Validation Failure?

I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation software.
Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate computer that has a
volume license key on it provided to me from my work.
I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is generally
for businesses and that its a volume license key. No kidding........it found
it was a volume license key because it is.
So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows update
anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows updates before
they are deployed to the rest of the users in the department. So what's the
deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone with a volume license key must have a
illegal(in there eyes) version is getting a little out of hand here.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about validation failure

    phil-rge-ee wrote:
    > I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation software.
    > Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate computer that has a
    > volume license key on it provided to me from my work.
    > I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is generally
    > for businesses and that its a volume license key. No kidding........it found
    > it was a volume license key because it is.
    > So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows update
    > anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows updates before
    > they are deployed to the rest of the users in the department. So what's the
    > deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone with a volume license key must have a
    > illegal(in there eyes) version is getting a little out of hand here.
    > Can anyone shed some light on this?
    > Thanks.

    Validation, of course, is generally applicable for the single
    user since MS presumes that volume users under broad licenses
    would be doing their own administration and management. But
    this is a false notion since all it does is put more work on
    the system administrators and techs at installing patches...
    and just that. Nor am I going to roll out a massive Windows
    update until I know the patches work in the test systems and
    I share the same frustration as you. If this much work is
    involved, it would be more satisfying to convert to Linux or
    revert to Unix.

    phil-rge-ee wrote:
    > I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation
    > software. Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate
    > computer that has a volume license key on it provided to me from my
    > work.
    > I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is
    > generally for businesses and that its a volume license key. No
    > kidding........it found it was a volume license key because it is.
    > So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows
    > update anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows
    > updates before they are deployed to the rest of the users in the
    > department. So what's the deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone
    > with a volume license key must have a illegal(in there eyes) version
    > is getting a little out of hand here.
    > Can anyone shed some light on this?
    > Thanks.

    If you need access to the english version MS security updates, see:

    http://kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2

    For more info on how to update you OS on your own"

    http://microscum.com/comsense

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Finally a useful post by you congratulations.

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > Finally a useful post by you congratulations.

    LOL! Oh, now I can die, since now I have your congratulations!

    --

    "phil-rge-ee" <philrgeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation software.
    > Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate computer that has
    > volume license key on it provided to me from my work.
    > I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is generally
    > for businesses and that its a volume license key. No kidding........it
    > found
    > it was a volume license key because it is.
    > So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows
    > update
    > anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows updates
    > before
    > they are deployed to the rest of the users in the department. So what's
    > the
    > deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone with a volume license key must
    > have a
    > illegal(in there eyes) version is getting a little out of hand here.
    > Can anyone shed some light on this?
    > Thanks.

    Ah the joys of being considered a pirate by MS until proven innocent and
    being told one is guilty even though one is innocent. This is the worst PR
    move MS has ever made and the cost of cleaning up the mess will be far more
    than what they lose to piracy.

    Alias

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:47:44 +0200, "Alias"
    <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

    >and the cost of cleaning up the mess will be far more
    >than what they lose to piracy.

    No problem, they will just add those costs to the next version of
    their OS. You wouldn't expect someone that subscribes to the ideology
    that everyone is guilty until they prove they are innocent to actually
    absorb the costs associated with their own hair brained scams that
    have gone wrong would you?

    Regards,
    Ed

    Try validating from this site first and then go back to Windows Update
    ie installing the activex component, in preference to running the 892130
    update

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    Jon

    "phil-rge-ee" <philrgeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation software.
    > Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate computer that has
    > volume license key on it provided to me from my work.
    > I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is generally
    > for businesses and that its a volume license key. No kidding........it
    > found
    > it was a volume license key because it is.
    > So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows
    > update
    > anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows updates
    > before
    > they are deployed to the rest of the users in the department. So what's
    > the
    > deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone with a volume license key must
    > have a
    > illegal(in there eyes) version is getting a little out of hand here.
    > Can anyone shed some light on this?
    > Thanks.

    <<really *BIG* grin>>

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:47:44 +0200, "Alias"
    > <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
    >
    >>and the cost of cleaning up the mess will be far more
    >>than what they lose to piracy.
    >
    > No problem, they will just add those costs to the next version of
    > their OS. You wouldn't expect someone that subscribes to the ideology
    > that everyone is guilty until they prove they are innocent to actually
    > absorb the costs associated with their own hair brained scams that
    > have gone wrong would you?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed

    Good point.