Trusting this suspicious module?

pktr4

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2005
Hi,
I've been having trouble with one memory module (KINGMAX PC133 256MB); at 133 MHz, the system didn't even POST. I used only this module. I "solved" the problem by adding another module (noname 256 MB), but the system was still unstable and I got ~10000 errors in memtest86+ test#5.

Then I swapped the modules, putting the noname into slot #1 and the KINGMAX into #2 and the problems seem to be gone -- memtest86+ is happy, prime95 as well, so far (1 day) no problem.

My question is, should I trust the module now? Everything seems to be ok in this configuration, but it is certain that something is wrong with the module. Thanks!

(my system -- ABIT KT7A, Athlon 1333)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
If you don't get errors in that config, then I would guess its ok.

What may have happened is that the SPD timings in the Kingmax are too fast for the module now, but the noname's timings are looser, so the kingmax works adequately because the mobo looks at slot 1 for its spd timings. (or i could be talking out my arse...)

For me, if this was a gaming/general use (internet/email/occasional letter/etc.) PC, I'd say trust it. If I was doing critical work with it (photoshop, programming, video, etc.) I wouldn't trust it.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>