Error beep will not go away!

July 30, 2005 9:01:34 PM

ON XP Home SP-2. I've turned all the sounds to [none] in Control
Panel/Sounds but I still get a beep when I for instance do something XP does
not like.

Is there a way to turn off all these error beeps? (They wake my wife
<grin>).

Jeff

More about : error beep

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:21:03 PM

In news:o XTtxgVlFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Jeff <jeff@naol.com> typed:

> ON XP Home SP-2. I've turned all the sounds to [none] in
> Control
> Panel/Sounds but I still get a beep when I for instance do
> something
> XP does not like.
>
> Is there a way to turn off all these error beeps? (They wake
> my wife
> <grin>).

Disconnect the speakers?

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:23:01 PM

Not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, but have you tried turning the
speakers off, or disconnecting them?

xfiler

"Jeff" wrote:

> ON XP Home SP-2. I've turned all the sounds to [none] in Control
> Panel/Sounds but I still get a beep when I for instance do something XP does
> not like.
>
> Is there a way to turn off all these error beeps? (They wake my wife
> <grin>).
>
> Jeff

Related resources
July 31, 2005 12:22:58 AM

Jeff wrote:

> ON XP Home SP-2. I've turned all the sounds to [none] in Control
> Panel/Sounds but I still get a beep when I for instance do something XP does
> not like.
>
> Is there a way to turn off all these error beeps? (They wake my wife
> <grin>).
>
> Jeff

Download tweakui from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

In the General section untic "Beep on errors". Ok out.

An alternate approach - don't make any errors.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I did disconnect the speakers. This is a laptop and it had not effect on
the beeps.

Jeff

"xfiler" <candrv_nospam@hotmail_spamfree.com> wrote in message
> Not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, but have you tried turning the
> speakers off, or disconnecting them?
>
> xfiler
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> ON XP Home SP-2. I've turned all the sounds to [none] in Control
>> Panel/Sounds but I still get a beep when I for instance do something XP
>> does
>> not like.
>>
>> Is there a way to turn off all these error beeps? (They wake my wife
>> <grin>).
>>
>> Jeff

July 31, 2005 4:45:08 AM

Did that. Still beeps on delete confirmation every time I delete something
within Outlook Express.

Rock wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>
>> ON XP Home SP-2. I've turned all the sounds to [none] in Control
>> Panel/Sounds but I still get a beep when I for instance do something
>> XP does not like.
>>
>> Is there a way to turn off all these error beeps? (They wake my wife
>> <grin>).
>>
>> Jeff
>
> Download tweakui from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>
> In the General section untic "Beep on errors". Ok out.
>
> An alternate approach - don't make any errors.
July 31, 2005 11:28:37 AM

Jeff wrote:

> Did that. Still beeps on delete confirmation every time I delete
> something within Outlook Express.
>
> Rock wrote:
>> Jeff wrote:
>>
>>> ON XP Home SP-2. I've turned all the sounds to [none] in Control
>>> Panel/Sounds but I still get a beep when I for instance do something
>>> XP does not like.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to turn off all these error beeps? (They wake my
>>> wife <grin>).
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>
>> Download tweakui from here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>>
>> In the General section untic "Beep on errors". Ok out.
>>
>> An alternate approach - don't make any errors.

Does the beep occur if you use the mouse/touchpad to delete or are you
using the Del key on the laptop's keyboard? If the latter, perhaps the
key itself is damaged. If this is the case, contact the laptop mftr.'s
tech support.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

> Does the beep occur if you use the mouse/touchpad to delete or are you
> using the Del key on the laptop's keyboard? If the latter, perhaps the
> key itself is damaged. If this is the case, contact the laptop mftr.'s
> tech support.

It occurs when I use the synaptic touchpad on this Dell Inspiron 8100
laptop. Right now it occurs while I am in Outlook Express 6 reading this
newsgroup, select a message to delete and with the touchpad select the red X
icon (for delete). This brings up a popup that asks me if I am sure I want
to permanently delete the file associated with a loud beep. I just cannot
figure it out.

Jeff

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o PyhkwdlFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Jeff wrote:
>
>> Did that. Still beeps on delete confirmation every time I delete
>> something within Outlook Express.
>>
>> Rock wrote:

>>> Download tweakui from here:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>>>
>>> In the General section untic "Beep on errors". Ok out.
>>>
>>> An alternate approach - don't make any errors.
>
> Does the beep occur if you use the mouse/touchpad to delete or are you
> using the Del key on the laptop's keyboard? If the latter, perhaps the
> key itself is damaged. If this is the case, contact the laptop mftr.'s
> tech support.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
July 31, 2005 5:11:35 PM

Jeff wrote:

> It occurs when I use the synaptic touchpad on this Dell Inspiron 8100
> laptop. Right now it occurs while I am in Outlook Express 6 reading
> this newsgroup, select a message to delete and with the touchpad
> select the red X
> icon (for delete). This brings up a popup that asks me if I am sure I
> want to permanently delete the file associated with a loud beep. I
> just cannot figure it out.
>

>> Does the beep occur if you use the mouse/touchpad to delete or are
>> you using the Del key on the laptop's keyboard? If the latter,
>> perhaps the key itself is damaged. If this is the case, contact the
>> laptop mftr.'s tech support.

Look in the settings for the touchpad. This will be in the mouse applet
in Control Panel. It certainly sounds like you have a Windows sound
connected with the question event, but maybe there are options in the
touchpad software. Also, see if you have any Accessibility options
enabled. I'm totally reaching here - I have no idea if there are sounds
associated with events from Accessibility - maybe for people who have
vision problems.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
August 1, 2005 2:22:59 PM

Malke wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>

>> It occurs when I use the synaptic touchpad on this Dell Inspiron 8100
>> laptop. Right now it occurs while I am in Outlook Express 6 reading
>> this newsgroup, select a message to delete and with the touchpad
>> select the red X
>> icon (for delete). This brings up a popup that asks me if I am sure
>> I want to permanently delete the file associated with a loud beep. I
>> just cannot figure it out.
>>

>>> Does the beep occur if you use the mouse/touchpad to delete or are
>>> you using the Del key on the laptop's keyboard? If the latter,
>>> perhaps the key itself is damaged. If this is the case, contact the
>>> laptop mftr.'s tech support.
>>>

> Look in the settings for the touchpad. This will be in the mouse
> applet in Control Panel. It certainly sounds like you have a Windows
> sound connected with the question event, but maybe there are options
> in the touchpad software. Also, see if you have any Accessibility
> options enabled. I'm totally reaching here - I have no idea if there
> are sounds associated with events from Accessibility - maybe for
> people who have vision problems.

Thank you so much for hanging in with me. This is really wierd.

I checked the Accessibility Options and although there is a sound option it
is not checked to be on - but that was an excellent idea. I also looked at
the mouse and touchpad settings and there is nothing there.

I even went to the Trashcan properties and uncheckked the option to display
a delete confirmation dialog, but within Outlook Express - which is where it
is happening - the delete confirmation and darn beep still pops up. So it
looks like it is something in Outlook Express but I can find not option
there to turn it off. I even looked for a *.wav in the outlook folder to
rename it but could not find any!!

And it is a loud beep!

Jeff
August 1, 2005 2:23:00 PM

Jeff wrote:

> Thank you so much for hanging in with me. This is really wierd.
>
> I checked the Accessibility Options and although there is a sound
> option it is not checked to be on - but that was an excellent idea. I
> also looked at the mouse and touchpad settings and there is nothing
> there.
>
> I even went to the Trashcan properties and uncheckked the option to
> display a delete confirmation dialog, but within Outlook Express -
> which is where it
> is happening - the delete confirmation and darn beep still pops up.
> So it looks like it is something in Outlook Express but I can find not
> option
> there to turn it off. I even looked for a *.wav in the outlook folder
> to rename it but could not find any!!
>
> And it is a loud beep!

Then I'm really sorry, but I just don't know. Maybe you could have a
knowledgeable friend - someone who is *really* knowledgeable and not
someone who just *says* he is - take a look. Or a computer professional
who might be willing to have a quick look without charging. Or maybe
you'd be willing to pay because this is so annoying! ;-)

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you. Some problems just need hands-on
examination.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 1, 2005 5:33:20 PM

I may have found a clue!

(This is a laptop I just moved to). I opened winamp to try the various
chimes in the Windows/Media folder and when I tried to play any of them I
got an error message that said
"Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another
device in configuration".
So it may be that the proper drivers for the speakers is not installed and
therefore XP is bypassing them and going directly to the speakers. Now I
have to find out how to install the directsound driver.

Jeff

> Jeff wrote:
>
>> Thank you so much for hanging in with me. This is really wierd.
>>
>> I checked the Accessibility Options and although there is a sound
>> option it is not checked to be on - but that was an excellent idea. I
>> also looked at the mouse and touchpad settings and there is nothing
>> there.
>>
>> I even went to the Trashcan properties and uncheckked the option to
>> display a delete confirmation dialog, but within Outlook Express -
>> which is where it
>> is happening - the delete confirmation and darn beep still pops up.
>> So it looks like it is something in Outlook Express but I can find not
>> option
>> there to turn it off. I even looked for a *.wav in the outlook folder
>> to rename it but could not find any!!
>>
>> And it is a loud beep!
>>

> Then I'm really sorry, but I just don't know. Maybe you could have a
> knowledgeable friend - someone who is *really* knowledgeable and not
> someone who just *says* he is - take a look. Or a computer professional
> who might be willing to have a quick look without charging. Or maybe
> you'd be willing to pay because this is so annoying! ;-)
>
> I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you. Some problems just need hands-on
> examination.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 1, 2005 6:55:05 PM

Jeff wrote:

> I may have found a clue!
>
> (This is a laptop I just moved to). I opened winamp to try the
> various chimes in the Windows/Media folder and when I tried to play
> any of them I got an error message that said
> "Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select
> another device in configuration".
> So it may be that the proper drivers for the speakers is not installed
> and therefore XP is bypassing them and going directly to the speakers.
> Now I have to find out how to install the directsound driver.

It looks like your troubleshooting is paying off. Reinstall the drivers
for your sound. Get them from the laptop mftr.'s website for your
specific model machine. Follow any installation instructions they may
have on the site.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 12:40:46 AM

the sounds are probably coming from the internal system speaker, I don't
think there's a way to disable it or mute it.

"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
news:o XTtxgVlFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> ON XP Home SP-2. I've turned all the sounds to [none] in Control
> Panel/Sounds but I still get a beep when I for instance do something XP
> does not like.
>
> Is there a way to turn off all these error beeps? (They wake my wife
> <grin>).
>
> Jeff

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 12:40:47 AM

(Piggybacked as I don't see the original post)
I believe if you open device manager and select "devices by connection" and
"view hidden devices" from the view menu, you will see a device called
"beep". Right click and choose disable. (Not tested)
Louis

!