New Owner

I have just sold this laptop, and I will need to help the new owner make a
new profile and everything. When I right click My Computer, it says it is
registered to me, but I was wondering if I can change this so that it says
the new owner's name there. Also, can I simply create a new account and give
it admin privileges and then delete my admin name and will everything be all
set for them? Or is it even necessary to reinstall Windows XP Pro altogether?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about owner

    Brian wrote:

    > I have just sold this laptop, and I will need to help the new owner
    > make a new profile and everything. When I right click My Computer, it
    > says it is registered to me, but I was wondering if I can change this
    > so that it says the new owner's name there. Also, can I simply create
    > a new account and give it admin privileges and then delete my admin
    > name and will everything be all set for them? Or is it even necessary
    > to reinstall Windows XP Pro altogether? Any help is appreciated,
    > thanks.

    It really would be better to clean install Windows entirely. Since this
    is a laptop, it probably came with a Restore Disk or some other method
    of returning the laptop to factory condition. You should do this.
    Remember to give the buyer all the software that came with the laptop,
    too.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi, Brian, when I bought my used laptop I was advised on this panel to
    download a file that did just that, changing the owner's name. I forget the
    name of the free download, but it worked flawlessly. Maybe googeling might
    help.
    Gerry

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just sold this laptop, and I will need to help the new owner make a
    > new profile and everything. When I right click My Computer, it says it is
    > registered to me, but I was wondering if I can change this so that it says
    > the new owner's name there. Also, can I simply create a new account and
    > give
    > it admin privileges and then delete my admin name and will everything be
    > all
    > set for them? Or is it even necessary to reinstall Windows XP Pro
    > altogether?
    > Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    Brian, I found the download >>>>
    Line 7 Right column "Change registered owner..."
    Gerry

    Brian wrote:
    > I have just sold this laptop, and I will need to help the new owner make a
    > new profile and everything. When I right click My Computer, it says it is
    > registered to me, but I was wondering if I can change this so that it says
    > the new owner's name there. Also, can I simply create a new account and give
    > it admin privileges and then delete my admin name and will everything be all
    > set for them? Or is it even necessary to reinstall Windows XP Pro altogether?
    > Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    To protect your personal information and data from any future users
    of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive
    and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to
    be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
    protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
    (http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
    U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
    drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
    applications.

    However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    it only during installation.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:B32C6EF3-BA5B-402B-A278-126FA04E1E3C@microsoft.com,
    Brian <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have just sold this laptop, and I will need to help the new
    > owner
    > make a new profile and everything. When I right click My
    > Computer, it
    > says it is registered to me, but I was wondering if I can
    > change this
    > so that it says the new owner's name there. Also, can I simply
    > create
    > a new account and give it admin privileges and then delete my
    > admin
    > name and will everything be all set for them? Or is it even
    > necessary
    > to reinstall Windows XP Pro altogether? Any help is
    > appreciated,
    > thanks.

    If I were the new owner, I wouldn't want any part of your old
    Windows installation, and would want to reinstall Windows myself,
    from scratch. I think everyone should do that when he buys a used
    computer. So I recommend that you format the drive and give him
    the computer and the Windows CD from which he can reinstall
    Windows as *he* wants it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Gerry wrote:
    > Hi, Brian, when I bought my used laptop I was advised on this panel to
    > download a file that did just that, changing the owner's name. I forget the
    > name of the free download, but it worked flawlessly. Maybe googeling might
    > help.
    > Gerry
    >

    > "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have just sold this laptop, and I will need to help the new owner make a
    >>new profile and everything. When I right click My Computer, it says it is
    >>registered to me, but I was wondering if I can change this so that it says
    >>the new owner's name there. Also, can I simply create a new account and
    >>give
    >>it admin privileges and then delete my admin name and will everything be
    >>all
    >>set for them? Or is it even necessary to reinstall Windows XP Pro
    >>altogether?
    >>Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    Tried searching the registry on the previous name?

Microsoft Windows XP