Sign in with
Your question

Uh oh... I think I broke it...

Last response: in Storage
September 15, 2005 5:42:52 PM

I've got a Lite-On DVD-/+RW drive, I forget what model, but I think it was the cheapest one that burned 2.4x DVD+R double layer?
I'm pretty sure this is more of a general problem anyway.

Okay, so I bought a used copy of The Matrix, and its pretty scratched up. It was skipping on my DVD player a bit, so I thought I'd borrow my friend's copy of DVD X Copy and make a backup without scratches. (you're legally allowed to make 1 backup copy, right?) He also gave me a copy of WinISO to try...?_? But anyway, I installed them both just in case, and when I went to try to back it up it couldn't read the disk. As a matter of fact it couldn't even read the movie in PowerDVD5 or the player that came on The Matrix's disk. (which installed properly, by the way, so the drive still reads the disks...)

Anyhow, I figured it was just that movie, but now none of my DVDs will play on my PC anymore. I tried a few different things to try to sort it out, and with Sienfeld season 4 disk 1, I finally got an actual error message saying something about not being able to read a copy protected disk?

I've uninstalled the DVD X Copy and WinISO as I'm sure they have something to do with this and rebooted, but it still isn't reading movie DVDs.

So yeah, what should I do about this? (aside from not trying to back up anymore movies... >_<)
My guess would be reinstalling the DVD drive as the hardware itself, but I'm positive I'm not the only one with this kind of problem. I'm mostly just confused at this point though.

All other disks seem to be reading fine and I can access the movie disks, I just can't play them since its got the copy protection error.

More about : broke

September 15, 2005 11:14:22 PM

If you want to bypass the protection to back it up then download the <A HREF="http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html" target="_new">DVD Shrink</A> it will let you compress the movie to fit on standard 4.7GB DVD. The program works great at bypassing copy protection. As far as your drive reading DVD's just do a firmware upgrade on it and that should fix your problem.
September 16, 2005 1:04:01 AM

Awesome, I'll try that program then, although none of my friends have it, so I guess I'll have to go on your advice that it works. =)

The part about my DVD drive is the thing that matters right now though, thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Well, for some reason the PowerDVD software still can't play movie DVDs due to this error about copy protection not being able to be enabled, but Windows Media Player can play them... I'm really confused now.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by GyRo567 on 09/15/05 09:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
September 16, 2005 3:31:14 AM

Your movie disk may have installed protection software to your system!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 16, 2005 4:03:46 AM

Listen to Crashman, he knows a lot more than I do.
September 16, 2005 8:41:31 AM

I thought he said PowerDVD no longer reads ANY of his DVD's!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 16, 2005 9:58:48 AM

Your bad, he did say that!

September 16, 2005 10:28:56 PM

<i>Yes, I see. SOHW-1673S right? (I already know you're going to say yes)</i>

Nope, SOHW-1633S! =D

I upgraded firmware with that anyway. >_> It was one of two 2.4x DVD+R9 burners, and the one of them with 16x DVD+R is mine, so I figured it out that way.

It's not the hardware that's the problem, and its not even The Matrix disk, because that plays in Windows Media Player just like the other things...

I think I'm gonna try reinstalling PowerDVD from the disk I got with the drive. Maybe installing those other programs just overwrote something in it?

And no, I don't actually care all that much about the potential piracy issue of backing up my own disk if there somehow is one, but I thought some of you guys might, so I played it safe.

I have 4 region changes left on the drive. I didn't change it because I wasn't sure exactly what it did. It's on a "Region 1" or something right now. Should I change it to America if the reinstallation doesn't fix PowerDVD 5?

Oh, and I updated PowerDVD5 to the latest version too, so that's not a problem.
September 19, 2005 6:44:12 AM

Wusy the smart ass got owned by two people in this thread. Oh Yeah!

(\__/)
(='.'=) <A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A>
(")_(")
September 19, 2005 10:19:04 PM

Right then... When I have time to reinstall PowerDVD5 I'll let you know if it fixes anything. Until then it's still not working and in the exact same condition as before.

Windows Media Player can't even fast forward or rewind things! =(

EDIT: Yay! ^_^ After a reinstall of PowerDVD5 it works again. Now to download a trial of DVDShrink and see if it breaks it again or not...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by GyRo567 on 09/20/05 11:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!