Imperial Guard Recommendations

One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

--Ty
36 answers Last reply
More about imperial guard recommendations

    Ty wrote:
    > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
    > about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
    > Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
    > recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
    > nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
    > the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
    > suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
    >
    > --Ty

    Tell him not to pay full price form GW, order from the The Warstore
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
    >about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
    >Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
    >recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
    >nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
    >the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
    >suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
    >
    >--Ty

    You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
    Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
    tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".

    Thank you.
    -Erik

    What the heck is this place coming to, anyway?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Ty wrote:
    > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
    > about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army.

    Wow, that's a lot of work.

    > I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask
    > for recommendations on what purchases he should make

    OK. IG is based around little guys and big tanks. Take plenty of each.

    > (he'll pay full price at a nearby GW store).

    Nooo!!!

    Get that man to Neal at the Warstore!

    > He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
    > the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads.

    Fortunately, IG tends not to have a lot of exotic doodads. Anyhow, I'd
    suggest something like this:

    5-man Command, Chimera
    +6-man Heavy squad

    5-man Veteran squad, Chimera

    5-man Command, Chimera
    +3x 10-man squads

    5-man Command
    +2x 10-man squads

    10-man AF squad, Chimera
    10-man AF squad, Chimera

    2 Hellhounds
    1 Russ
    2 Demolishers

    The Demolishers, Hellhounds, Veterans, and AF squads provide some
    mobility as an Armoured spearhead. The rest provide standard fire support.

    Get 2 Heavy Weapon Boxes and 5 Infantry Platoon boxes, using spare
    infantry to crew spare Heavy Weapons.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <9LOBe.205$Q7.17@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>, Ty,
    tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
    > about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
    > Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
    > recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
    > nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
    > the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
    > suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

    Unless your friend *REALLY* likes the local Hobby store owner,
    don't encourage him/her to pay full price. GW prices = wallet rape.
    Seriously, after the latest price increase, on top of last year's price
    increase, on top of the nearly 20% price in crease of 3 to 4 years ago,
    paying full price says you're either in a huge hurry, or very internet
    unsavvy. If you want to support a great guy who has tremendous customer
    service and offers a good discount as well as free shipping on larger
    orders - then try Neal C. at...

    www.thewarstore.com

    Since GW (mostly) killed off online US stores, your friend will have to
    order via phone.

    If your friend isn't totally Pro US and wants to save a bit more, then
    try...

    http://www.gc-minis.com/

    out of Canada for a general 30% off GW items and at times an even better
    total discount when the exchange rate is even more favorable.

    Myrmidon

    --
    Unpainted models gives you power over others? <looking around
    apartment>

    I AM A GODDESS !!!!!

    -- Janet Quick

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/

    Or...

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <q3tfd1tejajph3lb8anrme5fatntne8rm3@4ax.com>, Erik Setzer,
    erks@comcast.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
    > >about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have a
    > >Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
    > >recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at a
    > >nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
    > >the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
    > >suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.
    > >
    > >--Ty
    > >

    > You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
    > Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
    > tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".
    >
    > Thank you.
    > -Erik

    You forget Erik, just like he knows *EVERYTHING* about world
    history, Ty knows all about RGMW...

    In article <tjGBe.39$zh7.8@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>, Ty,
    tybeardspam@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > > See, it's things like this that will get you in trouble. You
    > > obviously haven't been around RGMW long.

    > Only about 7-8 years.

    He's like Ranter, but far far less amusing.

    Myrmidon

    --
    Insane Ranter: "What's latin for 'Let the reader beware'?"

    KMarkusV: "Caveat Ranter."

    ****

    César Viscasillas: "I love the Empire. It´s the best! GO EMPIRE,GO!"

    The Blue Raja: "Jesus, it's a Spanish 'Ranter'. We're in trouble now."
    --

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Erik Setzer" <erks@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:09 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
    > wrote:

    >>One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
    >>about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
    >>Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
    >>recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay full price at
    >>nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just getting into sci-fi, so
    >>the army needs to be relatively free of exotic doodads. Any helpful
    >>suggestions are appreciated and will be forwarded.

    > You've got some nice replies, so let me just step in and do the Tag
    > Nazis' job for them. Please read the FAQ and remember the rules on
    > tagging your posts, i.e. "[40K] Imperial Guard Recommendations".

    Ah, yes. Forgot that there was another Warhammer...

    --Ty
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Hey Myr...

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)

    That don't work. Just use http://www.rgmw.org/

    janet
    --
    Nothing in this world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and a
    conscientious stupidity.

    "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
    > about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
    > a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for

    WWW.CHAOSMAILORDER.COM
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    It was a cold day in September when Helicon_One entered the world pub known
    as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

    > > Tell him not to pay full price form GW, order from the The Warstore
    >
    > Seconded. RRP = bad. Discounts are nice, lots on eBay are worth keeping an
    > eye out for too.

    Unless of course they are doing it to support a local brick and mortar store
    that just happens to carry GW products but is not a GW store. In that case
    he SHOULD pay full price to help support his local game shop!

    --
    Jim M

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
    Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <kEXBe.968$9A2.829@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>, Chucky,
    admin@titansguild.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

    > "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to spend
    > > about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard army. I have
    > > a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to ask for
    >

    > WWW.CHAOSMAILORDER.COM

    They've gotten good recommendations here, but I've never
    personally dealt with them. Anyone know what, if any, kind of discount
    they're offering?

    Myr

    --
    "I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
    and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

    -- Moramarth

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

    > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
    > spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
    > army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
    > ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
    > full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
    > getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
    > doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
    > forwarded.

    This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why not
    have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
    Troopers army.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said
    >
    >> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
    >> spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
    >> army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
    >> ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
    >> full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
    >> getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
    >> doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
    >> forwarded.
    >
    > This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why
    > not
    > have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
    > Troopers army.

    Great thought. That is what I am doing myself for my Steel Legion Army. I
    am also seeing if I can give some stats to the CHAS as well as the Marauder
    and Chickenhawk. I am also waiting for their version of the dropship and
    retrival boats as well as the TAC. I have been playing with molds and resin
    and I have done 4 resin Humvees which seem to work for the IG. I will give
    them Stats a little similar to the Sentinel but they can only carry 5 troops
    or one Heavy weapons team.

    Berto
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

    > He's like Ranter, but far far less amusing.

    The thing I've noticed about Ty which seperates him from the great mass of
    Usenet retards is that you're civil to him he's civil to you. So Myr if
    you're letting him bug you then I'm afraid you're entering yourself into
    the special olympics.

    The fact that Ty is able to express a different opinion to your own here is
    a good thing, and you shouldn't be getting bitchy about. If you need
    something to make noise about I'd suggest what's currently happening in
    Zimbabwe would be a much better use of your time.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Janet Quick said

    > RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)

    That's Guiness Black if anyone was wondering what shade of black.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    It was a cold day in September when Robert Singers entered the world pub
    known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Janet Quick said
    >
    > > RGMW FAQ: http://www.b3p0.com/~rgmw/ (b3p0 fell into a black hole)
    >
    > That's Guiness Black if anyone was wondering what shade of black.

    Hey! Leave that offshoot of my ancestors out of this!

    --
    Jim M

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
    Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Robert Singers <rsing...@finger.hotmail.com> said:

    8<Snip>8

    > that should be hair on your nuts.  Start acting like it.

    Haha, you fool!

    You fell victim to one of the classic blunders,

    the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia",

    but only slightly less well known is this:

    "Never get involved in a flame war with Myrmidon!"

    Ahahahahaha! [Croak]

    Playa

    --

    [Ducks]
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said
    [snip]

    http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922

    --
    Rob "need I say more" Singers
    RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org

    In article <Xns9695E1901447rsingers@IP-Hidden>, Robert Singers,
    rsingers@finger.hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said
    > [snip]
    > > Pot, kettle, black Rob? I seem to recall you bitching about
    > > things rather trivial more than once yourself. Ever recall me telling
    > > you not to be bitchy about your own personal pet peeves? No? Odd how
    > > that works, isn't it?
    >
    > http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922

    So, this would be Ty?

    http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463affe7

    Myr :)

    --
    "I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
    and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

    -- Moramarth

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922

    You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll be
    forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
    some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel humper".
    Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
    does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.

    --

    -smithdoerr
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    It was a cold day in September when smithdoerr entered the world pub known
    as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

    > "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922
    >
    > You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll be
    > forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
    > some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel humper".
    > Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
    > does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.

    If it's a dead weasel would that make him a necrolunoterrothizing weasel
    humber?

    --
    Jim M

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
    Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Jim M" <hnjcomics@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > It was a cold day in September when smithdoerr entered the
    > world pub known
    > as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

    >> You're going to make Ty cry calling him a retard. Now he'll
    >> be
    >> forced to inform you that you're a terrorist sympathizer using
    >> some dopey tard-speak term like "lunoterrothizing weasel
    >> humper".
    >> Then he'll do his impersonation of a duck. I like it when he
    >> does the waddling part. He's got that down perfect.
    >>

    > If it's a dead weasel would that make him a
    > necrolunoterrothizing weasel
    > humber?

    Don't ask questions, unless you're a lunoterrothizing weasel
    humper.

    --

    -smithdoerr
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <1121565837.506993.107860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    Playa, hurlgen40k@aol.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

    > Robert Singers <rsing...@finger.hotmail.com> said:
    >
    > 8<Snip>8
    >
    > > that should be hair on your nuts.  Start acting like it.
    >

    > Haha, you fool!
    >
    > You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of
    > which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia"
    >

    > but only slightly less well known is this: "Never get involved in a
    > flame war with Myrmidon!"
    >
    > Ahahahahaha! [Croak]
    >
    > [Ducks]
    >
    > Playa

    Like any long married couple - from time to time Rob and I just
    have to look at each other and say "Honey, I love you very much, but not
    right now."

    Myr ;)

    P.S. I fully agree with your and Doc Rock's assessment that an empty
    hard point is not a weapon of any sort in your HK thread - someone was
    (wrongly) trying to weasel out of a dice roll result that they didn't
    like.

    --
    "I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
    and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

    -- Moramarth

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Jim M wrote:

    > Did you miss the post that pointed out that the Germans had a working
    > computer by 1938? It was destroyed during the allied bombing, but that
    > still makes even the earlier computer that I had previously pointed out
    > an incorrect statement.

    Is it incorrect? the Zuse machine, as per the wiki at
    http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/History_of_computing_hardware
    -------
    Working in isolation in Nazi Germany, Konrad Zuse started construction
    in 1936 of his first Z-series calculators featuring memory and
    (initially limited) programmability. Zuse's purely mechanical, but
    already binary
    Z1, finished in 1938, never worked reliably due to problems with the
    precision of parts.

    Zuse's subsequent machine, the Z3, was finished in 1941. It was based
    on telephone relays and did work satisfactorily.
    ------

    So maybe the ABC does get the nod, just depends what you need in a
    machine to be called 'first computer'

    does that the ABC, lacking a stored program, but all electronic
    'better' than the Zuse Z3 that had a stored program, but electro-
    mechanical in nature?

    **
    mike
    **
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    It was a cold day in September when Ty entered the world pub known as
    rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

    > You appear to have lost situational awareness. My "opening salvo" was a flip
    > comment that we invented the computer and discovered penicillin. I was
    > correct on the first point (though not on the details) and incorrect on the
    > second one. I corrected the incorrect statement in the next post. So your
    > characterization is inaccurate, though I have no idea if the error was due
    > to malice or mistake.

    Did you miss the post that pointed out that the Germans had a working
    computer by 1938? It was destroyed during the allied bombing, but that still
    makes even the earlier computer that I had previously pointed out an
    incorrect statement. While I knew of the computer I hadn't realized that it
    was developed so early on, and simply discounted it while doing a search for
    the earliest operating computer.

    --
    Jim M

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
    Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message

    >...If so, then
    > who gives a rat's ass if I or anyone else here flame him for being a
    > knucklehead.

    Well, it's really more of a weak smolder than a flame.

    You might want to consider the studies that show that people with low IQs
    overestimate their own competence to a greater extent than smarter people.
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step in solving it...

    > ...pointed out that Ty's reasoning is typical ignorant ethnocentric
    > malarkey.

    More accurately, you idiots have baldly asserted this. But you seem
    curiously unable to identify the actual assertions that you allege are
    inaccurate (other than in the flippant "accomplishments" posts...)

    > Is literacy not a strong point for you today Rob,

    Rather ironic, given your inability to accurately characterize written
    posts.

    > simply found it amusing that Erik is pointing out tagging to a "7-8
    > year" veteran of RGMW like our man Ty proclaims himself to be.

    Uh, why would anyone *falsely* claim to have spend 7-8 years interactive
    with buffoons like you? And again, you seem somewhat fact-challenged.

    --Ty
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

    > > One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
    > > spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
    > > army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
    > > ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
    > > full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
    > > getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
    > > doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
    > > forwarded.

    > This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why
    not
    > have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
    > Troopers army.

    We discussed those options, but he really likes the look of the GW stuff. We
    played 40K RT and 2nd Ed many years ago with lots of non-GW stuff, so it
    isn't that he's a fanboy. He just likes the GW stuff. I suspect that he will
    eventually get the ST stuff as well ... how does it compare pricewise to GW?

    --Ty
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Berto" <Albertocarro@msn.com> wrote in message

    > My issue, if you haven't noticed about me
    > after all of this time is that I am a person that at least tries to get a
    > middle of the ground or and acknowledgement of the position(as most of us
    > here), but not so blind and deaf as to see that a point of view becomes
    > extremist I move off.

    There's nothing wrong with considering both sides of an argument. At the
    very least, it lets you rebut the incorrect side faster. But beware of
    becoming so enchanted with being a "moderate" that this becomes your sole
    objective. In my experience, there are usually valid points on each side of
    a contentious issue. *But* there is usually a right side and a wrong side.
    Or, if you prefer, one position is usually stronger (and not infrequently,
    *much* stronger) than the other one. I see nothing admirable or desirable in
    treating a very weak argument as being equal to a very strong one. And that
    is the danger by becoming overly enchanted with the moderate angle. Being
    seen as "moderate" and "fair" becomes the goal, rather than determining
    which position is true, stronger, etc.

    I would also caution you against *assuming* that an apparent "extremist" has
    not considered the other side's arguments fairly. (Of course, I have done
    this myself, so no stone throwing intended). You may be surprised to find
    that your assumption is inaccurate and only after wasting a lot of energy.

    For that matter, I am not comfortable with your *apparent* notion that
    anyone with a strongly-held opinion is an "extremist". He may very well be
    one, but that's like saying that anyone who wears feldgrau colored clothes
    is a Nazi. Of course, I may have read more into your posts than was
    warranted.

    I am also skeptical of the idea that there are "sides" to a factual
    assertion. In its simplest form, a factual assertion is either correct or
    incorrect. Even more complicated facts are either accurately relayed or not.
    Of course, how much those facts should be weighed is a question of reason
    and logic, and it may well have many valid "sides".

    > Again, I apologize to Ty and to you.

    Apology accepted, but there was no need to apologize to me. I took no
    offense from anything you said. Still, it was a classy thing to do. So in
    the spirit of the moment, let me apologize to you for getting a bit sharp in
    my posts. I pretty fanatically adhere to a "no first use" policy on insults.
    But sometimes, I get a little pissier in my tone than is warranted. If I've
    done that to you (I'm not denying it, but pissiness is subjective), then my
    apologies.

    --Ty
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
    "Helicon_One" <shiny*blue*thing@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    "Berto" <Albertocarro@msn.com> wrote in message

    Thanks gents for the suggestions. I've forwarded them to him.

    Also, thanks to those who suggested GW discount stores. He probably won't be
    interested in them, but I was.

    --Ty
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Berto said
    [snips]
    > And I won't find Ty's hometown to try to blow him up. That statement
    > needs to chill down. I got your message. You are not of the stuff that
    > gets on a soap box. It is not you. It does not become you. I guess
    > that is my message. Again, I apologize to Ty and to you.

    Thanks Berto. I'm glad someone understands my point.

    I like to think it's a bit like that famous quote from Churchill "When
    you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

    And funnily enough when I did I quick search to make sure I was quoting
    it right I found this ...

    "Everybody is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its
    being extolled, but some people’s idea of it is that they are free to
    say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an
    outrage."

    .... which I appreciate the irony of.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > I like to think it's a bit like that famous quote from Churchill "When
    > you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

    > And funnily enough when I did I quick search to make sure I was quoting
    > it right I found this ...

    > "Everybody is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its
    > being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to
    > say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an
    > outrage."

    > ... which I appreciate the irony of.

    Being a bit of a Churchill admirer, and a free speech near-absolutist, I
    like both of those.

    --Ty
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said
    [snip]
    > I am also skeptical of the idea that there are "sides" to a factual
    > assertion. In its simplest form, a factual assertion is either correct
    > or incorrect. Even more complicated facts are either accurately
    > relayed or not. Of course, how much those facts should be weighed is a
    > question of reason and logic, and it may well have many valid "sides".

    In the context you're arguing facts are thinly seperated from fiction,
    it's the biggest problem with History and Ethnography.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

    > You know, it's pretty funny reading the above comment from a guy
    > who's yelling "I call Bullshit Moderator Jimi" repeatedly - because
    > your current behavior is EXACTLY what *Jimi* DID DO.

    Ahhhhhhh no. Your behaviour is exactly what Jimi did. There is a
    difference. Let's look at this thread so far, I'll paraphrase for
    brevity and humour

    Ty: My friend wants some little soldiers.
    Erik: Tag Tag Tag Tag
    Myr: LOL Ty is a dick who should know better.
    Rob: Don't be a wanker, we're talking about little soldiers.
    Myr: Damn you Singers your're from a silly little Island and don't know
    nothing. Ty is a crazy arse bonkers Texican and I hate him and his
    little dog. He shouldn't post here.
    Rob: Stop being a retard.
    Myr: I'm not, I'm not and Erik started it. Me and my buddy Erik 'll
    fix him.
    Rob: You are being a retard here's a photo to help you out.
    Myr: Ahhhhhh here's a photo of a real nut job like Ty must be. I hate
    him I hate him
    Rob: Going by the hair that must be you.
    Myr: Damn you and your sheep. I hate you too ......
    Rob: grow up.
    Myr: I hate you, I hate you ........ [nntp max message size breached]

    At this point I should tell you to go boil your head, but I don't want
    you putting that hair near any source of heat. With that much product
    the resulting fire would no doubt endanger all the inhabitants of the Ark
    you're living in.

    --
    Rob "does anyone else think that Myr has been licking toads" Singers
    RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org

    It was a cold day in September when mike entered the world pub known as
    rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

    > Jim M wrote:
    >
    > > Did you miss the post that pointed out that the Germans had a working
    > > computer by 1938? It was destroyed during the allied bombing, but that
    > > still makes even the earlier computer that I had previously pointed out
    > > an incorrect statement.
    >
    > Is it incorrect? the Zuse machine, as per the wiki at
    > http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/History_of_computing_hardware
    > -------
    > Working in isolation in Nazi Germany, Konrad Zuse started construction
    > in 1936 of his first Z-series calculators featuring memory and
    > (initially limited) programmability. Zuse's purely mechanical, but
    > already binary
    > Z1, finished in 1938, never worked reliably due to problems with the
    > precision of parts.

    Reliability is not the issue, it worked, that is all that is required to be
    the first computer. Did the first airplane fly reliably? Not really, yet it
    is still considered the first airplane.

    > Zuse's subsequent machine, the Z3, was finished in 1941. It was based
    > on telephone relays and did work satisfactorily.
    > ------
    >
    > So maybe the ABC does get the nod, just depends what you need in a
    > machine to be called 'first computer'
    >
    > does that the ABC, lacking a stored program, but all electronic
    > 'better' than the Zuse Z3 that had a stored program, but electro-
    > mechanical in nature?

    I already pointed out that better isn't important, the first is the first
    regardless of how good it was, anything that came later is not the first
    even if it was better.
    --
    Jim M

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
    Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, mike wrote:

    > So maybe the ABC does get the nod, just depends what you need in a
    > machine to be called 'first computer'
    >
    > does that the ABC, lacking a stored program, but all electronic
    > 'better' than the Zuse Z3 that had a stored program, but electro-
    > mechanical in nature?

    Are/were either of them truly general-purpose? That is, could they handle
    any computation that they had sufficient storage to represent? Personally
    I find electronic vs electromechanical to be pretty relevant, and
    similarly whether or not a system uses binary encodings or not. They're
    not fundamental to the nature of a computer, they're just fundamental to
    what an efficient one looks like.

    --
    flippa@flippac.org

    Ivanova is always right.
    I will listen to Ivanova.
    I will not ignore Ivanova's recomendations.
    Ivanova is God.
    And, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    >>Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said
    >>

    >> One of my friends is going to leap into WH40K 4th ed. and wants to
    >> spend about $300-400 for a starting Codex compliant Imperial Guard
    >> army. I have a Leman Russ and a Chimera that he can use. I'd like to
    >> ask for recommendations on what purchases he should make (he'll pay
    >> full price at a nearby GW store). He's a historical wargamer just
    >> getting into sci-fi, so the army needs to be relatively free of exotic
    >> doodads. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated and will be
    >> forwarded.
    >

    >This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why not
    >have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
    >Troopers army.

    Surely a GW Cadian army would be equally dual-purpose, and the plastics
    are cheaper than the Starship Troopers box (haven't checked the prices
    since Mongoose cut them, but they were previously selling an 8-man
    squad for the same price as a 20-man Cadian set and I doubt they've
    reduced them that much); also the ST range lacks armoured vehicles
    IIRC.

    Philip Bowles
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message

    >>This is a on a little bit of a tangent, but if he's going to buy IG why
    >>not
    >>have a look at Mongoose's stuff and buy a duel purpose 40K IG and Starship
    >>Troopers army.
    >
    > Surely a GW Cadian army would be equally dual-purpose, and the plastics
    > are cheaper than the Starship Troopers box (haven't checked the prices
    > since Mongoose cut them, but they were previously selling an 8-man
    > squad for the same price as a 20-man Cadian set and I doubt they've
    > reduced them that much); also the ST range lacks armoured vehicles
    > IIRC.

    £12 for 8 now. Still more expensive model for model than plastic Cadians,
    but cheaper than Space Marines at least.

    Tim
    --
    I love the smell of vomit in the newsgroup, it smells like...VICTORY!

    If you want to reply by email, replace the asterisks with underscores.

    Currently listening to: 'Blackout' - The Cloud Room

Games Imperial Video Games