Sign in with
Your question

How do you spot a TN panel? Do they really look that bad?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 9, 2009 11:54:46 PM

Hi there. This is a question about monitors but it's concerned with my xbox 360. I think it's more appropriate here, but if it should be in Gaming then I appologise and maybe a mod could move it.

I'm planning on getting an LCD to use with the 360. I figured I'd save money and get a decent monitor rather than a low to mid range tv. I had my search narrowed down to two, the Samsung 2233SW 21.5" and the Viewsonic VX2433WM 24". Both are 1920 x 1080 full HD.

But I've heard that TN panels have lower image quality as they sacrifice that for response time. Well, I've noticed on my CRT that all games have motion blurr anyway. I've never played a game that didn't blur when you move. So I don't really understand the point of them. But anyway, I figured I'd avoid them because a good image is much more important to me.

I learned the Viewsonic was a TN, but I read here on this board that most 22" monitors are TN, which was a bummer because I was just about all ready to buy the Samsung.

So my question is is there a way I can be sure? Might it not be a TN or is it a safe bet that it is?

The range of monitors that is available here (in New Zealand) seems pretty limited and the 20" to 22" are the most common. I'm further limited to stores that offer a free "change of mind" policy. Unlike the US, you can't assume you can just take something back if you don't like it. I think I might end up being stuck with one despite everything. So are they really that bad, for a laymen (albeit a picky one)?

I have another question for anyone who knows about the 360, but I'll leave it here as it has to do with displays again.

As I mentioned I've been looking at full HD displays because if I'm going to be spending a lot of money I want something really good. But then I heard that the 360 isn't even capable of full HD, and that since all games deliver different resolutions you invariably get scaling issues, most notably the image appears jagged. Is this correct?

I'd assumed that if I had a full HD monitor, and connected it with HDMI then it would give me a perfect 1080p image. Or if I used a VGA cable, which allows you to select the 360s resolution, and set it to 1920 x 1080 that I'd get a good image with no jaggies, distortion or letterboxing. Is that true or not?

So the question I'm faced with is it even worth it to get a full HD monitor? Should I just get something cheaper if I'm not going to get a very good image anyway?

I've been debating this all back and forth for months now, and trying to learn all I can about this sort of thing, reading reviews and so on and it's become a bit of a nightmare. So if anyone can throw any light on these issues, so that when I do bite the bullet and go down and buy something I won't be crushingly disappointed.

Thank you very much indeed.

More about : spot panel bad

a c 193 C Monitor
June 10, 2009 12:14:29 AM

Non TN panels (*VA and IPS) lists viewing angles at 178/178.

Response Times are no faster than 6ms. The one exception is the Planar PX2611w (H-IPS panel) with 5ms response time.

Nearly all 22" LCD monitors use TN panels. Exceptions are:
1. Dell 2209WA which uses an e-IPS panel
2. Lenovo ThinkVision L220x - S-PVA panel, 1920 x 1200 resolution
3. 22" monitors made by Ezio - they use S-PVA panels

In the US, all 24" monitors costing less than $575 (unless on sale or a recent tiny price drop) will be a TN panel.

All 1920 x 1080 are TN panels. No exceptions. Period.

----------------------------------------------------------

Can you tell the difference?

I certainly can, to the point where I am willing to pay 2x or 3x the price to get a non TN panel LCD monitor. I actually have monitors using TN, H-IPS and S-PVA panels.

- Primary monitor = NEC 2690WUXi = H-IPS panel

- Secondary monitor (dual monitor setup) = Planar PX191 = S-PVA panel (this will soon be replaced by a Planar PX2611w which uses the same H-IPS panel as the NEC)

- Tertiary monitor = Asus VK246H = TN panel - This monitor is connected to my HTPC to monitor some processes. Since it is used less than 6 hours per week I decided to just go with something cheap.

Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 17, 2010 2:25:13 PM

In response to one of the above statements regarding all 1920x1080 panels being TN panels;

This is now outdated - there are 22"+ 1920x1080 panels that are not TN panels;

For example : Samsung F2380 [23", 1920x1080, cPVA panel]

Affordable too @ around £200

a b C Monitor
March 18, 2010 3:05:42 AM

You don't have to spot the difference between TN or non-TN panels. Any good panel type such as S-PVA or S-IPS would definitely be advertised as so.
!