[40K] Pics of new SM and Black Templar stuff

From the B&C forums:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80876&pid=934680&st=0&#entry934680

In descending order they are:

New SM scouts (nice, shame about the heads though)

40K wargear manual

Chaplain Grimaldus box cover

BT Command squad box cover

BT Crusader (Tactical) squad box cover

BT Sword Brethren (they are metal)

BT Crusader (Tactical) squad sprue

BT Command Squad sprue

BT Vehicle/Dreadnaught sprue

Space Marine Terminator Chaplain (got to be one of the best GW models ever,
its brilliant)

High Marshall Helbrecht and various other BT minis.

Close Combat Terminators and sprues.

Rob

>From the B&C forums:
>http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80876&p...
>
>In descending order they are:
>
>New SM scouts (nice, shame about the heads though)

Look much the same to me; why are the snipers being held for a later
release, though?

>40K wargear manual

The what? Don't the Codices provide a complete reference guide to their
armies' wargear?

>Chaplain Grimaldus box cover

He's okay, but the retinue's not up to much.

>BT Command squad box cover
>

>BT Crusader (Tactical) squad box cover

These box covers are worse than the UM ones for showing the models -
what's with all the glare? The Command Squad doesn't seem to offer much
new to get fussed about, and unless you want close combat weapons, nor
does the Tac Squad, and moulding the swords to the weapons is a bad
idea for Marines in any case.

>BT Sword Brethren (they are metal)

And pretty anonymous, though losing the red weapons would no doubt
help. The lightning claw one would still be pretty dire, though.

>BT Vehicle/Dreadnaught sprue

Now this isn't a bad idea. Not worth paying for, but still no doubt
cheaper than the FW equivalents.

>Space Marine Terminator Chaplain (got to be one of the best GW models ever,
>its brilliant)

Ugh, it's anything but. GW skull masks just don't get any better, do
they? Little did I know when I spurned the new Dark Reapers that they
would turn out to be a high point in that department. As for the rest,
there's just too much junk cluttering the thing and the crozius head
looks clumsy and far too thick.

>High Marshall Helbrecht and various other BT minis.

If he's the baldie with the power sword he's decent enough.

>Close Combat Terminators and sprues.

Well, given that both the new-style lightning claws and new Terminators
are less than inspiring, these are about as good as they could be, i.e.
serviceable but dull. At least they fill a gap in the range, unlike the
unnecessary BT sprues in every boxed set. I thought GW complained it
didn't have enough shelf space as it was? After all, Kislevites and
Dogs of War are still Mail Order Only.

Also, why must we have more dull Marines foisted on us just when
there's a new Tau book to look forward to on the horizon?

Philip Bowles

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> >From the B&C forums:
>>http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80876&p...
>>
>>40K wargear manual
>
> The what? Don't the Codices provide a complete reference guide to their
> armies' wargear?

From the photo showing the page layout, it looks like an in-depth look at
equipment, vehicles, and weapons for all the 40K armies - the sort of thing
you'd expect from Forgeworld, not GW.

Dan

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> >From the B&C forums:
>>http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80876&p...
>>
>>In descending order they are:
>>
>>New SM scouts (nice, shame about the heads though)
>
> Look much the same to me;

ditto.

> These box covers are worse than the UM ones for showing the models -
> what's with all the glare?

GW are just discovering the amazing world of artificial lensflares in
graphics programs, I guess. there was a "lensflare period" on the internet
about 5 or 6 years back, when every pretentious piece of "digital artwork"
was splattered with gratuitous lensflares. apparently some people STILL
really like them.

>>Close Combat Terminators and sprues.
>
> Well, given that both the new-style lightning claws and new Terminators
> are less than inspiring, these are about as good as they could be, i.e.
> serviceable but dull.

I still don't like the new lightning claws :(

>>Space Marine Terminator Chaplain (got to be one of the best GW models
>>ever,
>>its brilliant)
>
> Ugh, it's anything but. GW skull masks just don't get any better, do
> they?

Not sure what you are on about. Its a great mini, I don't see any problems
with the helmet.

>>Close Combat Terminators and sprues.
>
> Well, given that both the new-style lightning claws and new Terminators
> are less than inspiring,

The Lightning Claws aren't great, but I like the Thunderhammer and Storm
Shields.

these are about as good as they could be, i.e.
> serviceable but dull. At least they fill a gap in the range, unlike the
> unnecessary BT sprues in every boxed set.

Not unnecessary at all. The bits allow you to make a force that actually
looks like BT's in the GW artwork, which is good for people who like
modelling. It is a step is the right direction for GW to take with the
non-codex chapters that have a different look.

> Also, why must we have more dull Marines foisted on us just when
> there's a new Tau book to look forward to on the horizon?

Like anyone gives a toss about the Tau.

Rob

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> >From the B&C forums:
>>http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80876&p...
>>
>>40K wargear manual
>
> The what? Don't the Codices provide a complete reference guide to their
> armies' wargear?

Maybe this is GWs attempt to dodge all of the "When is my codex next?"
questions by updating all the weapon, gear, and vehcile stats all at once.
Either that or they're trying real hard to make people model their kill
teams with non-standard weaponry.

>>BT Vehicle/Dreadnaught sprue
>
> Now this isn't a bad idea. Not worth paying for, but still no doubt
> cheaper than the FW equivalents.

Very nice idea. At least they might fit the models properly without being a
"hair" off in nearly all dimensions like FW resin.

>>Close Combat Terminators and sprues.
>
> Well, given that both the new-style lightning claws and new Terminators
> are less than inspiring, these are about as good as they could be, i.e.
> serviceable but dull. At least they fill a gap in the range, unlike the
> unnecessary BT sprues in every boxed set. I thought GW complained it
> didn't have enough shelf space as it was? After all, Kislevites and
> Dogs of War are still Mail Order Only.

Don't know why people are wetting themselves over these on the B&C board -
guess they don't realize they're still cost $50 (at the very least) for 5
PLASTIC models.

> Also, why must we have more dull Marines foisted on us just when
> there's a new Tau book to look forward to on the horizon?

See my comment on the wargear book. This could be the "covert" Tau update -
give everyone the updated (4E) stats so everyone will stop screaming and
give GW the time to develop the Vespids.

In article <1122805799.240150.120680@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, pbowles@aol.com wrote:
>>From the B&C forums:
>>http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80876&p...
>>
>>In descending order they are:
>>
>>New SM scouts (nice, shame about the heads though)
>
> Look much the same to me; why are the snipers being held for a later
> release, though?

The new scouts are supposed to be plastic, and I assume that it was
too difficult to make a single plastic set with bp&ccw, bolters,
shotguns *and* sniper rifles.

<snip>

>>Space Marine Terminator Chaplain (got to be one of the best GW models ever,
>>its brilliant)
>
> Ugh, it's anything but. GW skull masks just don't get any better, do
> they? Little did I know when I spurned the new Dark Reapers that they
> would turn out to be a high point in that department. As for the rest,
> there's just too much junk cluttering the thing and the crozius head
> looks clumsy and far too thick.

While it might not be "one of the best GW models ever" it is a lot
better than the current chaplain in terminator armour.

<snip>

>>Close Combat Terminators and sprues.
>
> Well, given that both the new-style lightning claws and new Terminators
> are less than inspiring, these are about as good as they could be, i.e.
> serviceable but dull.

<snip>

I really like the pose of the BT terminator in the lower right corner.
It really looks like he is using the shield for protection while
holding the thunder hammer ready to do some serious smiting.

--
Joakim

> Don't know why people are wetting themselves over these on the B&C board -
> guess they don't realize they're still cost $50 (at the very least) for 5
> PLASTIC models.

Maybe its because there are other countries in the world, not just the USA,
that some people on the B&C come from, where they pay a lot less than $50
for terminators?

Here in the UK the regular Terminators are £20, which is $35. The assault
terminators will cost the same when they are released.

Rob

"jockelinde" <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message
> In article <1122805799.240150.120680@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> pbowles@aol.com wrote:

>>>New SM scouts (nice, shame about the heads though)
>>
>> Look much the same to me; why are the snipers being held for a later
>> release, though?
>
> The new scouts are supposed to be plastic, and I assume that it was
> too difficult to make a single plastic set with bp&ccw, bolters,
> shotguns *and* sniper rifles.

Plastic squads and metal special weapons. Isn't that the usual GW way?
Snipers will be in blisters, I'd expect.
--
Jon Hedge,
"The chances are, I said it in jest."

RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

In article <42ed66ce$0$11911$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Jon Hedge wrote:

> "jockelinde" <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message

>>> Look much the same to me; why are the snipers being held for a later
>>> release, though?
>>
>> The new scouts are supposed to be plastic, and I assume that it was
>> too difficult to make a single plastic set with bp&ccw, bolters,
>> shotguns *and* sniper rifles.
>>

> Plastic squads and metal special weapons. Isn't that the usual GW way?
> Snipers will be in blisters, I'd expect.

I like the current snipers. Too bad there are only two different
poses. If the snipers stay metal I'd like to see a few more poses.
Unfortuneately new snipers are rather unlikely since the new scout
releases are part of the BT release schedule and BTs don't get
snipers.

--
Joakim

>>> Look much the same to me; why are the snipers being held for a later
>>> release, though?
>>
>> The new scouts are supposed to be plastic, and I assume that it was
>> too difficult to make a single plastic set with bp&ccw, bolters,
>> shotguns *and* sniper rifles.
>>

> Plastic squads and metal special weapons. Isn't that the usual GW way?
> Snipers will be in blisters, I'd expect.

Not in this case. There will be a plastic add on sprue that will come out
later which will include the sniper rifles, cloaks, and kneeling scout legs.

Rob

"Robert Williams" <mail@rscc.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> The new scouts are supposed to be plastic, and I assume that it was
>>> too difficult to make a single plastic set with bp&ccw, bolters,
>>> shotguns *and* sniper rifles.
>>>

>> Plastic squads and metal special weapons. Isn't that the usual GW way?
>> Snipers will be in blisters, I'd expect.
>
> Not in this case. There will be a plastic add on sprue that will come out
> later which will include the sniper rifles, cloaks, and kneeling scout
> legs.

Has this been confirmed?

Robert Williams wrote:
> http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80876&pid=934680&st=0&#entry934680

> New SM scouts (nice, shame about the heads though)

Not a bad translation to plastic.

> 40K wargear manual

Huh? What is this for?

> BT Crusader (Tactical) squad sprue
> BT Command Squad sprue

Not bad, but nothing to drool over. So they get no weapon options
besides CC? OK. And thankfully, finally, there are now bent left arms
and straight right arms.

> BT Vehicle/Dreadnaught sprue

This seems hugely wasteful. 3 mini-sprues would seem to make more
sense. Guess this is for an army deal.

> Space Marine Terminator Chaplain (got to be one of the best GW models
> ever, its brilliant)

Now, now, it's no Green Knight.

> Close Combat Terminators and sprues.

WTF is up with the Lightning Claws? The RT and 40k2/40k3 designs are
clearly, unquestionably superior. *This* is the reason I might not even
want to convert to plastic Termies.

\-|-/