Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New System, Windows won't load

Last response: in Windows 7
October 6, 2012 11:48:30 PM

Hello,

I have just installed a new system with all new components (except HDD) that includes:
-AMD Fx-4100 CPU
-ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
-Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7770

I am using the HDD from my last computer that has Windows 7 loaded on it and worked fine on my old system. With all the new components I am not able to get past BIOS and the computer resets at the beginning of the Window's 7 load screen. After a very long Startup Repair, Windows came back to me with this information:

"Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" with this report:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200607
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 2
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.2.2.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I don't have the original Windows 7 disk as this is my work computer and I am at home for the weekend. My guess is that I need to load drivers for the new components but I have no idea how to do that if I can't get into Windows.

Any ideas on what to do next? I am at a loss. Thanks!

More about : system windows load

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2012 11:57:52 PM

You need to reinstall Windows more than likely. The windows is setup for the way your computer was before. Sometimes Windows 7 can handle going to a new PC, providing the hardware is similar but if it's radically different, it will usually crap out.

Also, if you're Windows 7 is an OEM/system builders copy, it might not activate on the new PC. Switching out motherboard/cpu usually tells the Windows it's a new PC and most OEM/system builder Windows 7's are good to be installed and activated only on 1 PC.
October 7, 2012 12:32:48 AM

Thank you getochkn. I took the HDD out of the new setup and back into my old computer (which is an extremely basic Compaq computer that my whole company has and am assuming Windows 7 came pre-loaded). I noticed that it is Windows 7 Enterprise, don't know if this makes a difference.

Everything booted up like normal. My goal is to put any necessary drivers on the HDD then put it back in the new system. Do you see this as a possible fix? Would I need any specific drivers besides the ones for the motherboard? Would I need drivers for the CPU?
Related resources

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2012 5:14:31 AM

tpalazzo said:
Thank you getochkn. I took the HDD out of the new setup and back into my old computer (which is an extremely basic Compaq computer that my whole company has and am assuming Windows 7 came pre-loaded). I noticed that it is Windows 7 Enterprise, don't know if this makes a difference.

Everything booted up like normal. My goal is to put any necessary drivers on the HDD then put it back in the new system. Do you see this as a possible fix? Would I need any specific drivers besides the ones for the motherboard? Would I need drivers for the CPU?

That's not going to work. Just because they are on the hdd, it's doesn't Windows will use them. They need to be installed and more importantly, the old drivers need to be uninstalled as it's one of them probably stopped it from booting.

You COULD try this, but it's not for sure to work. Put the drive in the working computer, use a driver cleaner software to uninstall all the drivers on it, don't reboot or anything, wipe it, then put it in the new PC. You can have the drivers on the HDD in a folder, in case it does boot, then you can start installing them. It MAY work. If it doesn't, then when you put the HDD back in the compaq, it's not going to have any drivers on it, and you'll have to find them all again if you want to keep the HDD in that PC.

That's about the only shot you got, and it's a IF and a COULD and a MAYBE, and I take no responsibility if it doesn't work, but basically the HDD as it is now has Windows installed with drivers that it is trying to init on boot up for MB, GPU, CPU, USB controller, SATA controller, everything. Wiping them out, might let Windows boot. It may not though, as it may not have the SATA driver needed to boot, etc. It's a shot.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2012 6:35:21 AM

I suspect you are going to have to buy a new OS. You would probably have got away with it if you'd bought and installed the OEM yourself, but a volume installed licence as in the Compaq, little chance...
Meanwhile, have you tried Win8? You could download and install the Evaluation copy for free and try it for 90 days, then if you like it buy a cheap copy of XP and upgrade to 8 taking advantage of the very cheap upgrade version..
October 7, 2012 6:32:56 PM

Thank you both for your responses. @dodger46 The IT guy at my company doesn't want me on a Windows 8 machine until the rest of the company is as well so it looks like the only possible solution (and easiest solution) is just to reinstall the OS (which my IT guy has). If there are further issues I will definitely be back on here posting them!
October 10, 2012 3:31:40 PM

Best answer selected by tpalazzo.
!