VHS into All-in-Wonder

marseille

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2004
Hi, all.
I'm sorry if this is a 'newbie' question--if there's somewhere to direct me, please do. I've searched all over this site (which has helped me greatly in the past) but can't find just what I need.
I've got the ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT. It's about a year old. This is the first time I'm really playing with the TV and video-in capabilities.

I've got the TV working. Part of me thinks my problems are software-based.

Problem 1: Trying to take a VHS program to a DVD (ordinarily I wouldn't do this, but it has to do with my brother-in-law, who's an active duty Marine, and a football game my parents taped for him). I believe I have the cabling hooked up properly (component and both audio cables into the purple adapter into my video card). I can't seem to get any of the programs that came with the All-in-Wonder to display the VCR input, so I can capture. I tried the TV viewer, and I tried the capture capability from Roxio CD/DVD Creator. Am I missing something?

Problem 2: In using the GuidePlus TV viewer/recorder, it seems like I have to leave the TV display going all the time. The minimize button for some reason makes the TV display *full-screen*. I love the TV Guide part, but for the most part I'd rather just set it to record some things and walk away....

Anyone know of better documentation on the ATI software, and/or, is this a case where I should get another kind of software? It's awfully confusing, and very under-documented for the kind of detail I like.

Thanks *so* much.
Marseille

pat

Expert
did you switch input, from tuner to composite in the capture software? And is the video input connected to thw connector that has an arrow pointing IN in the purple device? Same for the audio connectors.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(")

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Can you see the AIW in Windows Movie Maker?

You should be able to record from the VCR if you hook it up correctly. As was mentioned in the other post, make sure that you are aware of the kind of connection you've made, and select from the proper "Video Input Source" drop-down (composite or svideo) in Movie Maker.

You should be able to record using Windows Movie Maker, if all is installed correctly. However, the software that came with the AIW should be able to do it better.

Milton_Waddams

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I was having similar problems with my card and I did a search to find good software to use. It turned out to be one that I already had. Intervideo WinDVD Creator. I just started it and it worked perfectly. No setup was involved. You might want to look into it. I believe you can download a trial version of it.

http://home.centurytel.net/Raistlin/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
From the TV viewing window, choose the input connector. Connect the VCR to Composite In and Audio In. Works fine for me.

Now, it might be hard to find the right button on some on-screen controller styles, I use "classic" so all those buttons are easy to see.

If the VHS tape you're using is Macrovision protected, you're out of luck, you'll see a black screen with some kind of error message about protected content.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>