http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves

What do you think???
9 answers Last reply
More about conversion pics

    "<<< Rian Scotti >>>" <rianscotti@virgilio.it> wrote in message
    news:TVzGe.19177$2U1.1238216@news3.tin.it...
    > http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
    >
    > What do you think???

    Good paint job on the mini and nice conversion work. However, the whips (?)
    look like electrical wires stripped out of a cheap electronic device and
    just stuck on. I know that this isn't the case, but that's what it kinda
    looks like. I'd redo them somehow to break this association.

    --Ty
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <TVzGe.19177$2U1.1238216@news3.tin.it>, <<< Rian Scotti >>>,
    rianscotti@virgilio.it Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
    >
    > What do you think???

    Wow! would be good for starters. Followed by nice, and 'very cool'. I
    like the color scheme, the red seems a bit different from the Space
    Wolves I'm used to - but I don't have any problem with it and they're
    definitely nicely painted. Love the way you've gone and high-lighted
    all the edges on the armor. Looks like you spent a heck of a lot of
    time with a very fine tipped paint brush. Pic 2-2 of the Trooper with
    the Halbard is makes me think these look kick-ass on the table. About
    the only thing I'd suggest for future minis is perhaps a bit of
    'blending' with some darker tones/colors so that the blue/gray areas of
    the armor aren't quite so uniform (and as a result flat) looking.
    Otherwise - rock on! Also, the some of the pics of the Trooper who's
    apparently ripped the spine out of a Necron are a bit blurry - I'm
    guessing you were actually a bit to close with the camera. If you take
    more shots, try making sure you're at least 3 feet from the model if
    your camera doesn't have a macro style zoom feature. You can often get
    better pics by being a bit farther from your subject and turning up the
    camera's resolution settings if you're trying to shoot smaller subject
    matter and the camera doesn't have a good macro zoom. If you get a
    chance, your best bet is to experiment with the camera and see what
    lighting, distance, and settings work best.

    Hope that helps - and nice minis,

    Myrmidon

    --
    "I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
    and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

    -- Moramarth

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    << Rian Scotti wrote:

    > http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
    >
    > What do you think???

    Don't like the Necron, I presume? ;)

    Nice paint job. I'm not to comfortable with the wires though. They simply
    are to big for a machine like a Necron. It'd look way better if you'd only
    use a few single wires out of the big one. Of course this would a) be hard
    to make and b) break easily, so there's a drawback to this too.

    --
    This is Lukkai
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market beagles,
    Ty wrote:

    >> http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
    >>
    >> What do you think???
    >
    > Good paint job on the mini and nice conversion work. However, the
    > whips (?) look like electrical wires stripped out of a cheap
    > electronic device and just stuck on. I know that this isn't the case,
    > but that's what it kinda looks like. I'd redo them somehow to break
    > this association.

    I think those are the wires from the ripped out Necron head... he's got the
    spinal column in hand and the skull in the other, so those are the wires
    ("spinal cord," if you will) from the Necron.

    --gair
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Lukas "Lukkai" Buergi wrote:
    > << Rian Scotti wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
    > >
    > > What do you think???
    >
    > Don't like the Necron, I presume? ;)
    >
    > Nice paint job. I'm not to comfortable with the wires though. They simply
    > are to big for a machine like a Necron. It'd look way better if you'd only
    > use a few single wires out of the big one. Of course this would a) be hard
    > to make and b) break easily, so there's a drawback to this too.
    >
    > --
    > This is Lukkai

    Use very small paper clips for the wire and splay them out to make the
    wires look like they're swinging everywhere. Use guitar wire to make
    the metallic spine. Other than that, the paint job is suberb, although
    some might consider the highlights to be a bit much. Try using a wash
    of Space Wolf Grey or a few subtler layers of higlight.

    --Chris
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

    > "<<< Rian Scotti >>>" <rianscotti@virgilio.it> wrote in message
    >> http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
    >>
    >> What do you think???
    >
    > Good paint job on the mini and nice conversion work. However, the
    > whips (?) look like electrical wires stripped out of a cheap
    > electronic device and just stuck on. I know that this isn't the case,
    > but that's what it kinda looks like. I'd redo them somehow to break
    > this association.

    I see what you mean. A bit of a wash with some very dilute ink should tone
    down the brightness and lessen the problem. Otherwise all good.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

    "Chris Valera" <grimdarkness@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Use very small paper clips for the wire and splay them out to make the
    > wires look like they're swinging everywhere. Use guitar wire to make
    > the metallic spine. Other than that, the paint job is suberb, although
    > some might consider the highlights to be a bit much. Try using a wash
    > of Space Wolf Grey or a few subtler layers of higlight.

    At the risk of starting a religious war, I'd like to say that I *like*
    strong highlights. The GW minis are highly stylized IMHO and I fail to see
    any reason to try subdue this by using "realistic" paint techniques. So my
    vote is stay with the highlights. Show the minis off. If you want realism,
    do 25mm WWII or somesuch.

    Just my US$0.02

    --Ty
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    TXS to all!!!
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

    > > Good paint job on the mini and nice conversion work. However, the
    > > whips (?) look like electrical wires stripped out of a cheap
    > > electronic device and just stuck on. I know that this isn't the case,
    > > but that's what it kinda looks like. I'd redo them somehow to break
    > > this association.

    > I see what you mean. A bit of a wash with some very dilute ink should
    tone
    > down the brightness and lessen the problem. Otherwise all good.

    Yeah, that might do it. Or perhaps they could be repainted in less
    "insulated wire-like" colors.

    --Ty

Games Video Games