Reiten

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
I need to get a new desktop to replace my ancient one. However, I want to keep my two existing HDs as they're both relatively new. I'm looking at a Dell 9100 and need to ask a question. If I only have one DVD-r/w drive, can I hook up my existing 2 drives (non-SATA) w/ the included SATA drive? So a total of 3HD with one DVD drive. I know I'll need to figure out a way to secure the 3rd HD, but otherwise will this work? Anything special I need to know or do?

The HD faq seemed to indicate that this should work, but I wanted to make sure as it will affect the size of drive I buy with the Dell. Thanks!

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
It will work as long as the Dell mobo has two IDE channels which it should. Another option would be to add a PCI HDD controller card to add even more devices.

....WW (5.1)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell 9100? Standard Intel chipset? Nope, you'll only get one ATA100 connector, supporting at most two 40-pin drives. That is, unless Dell is being generous and adding an onboard PCI controller chip.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Er, Intel's PCI-Express chipsets only support one ATA100 channel plus SATA. His board would need an onboard PCI IDE controller chip to support more.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That means you can connect up to 4 SATA hard drives. But you specifically asked about non-SATA IDE drives (parallel ATA, ie, 40-pin), and your chipset only supports one header for up to two drives. And those positions are likely taken already by optical drives (DVD, CD drives).

Reiten

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
Just one quick follow-up question. (if I need to take this to a different part of the forums, just tell me)

A PCI IDE controller card was mentioned as a possible solution. I'd never even heard of them before, but will that work with this chipset?

Thanks for putting up with my questions!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, an IDE controller card would work fine. In the U.S., 99% of them are bootable. While non-bootable cards are cheaper, you might have a hard time finding one.

Because card BIOS can override motherboard BIOS for boot order in some systems, if you're stuck with a bootable card, you might try to find one where boot BIOS can be disabled.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Back in the days when a cheap bootable card was $25, you could find a non-bootable card for $18. Non-bootable would be better for adding drives that you don't want to boot from. But non-bootable cards are getting rare, he might have to step up to a $50 card just to get the option to disable the boot feature!