Bertter machine but worse performance?

EFSEAR

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Hi all new member here :hello:

I'd like some opinions if that's ok, as I've just bought a new computer for £1490 as I've had my old one for over 2 years now. The main components are:

Processor Intel® Core™i7 Processor i7-870 (2.93GHz) 8MB Cache + HyperThreading

Memory 8GB CORSAIR DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz

Motherboard INTEL® DH55TC: uATX, DDR3, 6 x USB 2.0, 1 X PCI, 2 X PCI-Ex

Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

1.5TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE

8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE

1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5850 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

ASUS XONAR DS - Bring Hi-Fi spirit to your Music, Movie & Games

800W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

-------------------

The thing is I'm not sure it's any better frames per second wise for gaming as my old computer, which has:

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Memory 3GB Corsair DDR3

Motherboard ECS P965T-A

OS Genuine Windows Vista 32 Bit

250GB SATA HD

1GB ATI RADEON HD 4870 PCI EXPRESS

--------------------

Now I swear, gaming performance is the same, if not better in some cases on my old machine. And I've noticed slight stuttering on the new machine. How can that be? The new machine is brand spanking new so at the moment has no software hogging it down, it's a blank slate just after installing the Windows 7 OS and a few games to test it, which were STALKER - CoP and Dead Space.

I still have the Vista OS disk from my old machine, I even have an XP OS disc from an earlier time somewhere as well on hand ready. So if need be I will use one one of them if necessary to get the performance I'm after.

So what could be the problem? Opinions welcome, thanks.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
use a smalled HDD, use the big drive for archiving, the computer is spendind a lot of time looking through the GIANT DRIVE for files, and the video card is better than the old one, but it could be a driver issue also

The system is not spending a bunch of time searching the drive for files. It indexes those files once, then updates the index as necessary when new files and folders are added. That 1.5TB drive should also be fast enough that if there was significant activity with the game running, in addition to some indexing in the background, the drive, and the rest of the system should be able to handle the load. This more likely a driver issue.

@ EFSEAR

Are you running those games at the exact same detail levels as on your old system?