Best antivirus & anti malware products

j_lack51

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hello,

I am trying to purchase the best anti-virus anti & anti malware for windows 7. I currently show I have Mozilla firefox, Quick Heal anti-virus and anti-malware. I have since found out the Quick heal products are fraudulent. I have used Norton in the past and McAfee. What do you recommend? I would appreciate honesty in the product recommended. Thanks for your help.
Jane

RealBeast

Titan
I use the free stuff -- MS Security Essentials and Antimalwarebytes -- can't beat the price. When things go horribly bad, it's always helpful to have a copy of the free Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 CD laying around.

If you want to spend money, Kaspersky is excellent and often finds stuff nothing else does, probably because they are outside the US and don't give the NSA a free pass, but probably do for the old KGB guys (end paranoia).

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
You can protect your computer for free. Try Avast and Avira, these offer free versions for home users and provide good real-time protection. These will provide the protection against many kind of malware too. According to my own internet research, Avast (free version) is pretty good overall when compared to other free antiviruses. Though, my real experience is about Avira and my computer never had an issue about any malware up to date. But if you want the best protection, use an antivirus PLUS an anti-malware software such as Malwarebyte's Anti-malware or Spybot Search and Destroy. Spybot is free and Malwarebyte's has a free version. You can let your antivirus's realtime protection always on and do manual scans with one of these anti-malware programs. Remember to update these often :)

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Comodo is pretty good (Free, too.). The consensus at the moment is to get Comodo firewall and Avira antivir, but I could never get the two to play nicely, so I just stuck with the Comodo Internet Security Suite.

It does give quite a few false positives, but it also finds true viruses as well as any other anti-virus, AFAIK.