Need help finding the right memory for life.

quicksilver17

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2005
I have read many post about Ram Timing and they seem to conflict with each other, so I need help on getting it straight.

1. If the mobo's standard ram's speed is ,say, 400/3200. Is it alright to use a higher speed such as 500/4000?

2. Is it better to have a Ram's Timing higher or Lower?

3. What do I need to look for in Ram ,for a gaming rig?

4. What is the Best Ram to buy?

I will be using a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+.

Thx in advance.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
1) yes, it will run at 400/3200 speed, but that's fine.

2) Lower = less latency, higher = more latency. Lower = more performance, higher = more stable. (the answer depends on your needs)

3) Are you verclocking? Generally lower latency. But if you overclock, you want headroom for overclocking, but you can use a memory divider if you're on a budget, so... (sorry - not a simple answer)

4) Everyone has their own favorites. Crucial, Corsair, etc. all have good products, so it kindof depends on the details.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Good Answers above.

Just want to add some more comments:

1. Most DDR-400 modules will not run at DDR-500, unless they are specified to run at DDR-500. Changing the bus speed on the motherboard to support DDR-500 (when you are using DDR-400) may prevent your system from booting.

2. Read above. Also, it is not recommended to change a module's latency unless the module is stated to support that latency.

3. Gaming = perfromance. However, after you pass a certain threshold, your system will become unstable. For DDR-400+ CL2 is normally the best there is.

4. Best RAM? good question. Basically, it depends what kind of chips the module uses. For gaming rigs, I see that the most popular (or "best") chips are Samsung (-TCCD) or Windond (BH-5, CH-5). Crucial (Micron) has good memory too.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley

quicksilver17

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2005
I will be OCing, but only with the help of the Ai from Asus.

Also what is ECC, and is it better to have it?

Thx for all the helpful replies, again.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
if you insist the Abit falatil1ty (spelling correct is needed here lol) is a mobo with lots of feature and nice OC potential and the DFI lanparty is know for having trouble with the X2s and some ram and other stuff goto www.dfi-street.com and ask if ur setup is good if ya decide to go with DFI lanparties

AMD A64 3200+Venice
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 3-3-3-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC