Adding a hard drive using a USB enclosure

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB
closure - with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every
combo of jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the
message that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
Recognized"

any ideas?

John

Alias

"John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB
> osure - with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every
> combo of jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the
> message that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
> Recognized"
>
> any ideas?
>
> John

yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the external
case. If not, visit the case's web site.

Alias

anna

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB osure -
>> with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every combo of
>> jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the message
>> that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
>> Recognized"
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> John
>
> yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the
> external case. If not, visit the case's web site.
>
> Alias

John:
You mention that the Seagate is "brand new". You do have to partition &
format it before the system will recognize it. It's shouldn't be a driver
issue unless you'll be using a USB 2.0 device in a Win9x/Me environment.
Anna

Anna wrote:
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>
>>"John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB osure -
>>>with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every combo of
>>>jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the message
>>>that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
>>>Recognized"
>>>
>>>any ideas?
>>>
>>>John
>>
>>yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the
>>external case. If not, visit the case's web site.
>>
>>Alias
>

> John:
> You mention that the Seagate is "brand new". You do have to partition &
> format it before the system will recognize it. It's shouldn't be a driver
> issue unless you'll be using a USB 2.0 device in a Win9x/Me environment.
> Anna

Just to echo Anna's point.

Sometimes stuff on CDs that come with hardware are out of date either
because
a) Windows XP does a better job of it
or
b) the manufacturer has new suitable software

IMHO it is always a good idea checking out the suppliers website first.

Check software versions with the CD and think about using an update
after installation

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> >
> > "John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
> >> I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB
ure -
> >> with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every combo of
> >> jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the message
> >> that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
> >> Recognized"
> >>
> >> any ideas?
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the
> > external case. If not, visit the case's web site.
> >
> > Alias
>

> John:
> You mention that the Seagate is "brand new". You do have to partition &
> format it before the system will recognize it. It's shouldn't be a driver
> issue unless you'll be using a USB 2.0 device in a Win9x/Me environment.
> Anna

98 is a problem.
External HDDs are not problem w/98SE connected by USB2 or Firewire if the
applicable OS USB and Firewire updates are installed. ME is not a problem.

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in

> "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
> ure -

>> > yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the
>> > external case. If not, visit the case's web site.
>> >
>> > Alias
>>

>> John:
>> You mention that the Seagate is "brand new". You do have to partition
>> & format it before the system will recognize it. It's shouldn't be a
>> driver issue unless you'll be using a USB 2.0 device in a Win9x/Me
>> environment. Anna
>>

> 98 is a problem.
> External HDDs are not problem w/98SE connected by USB2 or Firewire if
> the applicable OS USB and Firewire updates are installed. ME is not a
> problem.

Can you try/have you tried the drive on a different computer?

If other USB devices work on those ports (i.e. your USB ports work), you
might try a different cable, or connect directly instead of using an
extension cable (like some that go from the back of the case to the
front). I have seen this sort of thing when the cable was bad - or too
long, especially with USB 2.0, even when the cable works for a USB 1.1
device.

If the drive is powered from the USB instead of using an external power
supply (usually only done with 2.5" drives), your ports may not be
supplying enough power - often you have to use a second cable to another
USB port for these units.

TRENDING THREADS