Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Xbox live doubt

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:03:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

if I play Xbox live games with my xbox wireless adapters
but I only have a 802.11b connection which limits the
speed to 11 MBPs is there any problem of slow connection?
or will I be able to play the games normally without any
lag?????//

More about : xbox live doubt

July 28, 2004 9:54:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

My ISP Comcast gives me a total of 3000 kbps. or 2.92,968,75 mbps. You
should notice that this number is much smaller then the 11 mbps provided
by a 802.11b connection running at full speed.

Also one last thing this newsgroup is for the Microsoft networking
hardware not xbox live. I'd suggest asking this question on the xbox
live newsgroup.

Arie wrote:

> if I play Xbox live games with my xbox wireless adapters
> but I only have a 802.11b connection which limits the
> speed to 11 MBPs is there any problem of slow connection?
> or will I be able to play the games normally without any
> lag?????//
>
July 28, 2004 11:24:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

His question was about a MS product. The MN-740 more
than likely. If you would have read than maybe you might
have found that out.
To answer the question. No you will not experience any
to no lag. I have this wireless adapter set in another
room (upstairs or down) I have no lag. It works great.
Get the firmware update so it will function to it's
fullest.


>-----Original Message-----
>My ISP Comcast gives me a total of 3000 kbps. or
2.92,968,75 mbps. You
>should notice that this number is much smaller then the
11 mbps provided
>by a 802.11b connection running at full speed.
>
>Also one last thing this newsgroup is for the Microsoft
networking
>hardware not xbox live. I'd suggest asking this
question on the xbox
>live newsgroup.
>
>Arie wrote:
>
>> if I play Xbox live games with my xbox wireless
adapters
>> but I only have a 802.11b connection which limits the
>> speed to 11 MBPs is there any problem of slow
connection?
>> or will I be able to play the games normally without
any
>> lag?????//
>>
>
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:49:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

I dont' care how much "faster" 11 mbps is then your isp. I ALWAYS noticed
lag over wifi vs standard ethernet. That's just the way it is. Standard
internet usage etc will be just like anything else, but there's something
about gaming and wifi that doesn't work the same as hardwire. I noticed with
wifi I'd ping about 50-75ms more then I would with hard wire.

MN-500 router and matching card for my laptop. (mn-200 or something),
probaby 60 feet from base station.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:12:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Agreed. The lag has a lot to do with how much the IP frames
must be retransmitted (due to errors or collisions) and the
frame overhead. On a wireless environment you'll be prone
to more interference from other devices (other wifi cards,
microwaves, etc) and the overhead is larger. With the
overhead the 11Mbps become about 4 or 5Mbps.

Still, in general it is pretty manageable, if you can
minimize interference.

>-----Original Message-----
>I dont' care how much "faster" 11 mbps is then your isp. I
ALWAYS noticed
>lag over wifi vs standard ethernet. That's just the way it
is. Standard
>internet usage etc will be just like anything else, but
there's something
>about gaming and wifi that doesn't work the same as
hardwire. I noticed with
>wifi I'd ping about 50-75ms more then I would with hard wire.
>
>MN-500 router and matching card for my laptop. (mn-200 or
something),
>probaby 60 feet from base station.
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:33:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

If anyone here games on their laptop with the newer "50mbps" connections,
I'd like to know how well it performs.
!