talking about and wanted to get
    rid of me because he had *solved* my issue.

    Eventually got the envelope - only after the third message clearly
    stating that if they wrote back that they didn't want it I would throw
    it away - no problem. But a month of sitting my liing room was too
    much.

    I wrote this in the explanation space of the form message - but got at
    least 2 replies telling me to go to their site and fill out the
    appropriate form. There is no form for "take your broken stuff back - I
    don't want it"!
    --
    Cynthia

    Please delete REMOVE to reply directly
  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Yeah. Get that shift key fixed.

Dell Support Gateway Computers