network card stopped working after installing MS windows u..

My network card stopped working after downloading the updates from the
Microsoft's web site. The network card was working just find until
one of the updates install a file on the hard drive that makes the card
to stop working. The network card icon by the clock says the network
cable is unplugged, but it is not. I've uninstalled the network
driver and rebooted and let windows reinstall them, but that did not
work. I known there is a file that need to be deleted or edited to make
the network card to start working again.

I'm running Windows XP pro.

Does any one know the name of the file to delete or edit?

Thanks in advance

s...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> My network card stopped working after downloading the updates from the
> Microsoft's web site.

Do a System Restore to a date when the card was working.

And do NOT download and install hardware driver updates from the MS
site.

Disaster will often follow... at least that was what I learned very
early on.

Thanks for the help, but luck on any of them.
I had the same problem a few years back on
3 different computers and found a web site
that said it was a bug in the Windows update
site and to fix it just delete a file (or edit it)
from the hard drive. I did and it fixed it.
I can not find the web site that talk
about it again. I'm 101% sure it is a file,
I just can not remember the file name.
Any thoughts?

wayne wrote:
> If the cable is good you may want to check the media type under the
> card setting. Open network connections and right click on the
> connection
>
> where it shows your card click on configure then advanced choose the
> speed and duplex setting and if it is set for auto change it to 100
> full duplex if it is set for anything other than auto set it to auto
> restart the computer and your router/modem and see if that does it
>
> Wayne
>
> Jonah wrote:
>
> > On 30 Jul 2005 15:32:11 -0700, slc@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> >
> > > My network card stopped working after downloading the updates from
> > > the Microsoft's web site. The network card was working just find
> > > until one of the updates install a file on the hard drive that
> > > makes the card to stop working. The network card icon by the clock
> > > says the network cable is unplugged, but it is not. I've
> > > uninstalled the network driver and rebooted and let windows
> > > reinstall them, but that did not work. I known there is a file that
> > > need to be deleted or edited to make the network card to start
> > > working again.
> > >
> > > I'm running Windows XP pro.
> > >
> > > Does any one know the name of the file to delete or edit?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> >
> > If it says the network card is unplugged it probably is. CAT 5
> > terminations are very fragile and almost anything can break them. Are
> > the lights lit on the RJ45 terminals? try changing the cable for a
> > known good one.
> >
> > If that don't work check your drivers.
> >
> > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adaptors
> >
> > You may need to re-install or rollback your drivers.
> >
> > Jonah

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004