Any difference in performance between PC100 and PC133 spee..

drj

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Hi. my neighbor has an older Dell Dimension 4100 system and it has a
Celeron 1Ghz processor and 256MB PC100 RAM with Windows XP Pro
installed on it. I've seen the Pentium III 1.0 Ghz CPUs out there but
still too steep. However I understand that if installed, the front
side bus speed on both the memory and the CPU will be 133 instead of
100. However, because of the price, I would like to know if changing
my Celeron 1Ghz CPU to a Pentium III 1 Ghz CPU for an increase in bus
speed is worth the trouble or if there will be no noticable difference
between PC100 and PC133 in Windows XP PRO. Below is further specs
about the two DIMMs installed in the Dell Dimension 4100. Both the
DIMMs seem to be PC133 type but are running at PC100 speed because of
the CPU of course.

CPU-Z version 1.21
Memory Modules Serial Presence Detect (SPD)

Module #1

General
Memory type SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (ADFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Size 128 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
Part number 76V16635HGT8-H

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 100 133
CAS# 2.0 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3
TRAS# 5 6

Module #2

General
Memory type SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (ADFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Size 128 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
Part number 71V16635AT8-H

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 100 133
CAS# 2.0 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3
TRAS# 5 6

No. Unless someone gives you the PIII or sells it to you ridiculously cheap,
don't waste the money.

See more benefit from maxxing the RAM at 512 and letting it all be until the
machine is due for replacement.

I just recently upgraded my wife's from 256mb to 512. It's a Dim4100 with
XP Pro and the 1GHz/PIII CPU.

Stew

<drj@p.umuc.edu> wrote in message news:B94bc.8235$pM1.2151@lakeread06...
> Hi. my neighbor has an older Dell Dimension 4100 system and it has a
> Celeron 1Ghz processor and 256MB PC100 RAM with Windows XP Pro
> installed on it. I've seen the Pentium III 1.0 Ghz CPUs out there but
> still too steep. However I understand that if installed, the front
> side bus speed on both the memory and the CPU will be 133 instead of
> 100. However, because of the price, I would like to know if changing
> my Celeron 1Ghz CPU to a Pentium III 1 Ghz CPU for an increase in bus
> speed is worth the trouble or if there will be no noticable difference
> between PC100 and PC133 in Windows XP PRO. Below is further specs
> about the two DIMMs installed in the Dell Dimension 4100. Both the
> DIMMs seem to be PC133 type but are running at PC100 speed because of
> the CPU of course.
>
> CPU-Z version 1.21
> Memory Modules Serial Presence Detect (SPD)
>
> Module #1
>
> General
> Memory type SDRAM
> Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (ADFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
> Size 128 MBytes
> Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
> Part number 76V16635HGT8-H
>
> Attributes
> Number of banks 2
> Data width 64 bits
> Correction None
> Registered no
> Buffered no
>
> Timings table
> Frequency (MHz) 100 133
> CAS# 2.0 3.0
> RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
> RAS# Precharge 2 3
> TRAS# 5 6
>

> Module #2
>
> General
> Memory type SDRAM
> Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (ADFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
> Size 128 MBytes
> Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
> Part number 71V16635AT8-H
>
> Attributes
> Number of banks 1
> Data width 64 bits
> Correction None
> Registered no
> Buffered no
>
> Timings table
> Frequency (MHz) 100 133
> CAS# 2.0 3.0
> RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
> RAS# Precharge 2 3
> TRAS# 5 6

drj

Hmmm, my neighbor and I are not really sure about going from 256MB to
512MB be it at PC100 or PC133 speeds since there comes a point at
which the speed of the memory is as important as is the amount which
was why I was originally focusing on getting the most speed out of our
existing 256MB RAM in that machine. Since there seems to be little if
any difference between PC100 and PC133 as you pointed out, I take it
that it is best to leave the 4100 in its current state if my neighbor
and I are not interested in increasing the RAM from 256 MB to 512 MB,
correct?

P.S.: For 512MB RAM, I'd much rather get a Pentium 4 system since I
can then get 512MB RAM running at 400 or even 533 as the base bus
speed. After all, the more the RAM, the faster you'd want it to
perform or it would feel like just another hard drive.

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:44:11 -0600, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@nospam.bellsouth.net> wrote:

> [...]

<drj@p.umuc.edu> wrote in message news:B94bc.8235$pM1.2151@lakeread06...
> Hi. my neighbor has an older Dell Dimension 4100 system and it has a
> Celeron 1Ghz processor and 256MB PC100 RAM with Windows XP Pro
> installed on it. I've seen the Pentium III 1.0 Ghz CPUs out there but
> still too steep. However I understand that if installed, the front
> side bus speed on both the memory and the CPU will be 133 instead of
> 100. However, because of the price, I would like to know if changing
> my Celeron 1Ghz CPU to a Pentium III 1 Ghz CPU for an increase in bus
> speed is worth the trouble or if there will be no noticable difference
> between PC100 and PC133 in Windows XP PRO. Below is further specs
> about the two DIMMs installed in the Dell Dimension 4100. Both the
> DIMMs seem to be PC133 type but are running at PC100 speed because of

Sounds like a lot of nonsense for not much if any gain to me. If there is a
difference it will not be very noticeable. Me thinks your applications would
be more important that XP.

Your bus speed is partially governed by your motherboard as well. So just
changing the processor would have miniscule improvement. Your ram would
still be running that the same speed... If it is free why not

I wouldn't worry about that little difference in memory speed.

How long do you plan on keeping the system? Increasing the memory to 512MB
would be the only thing economically worth doing. The speed difference
would be undetectable. But increasing the memory to 512MB and minimizing or
eliminating paging would make a real difference in performance.

OR

Sell the system for $100 at a yard sale and take the money, plus your
upgrade money and empty beer bottle money and buy a new system.

OR

You could live with it as long as it is does what you need it to do. Saving
a few bucks a week to buy the new system

<drj@p.umuc.edu> wrote in message news:6Y6bc.8585$pM1.1986@lakeread06...
> [...]
> >>
> >> General
> >> Memory type SDRAM
> >> Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (ADFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
> >> Size 128 MBytes
> >> Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
> >> Part number 76V16635HGT8-H
> >>
> >> Attributes
> >> Number of banks 2
> >> Data width 64 bits
> >> Correction None
> >> Registered no
> >> Buffered no
> >>
> >> Timings table
> >> Frequency (MHz) 100 133
> >> CAS# 2.0 3.0
> >> RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
> >> RAS# Precharge 2 3
> >> TRAS# 5 6
> >>

> >> Module #2
> >>
> >> General
> >> Memory type SDRAM
> >> Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (ADFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)

drj

Thanks everyone for your input.

P.S.: I got an email this morning with a link to clear up even more
confusion about the differences between PC100 and PC133 in terms of
performance. It seems that most PC133 DIMMs come in the form of CAS3
for PC133 CAS2 for PC100. I'm told that the only way to notice the
difference between PC100 and PC133 is when I compare PC100 at CAS2 to
PC133 at CAS2 and even then the difference appears to be minimal as I
looked up the game tweaking archives on the net as was suggested since
games are usually the only place one would even notice any difference
between PC100 and PC133. The same thing seems to be the case for the
processors. Even though the Celeron 1.1 Ghz is PC100 with 128k L2
cache and 4-way associative while the Pentium III 1.0 Ghz is PC133
with 256k L2 cache and 8-way associative as I am getting to know some
more about this, amazingly I found no difference whatsoever even on
the recent games such as Unreal Tournament 2003, Max Payne 2, and
others after I found the benchmark results on the Internet.

<drj@p.umuc.edu> wrote in message news:6Y6bc.8585$pM1.1986@lakeread06...
> Hmmm, my neighbor and I are not really sure about going from 256MB to
> 512MB be it at PC100 or PC133 speeds since there comes a point at
> which the speed of the memory is as important as is the amount which
> was why I was originally focusing on getting the most speed out of our
> existing 256MB RAM in that machine. Since there seems to be little if
> any difference between PC100 and PC133 as you pointed out, I take it
> that it is best to leave the 4100 in its current state if my neighbor
> and I are not interested in increasing the RAM from 256 MB to 512 MB,
> correct?
>
> P.S.: For 512MB RAM, I'd much rather get a Pentium 4 system since I
> can then get 512MB RAM running at 400 or even 533 as the base bus
> speed. After all, the more the RAM, the faster you'd want it to
> perform or it would feel like just another hard drive.

<snip>

For me, the difference in performance from 256mb to 512mb (max amount) in
the 4100 was/is worth it. The machine responds more crisply to a notable
degree. The difference was enough that I'm currently eyeing ebay for another
256mb SODIMM for my Latitude CPxJ650 (PIII, 100mhz FSB).

A lot of these decisions will hinge on your personal use and preferences.
On these two machines, I just want to get another 2-3 useful years out of
them with our modest demands.

Stew

"SQLit" <SQLitnospam@cox.net> wrote:

><drj@p.umuc.edu> wrote in message news:B94bc.8235$pM1.2151@lakeread06...
>> Hi. my neighbor has an older Dell Dimension 4100 system and it has a
>> Celeron 1Ghz processor and 256MB PC100 RAM with Windows XP Pro
>> installed on it. I've seen the Pentium III 1.0 Ghz CPUs out there but
>> still too steep. However I understand that if installed, the front
>> side bus speed on both the memory and the CPU will be 133 instead of
>> 100. However, because of the price, I would like to know if changing
>> my Celeron 1Ghz CPU to a Pentium III 1 Ghz CPU for an increase in bus
>> speed is worth the trouble or if there will be no noticable difference
>> between PC100 and PC133 in Windows XP PRO. Below is further specs
>> about the two DIMMs installed in the Dell Dimension 4100. Both the
>> DIMMs seem to be PC133 type but are running at PC100 speed because of
>> the CPU of course.
>
>Sounds like a lot of nonsense for not much if any gain to me. If there is a
>difference it will not be very noticeable. Me thinks your applications would
>be more important that XP.
>
>Your bus speed is partially governed by your motherboard as well. So just
>changing the processor would have miniscule improvement. Your ram would
>still be running that the same speed... If it is free why not

Simply adding 256 or 512MB of ram may be the best value...