{Paint} Washes, inks, etc.

So, I've discovered a new wash in VMC "Smoke", a nice, grimy brown. My
question to the populace is: what other washes, inks, etc. would you
suggest I try? GW inks are nice, but a bit to bright for my taste. Im
looking for a good, all-purpose "hide the spots I couldnt get" wash/ink.
Maybe someone has a wash/ink recipe that might fit the bill?

thx

drgrbek

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ryan Elkins said

> So, I've discovered a new wash in VMC "Smoke", a nice, grimy brown. My
> question to the populace is: what other washes, inks, etc. would you
> suggest I try? GW inks are nice, but a bit to bright for my taste. Im
> looking for a good, all-purpose "hide the spots I couldnt get" wash/ink.
> Maybe someone has a wash/ink recipe that might fit the bill?

Windsor and Newton inks.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

Ryan Elkins wrote:
> Im looking for a good, all-purpose "hide the spots I couldnt get" wash/ink.
> Maybe someone has a wash/ink recipe that might fit the bill?

Try thinned paint. It's more opaque than pure inks or standard washes.

Personally, I use a lot of thinned Floquil Engine Black as a wash.

\-|-/

In article <f7FDe.7980$k_.2151@trnddc07>, John Hwang,
JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Ryan Elkins wrote:
> > Im looking for a good, all-purpose "hide the spots I couldnt get" wash/ink.
> > Maybe someone has a wash/ink recipe that might fit the bill?
>
> Try thinned paint. It's more opaque than pure inks or standard washes.
>
> Personally, I use a lot of thinned Floquil Engine Black as a wash.

I tend to use thinned paint (with either acrylic mat medium which
gives similar results to 'Future Floor Wax' - i.e. the paint particles
settles more in the nooks and crannys) when I only want to change the
recessed areas of a mini - and inks more when I want to do an overall
value or color 'tweak' of a given area.

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

Myrmidon wrote:
> John Hwang, JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed ...
>>>Im looking for a good, all-purpose "hide the spots I couldnt get" wash/ink.
>>>Maybe someone has a wash/ink recipe that might fit the bill?
>>
>>Try thinned paint. It's more opaque than pure inks or standard washes.
>>
>>Personally, I use a lot of thinned Floquil Engine Black as a wash.
>
> I tend to use thinned paint (with either acrylic mat medium which
> gives similar results to 'Future Floor Wax' - i.e. the paint particles
> settles more in the nooks and crannys) when I only want to change the
> recessed areas of a mini

I just layer paint really thin into the shadows.

> inks more when I want to do an overall
> value or color 'tweak' of a given area.

I've moved away from inking, as the color intensity is too high.
Lately, I've been using inks to tint color mixes from a white, pale
grey, or blue-grey paint base.

\-|-/