Imperial Guard Recommendations

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 15, 2005 5:21:09 PM

One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

--Ty
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:21:10 PM

Ty wrote:
> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
> Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
> recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
> nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
> the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
> suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
>
> --Ty

Tell him not to pay full price form GW, order from the The Warstore
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:39:00 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
>about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
>Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
>recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
>nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
>the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
>suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
>
>--Ty

You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".

Thank you.
-Erik

What the heck is this place coming to, anyway?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 7:08:46 PM

Ty wrote:
> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army.

Wow, that's a lot of work.

> I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask
> for recommendations on what purchases he should make

OK. IG is based around little guys and big tanks. Take plenty of each.

> (he'll pay full price at a nearby GW store).

Nooo!!!

Get that man to Neal at the Warstore!

> He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
> the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads.

Fortunately, IG tends not to have a lot of exotic doodads. Anyhow, I'd
suggest something like this:

5-man Command, Chimera
+6-man Heavy squad

5-man Veteran squad, Chimera

5-man Command, Chimera
+3x 10-man squads

5-man Command
+2x 10-man squads

10-man AF squad, Chimera
10-man AF squad, Chimera

2 Hellhounds
1 Russ
2 Demolishers

The Demolishers, Hellhounds, Veterans, and AF squads provide some
mobility as an Armoured spearhead. The rest provide standard fire support.

Get 2 Heavy Weapon Boxes and 5 Infantry Platoon boxes, using spare
infantry to crew spare Heavy Weapons.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
July 15, 2005 7:48:10 PM

In article <9LOBe.205$Q7.17@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>, Ty,
tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
> Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
> recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
> nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
> the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
> suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

Unless your friend *REALLY* likes the local Hobby store owner,
don't encourage him/her to pay full price. GW prices = wallet rape.
Seriously, after the latest price increase, on top of last year's price
increase, on top of the nearly 20% price in crease of 3 to 4 years ago,
paying full price says you're either in a huge hurry, or very internet
unsavvy. If you want to support a great guy who has tremendous customer
service and offers a good discount as well as free shipping on larger
orders - then try Neal C. at...

www.thewarstore.com

Since GW (mostly) killed off online US stores, your friend will have to
order via phone.

If your friend isn't totally Pro US and wants to save a bit more, then
try...

http://www.gc-minis.com/

out of Canada for a general 30% off GW items and at times an even better
total discount when the exchange rate is even more favorable.

Myrmidon

--
Unpainted models gives you power over others? <looking around
apartment>

I AM A GODDESS !!!!!

-- Janet Quick

RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/

Or...

July 15, 2005 10:43:04 PM

In article <q3tfd1tejajph3lb8anrme5fatntne8rm3@4ax.com>, Erik Setzer,
erks@comcast.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> >about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
> >Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
> >recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
> >nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
> >the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
> >suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
> >
> >--Ty
> >

> You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
> Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
> tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".
>
> Thank you.
> -Erik

You forget Erik, just like he knows *EVERYTHING* about world
history, Ty knows all about RGMW...

In article <tjGBe.39$zh7.8@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>, Ty,
tybeardspam@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> > See, it's things like this that will get you in trouble. You
> > obviously haven't been around RGMW long.

> Only about 7-8 years.

He's like Ranter, but far far less amusing.

Myrmidon

--
Insane Ranter: "What's latin for 'Let the reader beware'?"

KMarkusV: "Caveat Ranter."

****

César Viscasillas: "I love the Empire. It´s the best! GO EMPIRE,GO!"

The Blue Raja: "Jesus, it's a Spanish 'Ranter'. We're in trouble now."
--

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

July 15, 2005 11:04:52 PM

"Erik Setzer" <erks@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:

>>One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
>>about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
>>Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
>>recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at
>>nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
>>the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
>>suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

> You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
> Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
> tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".

Ah, yes. Forgot that there was another Warhammer...

--Ty
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:31:45 AM

Hey Myr...

RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)

That don't work. Just use http://www.rgmw.org/

janet
--
Nothing in this world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and a
conscientious stupidity.

"Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
> a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for

WWW.CHAOSMAILORDER.COM
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 4:01:30 AM

It was a cold day in September when Helicon_One entered the world pub known
as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> > Tell him not to pay full price form GW, order from the The Warstore
>
> Seconded. RRP = bad. Discounts are nice, lots on eBay are worth keeping an
> eye out for too.

Unless of course they are doing it to support a local brick and mortar store
that just happens to carry GW products but is not a GW store. In that case
he SHOULD pay full price to help support his local game shop!

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:33:38 AM

In article <kEXBe.968$9A2.829@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>, Chucky,
admin@titansguild.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

> "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> > about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
> > a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
>

> WWW.CHAOSMAILORDER.COM

They've gotten good recommendations here, but I've never
personally dealt with them. Anyone know what, if any, kind of discount
they're offering?

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

July 16, 2005 3:09:14 PM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
> spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
> army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
> ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
> full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
> getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
> doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
> forwarded.

This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why not
have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
Troopers army.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

"Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said
>
>> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
>> spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
>> army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
>> ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
>> full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
>> getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
>> doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
>> forwarded.
>
> This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why
> not
> have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
> Troopers army.

Great thought. That is what I am doing myself for my Steel Legion Army. I
am also seeing if I can give some stats to the CHAS as well as the Marauder
and Chickenhawk. I am also waiting for their version of the dropship and
retrival boats as well as the TAC. I have been playing with molds and resin
and I have done 4 resin Humvees which seem to work for the IG. I will give
them Stats a little similar to the Sentinel but they can only carry 5 troops
or one Heavy weapons team.

Berto
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:17:00 PM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

> He's like Ranter, but far far less amusing.

The thing I've noticed about Ty which seperates him from the great mass of
Usenet retards is that you're civil to him he's civil to you. So Myr if
you're letting him bug you then I'm afraid you're entering yourself into
the special olympics.

The fact that Ty is able to express a different opinion to your own here is
a good thing, and you shouldn't be getting bitchy about. If you need
something to make noise about I'd suggest what's currently happening in
Zimbabwe would be a much better use of your time.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:17:15 PM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Janet Quick said

> RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)

That's Guiness Black if anyone was wondering what shade of black.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:49:45 PM

It was a cold day in September when Robert Singers entered the world pub
known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Janet Quick said
>
> > RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)
>
> That's Guiness Black if anyone was wondering what shade of black.

Hey! Leave that offshoot of my ancestors out of this!

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:03:57 PM

Robert Singers <rsing...@finger.hotmail.com> said:

8<Snip>8

> that should be hair on your nuts.  Start acting like it.

Haha, you fool!

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders,

the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia",

but only slightly less well known is this:

"Never get involved in a flame war with Myrmidon!"

Ahahahahaha! [Croak]

Playa

--

[Ducks]
Anonymous

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said
[snip]

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c592...

--
Rob "need I say more" Singers
RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:10:24 AM

In article <Xns9695E1901447rsingers@IP-Hidden>, Robert Singers,
rsingers@finger.hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said
> [snip]
> > Pot, kettle, black Rob? I seem to recall you bitching about
> > things rather trivial more than once yourself. Ever recall me telling
> > you not to be bitchy about your own personal pet peeves? No? Odd how
> > that works, isn't it?
>
> http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c592...

So, this would be Ty?

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463affe...

Myr :)

--

> http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c592...

You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll be
forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel humper".
Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.

--

-smithdoerr
Anonymous

It was a cold day in September when smithdoerr entered the world pub known
as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c592...
>
> You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll be
> forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
> some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel humper".
> Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
> does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.

If it's a dead weasel would that make him a necrolunoterrothizing weasel
humber?

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:10:26 AM

"Jim M" <hnjcomics@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It was a cold day in September when smithdoerr entered the
> world pub known
> as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

>> You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll
>> be
>> forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
>> some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel
>> humper".
>> Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
>> does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.
>>

> If it's a dead weasel would that make him a
> necrolunoterrothizing weasel
> humber?

Don't ask questions, unless you're a lunoterrothizing weasel
humper.

--

-smithdoerr
Anonymous

In article <1121565837.506993.107860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Playa, hurlgen40k@aol.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

> Robert Singers <rsing...@finger.hotmail.com> said:
>
> 8<Snip>8
>
> > that should be hair on your nuts.  Start acting like it.
>

> Haha, you fool!
>
> You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of
> which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia"
>

> but only slightly less well known is this: "Never get involved in a
> flame war with Myrmidon!"
>
> Ahahahahaha! [Croak]
>
> [Ducks]
>
> Playa

Like any long married couple - from time to time Rob and I just
have to look at each other and say "Honey, I love you very much, but not
right now."

Myr ;)

P.S. I fully agree with your and Doc Rock's assessment that an empty
hard point is not a weapon of any sort in your HK thread - someone was
(wrongly) trying to weasel out of a dice roll result that they didn't
like.

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

July 17, 2005 4:19:51 PM

Jim M wrote:

> Did you miss the post that pointed out that the Germans had a working
> computer by 1938? It was destroyed during the allied bombing, but that
> still makes even the earlier computer that I had previously pointed out
> an incorrect statement.

Is it incorrect? the Zuse machine, as per the wiki at
http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/History_of_computing_h...
-------
Working in isolation in Nazi Germany, Konrad Zuse started construction
in 1936 of his first Z-series calculators featuring memory and
(initially limited) programmability. Zuse's purely mechanical, but
already binary
Z1, finished in 1938, never worked reliably due to problems with the
precision of parts.

Zuse's subsequent machine, the Z3, was finished in 1941. It was based
on telephone relays and did work satisfactorily.
------

So maybe the ABC does get the nod, just depends what you need in a
machine to be called 'first computer'

does that the ABC, lacking a stored program, but all electronic
'better' than the Zuse Z3 that had a stored program, but electro-
mechanical in nature?

**
mike
**
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:07:24 PM

It was a cold day in September when Ty entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> You appear to have lost situational awareness. My "opening salvo" was a flip
> comment that we invented the computer and discovered penicillin. I was
> correct on the first point (though not on the details) and incorrect on the
> second one. I corrected the incorrect statement in the next post. So your
> characterization is inaccurate, though I have no idea if the error was due
> to malice or mistake.

Did you miss the post that pointed out that the Germans had a working
computer by 1938? It was destroyed during the allied bombing, but that still
makes even the earlier computer that I had previously pointed out an
incorrect statement. While I knew of the computer I hadn't realized that it
was developed so early on, and simply discounted it while doing a search for
the earliest operating computer.

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
July 17, 2005 7:28:43 PM

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message

>...If so, then
> who gives a rat's ass if I or anyone else here flame him for being a
> knucklehead.

Well, it's really more of a weak smolder than a flame.

You might want to consider the studies that show that people with low IQs
overestimate their own competence to a greater extent than smarter people.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in solving it...

> ...pointed out that Ty's reasoning is typical ignorant ethnocentric
> malarkey.

More accurately, you idiots have baldly asserted this. But you seem
curiously unable to identify the actual assertions that you allege are
inaccurate (other than in the flippant "accomplishments" posts...)

> Is literacy not a strong point for you today Rob,

Rather ironic, given your inability to accurately characterize written
posts.

> simply found it amusing that Erik is pointing out tagging to a "7-8
> year" veteran of RGMW like our man Ty proclaims himself to be.

Uh, why would anyone *falsely* claim to have spend 7-8 years interactive
with buffoons like you? And again, you seem somewhat fact-challenged.

--Ty
July 17, 2005 9:44:25 PM

"Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

> > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
> > spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
> > army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
> > ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
> > full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
> > getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
> > doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
> > forwarded.

> This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why
not
> have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
> Troopers army.

We discussed those options, but he really likes the look of the GW stuff. We
played 40K RT and 2nd Ed many years ago with lots of non-GW stuff, so it
isn't that he's a fanboy. He just likes the GW stuff. I suspect that he will
eventually get the ST stuff as well ... how does it compare pricewise to GW?

--Ty
July 17, 2005 9:56:03 PM

"Berto" <Albertocarro@msn.com> wrote in message

> My issue, if you haven't noticed about me
> after all of this time is that I am a person that at least tries to get a
> middle of the ground or and acknowledgement of the position(as most of us
> here), but not so blind and deaf as to see that a point of view becomes
> extremist I move off.

There's nothing wrong with considering both sides of an argument. At the
very least, it lets you rebut the incorrect side faster. But beware of
becoming so enchanted with being a "moderate" that this becomes your sole
objective. In my experience, there are usually valid points on each side of
a contentious issue. *But* there is usually a right side and a wrong side.
Or, if you prefer, one position is usually stronger (and not infrequently,
*much* stronger) than the other one. I see nothing admirable or desirable in
treating a very weak argument as being equal to a very strong one. And that
is the danger by becoming overly enchanted with the moderate angle. Being
seen as "moderate" and "fair" becomes the goal, rather than determining
which position is true, stronger, etc.

I would also caution you against *assuming* that an apparent "extremist" has
not considered the other side's arguments fairly. (Of course, I have done
this myself, so no stone throwing intended). You may be surprised to find
that your assumption is inaccurate and only after wasting a lot of energy.

For that matter, I am not comfortable with your *apparent* notion that
anyone with a strongly-held opinion is an "extremist". He may very well be
one, but that's like saying that anyone who wears feldgrau colored clothes
is a Nazi. Of course, I may have read more into your posts than was
warranted.

I am also skeptical of the idea that there are "sides" to a factual
assertion. In its simplest form, a factual assertion is either correct or
incorrect. Even more complicated facts are either accurately relayed or not.
Of course, how much those facts should be weighed is a question of reason
and logic, and it may well have many valid "sides".

> Again, I apologize to Ty and to you.

Apology accepted, but there was no need to apologize to me. I took no
offense from anything you said. Still, it was a classy thing to do. So in
the spirit of the moment, let me apologize to you for getting a bit sharp in
my posts. I pretty fanatically adhere to a "no first use" policy on insults.
But sometimes, I get a little pissier in my tone than is warranted. If I've
done that to you (I'm not denying it, but pissiness is subjective), then my
apologies.

--Ty
July 17, 2005 10:26:06 PM

"John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
"Helicon_One" <shiny*blue*thing@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D b8onq$afv$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
"Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
"Berto" <Albertocarro@msn.com> wrote in message

Thanks gents for the suggestions. I've forwarded them to him.

Also, thanks to those who suggested GW discount stores. He probably won't be
interested in them, but I was.

--Ty
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:47:53 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Berto said
[snips]
> And I won't find Ty's hometown to try to blow him up. That statement
> needs to chill down. I got your message. You are not of the stuff that
> gets on a soap box. It is not you. It does not become you. I guess
> that is my message. Again, I apologize to Ty and to you.

Thanks Berto. I'm glad someone understands my point.

I like to think it's a bit like that famous quote from Churchill "When
you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

And funnily enough when I did I quick search to make sure I was quoting
it right I found this ...

"Everybody is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its
being extolled, but some people’s idea of it is that they are free to
say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an
outrage."

.... which I appreciate the irony of.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
July 18, 2005 1:47:54 AM

> I like to think it's a bit like that famous quote from Churchill "When
> you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

> And funnily enough when I did I quick search to make sure I was quoting
> it right I found this ...

> "Everybody is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its
> being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to
> say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an
> outrage."

> ... which I appreciate the irony of.

Being a bit of a Churchill admirer, and a free speech near-absolutist, I
like both of those.

--Ty
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:30:20 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said
[snip]
> I am also skeptical of the idea that there are "sides" to a factual
> assertion. In its simplest form, a factual assertion is either correct
> or incorrect. Even more complicated facts are either accurately
> relayed or not. Of course, how much those facts should be weighed is a
> question of reason and logic, and it may well have many valid "sides".

In the context you're arguing facts are thinly seperated from fiction,
it's the biggest problem with History and Ethnography.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:31:11 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

> You know, it's pretty funny reading the above comment from a guy
> who's yelling "I call Bullshit Moderator Jimi" repeatedly - because
> your current behavior is EXACTLY what *Jimi* DID DO.

Ahhhhhhh no. Your behaviour is exactly what Jimi did. There is a
difference. Let's look at this thread so far, I'll paraphrase for
brevity and humour

Ty: My friend wants some little soldiers.
Erik: Tag Tag Tag Tag
Myr: LOL Ty is a dick who should know better.
Rob: Don't be a wanker, we're talking about little soldiers.
Myr: Damn you Singers your're from a silly little Island and don't know
nothing. Ty is a crazy arse bonkers Texican and I hate him and his
little dog. He shouldn't post here.
Rob: Stop being a retard.
Myr: I'm not, I'm not and Erik started it. Me and my buddy Erik 'll
fix him.
Rob: You are being a retard here's a photo to help you out.
Myr: Ahhhhhh here's a photo of a real nut job like Ty must be. I hate
him I hate him
Rob: Going by the hair that must be you.
Myr: Damn you and your sheep. I hate you too ......
Rob: grow up.
Myr: I hate you, I hate you ........ [nntp max message size breached]

At this point I should tell you to go boil your head, but I don't want
you putting that hair near any source of heat. With that much product
the resulting fire would no doubt endanger all the inhabitants of the Ark
you're living in.

--
Rob "does anyone else think that Myr has been licking toads" Singers
RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:58:29 AM

It was a cold day in September when mike entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> Jim M wrote:
>
> > Did you miss the post that pointed out that the Germans had a working
> > computer by 1938? It was destroyed during the allied bombing, but that
> > still makes even the earlier computer that I had previously pointed out
> > an incorrect statement.
>
> Is it incorrect? the Zuse machine, as per the wiki at
> http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/History_of_computing_h...
> -------
> Working in isolation in Nazi Germany, Konrad Zuse started construction
> in 1936 of his first Z-series calculators featuring memory and
> (initially limited) programmability. Zuse's purely mechanical, but
> already binary
> Z1, finished in 1938, never worked reliably due to problems with the
> precision of parts.

Reliability is not the issue, it worked, that is all that is required to be
the first computer. Did the first airplane fly reliably? Not really, yet it
is still considered the first airplane.

> Zuse's subsequent machine, the Z3, was finished in 1941. It was based
> on telephone relays and did work satisfactorily.
> ------
>
> So maybe the ABC does get the nod, just depends what you need in a
> machine to be called 'first computer'
>
> does that the ABC, lacking a stored program, but all electronic
> 'better' than the Zuse Z3 that had a stored program, but electro-
> mechanical in nature?

I already pointed out that better isn't important, the first is the first
regardless of how good it was, anything that came later is not the first
even if it was better.
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:04:59 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, mike wrote:

> So maybe the ABC does get the nod, just depends what you need in a
> machine to be called 'first computer'
>
> does that the ABC, lacking a stored program, but all electronic
> 'better' than the Zuse Z3 that had a stored program, but electro-
> mechanical in nature?

Are/were either of them truly general-purpose? That is, could they handle
any computation that they had sufficient storage to represent? Personally
I find electronic vs electromechanical to be pretty relevant, and
similarly whether or not a system uses binary encodings or not. They're
not fundamental to the nature of a computer, they're just fundamental to
what an efficient one looks like.

--
flippa@flippac.org

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recomendations.
Ivanova is God.
And, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:05:06 PM

>>Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said
>>

>> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
>> spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
>> army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
>> ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
>> full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
>> getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
>> doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
>> forwarded.
>

>This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why not
>have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
>Troopers army.

Surely a GW Cadian army would be equally dual-purpose, and the plastics
are cheaper than the Starship Troopers box (haven't checked the prices
since Mongoose cut them, but they were previously selling an 8-man
squad for the same price as a 20-man Cadian set and I doubt they've
reduced them that much); also the ST range lacks armoured vehicles
IIRC.

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:49:39 AM

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message

>>This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why
>>not
>>have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
>>Troopers army.
>
> Surely a GW Cadian army would be equally dual-purpose, and the plastics
> are cheaper than the Starship Troopers box (haven't checked the prices
> since Mongoose cut them, but they were previously selling an 8-man
> squad for the same price as a 20-man Cadian set and I doubt they've
> reduced them that much); also the ST range lacks armoured vehicles
> IIRC.

£12 for 8 now. Still more expensive model for model than plastic Cadians,
but cheaper than Space Marines at least.

Tim
--
I love the smell of vomit in the newsgroup, it smells like...VICTORY!

If you want to reply by email, replace the asterisks with underscores.

Currently listening to: 'Blackout' - The Cloud Room
!