Conversion & Pics

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 30, 2005 4:33:55 AM

http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves

What do you think???

More about : conversion pics

July 30, 2005 5:13:43 AM

"<<< Rian Scotti >>>" <rianscotti@virgilio.it> wrote in message
news:TVzGe.19177$2U1.1238216@news3.tin.it...
> http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
>
> What do you think???

Good paint job on the mini and nice conversion work. However, the whips (?)
look like electrical wires stripped out of a cheap electronic device and
just stuck on. I know that this isn't the case, but that's what it kinda
looks like. I'd redo them somehow to break this association.

--Ty
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:01:30 AM

In article <TVzGe.19177$2U1.1238216@news3.tin.it>, <<< Rian Scotti >>>,
rianscotti@virgilio.it Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
>
> What do you think???

Wow! would be good for starters. Followed by nice, and 'very cool'. I
like the color scheme, the red seems a bit different from the Space
Wolves I'm used to - but I don't have any problem with it and they're
definitely nicely painted. Love the way you've gone and high-lighted
all the edges on the armor. Looks like you spent a heck of a lot of
time with a very fine tipped paint brush. Pic 2-2 of the Trooper with
the Halbard is makes me think these look kick-ass on the table. About
the only thing I'd suggest for future minis is perhaps a bit of
'blending' with some darker tones/colors so that the blue/gray areas of
the armor aren't quite so uniform (and as a result flat) looking.
Otherwise - rock on! Also, the some of the pics of the Trooper who's
apparently ripped the spine out of a Necron are a bit blurry - I'm
guessing you were actually a bit to close with the camera. If you take
more shots, try making sure you're at least 3 feet from the model if
your camera doesn't have a macro style zoom feature. You can often get
better pics by being a bit farther from your subject and turning up the
camera's resolution settings if you're trying to shoot smaller subject
matter and the camera doesn't have a good macro zoom. If you get a
chance, your best bet is to experiment with the camera and see what
lighting, distance, and settings work best.

Hope that helps - and nice minis,

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

July 30, 2005 8:35:33 AM

<< Rian Scotti wrote:

> http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
>
> What do you think???

Don't like the Necron, I presume? ;)

Nice paint job. I'm not to comfortable with the wires though. They simply
are to big for a machine like a Necron. It'd look way better if you'd only
use a few single wires out of the big one. Of course this would a) be hard
to make and b) break easily, so there's a drawback to this too.

--
This is Lukkai
Anonymous

Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market beagles,
Ty wrote:

>> http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
>>
>> What do you think???
>
> Good paint job on the mini and nice conversion work. However, the
> whips (?) look like electrical wires stripped out of a cheap
> electronic device and just stuck on. I know that this isn't the case,
> but that's what it kinda looks like. I'd redo them somehow to break
> this association.

I think those are the wires from the ripped out Necron head... he's got the
spinal column in hand and the skull in the other, so those are the wires
("spinal cord," if you will) from the Necron.

--gair
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:34:24 AM

Lukas "Lukkai" Buergi wrote:
> << Rian Scotti wrote:
>
> > http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
> >
> > What do you think???
>
> Don't like the Necron, I presume? ;)
>
> Nice paint job. I'm not to comfortable with the wires though. They simply
> are to big for a machine like a Necron. It'd look way better if you'd only
> use a few single wires out of the big one. Of course this would a) be hard
> to make and b) break easily, so there's a drawback to this too.
>
> --
> This is Lukkai

Use very small paper clips for the wire and splay them out to make the
wires look like they're swinging everywhere. Use guitar wire to make
the metallic spine. Other than that, the paint job is suberb, although
some might consider the highlights to be a bit much. Try using a wash
of Space Wolf Grey or a few subtler layers of higlight.

--Chris
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:23:32 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

> "<<< Rian Scotti >>>" <rianscotti@virgilio.it> wrote in message
>> http://www.pbase.com/rianscotti2/space_wolves
>>
>> What do you think???
>
> Good paint job on the mini and nice conversion work. However, the
> whips (?) look like electrical wires stripped out of a cheap
> electronic device and just stuck on. I know that this isn't the case,
> but that's what it kinda looks like. I'd redo them somehow to break
> this association.

I see what you mean. A bit of a wash with some very dilute ink should tone
down the brightness and lessen the problem. Otherwise all good.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

"Chris Valera" <grimdarkness@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Use very small paper clips for the wire and splay them out to make the
> wires look like they're swinging everywhere. Use guitar wire to make
> the metallic spine. Other than that, the paint job is suberb, although
> some might consider the highlights to be a bit much. Try using a wash
> of Space Wolf Grey or a few subtler layers of higlight.

At the risk of starting a religious war, I'd like to say that I *like*
strong highlights. The GW minis are highly stylized IMHO and I fail to see
any reason to try subdue this by using "realistic" paint techniques. So my
vote is stay with the highlights. Show the minis off. If you want realism,
do 25mm WWII or somesuch.

Just my US$0.02

--Ty
August 1, 2005 12:46:35 AM

TXS to all!!!
August 6, 2005 4:52:04 AM

"Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ty said

> > Good paint job on the mini and nice conversion work. However, the
> > whips (?) look like electrical wires stripped out of a cheap
> > electronic device and just stuck on. I know that this isn't the case,
> > but that's what it kinda looks like. I'd redo them somehow to break
> > this association.

> I see what you mean. A bit of a wash with some very dilute ink should
tone
> down the brightness and lessen the problem. Otherwise all good.

Yeah, that might do it. Or perhaps they could be repainted in less
"insulated wire-like" colors.

--Ty
!