Adding a hard drive using a USB enclosure

I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB
closure - with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every
combo of jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the
message that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
Recognized"

any ideas?

John
5 answers Last reply
More about adding hard drive enclosure

    "John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB
    > osure - with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every
    > combo of jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the
    > message that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
    > Recognized"
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > John

    yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the external
    case. If not, visit the case's web site.

    Alias

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB osure -
    >> with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every combo of
    >> jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the message
    >> that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
    >> Recognized"
    >>
    >> any ideas?
    >>
    >> John
    >
    > yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the
    > external case. If not, visit the case's web site.
    >
    > Alias

    John:
    You mention that the Seagate is "brand new". You do have to partition &
    format it before the system will recognize it. It's shouldn't be a driver
    issue unless you'll be using a USB 2.0 device in a Win9x/Me environment.
    Anna

    Anna wrote:
    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>"John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB osure -
    >>>with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every combo of
    >>>jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the message
    >>>that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
    >>>Recognized"
    >>>
    >>>any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>John
    >>
    >>yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the
    >>external case. If not, visit the case's web site.
    >>
    >>Alias
    >

    > John:
    > You mention that the Seagate is "brand new". You do have to partition &
    > format it before the system will recognize it. It's shouldn't be a driver
    > issue unless you'll be using a USB 2.0 device in a Win9x/Me environment.
    > Anna

    Just to echo Anna's point.

    Sometimes stuff on CDs that come with hardware are out of date either
    because
    a) Windows XP does a better job of it
    or
    b) the manufacturer has new suitable software

    IMHO it is always a good idea checking out the suppliers website first.

    Check software versions with the CD and think about using an update
    after installation

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
    > >> I'm trying to get XP Home SP2 to recognize a new HD using a USB
    ure -
    > >> with a brand new seagate Barracuda 7200.7 . I've tried every combo of
    > >> jumper settings - different usb ports - no good. I get the message
    > >> that a new USB device is found - but then I get "USB Device Not
    > >> Recognized"
    > >>
    > >> any ideas?
    > >>
    > >> John
    > >
    > > yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the
    > > external case. If not, visit the case's web site.
    > >
    > > Alias
    >

    > John:
    > You mention that the Seagate is "brand new". You do have to partition &
    > format it before the system will recognize it. It's shouldn't be a driver
    > issue unless you'll be using a USB 2.0 device in a Win9x/Me environment.
    > Anna

    98 is a problem.
    External HDDs are not problem w/98SE connected by USB2 or Firewire if the
    applicable OS USB and Firewire updates are installed. ME is not a problem.

    "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in

    > "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "John" <jjshine@att.net> wrote in message
    > ure -

    >> > yeah, update the drivers which should be on the CD you got with the
    >> > external case. If not, visit the case's web site.
    >> >
    >> > Alias
    >>

    >> John:
    >> You mention that the Seagate is "brand new". You do have to partition
    >> & format it before the system will recognize it. It's shouldn't be a
    >> driver issue unless you'll be using a USB 2.0 device in a Win9x/Me
    >> environment. Anna
    >>

    > 98 is a problem.
    > External HDDs are not problem w/98SE connected by USB2 or Firewire if
    > the applicable OS USB and Firewire updates are installed. ME is not a
    > problem.

    Can you try/have you tried the drive on a different computer?

    If other USB devices work on those ports (i.e. your USB ports work), you
    might try a different cable, or connect directly instead of using an
    extension cable (like some that go from the back of the case to the
    front). I have seen this sort of thing when the cable was bad - or too
    long, especially with USB 2.0, even when the cable works for a USB 1.1
    device.

    If the drive is powered from the USB instead of using an external power
    supply (usually only done with 2.5" drives), your ports may not be
    supplying enough power - often you have to use a second cable to another
    USB port for these units.

Enclosure Hard Drives USB Windows XP