Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional

Last response: in Windows 7
October 6, 2012 12:10:52 PM

Greetings,

I just did a clean install of Win 7 Home and everything went smoothly but I have 32 gigs installed and it shows 32 but says only 16 are available. I am told this is directly because of a limitation in Win 7 home. so I have two questions:

1) is their anyway to modify Win 7 home so I can access all 32 gigs?
2) if I use an anytime upgrade to Win 7 pro will there be any issues? I have read that upgrades sometimes have unpredictable results, will that be likely even though I have a clean install? so far the only software loaded is a handful of drivers for the hardware.

your advice is most welcomed,

Don
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 12:13:12 PM

1. No
2. No issues.
Score
October 6, 2012 1:17:02 PM

I really wish this limitation was actually announced by Microsoft. I have been doing research on upgrading for weeks and this never came up. had I known I would not have bought so much RAM.

anyone interested in purchasing 16 gigs of slightly used Kingston Hyper X Blue 1600mhz? ;) 

Don
Score
Related resources
October 6, 2012 1:37:59 PM

You can use *any* valid windows key in the anytime upgrade process AFAIK, so if you can find a decent offer or student deal on professional then that would work, also with win8 around the corner, you may find some retail boxes going cheap.
Score
October 6, 2012 1:51:07 PM

Quote:
MS hides that very well as they do for the dual-socket-CPU supported in pro an up: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li [...] _windows_7

Thanks for the link. just wish I had known this a week ago. Heck I wish I had known it before I activated. at least if I had not activated I could have used this copy on a different computer (I got the OEM)
Score
October 6, 2012 1:52:56 PM

As best I know, the only bad thing about using the "upgrade anytime" option is that Microsoft might charge more than what you would spend on a full OS disk from Newegg. Check the price difference before you make a decision.

I've seen a lot of people buying large amounts of ram lately because ram is so cheap, but unless there is a specific need for it there is no reason to buy it. It some cases it can even slow the computer down, besides using more electricity. The only reason I have bought Win7 Pro is because I have a couple dual socket computers. Otherwise i stick with Win7 Premium.
Score
October 6, 2012 2:03:31 PM

Quote:
I've seen a lot of people buying large amounts of ram lately because ram is so cheap, but unless there is a specific need for it there is no reason to buy it. It some cases it can even slow the computer down, besides using more electricity. The only reason I have bought Win7 Pro is because I have a couple dual socket computers. Otherwise i stick with Win7 Premium.

I know and I am guilty as charged. I probably will never need more then 16 gigs as most of what I do is photo and graphic design work but they had a sale on the 32 gig kit so I figured what the heck. right now its a matter of principle. I hate having something I cant use. I just wish on Microsoft's website this limitation was listed when they show the chart comparing home to pro to ultimate. would have saved me about $70. now I have 16 gigs I can currently do nothing with unless I upgrade.

does anyone know how much the Anytime upgrade from Premium to Pro is?

Don
Score

Best solution

October 6, 2012 2:33:30 PM

DHFF said:
Quote:

I know and I am guilty as charged. I probably will never need more then 16 gigs as most of what I do is photo and graphic design work but they had a sale on the 32 gig kit so I figured what the heck. right now its a matter of principle. I hate having something I cant use. I just wish on Microsoft's website this limitation was listed when they show the chart comparing home to pro to ultimate. would have saved me about $70. now I have 16 gigs I can currently do nothing with unless I upgrade.

does anyone know how much the Anytime upgrade from Premium to Pro is?

Don

I found this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

So the cost to use the Anytime Upgrade appears to be $130. I've often seen sales at Newegg of Win7 Pro for less money. Further advantages to buying a disk from Newegg is that you effectively have two licenses in case you every want to build another computer and you have a physical disk in case you ever need to reload the OS for any reason.
October 6, 2012 2:51:28 PM

Thanks to both Sailer and Area51, it bothers me that had I known last week I could have just spend $40 more and not had problems. now I have to come out of pocket at least $90 more just to get full use of my system. realistically I dont know that I want to do that. I already spent more then I wanted on this build. I might just pull the extra RAM and run it at 16 gigs.

Thanks again for all the help.

Don
Score
October 6, 2012 3:09:11 PM

Best answer selected by DHFF.
Score
a c 416 $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 4:08:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!