Sorry for being a pain but PSU's...:P

widjerd

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Hi, i have read through countless pages of PSU troubles and solutions and i basically wanted some feedback about my proposed solution.

I have a DELL dimension 5150 with a 305W power supply with the following:

untitledqw4.jpg

I bought this computer in february of this year, it has 1gb of DDR2 and a crappy x600 (the reason for wanting to upgrade)

Now i was going for a x850/x800 and after looking at the ATI PSU list i came up with this..

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~Q76271~/product.htm?affiliate=2020

Now basically my question is:

1. Is my existing PSU/Mobo dell proprietry?
2. Am i incorrect about anything?
3. is my dell PSU essentially, upgradable to the specified PSU.

Thanks in advance

edit - after searching i discovered it is ATXv2.2 pinout, but i am instead going to attempt to stick an x800gt(o) in. My friend has a 5100 with same PSU, 2gb ddr2 and an x800gt so it will be fine i believe. Any input still welcome

kinneer

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Hi,

Not direct advice but I did receive a PM from a member here who replaced the PSU in his Dell 5150. He mentioned there was a clip which holds the PSU in place but it is not needed as the four fixing screws should be sufficient.

I am about to attempt to replace one myself. I would be interested in hearing your experience from it. If you could post the result, that would be great.

Kinneer.

boogityboo04

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I just replaced mine w/ a 500w one from Ultra, it was a snap and all I needed to do was snip a bit of metal off the edge of the bracket so that the power switch would fit.