Validation Failure?

I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation software.
Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate computer that has a
volume license key on it provided to me from my work.
I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is generally
for businesses and that its a volume license key. No kidding........it found
it was a volume license key because it is.
So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows update
anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows updates before
they are deployed to the rest of the users in the department. So what's the
deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone with a volume license key must have a
illegal(in there eyes) version is getting a little out of hand here.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks.

phil-rge-ee wrote:
> I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation software.
> Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate computer that has a
> volume license key on it provided to me from my work.
> I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is generally
> for businesses and that its a volume license key. No kidding........it found
> it was a volume license key because it is.
> So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows update
> anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows updates before
> they are deployed to the rest of the users in the department. So what's the
> deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone with a volume license key must have a
> illegal(in there eyes) version is getting a little out of hand here.
> Can anyone shed some light on this?
> Thanks.

Validation, of course, is generally applicable for the single
user since MS presumes that volume users under broad licenses
would be doing their own administration and management. But
this is a false notion since all it does is put more work on
the system administrators and techs at installing patches...
and just that. Nor am I going to roll out a massive Windows
update until I know the patches work in the test systems and
I share the same frustration as you. If this much work is
involved, it would be more satisfying to convert to Linux or
revert to Unix.

phil-rge-ee wrote:
> I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation
> software. Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate
> computer that has a volume license key on it provided to me from my
> work.
> I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is
> generally for businesses and that its a volume license key. No
> kidding........it found it was a volume license key because it is.
> So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows
> update anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows
> updates before they are deployed to the rest of the users in the
> department. So what's the deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone
> with a volume license key must have a illegal(in there eyes) version
> is getting a little out of hand here.
> Can anyone shed some light on this?
> Thanks.

If you need access to the english version MS security updates, see:

http://kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2

For more info on how to update you OS on your own"

http://microscum.com/comsense

--
Peace!
Kurt

Finally a useful post by you congratulations.

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Finally a useful post by you congratulations.

LOL! Oh, now I can die, since now I have your congratulations!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Alias

"phil-rge-ee" <philrgeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation software.
> Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate computer that has
> volume license key on it provided to me from my work.
> I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is generally
> for businesses and that its a volume license key. No kidding........it
> found
> it was a volume license key because it is.
> So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows
> update
> anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows updates
> before
> they are deployed to the rest of the users in the department. So what's
> the
> deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone with a volume license key must
> have a
> illegal(in there eyes) version is getting a little out of hand here.
> Can anyone shed some light on this?
> Thanks.

Ah the joys of being considered a pirate by MS until proven innocent and
being told one is guilty even though one is innocent. This is the worst PR
move MS has ever made and the cost of cleaning up the mess will be far more
than what they lose to piracy.

Alias

Ed

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:47:44 +0200, "Alias"
<aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

>and the cost of cleaning up the mess will be far more
>than what they lose to piracy.

No problem, they will just add those costs to the next version of
their OS. You wouldn't expect someone that subscribes to the ideology
that everyone is guilty until they prove they are innocent to actually
absorb the costs associated with their own hair brained scams that
have gone wrong would you?

Regards,
Ed

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Try validating from this site first and then go back to Windows Update
ie installing the activex component, in preference to running the 892130
update

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

Jon

"phil-rge-ee" <philrgeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I go to windows update today and it has me install the validation software.
> Ok no big deal as I have a legal key. I have a corporate computer that has
> volume license key on it provided to me from my work.
> I run the validation and it fails stating that the key I have is generally
> for businesses and that its a volume license key. No kidding........it
> found
> it was a volume license key because it is.
> So why did it fail? Are volume license people not able to use windows
> update
> anymore? I need to as this is a test pc used to test windows updates
> before
> they are deployed to the rest of the users in the department. So what's
> the
> deal? Microsofts paranoia that everyone with a volume license key must
> have a
> illegal(in there eyes) version is getting a little out of hand here.
> Can anyone shed some light on this?
> Thanks.

<<really *BIG* grin>>

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:47:44 +0200, "Alias"
> <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
>
>>and the cost of cleaning up the mess will be far more
>>than what they lose to piracy.
>
> No problem, they will just add those costs to the next version of
> their OS. You wouldn't expect someone that subscribes to the ideology
> that everyone is guilty until they prove they are innocent to actually
> absorb the costs associated with their own hair brained scams that
> have gone wrong would you?
>
> Regards,
> Ed

Good point.