Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Downgrade 7 back to XP

Last response: in Windows 7
October 6, 2012 6:28:40 PM

Hello,
I'm working on a friends laptop. He asked me to get rid of Win7 on it. He had Xp and another friend thought he'd do him a favor and install 7...on this 2005 Toshiba with .5 GB of RAM, single core processor and 80gb hard drive...it is to laugh. So I am trying to revert it and have had no luck. It was an upgrade install because I see the win.old in the root, and I have salvaged the guys pics, and music, ect...

How do I revert with no disks....either 7 or xp

More about : downgrade back

a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 6:58:33 PM

Since he probably no longer has his disks that came with the machine, and if there isn't an OEM recovery partition, he will need to buy a copy of XP.

There is no true upgrade install from XP to 7, it really is a clean install. See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrad... Thus, there is no way to "recover" from the install without doing a clean install of XP from a disk or from a recovery partition, which may or may not work to fix this issue.
m
l
October 6, 2012 7:21:18 PM

I borrowed an XP cd and it wont let me run it because there is "a newer version" of windows...arghhh. THe guy's key for a copy is on the bottom of hte laptop. I can't seem to wipe the c: drive or boot he cd....is there a program that can boot and wipe the hard drive before win 7 starts?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 7:26:00 PM

You will need to reformat the drive which you may be able to do with a Win7 disk, just stop after deleting the partitions, and then do the OS install from XP. While you are at it I would get rid of all partitions on there -- remember that there will be at least 2, the SRP and the C drive.
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 7:53:59 PM

Use hirens boot cd or a live linux CD and format the drive.
m
l
October 6, 2012 7:57:31 PM

daship said:
Use hirens boot cd or a live linux CD and format the drive.

I also have Linux for this as well
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 7:58:56 PM

Hi :) 

You can BOOT from the XP cd and format...etc...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 8:31:51 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You can BOOT from the XP cd and format...etc...

All the best Brett :) 

Ya, he tried it. Says sorry newer version detected. Got to figure a way around it hence a live CD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 8:40:08 PM

As you know, Win does that when it does the initial check to look for Windows installations even if it just an SP1 install and you have an original disk, using the W7 disk to unpartition and then cancelling the install works fine, although there are many other tools that will work.
m
l
October 6, 2012 9:18:06 PM

all right ill give it a shot....any links while I'll I search?
m
l
October 6, 2012 9:20:07 PM

jeeez I miss dos
m
l
October 6, 2012 9:23:25 PM

downloading hirens 15....I'm gonna try it on a usb to save time of burning a cd...think it'll work?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 9:26:04 PM

gabeochu said:
jeeez I miss dos
Not me! I have a DOS 3.1 and 6.2 VM (VMWare 8) to keep me company, I still run some old astronomy and game programs on them, although I have to look at my DOS bible a lot more than I used to.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 9:27:35 PM

gabeochu said:
downloading hirens 15....I'm gonna try it on a usb to save time of burning a cd...think it'll work?
Hiren's 15 is very helpful, but I don't know if your old laptop will boot off USB.
m
l
October 6, 2012 9:29:43 PM

Maybe not....but there is an option in BIOS...I put CD at top USB then HDD...almost donw dwn loading hirens...will report back shortly
m
l
October 6, 2012 10:02:34 PM

Just went ahead and put it on a dvd. Works. Erasing disk now....says its gonna take 45 min. Hopefully this works and I can do a fresh install.

I'll report back.
BTW Thanks all, especially you beast.
m
l
October 8, 2012 10:20:15 PM

Best answer selected by gabeochu.
m
l
!