IE setting in XP has me baffled

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I just did a fresh install of XP Pro (SP 2) on a dell system. I've got a
Backup Admin account and a limited User Account "John". Everything is
peachy with the Backup Admin account but when I log on w/ the Limited User
account, IE is not working as it should.

When I visit sites like Yahoo and click on a link, (or any site with a link
for that matter), the page does not refresh at all. In fact, I can't even
do a search on Google. I punch in the text, and click the 'Search' button
and nothing happens! Similarly, when I try access my Yahoo webmail, i get
an error message something to the effect: "Cannot access website. If you
are seeing this message, your browser settings are preventing you from
proceeding."

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm running Norton Systemworks 2005
Zone Alarm v5.5 Free edition
Spybot Search & Destory v1.4
Ad Aware SE Personal v.1.06
Spyblaster v3.4

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

OK, here's a quick update:

I deleted the limited user account and created a new limited user account
called "John2" for testing purposes. This time instead of using the File &
settings transfer wizard in XP, I manually setup the user account. Things
are a little better but still fubared.

I still cannot click on any links that redirect me to another website. I've
tried Yahoo, MSN, Google - none of the links work.

When I log in with my username & password on Yahoo's webmail, the error
message I see is:

"If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from
automatically redirecting to a new URL.
Please click here to continue."

When I click on the link, nothing happens.

"John" <x@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I just did a fresh install of XP Pro (SP 2) on a dell system. I've got a
>Backup Admin account and a limited User Account "John". Everything is
>peachy with the Backup Admin account but when I log on w/ the Limited User
>account, IE is not working as it should.
>
> When I visit sites like Yahoo and click on a link, (or any site with a
> link for that matter), the page does not refresh at all. In fact, I can't
> even do a search on Google. I punch in the text, and click the 'Search'
> button and nothing happens! Similarly, when I try access my Yahoo
> webmail, i get an error message something to the effect: "Cannot access
> website. If you are seeing this message, your browser settings are
> preventing you from proceeding."
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> I'm running Norton Systemworks 2005
> Zone Alarm v5.5 Free edition
> Spybot Search & Destory v1.4
> Ad Aware SE Personal v.1.06
> Spyblaster v3.4

"John" <x@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I just did a fresh install of XP Pro (SP 2) on a dell system. I've got a
> Backup Admin account and a limited User Account "John". Everything is
> peachy with the Backup Admin account but when I log on w/ the Limited User
> account, IE is not working as it should.
>
> When I visit sites like Yahoo and click on a link, (or any site with a link
> for that matter), the page does not refresh at all. In fact, I can't even
> do a search on Google. I punch in the text, and click the 'Search' button
> and nothing happens! Similarly, when I try access my Yahoo webmail, i get
> an error message something to the effect: "Cannot access website. If you
> are seeing this message, your browser settings are preventing you from
> proceeding."
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> I'm running Norton Systemworks 2005
> Zone Alarm v5.5 Free edition
> Spybot Search & Destory v1.4
> Ad Aware SE Personal v.1.06
> Spyblaster v3.4

Check out Internet Options, from Control Panel, General, Temporary File
Settings (?), and see if there is anything sey wrong in there. Good luck.

Try this.

Right click on the Internet Explorer icon | Properties | Security Tab
|Highlight the Internet | Default button | Apply | OK

Try it again

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OQgGwqSlFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
John <x@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> OK, here's a quick update:
>
> I deleted the limited user account and created a new limited user account
> called "John2" for testing purposes. This time instead of using the File
> & settings transfer wizard in XP, I manually setup the user account.
> Things are a little better but still fubared.
>
> I still cannot click on any links that redirect me to another website.
> I've tried Yahoo, MSN, Google - none of the links work.
>
> When I log in with my username & password on Yahoo's webmail, the error
> message I see is:
>
> "If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from
> automatically redirecting to a new URL.
> Please click here to continue."
>
> When I click on the link, nothing happens.
>

> "John" <x@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I just did a fresh install of XP Pro (SP 2) on a dell system. I've got a
>> Backup Admin account and a limited User Account "John". Everything is
>> peachy with the Backup Admin account but when I log on w/ the Limited
>> User account, IE is not working as it should.
>>
>> When I visit sites like Yahoo and click on a link, (or any site with a
>> link for that matter), the page does not refresh at all. In fact, I
>> can't even do a search on Google. I punch in the text, and click the
>> 'Search' button and nothing happens! Similarly, when I try access my
>> Yahoo webmail, i get an error message something to the effect: "Cannot
>> access website. If you are seeing this message, your browser settings
>> are preventing you from proceeding."
>>
>> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>>
>> I'm running Norton Systemworks 2005
>> Zone Alarm v5.5 Free edition
>> Spybot Search & Destory v1.4
>> Ad Aware SE Personal v.1.06
>> Spyblaster v3.4

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> Try this.
>
> Right click on the Internet Explorer icon | Properties | Security Tab
> |Highlight the Internet | Default button | Apply | OK
>
> Try it again
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Wes, I tried your suggestion above and still no joy. Any other suggestions?
I'm completely baffled why this would happen with my limited user account
and not with my Backup Admin account.

kelly

Hi John,

In addition, if you are running Norton, etc. check the appropriate settings.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"John" <x@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I just did a fresh install of XP Pro (SP 2) on a dell system. I've got a
>Backup Admin account and a limited User Account "John". Everything is
>peachy with the Backup Admin account but when I log on w/ the Limited User
>account, IE is not working as it should.
>
> When I visit sites like Yahoo and click on a link, (or any site with a
> link for that matter), the page does not refresh at all. In fact, I can't
> even do a search on Google. I punch in the text, and click the 'Search'
> button and nothing happens! Similarly, when I try access my Yahoo
> webmail, i get an error message something to the effect: "Cannot access
> website. If you are seeing this message, your browser settings are
> preventing you from proceeding."
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> I'm running Norton Systemworks 2005
> Zone Alarm v5.5 Free edition
> Spybot Search & Destory v1.4
> Ad Aware SE Personal v.1.06
> Spyblaster v3.4

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Wes, I tried your suggestion and still no joy. I'm all ears cuz this thing
really has be baffled.

> Try this.
>
> Right click on the Internet Explorer icon | Properties | Security Tab
> |Highlight the Internet | Default button | Apply | OK
>
> Try it again
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

John,

Running Internet Explorer with a limited user account and some sort of
scum/spy/malware present can cause strange things to happen.

Scan your computer for spyware.

If you need a scan right now.

Follow the instructions!
THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

1a) CWShredder ver. 2.13 direct download:
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

2) SpywareBlaster
[[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

4a) HijackThis (direct download)
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) Ad-aware SE Personal

-----

HijackThis log tutorial
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

HijackThis Log Tutorial
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

Spybot More Help
http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/index2.php

HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OVYER6klFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
John <x@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes, I tried your suggestion and still no joy. I'm all ears cuz this
> thing really has be baffled.

>> Try this.
>>
>> Right click on the Internet Explorer icon | Properties | Security Tab
>>> Highlight the Internet | Default button | Apply | OK
>>
>> Try it again
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Wes,

I've been running most of those utilities you mentioned for the past several
years. I update my def. on a regular basis and had little reason to suspect
it was malware but since you suggested it, I thought I would do a full
system scan.

I scanned the system with Ad Aware/ Spybot SD/ A squared/ & MS Antispyware.
MS Antispyware did find a trojan horse which it successfully removed from
the system. (On a side note, it's quite disappointing that my NSW 2005 did
not detect this particular trojan horse during a full system scan).

The bottom line is that it's still not fixed - even with the trojan horse
removed. I'm sure it's a virus/ malware related. I used True Image to
restore an image I made just right after I did my fresh install and applied
all my MS updates from the Microsoft website. The limited account works
just fine. So sometime between then and upto now - seems like my system was
infected with some type of mysterious virus/ spyware and none of the
utilities I use are able to fix the problem.

I did run HiJack This! just for shits & grins and it did not turn up
anything unusual in the scan as I recognized every single process listed in
the log. At this point, the most feasible option seems to be to restore the
image I made and slowly one by one - re-install all my programs. I do have
several other partitions on this HDD (200 GB) so I'll have to do a full scan
to see if the virus is perhaps hiding on those other partitions. *sigh*

These viruses/ spyware are relentless!!!

> John,
>
> Running Internet Explorer with a limited user account and some sort of
> scum/spy/malware present can cause strange things to happen.
>
> Scan your computer for spyware.
>
> If you need a scan right now.
>
> Follow the instructions!
> THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

John,

> These viruses/ spyware are relentless!!!

Indeed.

You might consider Silent Runners and/or Autoruns. All both of these do is
show what starts. You will be amazed. I was. HijackThis is a fine program
and I run fairly often, but it only touches the surface.

[[“Silent Runners” is not an anti-virus, an anti-trojan, or a spyware
scanner. It only pinpoints how programs start up — it does not scan the
system to identify every trace of malware. The text file it creates can be
removed for study or stored as a benchmark. ]]
Silent Runners - script documentation
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_thescript.html

Silent Runners - Download
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_download.html

Autoruns has a prettier GUI.

[[This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting
locations of any startup monitor (A starting list of auto-run locations was
obtained from David Solomon's "Windows Internals" seminar), shows you what
programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you
the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones
in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can
configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell
extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications,
auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig
utility bundled with Windows Me and XP. ]]
Sysinternals Freeware - Autoruns
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.