SP2 upgrade- now Explorer crashes on startup even in Safe ..

terry

Rather than using the original CD and doing a repair install and
starting all over, is there a quicker fix for this issue?

--
Terry

***Reply Note***

Malke

Terry wrote:

> Rather than using the original CD and doing a repair install and
> starting all over, is there a quicker fix for this issue?

What issue? If you were replying to a previous post, you should have
kept in the same thread. If this is a new issue, you haven't given us
any information about your computer so you can get focused help.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

terry

On 7/30/2005 9:44 AM On a whim, Malke pounded out on the keyboard

> Terry wrote:
>
>> Rather than using the original CD and doing a repair install and
>> starting all over, is there a quicker fix for this issue?
>>

> What issue? If you were replying to a previous post, you should have
> kept in the same thread. If this is a new issue, you haven't given us
> any information about your computer so you can get focused help.
>
> How to make a good newsgroup post:
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> Malke

The issue of Explorer crashing after installing SP2. I can bring up Task
Manager and launch Explorer but the same thing happens, it crashes.

It sounded clear to me. A laptop had the original XP w/sp1. Upgraded it
to SP2 and on final restart Explorer crashes after log in leaving only
the Desktop. Same thing on Safe Mode. Is this any clearer? Rather than
using the CD with the original XP and performing a repair install, is
there a simpler way of fixing Explorer.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***

Malke

Terry wrote:

> On 7/30/2005 9:44 AM On a whim, Malke pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Terry wrote:
>>
>>> Rather than using the original CD and doing a repair install and
>>> starting all over, is there a quicker fix for this issue?
>>>

>> What issue? If you were replying to a previous post, you should have
>> kept in the same thread. If this is a new issue, you haven't given us
>> any information about your computer so you can get focused help.
>>
>> How to make a good newsgroup post:
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> Malke
>
> The issue of Explorer crashing after installing SP2. I can bring up
> Task Manager and launch Explorer but the same thing happens, it
> crashes.
>
> It sounded clear to me. A laptop had the original XP w/sp1. Upgraded
> it to SP2 and on final restart Explorer crashes after log in leaving
> only the Desktop. Same thing on Safe Mode. Is this any clearer? Rather
> than using the CD with the original XP and performing a repair
> install, is there a simpler way of fixing Explorer.

Well, let's see - in this post you tell us you have a laptop and what
operating system was running on it. But of course we don't know *what*
laptop make/model or the state of the computer when you installed SP2.
Was the computer 100% spyware/virus free? If you think so, what did you
do to determine this? Did you check on the OEM's website to see if
there were any patches you needed to install *before* SP2 and if so,
did you install them (HP desktops have around 6 of these, for
instance)? Does the laptop mftr. list any known issues with their
machines and SP2? Did you install SP2 from a download or a cd, or did
your machine get automatically updated? If you installed it yourself,
were there any error messages when installing? And last, but not least,
what have you already done to troubleshoot so we don't give advice that
repeats what you've previously tried?

You see, it isn't that simple. Remember that none of us can see your
computer from here. We have no way of knowing anything about you (your
skill level) and your computer unless you tell us.

There is no general "issue of Explorer crashing after installing SP2".
There is a problem on *your* computer and if you want focused
troubleshooting, you have to help by providing details.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

terry

On 7/30/2005 11:34 AM On a whim, Malke pounded out on the keyboard

> Terry wrote:

>>> What issue? If you were replying to a previous post, you should have
>>> kept in the same thread. If this is a new issue, you haven't given us
>>> any information about your computer so you can get focused help.
>>>
>>> How to make a good newsgroup post:
>>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>>
>>> Malke
>> The issue of Explorer crashing after installing SP2. I can bring up
>> Task Manager and launch Explorer but the same thing happens, it
>> crashes.
>>
>> It sounded clear to me. A laptop had the original XP w/sp1. Upgraded
>> it to SP2 and on final restart Explorer crashes after log in leaving
>> only the Desktop. Same thing on Safe Mode. Is this any clearer? Rather
>> than using the CD with the original XP and performing a repair
>> install, is there a simpler way of fixing Explorer.
>>

> Well, let's see - in this post you tell us you have a laptop and what
> operating system was running on it. But of course we don't know *what*
> laptop make/model or the state of the computer when you installed SP2.
> Was the computer 100% spyware/virus free? If you think so, what did you
> do to determine this? Did you check on the OEM's website to see if
> there were any patches you needed to install *before* SP2 and if so,
> did you install them (HP desktops have around 6 of these, for
> instance)? Does the laptop mftr. list any known issues with their
> machines and SP2? Did you install SP2 from a download or a cd, or did
> your machine get automatically updated? If you installed it yourself,
> were there any error messages when installing? And last, but not least,
> what have you already done to troubleshoot so we don't give advice that
> repeats what you've previously tried?
>
> You see, it isn't that simple. Remember that none of us can see your
> computer from here. We have no way of knowing anything about you (your
> skill level) and your computer unless you tell us.
>
> There is no general "issue of Explorer crashing after installing SP2".
> There is a problem on *your* computer and if you want focused
> troubleshooting, you have to help by providing details.
>
> Malke

Thanks. In the time it took to do this I just performed a repair install.

I've seen dozens of issues with SP2 but never this one. Most just won't
boot at all. I thought a broader base of users would possibly have run
across this one before also. But I guess I was wrong.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***