Closed Solved

Upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional

Greetings,

I just did a clean install of Win 7 Home and everything went smoothly but I have 32 gigs installed and it shows 32 but says only 16 are available. I am told this is directly because of a limitation in Win 7 home. so I have two questions:

1) is their anyway to modify Win 7 home so I can access all 32 gigs?
2) if I use an anytime upgrade to Win 7 pro will there be any issues? I have read that upgrades sometimes have unpredictable results, will that be likely even though I have a clean install? so far the only software loaded is a handful of drivers for the hardware.

your advice is most welcomed,

Don
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading windows home premium professional
  1. 1. No
    2. No issues.
  2. I really wish this limitation was actually announced by Microsoft. I have been doing research on upgrading for weeks and this never came up. had I known I would not have bought so much RAM.

anyone interested in purchasing 16 gigs of slightly used Kingston Hyper X Blue 1600mhz? ;)

Don
  3. You can use *any* valid windows key in the anytime upgrade process AFAIK, so if you can find a decent offer or student deal on professional then that would work, also with win8 around the corner, you may find some retail boxes going cheap.
  4. MS hides that very well as they do for the dual-socket-CPU supported in pro an up: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7
  5. Quote:
    MS hides that very well as they do for the dual-socket-CPU supported in pro an up: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li [...] _windows_7

Thanks for the link. just wish I had known this a week ago. Heck I wish I had known it before I activated. at least if I had not activated I could have used this copy on a different computer (I got the OEM)
  6. As best I know, the only bad thing about using the "upgrade anytime" option is that Microsoft might charge more than what you would spend on a full OS disk from Newegg. Check the price difference before you make a decision.

I've seen a lot of people buying large amounts of ram lately because ram is so cheap, but unless there is a specific need for it there is no reason to buy it. It some cases it can even slow the computer down, besides using more electricity. The only reason I have bought Win7 Pro is because I have a couple dual socket computers. Otherwise i stick with Win7 Premium.
  7. Quote:
    I've seen a lot of people buying large amounts of ram lately because ram is so cheap, but unless there is a specific need for it there is no reason to buy it. It some cases it can even slow the computer down, besides using more electricity. The only reason I have bought Win7 Pro is because I have a couple dual socket computers. Otherwise i stick with Win7 Premium.

I know and I am guilty as charged. I probably will never need more then 16 gigs as most of what I do is photo and graphic design work but they had a sale on the 32 gig kit so I figured what the heck. right now its a matter of principle. I hate having something I cant use. I just wish on Microsoft's website this limitation was listed when they show the chart comparing home to pro to ultimate. would have saved me about $70. now I have 16 gigs I can currently do nothing with unless I upgrade.

does anyone know how much the Anytime upgrade from Premium to Pro is?

Don
  8. Best answer
    DHFF said:
    Quote:

I know and I am guilty as charged. I probably will never need more then 16 gigs as most of what I do is photo and graphic design work but they had a sale on the 32 gig kit so I figured what the heck. right now its a matter of principle. I hate having something I cant use. I just wish on Microsoft's website this limitation was listed when they show the chart comparing home to pro to ultimate. would have saved me about $70. now I have 16 gigs I can currently do nothing with unless I upgrade.

does anyone know how much the Anytime upgrade from Premium to Pro is?

Don

I found this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-upgrade-anytime-pricing-question-why-so/5a05e526-eb32-487f-b299-9eb8b2cc0917

So the cost to use the Anytime Upgrade appears to be $130. I've often seen sales at Newegg of Win7 Pro for less money. Further advantages to buying a disk from Newegg is that you effectively have two licenses in case you every want to build another computer and you have a physical disk in case you ever need to reload the OS for any reason.
  9. Thanks to both Sailer and Area51, it bothers me that had I known last week I could have just spend $40 more and not had problems. now I have to come out of pocket at least $90 more just to get full use of my system. realistically I dont know that I want to do that. I already spent more then I wanted on this build. I might just pull the extra RAM and run it at 16 gigs.

Thanks again for all the help.

Don
  10. Best answer selected by DHFF.
  11. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Clean Install