1394 connection?

Running XP Home on a laptop I inherited, I find in the Network Connections
that I have in addition to Local Area Connection and Wireless Network
Connection - both of which I have set up, that there is also a "1394
Connection/1394 Net Adapter".

What is this? Is this firewire or something else?

Jeff
11 answers Last reply
More about 1394 connection

    Jeff wrote:

    > Running XP Home on a laptop I inherited, I find in the Network
    > Connections that I have in addition to Local Area Connection and
    > Wireless Network Connection - both of which I have set up, that there
    > is also a "1394 Connection/1394 Net Adapter".
    >
    > What is this? Is this firewire or something else?
    >
    > Jeff

    Yes. Next time, use Google. A nice thing that Google has is the "define"
    search tool. Type in "define 1394" without quotes and get exactly what
    you are looking for.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    > Running XP Home on a laptop I inherited, I find in the Network Connections
    > that I have in addition to Local Area Connection and Wireless Network
    > Connection - both of which I have set up, that there is also a "1394
    > Connection/1394 Net Adapter".
    >
    > What is this? Is this firewire or something else?
    >
    > Jeff

    Funny,I was just about to ask the same thing,and how to get rid of it.I have
    an SMC 10/100 Net adapter amd want to use that.I have disabled 1394 in
    Network Connections in Control Panel,I have deleted it from Device Manager
    but it just keeps coming back and taking control.What to do?

    Kipper wrote:

    > "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    >> Running XP Home on a laptop I inherited, I find in the Network
    >> Connections that I have in addition to Local Area Connection and
    >> Wireless Network Connection - both of which I have set up, that there
    >> is also a "1394 Connection/1394 Net Adapter".
    >>
    >> What is this? Is this firewire or something else?
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >

    > Funny,I was just about to ask the same thing,and how to get rid of
    > it.I have an SMC 10/100 Net adapter amd want to use that.I have
    > disabled 1394 in Network Connections in Control Panel,I have deleted
    > it from Device Manager but it just keeps coming back and taking
    > control.What to do?

    Taking control? I've never seen firewire do that and I have it on all my
    machines. Are you sure you aren't using it for a device like an iPod or
    the like? Don't delete it from Device Manager; just right-click its
    entry and disable it.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    Thank you and also for the help with google.

    Jeff

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:11:22 -0700, "Kipper" <pushticat@shaw.ca>
    wrote:

    >Funny,I was just about to ask the same thing,and how to get rid of it.I have
    >an SMC 10/100 Net adapter amd want to use that.I have disabled 1394 in
    >Network Connections in Control Panel,I have deleted it from Device Manager
    >but it just keeps coming back and taking control.What to do?

    Don't delete it in device manager or it will keep coming back, as you
    see. Just disable it in device manager if you don't need firewire, or
    better yet, disable it in your motherboard's bios settings.

    Fisher wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:11:22 -0700, "Kipper" <pushticat@shaw.ca>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Funny,I was just about to ask the same thing,and how to get rid of
    >> it.I have an SMC 10/100 Net adapter amd want to use that.I have
    >> disabled 1394 in Network Connections in Control Panel,I have deleted
    >> it from Device Manager but it just keeps coming back and taking
    >> control.What to do?
    >>

    > Don't delete it in device manager or it will keep coming back, as you
    > see. Just disable it in device manager if you don't need firewire, or
    > better yet, disable it in your motherboard's bios settings.

    What harm does it do to leave it enabled? Does it use up memory?

    Jeff

    wrote:

    >"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    >> Running XP Home on a laptop I inherited, I find in the Network Connections
    >> that I have in addition to Local Area Connection and Wireless Network
    >> Connection - both of which I have set up, that there is also a "1394
    >> Connection/1394 Net Adapter".
    >>
    >> What is this? Is this firewire or something else?
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >

    >Funny,I was just about to ask the same thing,and how to get rid of it.I have
    >an SMC 10/100 Net adapter amd want to use that.I have disabled 1394 in
    >Network Connections in Control Panel,I have deleted it from Device Manager
    >but it just keeps coming back and taking control.What to do?

    Leave it alone its harmless. "Taking Control" FFS its firewire thats
    all.

    You may even need it one day.

    Jonah

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:53:17 -0400, "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote:

    >What harm does it do to leave it enabled? Does it use up memory?
    >
    >Jeff

    No harm, just takes up an IRQ.

    "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    > Running XP Home on a laptop I inherited, I find in the Network Connections
    > that I have in addition to Local Area Connection and Wireless Network
    > Connection - both of which I have set up, that there is also a "1394
    > Connection/1394 Net Adapter".
    >
    > What is this? Is this firewire or something else?
    >
    > Jeff

    Yes, its Firewire. Also known as IEEE 1394. Some people use this, instead
    of USB2, for an external hard drive connection. Many digital cameras and
    digital camcorders use this connection natively. Very fast connection. I
    use it for both.

    In article <#zC1WFplFHA.3780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Lil' Dave"
    <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:
    >"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    >> Running XP Home on a laptop I inherited, I find in the Network Connections
    >> that I have in addition to Local Area Connection and Wireless Network
    >> Connection - both of which I have set up, that there is also a "1394
    >> Connection/1394 Net Adapter".
    >>
    >> What is this? Is this firewire or something else?
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >
    >Yes, its Firewire. Also known as IEEE 1394. Some people use this, instead
    >of USB2, for an external hard drive connection. Many digital cameras and
    >digital camcorders use this connection natively. Very fast connection. I
    >use it for both.

    Yes. It appears in the Network Connections folder because you can use
    it for networking. I've connected three of my computers in a FireWire
    network, which I use for transferring large files. It's much faster
    than an Ethernet network.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <#zC1WFplFHA.3780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Lil' Dave"
    > <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:
    > >"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    > >> Running XP Home on a laptop I inherited, I find in the Network
    Connections
    > >> that I have in addition to Local Area Connection and Wireless Network
    > >> Connection - both of which I have set up, that there is also a "1394
    > >> Connection/1394 Net Adapter".
    > >>
    > >> What is this? Is this firewire or something else?
    > >>
    > >> Jeff
    > >
    > >Yes, its Firewire. Also known as IEEE 1394. Some people use this,
    instead
    > >of USB2, for an external hard drive connection. Many digital cameras and
    > >digital camcorders use this connection natively. Very fast connection.
    > >use it for both.
    >
    > Yes. It appears in the Network Connections folder because you can use
    > it for networking. I've connected three of my computers in a FireWire
    > network, which I use for transferring large files. It's much faster
    > than an Ethernet network.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    My son is interested in networking, and would like to try it. He has a very
    late model PC w/XP HE and a native firewire port, and a minimal PC w/98 on
    it with one spare PCI slot and slow USB only.

    Is networking these two doable via firewire if he added a firewire card in
    the latter PC?

    I suggested USB WIFI to avoid opening the PCs for NICs and cross-over cable.

    Another quiestion regarding Firewire networking is how. Have a PC and a
    notebook both with firewire. I currently use the Firewire HD to share files
    by plugging them in the corresponding PC/notebook. Got a weblink or two for
    how? How about security if one is connected to the internet in the
    meantime?

Wireless Network Connection Microsoft Windows XP