XP Home Firewire drivers

I purchased a SIIG PCI firewire adapter. It has no drivers and says that it
will use Win XP drivers. Well I installed the board and booted the pc, Win XP
recognized the hardware but could not find any drivers. I tried unplugging it
manually, installing it in another card slot with no luck. I took it back to
my pc dealer and he plugged it in his system and had no problems. I decide to
try another brand, an IO Gear GIC1394.
I had the same result. I had the installation process search my hard drive,
with no luck. I tried to have it search my Win XP CD for drivers and still no
luck. I have ALL of the windows updates installed. Any helpful comments or
suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
24 answers Last reply
More about home firewire drivers

    There should be a CD with the adapter. You should install the drivers from
    this CD before installing the firewire PCI adapter. If there is no CD, you
    should get the drivers from the manufacturers website.

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I purchased a SIIG PCI firewire adapter. It has no drivers and says that
    >it
    > will use Win XP drivers. Well I installed the board and booted the pc, Win
    > XP
    > recognized the hardware but could not find any drivers. I tried unplugging
    > it
    > manually, installing it in another card slot with no luck. I took it back
    > my pc dealer and he plugged it in his system and had no problems. I decide
    > try another brand, an IO Gear GIC1394.
    > I had the same result. I had the installation process search my hard
    > drive,
    > with no luck. I tried to have it search my Win XP CD for drivers and still
    > no
    > luck. I have ALL of the windows updates installed. Any helpful comments or
    > suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

    Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of the
    cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
    Windows drivers.

    "Americantechie" wrote:

    > There should be a CD with the adapter. You should install the drivers from
    > this CD before installing the firewire PCI adapter. If there is no CD, you
    > should get the drivers from the manufacturers website.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.americantechie.com
    >

    > "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I purchased a SIIG PCI firewire adapter. It has no drivers and says that
    > >it
    > > will use Win XP drivers. Well I installed the board and booted the pc, Win
    > > XP
    > > recognized the hardware but could not find any drivers. I tried unplugging
    > > it
    > > manually, installing it in another card slot with no luck. I took it back
    > > my pc dealer and he plugged it in his system and had no problems. I decide
    > > try another brand, an IO Gear GIC1394.
    > > I had the same result. I had the installation process search my hard
    > > drive,
    > > with no luck. I tried to have it search my Win XP CD for drivers and still
    > > no
    > > luck. I have ALL of the windows updates installed. Any helpful comments or
    > > suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

    CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of
    > the
    > cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
    > Windows drivers.

    Sorry, my other reply to Fisher was sent like a minute before you posted
    this one. Ok, so what is the model number of the PCI Firewire card?

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    The firewire card is a IO Gear GIC1394.

    "Americantechie" wrote:

    > CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of
    > > the
    > > cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
    > > Windows drivers.
    >
    > Sorry, my other reply to Fisher was sent like a minute before you posted
    > this one. Ok, so what is the model number of the PCI Firewire card?
    >
    > --
    > http://www.americantechie.com

    "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of
    > the
    > cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
    > Windows drivers.

    By the way... the following KB article backs you up. Windows XP has native
    support for both Firewire and USB... but when all else fails... you should
    always go to the manufacturers website to see if there are any other
    drivers. It will not hurt. You say there are no drivers listed at the
    website... dead end there I guess.

    Also make sure your XP installation is totally updated.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310433

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314873

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:25:34 -0500, "Americantechie"
    <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >There should be a CD with the adapter. You should install the drivers from
    >this CD before installing the firewire PCI adapter. If there is no CD, you
    >should get the drivers from the manufacturers website.

    I don't think so. XP comes with standard Firewire drivers. Both my
    Audigy2 and motherboard has Firewire ports and XP sets them up with
    drivers with no input from me needed. Niether the soundcard nor
    motherboard came with Firewire drivers of their own.Why this fellow is
    having an issue on his system is a bit baffling though. I would go
    through the steps to force hardware detection and search the XP cdrom
    for drivers again. Is unknown hardware seen in device manager?

    Thanks for your response. In the hardware/ device manager there is a yellow
    question mark next to the IEEE 1394 controller. In the help section from the
    SIIG card, it gave me locations 3 locations on my hard drive to point the
    istallation process to. All came up negative. I have tried disabling it,
    uninstalling and reinstalling,rebooting, moving the card to a different slot,
    all with the same result :(

    "Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
    > I don't think so. XP comes with standard Firewire drivers. Both my
    > Audigy2 and motherboard has Firewire ports and XP sets them up with
    > drivers with no input from me needed. Niether the soundcard nor
    > motherboard came with Firewire drivers of their own.Why this fellow is
    > having an issue on his system is a bit baffling though. I would go
    > through the steps to force hardware detection and search the XP cdrom
    > for drivers again. Is unknown hardware seen in device manager?

    Oops... I suppose I should slow down and read a little more before replying.
    I now see the adapter did not come with drivers (so no CD) and is supposed
    to run from drivers that are allready loaded on the XP system.

    Regardless of that fact the bottom line remains the same. When you install
    a hardware device, it will either find drivers and get installed
    automatically, or it will not be able to find drivers and they will have to
    be loaded. In the case that drivers are not found, you try the drivers that
    are available at the manufacturers website. I went to
    http://www.siig.com/downloads.asp and there are drivers available for their
    devices.

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    Hello. I tried to do a repair install in Windows, to have the pc load any
    missing files. First it would not let me until i uninstalled Norton Go-Back.
    So I uninstalled it. Then it went through the update process,installation,
    but when it rebooted i got the dreaded BSOD.I booted in safe mode,went to the
    System folder,then to Hardware, then to Device manager and saw that it didnt
    even see the firewire card. I turned off the power. took the firewire card
    out, rebooted and still got the BSOD. GREAT.
    I am about to format C drive and start all over. Any ideas before I do?
    Thanks.

    "Americantechie" wrote:

    > "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of
    > > the
    > > cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
    > > Windows drivers.
    >
    > By the way... the following KB article backs you up. Windows XP has native
    > support for both Firewire and USB... but when all else fails... you should
    > always go to the manufacturers website to see if there are any other
    > drivers. It will not hurt. You say there are no drivers listed at the
    > website... dead end there I guess.
    >
    > Also make sure your XP installation is totally updated.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310433
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314873
    >
    > --
    > http://www.americantechie.com

    "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I tried to do a repair install in Windows, to have the pc load any
    > missing files. First it would not let me until i uninstalled Norton
    > Go-Back.
    > So I uninstalled it. Then it went through the update process,installation,
    > but when it rebooted i got the dreaded BSOD.I booted in safe mode,went to
    > the
    > System folder,then to Hardware, then to Device manager and saw that it
    > didnt
    > even see the firewire card. I turned off the power. took the firewire card
    > out, rebooted and still got the BSOD. GREAT.
    > I am about to format C drive and start all over. Any ideas before I do?
    > Thanks.

    Yeah... rarely will you ever want to do a repair installation for any
    problem. A repair installation is not a targeted fix and as you see can
    cause more problems. Unless you know for certain that a repair installation
    should be performed (and have that idea backed up by an MSKB article that
    says as much) you should not do it.

    As a side note, the firewire card is not detected in safemode becauase
    safemode disables non essential devices.

    Because you are able to boot into safemode without getting the blue screen
    you should be able to fix your computer without doing anything drastic like
    wiping your hard drive. Safemode disables most hardware and software and
    the fact that you are able to boot into safemode means one of those items
    that were disabled is causing your problem.

    The first thing I would do is remove all devices that are not needed for the
    operation of your computer (mouse and keyboard) and reboot. If the problem
    goes away, you are looking at one of the devices you removed. Plug in one
    of those devices and reboot, rinse and repeat until you get the problem
    back. If you get the problem again after plugging in one device, you know
    it is that device that is causing the problem. Update the drivers for that
    device and you should be good to go. If you determine the problem not to be
    a hardware device, go back to safemode and perform a cleanboot per the
    following article.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

    Basically what you are doing here is using the msconfig utility to disable
    all startup items and non MS services. If you can boot to a normal desktop
    where you were not before... the problem lies in one of these startup items.
    Basically you are going to go through the same process of elimination here
    that I described for the hardware devices.

    Sorry if none of this makes sense, I just woke up. If you have any other
    questions, reply back. After you have fixed the problem, make sure you
    install all updates and service pack 2 before trying to get the firewire
    card to work again.

    Good luck!

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    Thanks for all of the info. I have no cards plugged in except for my video
    card. I have ALL Win XP updates. In device manager I have a yellow question
    mark thats says "Multimedia audio controller" Which i believe is my mobo
    sound device which I dont use, I use a SB Live card but it is unplugged
    too.The other yellow question mark says" Raid Controller" which I dont use
    either. I tried to access the mobo cd,but it cant access it in safe mode.Any
    other last ideas? Thanks

    "Americantechie" wrote:

> [...]
    > questions, reply back. After you have fixed the problem, make sure you
    > install all updates and service pack 2 before trying to get the firewire
    > card to work again.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > http://www.americantechie.com

    "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Thanks for all of the info. I have no cards plugged in except for my video
    > card. I have ALL Win XP updates. In device manager I have a yellow
    > question
    > mark thats says "Multimedia audio controller" Which i believe is my mobo
    > sound device which I dont use, I use a SB Live card but it is unplugged
    > too.The other yellow question mark says" Raid Controller" which I dont use
    > either. I tried to access the mobo cd,but it cant access it in safe

    At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
    get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave you
    earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?

    If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the firewire
    card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used USB
    2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
    the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from the
    manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do if
    you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
    instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups, and
    Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could try
    my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
    and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    I did the clean boot procedure outlined in the article and still have the
    BSOD on boot. I then go to safe mode and still have the same 2 yellow
    question marks under "other devices". I

    "Americantechie" wrote:

    > "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Thanks for all of the info. I have no cards plugged in except for my video
    > > card. I have ALL Win XP updates. In device manager I have a yellow
    > > question
    > > mark thats says "Multimedia audio controller" Which i believe is my mobo
    > > sound device which I dont use, I use a SB Live card but it is unplugged
    > > too.The other yellow question mark says" Raid Controller" which I dont use
    > > either. I tried to access the mobo cd,but it cant access it in safe
    > > mode.Any
    > > other last ideas? Thanks
    >
    > At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
    > get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave you
    > earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?
    >
    > If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the firewire
    > card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used USB
    > 2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
    > the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from the
    > manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do if
    > you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
    > instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups, and
    > Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could try
    > my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
    > and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.americantechie.com

    What does the BSOD screen say? What is the error message? Is there any
    file names mentioned?

    --
    >I did the clean boot procedure outlined in the article and still have the
    > BSOD on boot. I then go to safe mode and still have the same 2 yellow
    > question marks under "other devices". I
    >
    > "Americantechie" wrote:
    >
    >> "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > Thanks for all of the info. I have no cards plugged in except for my
    >> > video
    >> > card. I have ALL Win XP updates. In device manager I have a yellow
    >> > question
    >> > mark thats says "Multimedia audio controller" Which i believe is my
    >> > mobo
    >> > sound device which I dont use, I use a SB Live card but it is unplugged
    >> > too.The other yellow question mark says" Raid Controller" which I dont
    >> > use
    >> > either. I tried to access the mobo cd,but it cant access it in safe
    >> > mode.Any
    >> > other last ideas? Thanks
    >>
    >> At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
    >> get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave
    >> you
    >> earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?
    >>
    >> If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the
    >> firewire
    >> card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used
    >> USB
    >> 2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
    >> the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from
    >> the
    >> manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do
    >> if
    >> you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
    >> instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups,
    >> and
    >> Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could
    >> try
    >> my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
    >> and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.americantechie.com

    To be honest, it goes by so fast I have no idea what it says.

    "Americantechie" wrote:

    > What does the BSOD screen say? What is the error message? Is there any
    > file names mentioned?
    >
    > --
    > http://www.americantechie.com
    > "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I did the clean boot procedure outlined in the article and still have the
    > > BSOD on boot. I then go to safe mode and still have the same 2 yellow
    > > question marks under "other devices". I

    > >> At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
    > >> get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave
    > >> you
    > >> earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?
    > >>
    > >> If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the
    > >> firewire
    > >> card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used
    > >> USB
    > >> 2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
    > >> the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from
    > >> the
    > >> manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do
    > >> if
    > >> you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
    > >> instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups,
    > >> and
    > >> Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could
    > >> try
    > >> my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
    > >> and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.americantechie.com

    "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > To be honest, it goes by so fast I have no idea what it says.

    So you are in a boot loop then? The computer gets to the blue screen and
    then reboots? If this is the case you can go into safemode and do the
    following...

    1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    3. Clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then
    click OK. The error message should remain on the screen so that you can
    record the error information.

    This will at least stop you on the error message and give you a chance to
    read it.

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    Yes I am stuck in a boot loop. I gave up in frustration yesterday. I will do
    as you suggest and post the error message later after work. Thanks for your
    tenacity. :)

    "Americantechie" wrote:

    > "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > To be honest, it goes by so fast I have no idea what it says.
    >
    > So you are in a boot loop then? The computer gets to the blue screen and
    > then reboots? If this is the case you can go into safemode and do the
    > following...
    >
    > 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    > 2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    > 3. Clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then
    > click OK. The error message should remain on the screen so that you can
    > record the error information.
    >
    > This will at least stop you on the error message and give you a chance to
    > read it.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.americantechie.com

    Once you get over your BSOD's, you may want to load the SP1 Firewire
    drivers that work. Here's how;

    Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    the
    following files
    1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    "Firewirefix," (without quotes)

    Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
    Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

    Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    mode.

    Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
    to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
    Reboot.
    Been there, done that.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Believe that therein lies your problem. Even if the hardware is not used,
    its consuming an irq. Disable aforementioned devices in the bios setup.
    Firewire should have its own irq.

> [...]
    > > following article.
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
    > >
    > > Basically what you are doing here is using the msconfig utility to
    disable
    > > all startup items and non MS services. If you can boot to a normal
    desktop
    > > where you were not before... the problem lies in one of these startup
    items.
    > > Basically you are going to go through the same process of elimination
    here
    > > that I described for the hardware devices.
    > >
    > > Sorry if none of this makes sense, I just woke up. If you have any
    other
    > > questions, reply back. After you have fixed the problem, make sure you
    > > install all updates and service pack 2 before trying to get the firewire

    Treeman, Thanks for your input. Unfortunately my system OS disk is SP2.

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Once you get over your BSOD's, you may want to load the SP1 Firewire
    > drivers that work. Here's how;
    >
    > Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    > the
    > following files
    > 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    > enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    > Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    > "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
    >
    > Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
    > Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
    >
    > Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    > mode.
    >
    > Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
    > to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
    > Reboot.
    > Been there, done that.
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Here is the BSOD info:
    xxxSTOP: 0x0000007E (0XC0000005,0XF750A184,OXF7C8OD3C,OXF7C80438000).

    "Americantechie" wrote:

    > What does the BSOD screen say? What is the error message? Is there any
    > file names mentioned?
    >
    > --
    > http://www.americantechie.com
    > "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I did the clean boot procedure outlined in the article and still have the
    > > BSOD on boot. I then go to safe mode and still have the same 2 yellow
    > > question marks under "other devices". I

    > >> At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
    > >> get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave
    > >> you
    > >> earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?
    > >>
    > >> If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the
    > >> firewire
    > >> card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used
    > >> USB
    > >> 2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
    > >> the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from
    > >> the
    > >> manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do
    > >> if
    > >> you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
    > >> instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups,
    > >> and
    > >> Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could
    > >> try
    > >> my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
    > >> and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.americantechie.com

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Here is the BSOD info:
    > xxxSTOP: 0x0000007E (0XC0000005,0XF750A184,OXF7C8OD3C,OXF7C80438000).

    You could follow method 3, 4, and 5 from the following article. This is
    what I would do next. As I was saying earlier, you are able to boot into
    safemode. That means something that is causing problem is disabled in
    safemode, and it comes back when you are back into normal mode. It could
    very well be a device causing the problem. Methods 3, 4, and 5 deals with
    these possible problems. Write back if you need more help with them.

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    CentralCal,
    You can get the SP1 Firewire drivers off any XP SP1 CD.
    Ask a friend that's upgraded to SP2, the files are still on that
    computer.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thank you all for your time and responses. I took the format route getting
    this sorted out. I did a fresh install and everything works fine. My pc
    recognizes my DV recorder, I am able to capture and edit video. Once again,
    Thanks to you all. CC

Drivers Firewire Windows XP