XP Home Firewire drivers

July 30, 2005 4:21:02 PM

I purchased a SIIG PCI firewire adapter. It has no drivers and says that it
will use Win XP drivers. Well I installed the board and booted the pc, Win XP
recognized the hardware but could not find any drivers. I tried unplugging it
manually, installing it in another card slot with no luck. I took it back to
my pc dealer and he plugged it in his system and had no problems. I decide to
try another brand, an IO Gear GIC1394.
I had the same result. I had the installation process search my hard drive,
with no luck. I tried to have it search my Win XP CD for drivers and still no
luck. I have ALL of the windows updates installed. Any helpful comments or
suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

More about : home firewire drivers

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 30, 2005 7:25:34 PM

There should be a CD with the adapter. You should install the drivers from
this CD before installing the firewire PCI adapter. If there is no CD, you
should get the drivers from the manufacturers website.

--
http://www.americantechie.com

"CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a SIIG PCI firewire adapter. It has no drivers and says that
>it
> will use Win XP drivers. Well I installed the board and booted the pc, Win
> XP
> recognized the hardware but could not find any drivers. I tried unplugging
> it
> manually, installing it in another card slot with no luck. I took it back
> my pc dealer and he plugged it in his system and had no problems. I decide
> try another brand, an IO Gear GIC1394.
> I had the same result. I had the installation process search my hard
> drive,
> with no luck. I tried to have it search my Win XP CD for drivers and still
> no
> luck. I have ALL of the windows updates installed. Any helpful comments or
> suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
July 30, 2005 8:59:01 PM

Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of the
cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
Windows drivers.

"Americantechie" wrote:

> There should be a CD with the adapter. You should install the drivers from
> this CD before installing the firewire PCI adapter. If there is no CD, you
> should get the drivers from the manufacturers website.
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com
>

> "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I purchased a SIIG PCI firewire adapter. It has no drivers and says that
> >it
> > will use Win XP drivers. Well I installed the board and booted the pc, Win
> > XP
> > recognized the hardware but could not find any drivers. I tried unplugging
> > it
> > manually, installing it in another card slot with no luck. I took it back
> > my pc dealer and he plugged it in his system and had no problems. I decide
> > try another brand, an IO Gear GIC1394.
> > I had the same result. I had the installation process search my hard
> > drive,
> > with no luck. I tried to have it search my Win XP CD for drivers and still
> > no
> > luck. I have ALL of the windows updates installed. Any helpful comments or
> > suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

a b \ Driver
July 30, 2005 11:16:39 PM

CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of
> the
> cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
> Windows drivers.

Sorry, my other reply to Fisher was sent like a minute before you posted
this one. Ok, so what is the model number of the PCI Firewire card?

--
http://www.americantechie.com
July 30, 2005 11:16:40 PM

The firewire card is a IO Gear GIC1394.

"Americantechie" wrote:

> CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of
> > the
> > cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
> > Windows drivers.
>
> Sorry, my other reply to Fisher was sent like a minute before you posted
> this one. Ok, so what is the model number of the PCI Firewire card?
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 30, 2005 11:30:45 PM

"CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of
> the
> cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
> Windows drivers.

By the way... the following KB article backs you up. Windows XP has native
support for both Firewire and USB... but when all else fails... you should
always go to the manufacturers website to see if there are any other
drivers. It will not hurt. You say there are no drivers listed at the
website... dead end there I guess.

Also make sure your XP installation is totally updated.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310433

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314873

--
http://www.americantechie.com
July 31, 2005 2:25:34 AM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:25:34 -0500, "Americantechie"
<john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>There should be a CD with the adapter. You should install the drivers from
>this CD before installing the firewire PCI adapter. If there is no CD, you
>should get the drivers from the manufacturers website.

I don't think so. XP comes with standard Firewire drivers. Both my
Audigy2 and motherboard has Firewire ports and XP sets them up with
drivers with no input from me needed. Niether the soundcard nor
motherboard came with Firewire drivers of their own.Why this fellow is
having an issue on his system is a bit baffling though. I would go
through the steps to force hardware detection and search the XP cdrom
for drivers again. Is unknown hardware seen in device manager?
July 31, 2005 2:25:35 AM

Thanks for your response. In the hardware/ device manager there is a yellow
question mark next to the IEEE 1394 controller. In the help section from the
SIIG card, it gave me locations 3 locations on my hard drive to point the
istallation process to. All came up negative. I have tried disabling it,
uninstalling and reinstalling,rebooting, moving the card to a different slot,
all with the same result :(

"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
> I don't think so. XP comes with standard Firewire drivers. Both my
> Audigy2 and motherboard has Firewire ports and XP sets them up with
> drivers with no input from me needed. Niether the soundcard nor
> motherboard came with Firewire drivers of their own.Why this fellow is
> having an issue on his system is a bit baffling though. I would go
> through the steps to force hardware detection and search the XP cdrom
> for drivers again. Is unknown hardware seen in device manager?

Oops... I suppose I should slow down and read a little more before replying.
I now see the adapter did not come with drivers (so no CD) and is supposed
to run from drivers that are allready loaded on the XP system.

Regardless of that fact the bottom line remains the same. When you install
a hardware device, it will either find drivers and get installed
automatically, or it will not be able to find drivers and they will have to
be loaded. In the case that drivers are not found, you try the drivers that
are available at the manufacturers website. I went to
http://www.siig.com/downloads.asp and there are drivers available for their
devices.

--
http://www.americantechie.com
July 31, 2005 12:01:02 PM

Hello. I tried to do a repair install in Windows, to have the pc load any
missing files. First it would not let me until i uninstalled Norton Go-Back.
So I uninstalled it. Then it went through the update process,installation,
but when it rebooted i got the dreaded BSOD.I booted in safe mode,went to the
System folder,then to Hardware, then to Device manager and saw that it didnt
even see the firewire card. I turned off the power. took the firewire card
out, rebooted and still got the BSOD. GREAT.
I am about to format C drive and start all over. Any ideas before I do?
Thanks.

"Americantechie" wrote:

> "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply. There was no installation software for either of
> > the
> > cards that I purchased.Both of the cards websites say that their cards use
> > Windows drivers.
>
> By the way... the following KB article backs you up. Windows XP has native
> support for both Firewire and USB... but when all else fails... you should
> always go to the manufacturers website to see if there are any other
> drivers. It will not hurt. You say there are no drivers listed at the
> website... dead end there I guess.
>
> Also make sure your XP installation is totally updated.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310433
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314873
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 31, 2005 2:34:09 PM

"CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I tried to do a repair install in Windows, to have the pc load any
> missing files. First it would not let me until i uninstalled Norton
> Go-Back.
> So I uninstalled it. Then it went through the update process,installation,
> but when it rebooted i got the dreaded BSOD.I booted in safe mode,went to
> the
> System folder,then to Hardware, then to Device manager and saw that it
> didnt
> even see the firewire card. I turned off the power. took the firewire card
> out, rebooted and still got the BSOD. GREAT.
> I am about to format C drive and start all over. Any ideas before I do?
> Thanks.

Yeah... rarely will you ever want to do a repair installation for any
problem. A repair installation is not a targeted fix and as you see can
cause more problems. Unless you know for certain that a repair installation
should be performed (and have that idea backed up by an MSKB article that
says as much) you should not do it.

As a side note, the firewire card is not detected in safemode becauase
safemode disables non essential devices.

Because you are able to boot into safemode without getting the blue screen
you should be able to fix your computer without doing anything drastic like
wiping your hard drive. Safemode disables most hardware and software and
the fact that you are able to boot into safemode means one of those items
that were disabled is causing your problem.

The first thing I would do is remove all devices that are not needed for the
operation of your computer (mouse and keyboard) and reboot. If the problem
goes away, you are looking at one of the devices you removed. Plug in one
of those devices and reboot, rinse and repeat until you get the problem
back. If you get the problem again after plugging in one device, you know
it is that device that is causing the problem. Update the drivers for that
device and you should be good to go. If you determine the problem not to be
a hardware device, go back to safemode and perform a cleanboot per the
following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

Basically what you are doing here is using the msconfig utility to disable
all startup items and non MS services. If you can boot to a normal desktop
where you were not before... the problem lies in one of these startup items.
Basically you are going to go through the same process of elimination here
that I described for the hardware devices.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, I just woke up. If you have any other
questions, reply back. After you have fixed the problem, make sure you
install all updates and service pack 2 before trying to get the firewire
card to work again.

Good luck!

--
http://www.americantechie.com
July 31, 2005 2:34:10 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I have no cards plugged in except for my video
card. I have ALL Win XP updates. In device manager I have a yellow question
mark thats says "Multimedia audio controller" Which i believe is my mobo
sound device which I dont use, I use a SB Live card but it is unplugged
too.The other yellow question mark says" Raid Controller" which I dont use
either. I tried to access the mobo cd,but it cant access it in safe mode.Any
other last ideas? Thanks

"Americantechie" wrote:

> [...]
> device and you should be good to go. If you determine the problem not to be
> a hardware device, go back to safemode and perform a cleanboot per the
> following article.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
>
> Basically what you are doing here is using the msconfig utility to disable
> all startup items and non MS services. If you can boot to a normal desktop
> where you were not before... the problem lies in one of these startup items.
> Basically you are going to go through the same process of elimination here
> that I described for the hardware devices.
>
> Sorry if none of this makes sense, I just woke up. If you have any other
> questions, reply back. After you have fixed the problem, make sure you
> install all updates and service pack 2 before trying to get the firewire

July 31, 2005 5:48:43 PM

"CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for all of the info. I have no cards plugged in except for my video
> card. I have ALL Win XP updates. In device manager I have a yellow
> question
> mark thats says "Multimedia audio controller" Which i believe is my mobo
> sound device which I dont use, I use a SB Live card but it is unplugged
> too.The other yellow question mark says" Raid Controller" which I dont use
> either. I tried to access the mobo cd,but it cant access it in safe
> mode.Any
> other last ideas? Thanks

At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave you
earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?

If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the firewire
card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used USB
2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from the
manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do if
you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups, and
Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could try
my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.

--
http://www.americantechie.com
July 31, 2005 5:48:44 PM

I did the clean boot procedure outlined in the article and still have the
BSOD on boot. I then go to safe mode and still have the same 2 yellow
question marks under "other devices". I

"Americantechie" wrote:

> "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks for all of the info. I have no cards plugged in except for my video
> > card. I have ALL Win XP updates. In device manager I have a yellow
> > question
> > mark thats says "Multimedia audio controller" Which i believe is my mobo
> > sound device which I dont use, I use a SB Live card but it is unplugged
> > too.The other yellow question mark says" Raid Controller" which I dont use
> > either. I tried to access the mobo cd,but it cant access it in safe
> > mode.Any
> > other last ideas? Thanks
>
> At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
> get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave you
> earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?
>
> If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the firewire
> card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used USB
> 2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
> the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from the
> manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do if
> you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
> instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups, and
> Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could try
> my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
> and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 31, 2005 6:56:22 PM

What does the BSOD screen say? What is the error message? Is there any
file names mentioned?

--
news:D 07C66D0-CA39-492C-B772-904A5E78C8AC@microsoft.com...
>I did the clean boot procedure outlined in the article and still have the
> BSOD on boot. I then go to safe mode and still have the same 2 yellow
> question marks under "other devices". I
>
> "Americantechie" wrote:
>
>> "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Thanks for all of the info. I have no cards plugged in except for my
>> > video
>> > card. I have ALL Win XP updates. In device manager I have a yellow
>> > question
>> > mark thats says "Multimedia audio controller" Which i believe is my
>> > mobo
>> > sound device which I dont use, I use a SB Live card but it is unplugged
>> > too.The other yellow question mark says" Raid Controller" which I dont
>> > use
>> > either. I tried to access the mobo cd,but it cant access it in safe
>> > mode.Any
>> > other last ideas? Thanks
>>
>> At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
>> get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave
>> you
>> earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?
>>
>> If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the
>> firewire
>> card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used
>> USB
>> 2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
>> the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from
>> the
>> manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do
>> if
>> you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
>> instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups,
>> and
>> Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could
>> try
>> my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
>> and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.americantechie.com

July 31, 2005 7:11:03 PM

To be honest, it goes by so fast I have no idea what it says.

"Americantechie" wrote:

> What does the BSOD screen say? What is the error message? Is there any
> file names mentioned?
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com
> "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 07C66D0-CA39-492C-B772-904A5E78C8AC@microsoft.com...
> >I did the clean boot procedure outlined in the article and still have the
> > BSOD on boot. I then go to safe mode and still have the same 2 yellow
> > question marks under "other devices". I

> >> At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
> >> get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave
> >> you
> >> earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?
> >>
> >> If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the
> >> firewire
> >> card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used
> >> USB
> >> 2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
> >> the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from
> >> the
> >> manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do
> >> if
> >> you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
> >> instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups,
> >> and
> >> Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could
> >> try
> >> my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
> >> and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.americantechie.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 31, 2005 11:44:15 PM

"CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> To be honest, it goes by so fast I have no idea what it says.

So you are in a boot loop then? The computer gets to the blue screen and
then reboots? If this is the case you can go into safemode and do the
following...

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then
click OK. The error message should remain on the screen so that you can
record the error information.

This will at least stop you on the error message and give you a chance to
read it.

--
http://www.americantechie.com
August 1, 2005 10:07:01 AM

Yes I am stuck in a boot loop. I gave up in frustration yesterday. I will do
as you suggest and post the error message later after work. Thanks for your
tenacity. :)

"Americantechie" wrote:

> "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > To be honest, it goes by so fast I have no idea what it says.
>
> So you are in a boot loop then? The computer gets to the blue screen and
> then reboots? If this is the case you can go into safemode and do the
> following...
>
> 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
> 2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
> 3. Clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then
> click OK. The error message should remain on the screen so that you can
> record the error information.
>
> This will at least stop you on the error message and give you a chance to
> read it.
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 1, 2005 1:30:12 PM

Once you get over your BSOD's, you may want to load the SP1 Firewire
drivers that work. Here's how;

Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
the
following files
1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
"Firewirefix," (without quotes)

Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
mode.

Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
Reboot.
Been there, done that.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

a b \ Driver
August 1, 2005 1:34:43 PM

Believe that therein lies your problem. Even if the hardware is not used,
its consuming an irq. Disable aforementioned devices in the bios setup.
Firewire should have its own irq.

> [...]
> > following article.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
> >
> > Basically what you are doing here is using the msconfig utility to
disable
> > all startup items and non MS services. If you can boot to a normal
desktop
> > where you were not before... the problem lies in one of these startup
items.
> > Basically you are going to go through the same process of elimination
here
> > that I described for the hardware devices.
> >
> > Sorry if none of this makes sense, I just woke up. If you have any
other
> > questions, reply back. After you have fixed the problem, make sure you
> > install all updates and service pack 2 before trying to get the firewire

August 1, 2005 5:36:14 PM

Treeman, Thanks for your input. Unfortunately my system OS disk is SP2.

"Treeman" wrote:

> Once you get over your BSOD's, you may want to load the SP1 Firewire
> drivers that work. Here's how;
>
> Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
> the
> following files
> 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
> enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
> Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
> "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
>
> Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
> Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
>
> Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
> mode.
>
> Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
> to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
> Reboot.
> Been there, done that.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

August 1, 2005 7:36:01 PM

Here is the BSOD info:
xxxSTOP: 0x0000007E (0XC0000005,0XF750A184,OXF7C8OD3C,OXF7C80438000).

"Americantechie" wrote:

> What does the BSOD screen say? What is the error message? Is there any
> file names mentioned?
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com
> "CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 07C66D0-CA39-492C-B772-904A5E78C8AC@microsoft.com...
> >I did the clean boot procedure outlined in the article and still have the
> > BSOD on boot. I then go to safe mode and still have the same 2 yellow
> > question marks under "other devices". I

> >> At this point I am not sure which problem you are trying to fix. Did you
> >> get around the BSOD problem? If not, you should follow the steps I gave
> >> you
> >> earlier. If you followed those steps, what happened?
> >>
> >> If you got around the BSOD question and you are now looking at the
> >> firewire
> >> card, I am not sure how to get around that problem. I have always used
> >> USB
> >> 2.0 which require drivers so I assumed if you install a firewire card and
> >> the system is not able to find drivers, then you have to get them from
> >> the
> >> manufacturer, apparently this is not the case. I have no clue what to do
> >> if
> >> you follow the installation instructions of the hardware and those
> >> instructions don't work. I have checked all around the net, newsgroups,
> >> and
> >> Google. There does not seem to be much info on this problem. You could
> >> try
> >> my earlier suggestions (my last post before you tried the repair install)
> >> and if that does not work then I am out of ideas.
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.americantechie.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 2, 2005 12:43:59 AM

"CentralCal" <lc74email-forums@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Here is the BSOD info:
> xxxSTOP: 0x0000007E (0XC0000005,0XF750A184,OXF7C8OD3C,OXF7C80438000).

You could follow method 3, 4, and 5 from the following article. This is
what I would do next. As I was saying earlier, you are able to boot into
safemode. That means something that is causing problem is disabled in
safemode, and it comes back when you are back into normal mode. It could
very well be a device causing the problem. Methods 3, 4, and 5 deals with
these possible problems. Write back if you need more help with them.

--
http://www.americantechie.com
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 2, 2005 1:24:17 PM

CentralCal,
You can get the SP1 Firewire drivers off any XP SP1 CD.
Ask a friend that's upgraded to SP2, the files are still on that
computer.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

August 3, 2005 11:19:18 AM

Thank you all for your time and responses. I took the format route getting
this sorted out. I did a fresh install and everything works fine. My pc
recognizes my DV recorder, I am able to capture and edit video. Once again,
Thanks to you all. CC

!