Hauppauge 150 for Consoles.

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
I know this is a mostly dead forum, but I hope for someone who could help.

I have the Hauppauge 150 TV card. I try hooking up the old Mega Drive console via a standard coaxial cable. I also have Beyond TV 3.5 software, it detects the console, sound is perfect, but image is crap: colors look fine but there is this strong "flickering" from left to right and slightly on diagonal, so the image is strongly distorted. Is there ANY way to use this card to play consoles?

Also, I tried hooking up the X-Box using the composite video input (yellow colour male jack in), image is kind of fine, but how on earth do I manage the sound? The two standard X-Box cables (red and white which fit any TV perfectly fine) are nowhere to stick into.

<font color=green><i>- AMD A64 X2 @ 5100MHz
- OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR510 2.5-3-3-5
- ATI X800XL (445MHz core & 570MHz mem)
- WD 2x74GB Raptor RAID0 @ 10000rpm
- Watercooled</i></font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh gawd...

Hauppauge is supposed to have a viewer program. BeyondTV is probably the WORST thing you can use, because BeyondTV uses buffering, which would make your games extremely laggy.

So figure out how to get the program Hauppauge was supposed to include with the card.

SOUND goes in through your SOUND card. Most tuner cards have a sound input, some don't, but they pass sound through to the soundcard's CD-In or internal AUX connector, or back out to the external Line-In jack. You can connect the console directly to the Line-In jack if it has RCA audio outputs, by getting an adapter cable.

RCA Stereo to stereo minijack cables are quite common, they made their big market move back in the days when people could only afford a portable CD player to connect to their home stereo. Generally around 3 feet in length.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Hmm, I have tried the default software (WinTV2000?) ... but not with the console ... I'll give it a try today.

Thanks for info on sound. What I basically need is "Y-shape" adapter which accepts the generic stereo sound via two cables (from X-Box) and has phones jack shaped output, will have to look around 'cause I haven't seen them for now.

<font color=green><i>- AMD A64 X2 @ 5100MHz

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We have a local department/grociery store chain (like, 6 states local) called Meijer, they've carried them since the late 80's.

I'm sure finding such a cable will not be difficult, but they're expensive, I think my last one cost $3.85! I could have gotten a 2 cheesburger value meal for that!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
WinTV gave no luck, the same issue (flickering). What software would you recommend?

I haven't really looked for the adapter yet, I just remember no seeing them right before my eyes, I bet they have them in store if asked.

<font color=green><i>- AMD A64 X2 @ 2x2550MHz

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a problem with some setting...I don't know the details for fixing it, I usually just poke around at programs until I find a solution.