Tools to keep my machine running smoothly

I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea of it
taking over my PC. Can anyone out there recommend a set of good tools (or a
suite) other than Norton? I'd like to be as sure as I can that I can
recover from most mistakes. Thanks........

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
> I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea of it
> taking over my PC.

You done good. Maintain your PC yourself using XP's built-in tools.

Malke

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

> I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea
> of it
> taking over my PC. Can anyone out there recommend a set of good tools
> (or a
> suite) other than Norton? I'd like to be as sure as I can that I can
> recover from most mistakes. Thanks........

1. Ad-aware (free)
2. Spybot Search & Destroy (free)
3. Disk Cleanup (built into XP) - Start>Run>cleanmgr [enter]
4. Defrag in Safe Mode once every 6 months or if I ever think to
5. Good full-featured antivirus (I use F-Prot)
6. Firewall - either XPSP2's built-in one (depends on you) or something
free like Kerio, Sygate, or ZoneAlarm.
7. Don't download cr*p.
8. Don't run beta software.
9. Don't click on suspect links.
10. System Restore works well for very short-term stuff but if you don't
mess up your machine you won't need it.
11. Oh, and don't install drivers from Windows Update.
12. Keep your operating system and major apps patched for security
flaws.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Pike wrote:
> "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
> >> I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea of
> >> it
> >> taking over my PC.
> >
> > You done good. Maintain your PC yourself using XP's built-in tools.
> >

> I have this program and wonder why you say it took over your computer and
> why the other person agrees that you did the right thing.

I began using Norton products before dirt was invented. As time passed,
it became more and more demanding - pay attention: it became more and
more demanding - of my system resources. In many cases, its use caused
my system to be unstable.

PLUS... as that time passed I also grew more and more aware of the lack
of value that my annual renewal of NSW provided me.

I haven't used ANY Norton product for maybe 4 years now. I am much
happier for that.

In news:A6TGe.54011$rb6.2456@lakeread07,
+++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> typed:

> I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the
> idea
> of it taking over my PC. Can anyone out there recommend a set
> of
> good tools (or a suite) other than Norton? I'd like to be as
> sure as
> I can that I can recover from most mistakes. Thanks........

I see that Malke posted an excellent list with which I agree, but
I'd like to add a comment about utility suites.

My advice is to avoid all suites. Besides most of these programs
being unnecessary, and in some cases downright dangerous, I don't
like the idea of "suites." I believe in separately choosing the
best program in each category that I want, without regard to what
(or even whether) suite it's in.

Please reply to the newsgroup

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001

"The Cuddly Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>> I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea of
>> it
>> taking over my PC.
>
> You done good. Maintain your PC yourself using XP's built-in tools.

I have this program and wonder why you say it took over your computer and
why the other person agrees that you did the right thing.

Pike

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001

> Pike wrote:
>> "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > You done good. Maintain your PC yourself using XP's built-in tools.
>> >

>> I have this program and wonder why you say it took over your computer and
>> why the other person agrees that you did the right thing.
>
> I began using Norton products before dirt was invented. As time passed,
> it became more and more demanding - pay attention: it became more and
> more demanding - of my system resources. In many cases, its use caused
> my system to be unstable.

What do you use to monitor your system resources?

I'm not using things like the system doctor to constantly monitor things.

I just bought it, along with the 2005 firewall and the spam software.

I have read other remarks like yours on tech forums, so, you are not alone
in how you feel.

Thanks

> PLUS... as that time passed I also grew more and more aware of the lack
> of value that my annual renewal of NSW provided me.
>
> I haven't used ANY Norton product for maybe 4 years now. I am much
> happier for that.

Malke

Pike wrote:

> "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>>> I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea
>>> of it
>>> taking over my PC.
>>
>> You done good. Maintain your PC yourself using XP's built-in tools.
>>

> I have this program and wonder why you say it took over your computer
> and why the other person agrees that you did the right thing.
>
> Pike

Do a Google Groups Advanced Search using this newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) and the search term "Norton
problems" and you can make up your own mind about it. If it works well
for you, great. Most techs (including me) don't recommend Norton
products any more.

Malke
--

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Pike wrote:
>

>> "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You done good. Maintain your PC yourself using XP's built-in tools.
>>>

>> I have this program and wonder why you say it took over your computer
>> and why the other person agrees that you did the right thing.
>>
>> Pike
>
> Do a Google Groups Advanced Search using this newsgroup
> (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) and the search term "Norton
> problems" and you can make up your own mind about it. If it works well
> for you, great. Most techs (including me) don't recommend Norton
> products any more.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

I just bought it. However, I will have no problem removing it should it
begin to cause problems.

I wanted a good program to clean the registry as I am clueless in thata rea
and never dabble there. I had tried Easycleaner and it wouldn't let me undo
changes it made, so, I removed it and went in search of Norton's software,
mainly because I was already using their 2004 Internet Security and had no
problems with it.

I will go and do as you suggested at google as I want to know.

Thanks

Pike

Malke

Pike wrote:

> I just bought it. However, I will have no problem removing it should
> it begin to cause problems.
>
> I wanted a good program to clean the registry as I am clueless in
> thata rea and never dabble there. I had tried Easycleaner and it
> wouldn't let me undo changes it made, so, I removed it and went in
> search of Norton's software, mainly because I was already using their
> 2004 Internet Security and had no problems with it.
>

> I will go and do as you suggested at google as I want to know.

While you're at it, in Google Groups Advanced, search this newsgroup for
"registry cleaners" and you'll see how most techs feel about *that*,
too. ;-)

Malke
--

> Pike wrote:
>
>> I just bought it. However, I will have no problem removing it should
>> it begin to cause problems.
>>
>> I wanted a good program to clean the registry as I am clueless in
>> thata rea and never dabble there. I had tried Easycleaner and it
>> wouldn't let me undo changes it made, so, I removed it and went in
>> search of Norton's software, mainly because I was already using their
>> 2004 Internet Security and had no problems with it.
>>

>> I will go and do as you suggested at google as I want to know.
>>

> While you're at it, in Google Groups Advanced, search this newsgroup for
> "registry cleaners" and you'll see how most techs feel about *that*,
> too. ;-)
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

:) Well, I have uninstalled my Norton System Works.

I will aggsin, do as you suggest about reg cleaners.

I suppose the only soultion is to learn the registry.

Do workshop classes for XP offered by colleges teach anything about the
registry?

Pike

"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea of it
>taking over my PC. Can anyone out there recommend a set of good tools (or
>a suite) other than Norton? I'd like to be as sure as I can that I can
>recover from most mistakes. Thanks........

At the risk of the wrath of the other techs here I have a somewhat
dissenting opinion. Norton System Works has some useful features when used
with knowledge and caution. In it's default install it is horrible, will
take over your computer, and usually causes more problems than it solves.
When a customer brings a computer to me with Norton installed on it I
explain this to them then ask if they want me to disable it from loading on
startup. This way it is installed if they need to use it but is inactive
during everyday use. It is complicated to set it up this way. You have to
run every part of the suite, try to figure out what is running from that
portion of it, if it is needed, if not how to disable it from running
automatically when the computer starts up. Generally I disable everything
except the antivirus. Then you have to figure out how to turn the Windows
firewall back on and fix the changes to the XP Security Center. It's a bit
of work but as you already have the program it is worth it in case you need
to use one of the useful utilities sometime in the future.

Kerry

See other question at bottom........

> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>
>> I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea
>> of it
>> taking over my PC. Can anyone out there recommend a set of good tools
>> (or a
>> suite) other than Norton? I'd like to be as sure as I can that I can
>> recover from most mistakes. Thanks........
>
> 1. Ad-aware (free)
> 2. Spybot Search & Destroy (free)
> 3. Disk Cleanup (built into XP) - Start>Run>cleanmgr [enter]
> 4. Defrag in Safe Mode once every 6 months or if I ever think to
> 5. Good full-featured antivirus (I use F-Prot)
> 6. Firewall - either XPSP2's built-in one (depends on you) or something
> free like Kerio, Sygate, or ZoneAlarm.
> 7. Don't download cr*p.
> 8. Don't run beta software.
> 9. Don't click on suspect links.
> 10. System Restore works well for very short-term stuff but if you don't
> mess up your machine you won't need it.
> 11. Oh, and don't install drivers from Windows Update.
> 12. Keep your operating system and major apps patched for security
> flaws.

What does "patched" mean?

> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>
>> I just uninstalled Norton System Works because I don't like the idea
>> of it
>> taking over my PC. Can anyone out there recommend a set of good tools
>> (or a
>> suite) other than Norton? I'd like to be as sure as I can that I can
>> recover from most mistakes. Thanks........
>
> 1. Ad-aware (free)
> 2. Spybot Search & Destroy (free)
> 3. Disk Cleanup (built into XP) - Start>Run>cleanmgr [enter]
> 4. Defrag in Safe Mode once every 6 months or if I ever think to
> 5. Good full-featured antivirus (I use F-Prot)
> 6. Firewall - either XPSP2's built-in one (depends on you) or something
> free like Kerio, Sygate, or ZoneAlarm.
> 7. Don't download cr*p.
> 8. Don't run beta software.
> 9. Don't click on suspect links.
> 10. System Restore works well for very short-term stuff but if you don't
> mess up your machine you won't need it.

My System Restore will not hold a restore point for more than an hour or
two. I've tried many ways to fix it without success.