driver updates

Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from Microsoft's
website, the computer manufacturer or from the device manufacturer?

How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to think of
doing that?

Jeff
8 answers Last reply
More about driver updates

    Jeff wrote:
    > Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from
    > Microsoft's website, the computer manufacturer or from the device
    > manufacturer?
    > How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to
    > think of doing that?

    Always wisest to upgrade the driver from the company that manufactured the
    individual component which the driver is for.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Jeff wrote:
    > Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from Microsoft's
    > website,

    NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!!

    > the computer manufacturer or from the device manufacturer?

    50-50, but I'd lean towards the computer mfr.

    > How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to think of
    > doing that?

    If you get the upgrade ONLY from the mfr. of the mainboard, you should
    be fine.

    Jeff wrote:

    > Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from Microsoft's
    > website, the computer manufacturer or from the device manufacturer?
    >
    > How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to think of
    > doing that?
    >
    > Jeff

    Never from Windows update. If it's a device the OEM modified then get
    it from the OEM's web site. If it's a retail device then the device
    manufacturer's web site. Same for chipsets - for OEM computers like
    Gateway, Dell, etc get it from the OEM. Only update drivers if there is
    a problem and the new driver should fix it or if it has some new, must
    have feature. Otherwise leave well enough alone.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Jeff wrote:
    >
    > > Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from Microsoft's
    > > website, the computer manufacturer or from the device manufacturer?
    > >
    > > How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to think
    of
    > > doing that?
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >

    > Never from Windows update. If it's a device the OEM modified then get
    > it from the OEM's web site. If it's a retail device then the device
    > manufacturer's web site. Same for chipsets - for OEM computers like
    > Gateway, Dell, etc get it from the OEM. Only update drivers if there is
    > a problem and the new driver should fix it or if it has some new, must
    > have feature. Otherwise leave well enough alone.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Agreed! I've finally learned to follow the old adage....if it ain't broke,
    don't fix it!

    > Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from Microsoft's
    > website....

    Just to add yet another: Never, ever!

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    > Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from Microsoft's
    > website, the computer manufacturer or from the device manufacturer?
    >
    > How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to think of
    > doing that?
    >
    > Jeff

    "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    > Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from Microsoft's
    > website, the computer manufacturer or from the device manufacturer?
    >
    > How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to think of
    > doing that?

    Never Never Never update drivers from the Microsoft Update site.
    Go to the manufactures site, and read closely what any new drivers are for,
    and if you really need them.
    Most driver updates/installs require specific steps to be followed, a
    procedure not available during Microsofts "auto install".
    (IMHO)

    Jeff wrote:
    > Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from
    > Microsoft's website, the computer manufacturer or from the device
    > manufacturer?
    > How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to
    > think of doing that?

    If you have a computer from a Major OEM, then they should be the first
    place you look for driver updates. Then the devise manufacturer, but be
    careful, sometimes Major OEMs get the manufacturer to slightly modify
    the devises, and the manufacturers drivers don't work well with these
    components. It is fairly rare, but I know it does happen.

    NEVER, EVER, get driver updates from either Windows or Microsoft Update,
    even if MS is the manufacturer of the devise! If MS is the devise
    manufacturer, then they have separate support pages that have the right
    drivers that you can download to your hard drive, and install manually.

    If your computer is built by yourself, or a local computer builder, then
    you should check with the devise manufactures site.

    But as with anything, don't fix what ain't broken. If you aren't having
    problems with a devise or its drivers, then leave well the f*#k alone.
    Yeah, sometimes updated drivers will give you some performance gains,
    but is a few milliseconds of performance gain worth screwing up what
    wasn't really broken?

    That said, if you know your way around a computer and how to get your
    ass out of the frying pan on your own, go ahead and install the latest
    drivers. I know I do.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:08:52 -0400, "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote:

    >Is it usually wiser to update drivers (touchpad, etc.) from Microsoft's
    >website, the computer manufacturer or from the device manufacturer?

    No - not from M$ ever and leave well alone unless you have to update.
    Newer drivers sometimes add undesirable features especially if they
    come from HP so do a drive image / restore point before updating
    anything. I do daily C Drive images just in case I screw something up
    or an update does.

    >How about updates for mainboard chipsets? And is it even wise to think of
    >doing that?

    Generally only if you really need to - ie to run a new game or
    something.

    >Jeff

    If you really want to get all the correct latest drivers without
    effort there are software solutions but they cost and are only really
    good for professional PC Builders / repairers who need fast access to
    the correct drivers regularly.

    I use Driver Genius Pro, not vastly expensive but overkill for finding
    the odd driver and you need to know what you are doing to an extent.
    There are others that do the same think and are mostly subscription
    based.

    http://www.driver-soft.com/

    If you are interested

    Jonah