Imperial Guard Recommendations

ty

One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

--Ty

Ty wrote:
> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
> Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
> recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
> nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
> the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
> suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
>
> --Ty

Tell him not to pay full price form GW, order from the The Warstore

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
>about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
>Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
>recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
>nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
>the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
>suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
>
>--Ty

You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".

Thank you.
-Erik

What the heck is this place coming to, anyway?

Ty wrote:
> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army.

Wow, that's a lot of work.

> I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask
> for recommendations on what purchases he should make

OK. IG is based around little guys and big tanks. Take plenty of each.

> (he'll pay full price at a nearby GW store).

Nooo!!!

Get that man to Neal at the Warstore!

> He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
> the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads.

Fortunately, IG tends not to have a lot of exotic doodads. Anyhow, I'd
suggest something like this:

5-man Command, Chimera
+6-man Heavy squad

5-man Veteran squad, Chimera

5-man Command, Chimera
+3x 10-man squads

5-man Command
+2x 10-man squads

10-man AF squad, Chimera
10-man AF squad, Chimera

2 Hellhounds
1 Russ
2 Demolishers

The Demolishers, Hellhounds, Veterans, and AF squads provide some
mobility as an Armoured spearhead. The rest provide standard fire support.

Get 2 Heavy Weapon Boxes and 5 Infantry Platoon boxes, using spare
infantry to crew spare Heavy Weapons.

\-|-/

In article <9LOBe.205$Q7.17@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>, Ty,
tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
> Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
> recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
> nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
> the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
> suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

Unless your friend *REALLY* likes the local Hobby store owner,
don't encourage him/her to pay full price. GW prices = wallet rape.
Seriously, after the latest price increase, on top of last year's price
increase, on top of the nearly 20% price in crease of 3 to 4 years ago,
paying full price says you're either in a huge hurry, or very internet
unsavvy. If you want to support a great guy who has tremendous customer
service and offers a good discount as well as free shipping on larger
orders - then try Neal C. at...

www.thewarstore.com

Since GW (mostly) killed off online US stores, your friend will have to
order via phone.

If your friend isn't totally Pro US and wants to save a bit more, then
try...

http://www.gc-minis.com/

out of Canada for a general 30% off GW items and at times an even better
total discount when the exchange rate is even more favorable.

Myrmidon

--
Unpainted models gives you power over others? <looking around
apartment>

I AM A GODDESS !!!!!

-- Janet Quick

RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/

Or...

In article <q3tfd1tejajph3lb8anrme5fatntne8rm3@4ax.com>, Erik Setzer,
erks@comcast.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> >about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
> >Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
> >recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
> >nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
> >the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
> >suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
> >
> >--Ty
> >

> You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
> Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
> tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".
>
> Thank you.
> -Erik

You forget Erik, just like he knows *EVERYTHING* about world
history, Ty knows all about RGMW...

In article <tjGBe.39$zh7.8@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>, Ty,
tybeardspam@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> > See, it's things like this that will get you in trouble. You
> > obviously haven't been around RGMW long.

> Only about 7-8 years.

He's like Ranter, but far far less amusing.

Myrmidon

--
Insane Ranter: "What's latin for 'Let the reader beware'?"

KMarkusV: "Caveat Ranter."

****

César Viscasillas: "I love the Empire. It´s the best! GO EMPIRE,GO!"

The Blue Raja: "Jesus, it's a Spanish 'Ranter'. We're in trouble now."
--

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

ty

"Erik Setzer" <erks@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:

>>One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
>>about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
>>Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
>>recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at
>>nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
>>the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
>>suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

> You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
> Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
> tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".

Ah, yes. Forgot that there was another Warhammer...

--Ty

Hey Myr...

RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)

That don't work. Just use http://www.rgmw.org/

janet
--
Nothing in this world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and a
conscientious stupidity.

"Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
> a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for

WWW.CHAOSMAILORDER.COM

It was a cold day in September when Helicon_One entered the world pub known
as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> > Tell him not to pay full price form GW, order from the The Warstore
>
> Seconded. RRP = bad. Discounts are nice, lots on eBay are worth keeping an
> eye out for too.

Unless of course they are doing it to support a local brick and mortar store
that just happens to carry GW products but is not a GW store. In that case
he SHOULD pay full price to help support his local game shop!

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com

In article <kEXBe.968$9A2.829@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>, Chucky,
admin@titansguild.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

> "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
> > about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
> > a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
>

> WWW.CHAOSMAILORDER.COM

They've gotten good recommendations here, but I've never
personally dealt with them. Anyone know what, if any, kind of discount
they're offering?

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
> spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
> army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
> ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
> full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
> getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
> doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
> forwarded.

This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why not
have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
Troopers army.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

berto

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002

"Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said
>
>> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
>> spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
>> army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
>> ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
>> full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
>> getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
>> doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
>> forwarded.
>
> This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why
> not
> have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
> Troopers army.

Great thought. That is what I am doing myself for my Steel Legion Army. I
am also seeing if I can give some stats to the CHAS as well as the Marauder
and Chickenhawk. I am also waiting for their version of the dropship and
retrival boats as well as the TAC. I have been playing with molds and resin
and I have done 4 resin Humvees which seem to work for the IG. I will give
them Stats a little similar to the Sentinel but they can only carry 5 troops
or one Heavy weapons team.

Berto

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

> He's like Ranter, but far far less amusing.

The thing I've noticed about Ty which seperates him from the great mass of
Usenet retards is that you're civil to him he's civil to you. So Myr if
you're letting him bug you then I'm afraid you're entering yourself into
the special olympics.

The fact that Ty is able to express a different opinion to your own here is
a good thing, and you shouldn't be getting bitchy about. If you need
something to make noise about I'd suggest what's currently happening in
Zimbabwe would be a much better use of your time.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Janet Quick said

> RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)

That's Guiness Black if anyone was wondering what shade of black.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere

It was a cold day in September when Robert Singers entered the world pub
known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Janet Quick said
>
> > RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)
>
> That's Guiness Black if anyone was wondering what shade of black.

Hey! Leave that offshoot of my ancestors out of this!

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com

Robert Singers <rsing...@finger.hotmail.com> said:

8<Snip>8

> that should be hair on your nuts.  Start acting like it.

Haha, you fool!

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders,

the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia",

but only slightly less well known is this:

"Never get involved in a flame war with Myrmidon!"

Ahahahahaha! [Croak]

Playa

--

[Ducks]

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said
[snip]

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922

--
Rob "need I say more" Singers
RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org

In article <Xns9695E1901447rsingers@IP-Hidden>, Robert Singers,
rsingers@finger.hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said
> [snip]
> > Pot, kettle, black Rob? I seem to recall you bitching about
> > things rather trivial more than once yourself. Ever recall me telling
> > you not to be bitchy about your own personal pet peeves? No? Odd how
> > that works, isn't it?
>
> http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922

So, this would be Ty?

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463affe7

Myr :)

--

> http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922

You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll be
forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel humper".
Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.

--

-smithdoerr

It was a cold day in September when smithdoerr entered the world pub known
as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922
>
> You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll be
> forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
> some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel humper".
> Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
> does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.

If it's a dead weasel would that make him a necrolunoterrothizing weasel
humber?

--

"Jim M" <hnjcomics@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It was a cold day in September when smithdoerr entered the
> world pub known
> as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

>> You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll
>> be
>> forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
>> some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel
>> humper".
>> Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
>> does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.
>>

> If it's a dead weasel would that make him a
> necrolunoterrothizing weasel
> humber?

Don't ask questions, unless you're a lunoterrothizing weasel
humper.

--

-smithdoerr

In article <1121565837.506993.107860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Playa, hurlgen40k@aol.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

> Robert Singers <rsing...@finger.hotmail.com> said:
>
> 8<Snip>8
>
> > that should be hair on your nuts.  Start acting like it.
>

> Haha, you fool!
>
> You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of
> which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia"
>

> but only slightly less well known is this: "Never get involved in a
> flame war with Myrmidon!"
>
> Ahahahahaha! [Croak]
>
> [Ducks]
>
> Playa

Like any long married couple - from time to time Rob and I just
have to look at each other and say "Honey, I love you very much, but not
right now."

Myr ;)

P.S. I fully agree with your and Doc Rock's assessment that an empty
hard point is not a weapon of any sort in your HK thread - someone was
(wrongly) trying to weasel out of a dice roll result that they didn't
like.

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

Mike

Splendid

Jim M wrote:

> Did you miss the post that pointed out that the Germans had a working
> computer by 1938? It was destroyed during the allied bombing, but that
> still makes even the earlier computer that I had previously pointed out
> an incorrect statement.

Is it incorrect? the Zuse machine, as per the wiki at
http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/History_of_computing_hardware
-------
Working in isolation in Nazi Germany, Konrad Zuse started construction
in 1936 of his first Z-series calculators featuring memory and
(initially limited) programmability. Zuse's purely mechanical, but
already binary
Z1, finished in 1938, never worked reliably due to problems with the
precision of parts.

Zuse's subsequent machine, the Z3, was finished in 1941. It was based
on telephone relays and did work satisfactorily.
------

So maybe the ABC does get the nod, just depends what you need in a
machine to be called 'first computer'

does that the ABC, lacking a stored program, but all electronic
'better' than the Zuse Z3 that had a stored program, but electro-
mechanical in nature?

**
mike
**

It was a cold day in September when Ty entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> You appear to have lost situational awareness. My "opening salvo" was a flip
> comment that we invented the computer and discovered penicillin. I was
> correct on the first point (though not on the details) and incorrect on the
> second one. I corrected the incorrect statement in the next post. So your
> characterization is inaccurate, though I have no idea if the error was due
> to malice or mistake.

Did you miss the post that pointed out that the Germans had a working
computer by 1938? It was destroyed during the allied bombing, but that still
makes even the earlier computer that I had previously pointed out an
incorrect statement. While I knew of the computer I hadn't realized that it
was developed so early on, and simply discounted it while doing a search for
the earliest operating computer.