Returning to 40K - Blood Angels advice

Hi everyone,

I started playing 40K right around the time 4th Ed. came out, but due
to real-life getting in the way (read - University), and a lack of
opponents to play against, I have not played a game, or stayed up to
date with the hobby all year.

So yesterday, I was on the phone to my girlfriend, and her brother has
been given a bunch of Orks and Imperial Guard models, and is looking at
starting to play 40K.

I have an Ork army that is about half way completed, but would rather
start on a small Space Marine army before returning to my little green
friends. That way, my girlfriends brother can use some of my Orks to
fill out his collection until he buys some more.

So anyway, I was thinking that I really like the fluff for Blood
Angels, and wouldn't mind doing a Blood Angel army.

I would probably start off wanting about 500 points of Marines
(eventually expanding to 1500). What is the best way to go with Blood
Angels? (bearing in mind I do not currently own any Space Marine
models, and will be buying them). Is the Space Marine battle force any
good, or would I be better off buying a Tactical Squad and Death Squad?

I would like to have a good mixture of long range shooting and close
combat.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Luke

kingma15 wrote:
> So anyway, I was thinking that I really like the fluff for Blood
> Angels, and wouldn't mind doing a Blood Angel army.
>
> I would probably start off wanting about 500 points of Marines
> (eventually expanding to 1500). What is the best way to go with Blood
> Angels?

Right now? Play as a generic Marine Chapter, but take the Elite Assault
Squad Doctrine, and a Chaplain to lead them. Paint most Marines red,
with your Elite Assault squad in black.

> Is the Space Marine battle force any good, or would I be better off
> buying a Tactical Squad and Death Squad?

You should definitely *not* buy overpriced metal Death Company under any
circumstances. Convert from plastics.

The Battleforce is $110 and contains a Tac squad, Command Squad,
Racorback, and a half squad for $5. It's a decent buy (save $15!), but
you'd be better getting 2 Tac Squads, and 2 Assault Squads for $10 more.

The Megaforce is $140 and is a *much* better starting point. You lose
the Command Squad for a Rhino, Dreadnought, Assault Squad, and trees
(save $50). You'll want to add a 2nd Assault squad, and buy the sprues
to convert the Rhino into a Razorback, Whirlwind, or Predator.

The best, of course, would be to buy an army off eBay.

> I would like to have a good mixture of long range shooting and close
> combat.

OK.

\-|-/